ADVERTISEMENT

Kansas to Big 10? (link)

Interesting thoughts. Thanks.

The number of schools in the “Out of Luck” group that are either strongly basketball-centered or lean toward basketball is striking, as is the drop off in prominence between the premier 16/24 and the crowd in which IU would find itself. Also notable is how few schools west of the Texas/Mississippi River line are to be found.

I don’t know what I would put past the SEC at this point …
If the SEC was smart they would know this could kill a lot of athletic departments. I’m not sure if it’s really in there best interest to just take take take. I think they cast a wide net and see what they get.

Some of this was being foreshadowed by years. The last clue should’ve been the expansion of the BCS to 8-12 teams. Sets the SEC up to get multiple teams in. I can guarantee you some shady crap was going on behind closed doors. The ncaa loves the SEC.

The other 4 P% leagues were stupid, stupid, stupid and stupid to agree in principle to that expansion. If they had any guts & brains they'd back out of it if TX & OK commit to the SEC. Too bad Wayne Duke is dead.

Last edited:
Reactions: Excellent Post
This is one of the reasons being a basketball school really sucks eggs. You just do not have much leverage. Look at Duke, they have ZERO leverage if the ACC falls apart. They'll end up in the poor house...

I've been ahead of this curve for decades. I knew being a bball school sucked and it does. 🙃

Back in the Big 10 expansion days, I would visit the U Conn Boneyard forum some....They are exhibit #1 for your point. That could happen to us. The IU-Purdue football game might end up looking more like DePauw and Wabash.

Some of this was being foreshadowed by years. The last clue should’ve been the expansion of the BCS to 8-12 teams. Sets the SEC up to get multiple teams in. I can guarantee you some shady crap was going on behind closed doors. The ncaa loves the SEC.

Jim Delany was a very smart guy, but in the end he might have been too smart and too devious for our own good.

Since the PSU addition and the Arkansas/South Carolina response, we've been stuck in the expansion game with the SEC.....and they've always held the better cards. Hell, they still have Clemson & Florida State to go to if they want. Meanwhile, we're talking about Kansas. Nothing against Kansas, but.....

I've got Winners has been all over this.......Delaney played the break up the ACC or Big 12 game, and when neither of those things happened, the BT was ultimately screwed, because all sane limits have been removed and only $ is talking now.

Jim Delany was a very smart guy, but in the end he might have been too smart and too devious for our own good.

Since the PSU addition and the Arkansas/South Carolina response, we've been stuck in the expansion game with the SEC.....and they've always held the better cards. Hell, they still have Clemson & Florida State to go to if they want. Meanwhile, we're talking about Kansas. Nothing against Kansas, but.....

I've got Winners has been all over this.......Delaney played the break up the ACC or Big 12 game, and when neither of those things happened, the BT was ultimately screwed, because all sane limits have been removed and only $ is talking now.
SEC doesn’t care about anything but football and power. They don’t care about academics. The B1G wants to look good not dominate. Look who our Commissioner is?

Reactions: vesuvius13
If we internet dummies are already discussing conference deadweight (“What do Vandy and Mississippi State offer our conference?” for example, on Saturday Down South), you can be sure those thoughts have crossed more than one mind in league offices. I can’t imagine the “optics,” as the kids say, of actually tossing members, in some cases *founding* members, but we’re talking money and power here, and that’s the entirety of the ends being pursued, as far as I can see.

So who knows?

Most of you guys think extremely small-time. Sec adds Texas and Oklahoma and you think our response should be to add Kansas and Colorado…. Lol
Reports Kansas and Iowa state. Yikes. A far cry from tx and ok. That’s just adding for the sake of adding. Nothing notable about either in football nor academics nor markets really. Kc I guess.

Reactions: johnboiler123
Reports Kansas and Iowa state. Yikes. A far cry from tx and ok. That’s just adding for the sake of adding. Nothing notable about either in football nor academics nor markets really. Kc I guess.
Actually ISU is the other 'half' of Iowa - Ames /Des Moines. UI is primarily Cedar Rapids/Iowa City and 100 miles east. Iowa population is not nearly on the scale of Texas but the center and western part of the state is likely to have more affinity with ISU so it's not an inconsequential addition. Same with Kansas.

Apart from Kansas, realistically it was either going to be ISU or OSU. Academically, ISU has one of the most highly regarded literature programs in the country and along with KU is ranked ahead of Nebraska. Not the 'home runs' additions that TX & OK represent, but not strike-outs either.

Have to wonder about having so many 'big fish in small pond' - LSU, Alabama, OK, GA, FL, A&M could all rate Top 10 in any given year. Finishing third/fourth in Conference (or even a Conference division) doesn't carry the same cachet as contending for or winning one, so not at all clear how smart this move is going to look for either TX or OK in a few years. Entirely possible the alumni and fan bases look back at this move in a few years with regret.

Last edited:
Actually ISU is the other 'half' of Iowa - Ames /Des Moines. UI is primarily Cedar Rapids/Iowa City and 100 miles east. Iowa population is not nearly on the scale of Texas but the center and western part of the state is likely to have more affinity with ISU so it's not an inconsequential addition. Same with Kansas.

Apart from Kansas, realistically it was either going to be ISU or OSU. Academically, ISU has one of the most highly regarded literature programs in the country and along with KU is ranked ahead of Nebraska. Not the 'home runs' additions that TX & OK represent, but not strike-outs either.

Have to wonder about having so many 'big fish in small pond' - LSU, Alabama, OK, GA, FL, A&M could all rate Top 10 in any given year. Finishing third/fourth in Conference (or even a Conference division) doesn't carry the same cachet as contending for/ or winning one, so not at all clear how smart this move is going to look for either TX or OK in a few years. Entirely possible the alumni and fan bases look back at this move in a few years with regret.
You sure isu and lit? I know Iowa has a world famous writing workshop/program. Are markets that impt? We’re better off with those two schools than maintaining the status quo?

I’m just not sold that we pick up any schools from the big 12. Reports are that multiple pac12 schools are reaching out. I know people will say it can’t work. Time zone blah blah blah. With pods there won’t be as big of issue with that. I say let’s get those markets. Let’s think outside the box a bit. USC, Oregon, UCLA? I think those are way better than scraps.

You sure isu and lit? I know Iowa has a world famous writing workshop/program. Are markets that impt? We’re better off with those two schools than maintaining the status quo?
What is writing if not literature?

Wasn't addressing "better", and very likely my sense of that differs from that of the B10 governing body. As it seems they believe bigger is better, and assuming they feel compelled to 'keep pace" with the SEC by adding two schools near-term, realistically they have limited options.

Putting aside the fairy tale additions of USC/UCLA, Clemson, FSU, etc., the other B12 schools are essentially all that's available within the P5 ranks. Since the BIG is still exclusively secular, assumed that adding TCU or Baylor is unlikely, which leaves (in descending order of academic rating) ISU, KU, KSU, OSU, WV and Texas Tech.

Expecting the BIG to magically cobble together something comparable to TX/OK is absurd, especially as the B12 was the one P5 Conference ripe for disassembly. The SEC rocked it (if one chooses to believe that), but again, not like the B10 lost - not finishing first this round, but still cashing huge checks.

Why stop at USC, UCLA, and Oregon? The Big Ten should be thinking seriously about annexing British Columbia.
If it's football, it's got to be the Annexation of Puerto Rico.

Looks like UT & OU made it official this morning with the formal announcement that they won't be renewing their B12 agreement.

If you look around, it's being mentioned that the Big Ten will/be forced to expand to the West Coast. That includes Stanford, USC, UCLA and Oregon. Interesting it is...

Reactions: iulb and vesuvius13
I say we choose from these teams to pick up 6: Vanderbilt and/or Missouri (from the SEC); Kansas, Iowa State and West Virginia (from the Big 12 ...,the Big 12 is toast..., may as well scoop up most of the largest crumbs); then add either Massachusetts (to gain the Boston market) and/or Syracuse, Temple, Pitt, or...Colorado...

My personal preferences at this point (because I'm still stuck in the concept of geographical rivalries): Add Kansas, Iowa State, and Missouri in the West and add Vanderbilt, West Virginia and Massachusetts to the East...

I say we choose from these teams to pick up 6: Vanderbilt and/or Missouri (from the SEC); Kansas, Iowa State and West Virginia (from the Big 12 ...,the Big 12 is toast..., may as well scoop up most of the largest crumbs); then add either Massachusetts (to gain the Boston market) and/or Syracuse, Temple, Pitt, or...Colorado...

My personal preferences at this point (because I'm still stuck in the concept of geographical rivalries): Add Kansas, Iowa State, and Missouri in the West and add Vanderbilt, West Virginia and Massachusetts to the East...
UMASS? LOL Let’s add Hofstra instead. Maybe The Citadel 🙄

If this truly is the standard then here's the list of schools: https://www.aau.edu/sites/default/files/AAU-Files/Who-We-Are/AAU-Member-List.pdf

My first six from that group would be: Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa State, Vanderbilt, and Virginia (seemingly unlikely)...

Without the pickup of VA perhaps a wildcard pickup of either Rice (Houston) or Tulane (New Orleans). I personally have no interest in either Pitt or Ga Tech but they'd have to be included in any list of possibles...

The Citidal would be great but they're not a member school... 😉😎🍺

Notre Dame would be a great fit geographically at # 6 but by most accounts they'll never go for it...

Last edited:
UMASS? LOL Let’s add Hofstra instead. Maybe The Citadel 🙄

The concept is/was snagging the Boston area TV market...

I couldn't care in the least whether whoever we add is initially competitive or not... Let em take their lumps (whoever they may be) for four or five years while they get up to speed...

It needs to be remembered that with this type of expansion we'll be replacing at least one and possibly even two out of conference games with in conference opponents... Bringing in only killers isn't the brightest of ideas with that in mind...

The concept is/was snagging the Boston area TV market...

I couldn't care in the least whether whoever we add is initially competitive or not... Let em take their lumps (whoever they may be) for four or five years while they get up to speed...

It needs to be remembered that with this type of expansion we'll be replacing at least one and possibly even two out of conference games with in conference opponents... Bringing in only killers isn't the brightest of ideas with that in mind...
Who in Boston watches UMass football?

Nobody. BC barely a blip. Boston is a pro sports town.

Separately, I hope the Big XII soldiers on so Texas and OU are stuck and have to recruit while they are stuck in a 4 year state of conference flux.
It's a mute point. If the ESPN article is correct then no one outside the AAU membership will be considered.

It's a mute point. If the ESPN article is correct then no one outside the AAU membership will be considered.
I thought the same thing, but then someone pointed out that Nebraska doesn't have the AAU accreditation.

Apparently the AAU association brings in 10 billion dollars to the Big Ten. Don't let the Big Ten deceive you, this isn't about academics, it's about BIG money!!!

The BT has pulled that high and mighty B.S. for years, not so fast....So if a particular school isn't associated with AAU, it just means they don't add enough $$$$ to be attractive to the Big Ten conference.

The teams I would like to see added should be close to the midwest, so that it would be easier to travel to away games! Cincinnatti, KY, Louisville, Memphis, Kansas, Pitt/WV. All good in both FB/Bball! Get atleast 20 teams and force the B10 to change its name for once!

The teams I would like to see added should be close to the midwest, so that it would be easier to travel to away games! Cincinnatti, KY, Louisville, Memphis, Kansas, Pitt/WV. All good in both FB/Bball! Get atleast 20 teams and force the B10 to change its name for once!
Markets are going to drive this along with AAU. No AAU? No dice. That big west coast market I’m sure looks tasty. Wonder if the NIL will be considered too.

Apparently the AAU association brings in 10 billion dollars to the Big Ten. Don't let the Big Ten deceive you, this isn't about academics, it's about BIG money!!!

The BT has pulled that high and mighty B.S. for years, not so fast....So if a particular school isn't associated with AAU, it just means they don't add enough $$$$ to be attractive to the Big Ten conference.
I’m arguing with a guy right now about the AAU and the big ten consortium. He can’t grasp that the big ten brings in more research and media money than any other conference. He can’t grasp that the money doesn’t follow the school. That’s why you won’t see Ohio state or Michigan leave the B1G. The University won’t leave that money on the table. He doesn’t understand that they team up on big research projects. I should know I worked on one at IU. It was big money crash study spread out all over different AAU schools. It shouldn’t surprise you it’s on Rupp rafters.🤣

Why even bother having conferences ? I realize back at inception travel was a much bigger issue but still having conferences with teams on both coasts maybe? I don't get it , yes I get the dollars part and it saddens me. Football in the fall , playing rivals trying to win the conference championship.

Last edited:
I’m arguing with a guy right now about the AAU and the big ten consortium. He can’t grasp that the big ten brings in more research and media money than any other conference. He can’t grasp that the money doesn’t follow the school. That’s why you won’t see Ohio state or Michigan leave the B1G. The University won’t leave that money on the table. He doesn’t understand that they team up on big research projects. I should know I worked on one at IU. It was big money crash study spread out all over different AAU schools. It shouldn’t surprise you it’s on Rupp rafters.🤣
Research money has always dwarfed sports money. It's billions not millions. I'm good with AAU requirement. We'll see if anyone cares in the end of the sports grab. Go Hoosiers!

West Virginia is soooo thirsty. The article points to ACC leanings, but that's just an opinion of the author.

Kansas, JUST what the B1G West needs. Maybe we'll be able to scoop up Clemson to add to the East, ya know, just to keep the divisions balanced.

The Big Ten has the B1G one, Ohio State.

B1G West > W/L record, when remove OSU games.

Purdue ironically has last win over Buckeyes in 2018 in B1G play. Another B1G West program got one in 2017.

Who is next team to take the B1G flagship program down inside the Big Ten?

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT