ADVERTISEMENT

Kaleb Banks

Did everyone forget about Fino?
I think he has the highest floor this year. I just dont see him being a major contributor by the way he plays. I think he will bring more value than the stat sheet shows because he is smart and will have the ball a lot putting others in position to succeed. I dont see him taking over a game with D or O tho.

I think he has the lowest floor this year. I just dont see him being a major contributor by the way he plays. I think he will bring more value than the stat sheet shows because he is smart and will have the ball a lot putting others in position to succeed. I dont see him taking over a game with D or O tho.
Uh… what? You know Fino refers to JHS, right? What you just said is exactly opposite of what everyone who’s seen practices have said.

Uh… what? You know Fino refers to JHS, right? What you just said is exactly opposite of what everyone who’s seen practices have said.
Highest floor** everything else in my post makes sense

Okay, that makes a little more sense, because he definitely doesn’t have the lowest floor.
I would guess he plays more than any freshmen this year, but I would also bet the others have bigger flash moments. I think he is more of a sure thing than any of the others, but I also think his ceiling this year might be lower than any of the others.

I think there is an outside long shot chance that CJ comes in and is a shooter right away.

I think there is an outside long shot chance Kaleb comes in and is the true wing we have been missing for years.

I think there is an outside long shot chance Malik starts in front of Race come February.

I think all of those things are more likely to happen than JHS being the starting PG running the show come February. I think that has the least possible chance of happening, because we have a top 10 PG in the country, maybe top 5 leading our team this year. This is X's team and JHS is not going to be close to him this year IMO.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I would guess he plays more than any freshmen this year, but I would also bet the others have bigger flash moments. I think he is more of a sure thing than any of the others, but I also think his ceiling this year might be lower than any of the others.

I think there is an outside long shot chance that CJ comes in and is a shooter right away.

I think there is an outside long shot chance Kaleb comes in and is the true wing we have been missing for years.

I think there is an outside long shot chance Malik starts in front of Race come February.

I think all of those things are more likely to happen than JHS being the starting PG running the show come February. I think that has the least possible chance of happening, because we have a top 10 PG in the country, maybe top 5 leading our team this year. This is X's team and JHS is not going to be close to him this year IMO.
I think JHS will have a very good year with numbers similar to Yogi’s freshman year. I think he starts alongside XJ, so it doesn’t really matter who is the “PG”.

I don’t think Gunn has basically any hope of playing consistent minutes this year. If he is, then Bates didn’t improve at all, and I doubt that’s the case.

Banks and Malik have been getting quite a bit of hype, so I could see them having some big time flashes. I think their hype and potential emergence hurts Geronimo and Kopp more than JHS though.

I’m sticking with my same starter prediction for now:

XJ
Bates
JHS
Race
TJD

I think JHS will have a very good year with numbers similar to Yogi’s freshman year. I think he starts alongside XJ, so it doesn’t really matter who is the “PG”.

I don’t think Gunn has basically any hope of playing consistent minutes this year. If he is, then Bates didn’t improve at all, and I doubt that’s the case.

Banks and Malik have been getting quite a bit of hype, so I could see them having some big time flashes. I think their hype and potential emergence hurts Geronimo and Kopp more than JHS though.

I’m sticking with my same starter prediction for now:

XJ
Bates
JHS
Race
TJD
That was my pick for starting 5 too. I also think Yogi is a very comparable expectations for him as a frosh. But yogi was pretty bad as a frosh.

That was my pick for starting 5 too. I also think Yogi is a very comparable expectations for him as a frosh. But yogi was pretty bad as a frosh.
Saying Yogi was bad is a little misleading. He had a ton of talent around him, similar to what JHS will have this year. I think JHS will have a bigger impact defensively than Yogi his first year.

I don’t buy into the JHS one and done theory like some are, but I also think he will be very solid. I think he will be solid enough to be an upgrade to Stewart or Kopp in the starting lineup.

Saying Yogi was bad is a little misleading. He had a ton of talent around him, similar to what JHS will have this year. I think JHS will have a bigger impact defensively than Yogi his first year.

I don’t buy into the JHS one and done theory like some are, but I also think he will be very solid. I think he will be solid enough to be an upgrade to Stewart or Kopp in the starting lineup.
He just didn't have good numbers, hard for freshmen to have great numbers. 45% from two, 30% from three, 25% TO rate. That is bad stats.

Reactions: T.M.P.
Is Fino=JHS?

I would expect similar role and production to the departed Rob. Perhaps more of a facilitator and a notch down or two as a defender. Those minutes are up for grabs.

He just didn't have good numbers, hard for freshmen to have great numbers. 45% from two, 30% from three, 25% TO rate. That is bad stats.
Still, for a freshman on that team he played very well. 26% assist rate and a +10 net rating. Either way, I expect JHS to be very solid and at the very least will provide a better option to backup XJ than Rob did.

Reactions: Cavanagh
He was a freshman on a fairly veteran team. This team is OLD and experienced, so it’s not a bad comparison (and perhaps expectations should be honed in for him slightly)

Reactions: Cavanagh
Still, for a freshman on that team he played very well. 26% assist rate and a +10 net rating. Either way, I expect JHS to be very solid and at the very least will provide a better option to backup XJ than Rob did.
Ya, Rob gave us PU! Still just shocked Lander never saw the floor. How could he be that wildly overrated.

Reactions: B1G_Fan
He was a freshman on a fairly veteran team. This team is OLD and experienced, so it’s not a bad comparison (and perhaps expectations should be honed in for him slightly)
Most experienced IU team in IU history.

Reactions: B1G_Fan
Agree. And imagine if he shot better.
I would have guessed that shot improvement is a skill that could come with coaching and practice.
Unfortunately his shot mechanics are very poor, much harder to develop into a good to great shooter with poor mechanics.

Ya, Rob gave us PU! Still just shocked Lander never saw the floor. How could he be that wildly overrated.
He was. Turnover and foul machine, poor defensive positioning. Very quick, great penetrator, average shot, physically not equipped, bodywise, to play in the B1G. No real secret and no real questions. All you needed to do was watch him in the games he played.

He didn’t see the floor under two different coaches! Should tell you something. Same for Leal.

Where can I read the comments about practice and individuals performance. That’s my favorite part of off season

Where can I read the comments about practice and individuals performance. That’s my favorite part of off season
I’ll just post one of the quotes I saw from TOS:

-X has been playing at an extremely high level, basically a step beyond where we saw him at his best at the end of the season. Shooting 42% from 3 in tracked practice games.

-JHS is VERY good. Never gets sped up, just controls the game

-Malik is so skilled. Has impressed players and coaches. Has been shooting outside shots as well and making them

-Miller shooting 44% from 3

-Kaleb has impressed as well but needs to get stronger and pick up the defense.

-Logan has impressed recently and is starting to out on weight for the first time. Really has dedicated himself this Summer.

-X has been playing at an extremely high level, basically a step beyond where we saw him at his best at the end of the season. Shooting 42% from 3 in tracked practice games.

-Malik is so skilled. Has impressed players and coaches. Has been shooting outside shots as well and making them

-Logan has impressed recently and is starting to out on weight for the first time. Really has dedicated himself this Summer.
Awesome thank you

Hoping to hear about Bates, JG and Gunn at some point

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I’d take them too from what I’ve heard. You may be “old” but I’ve never sniffed excellence. All those years watching IU, and the memories, is an unreal gift.
You really missed out ! From Knights hiring thru 83 a couple down years but that was just dominance, Alford came thru in 87 with some help but those 10 yrs IU save injuries was just a dominant force . You think about and 75 had more experience, if May doesnt get hurt IU is somewhere around 65-0 two championships

You really missed out ! From Knights hiring thru 83 a couple down years but that was just dominance, Alford came thru in 87 with some help but those 10 yrs IU save injuries was just a dominant force . You think about and 75 had more experience, if May doesnt get hurt IU is somewhere around 65-0 two championships
I’ve heard stories about how wild the hall was in the 70s and 80s. Just packed, people coming from all over the state no matter the time or day. Can’t imagine it.

Was at Senior Day in "87" against the Buckeyes. Proud, loud and electric atmosphere. Really not sure any of us there at the time envisioned the next 3+ weeks of IU glory.

Reactions: kkott and .Gerdis
Gonna be the guy for IU out of this class. Already turning heads…

Better pin this one. ☝️
I will wait and see. But I hope we have 2-3 freshmen who surprise us in a positive way. Heck, I at least want 1 of them to exceed expectations.

I’ve heard stories about how wild the hall was in the 70s and 80s. Just packed, people coming from all over the state no matter the time or day. Can’t imagine it.
It wasn’t just the Hall. The state and fans worldwide literally hit the pause button when the Hoosiers were playing. That lasted well past Calbert and is still true to a lesser degree today.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT