ADVERTISEMENT

Kaanan Carlyle

I’d say Rice is more of a point guard while Carlyle is a true combo guard.
Multiple ball handlers will be an asset for IU. You saw how bad they were without X playing and dishing. Galloway did some great assists but his D,free throw pct. and shooting are huge liabilities for the team. Cupps cannot do it. Looked promising his first couple games but regressed the whole season. Rice,Carlyle,Conwell,Ballou/Williams and Tyson would be a great haul. If Cupps left that affords two more bench guys if Woody fills them which he likely won't.

Multiple ball handlers will be an asset for IU. You saw how bad they were without X playing and dishing. Galloway did some great assists but his D,free throw pct. and shooting are huge liabilities for the team. Cupps cannot do it. Looked promising his first couple games but regressed the whole season. Rice,Carlyle,Conwell,Ballou/Williams and Tyson would be a great haul. If Cupps left that affords two more bench guys if Woody fills them which he likely won't.
Cupps did not regress during the season. That kid is as tough as they come and he contributed more as the season progressed. I’d bet that Cupps gets minutes this year. This past season he had to play to replace X and this year he’ll play less if we get the portal players it appears we’ll get, but he’ll get some meaningful minutes. I’m sure he’s working like hell this offseason to be better. He’s from right down the road and a friend of mine was an assistant coach at his high school and said Gabe is the hardest working kid he’s ever been involved with.

Cupps did not regress during the season. That kid is as tough as they come and he contributed more as the season progressed. I’d bet that Cupps gets minutes this year. This past season he had to play to replace X and this year he’ll play less if we get the portal players it appears we’ll get, but he’ll get some meaningful minutes. I’m sure he’s working like hell this offseason to be better. He’s from right down the road and a friend of mine was an assistant coach at his high school and said Gabe is the hardest working kid he’s ever been involved with.
Do you think Cupps will be better than Brayden Smith next year?

• Haha
Reactions: Monk1014
Have either of you actually watched him play or seen him shoot? No. Well it's obvious. Please quit talking out of your asses ... it makes you appear stupid.

His mechanics are fine, no glitches. He also has the ability to shoot 3s off the bounce and is very proficient in the mid game on pull ups. He's not purely a catch and shoot .. almost half of his shots came from 3pt range with only 2/3 coming from a pass. Kanaan also draws fouls at a good rate even though he doesn't get to the rim as much as you'd want. He may not be a pure shooter, but he is a scorer, and can shoot well enough teams have to play him honest.

It was also his freshman year, for a freshman his numbers are excellent. Which is probably why he's one of the most wanted guards in the portal.... Plus I guess neither of you realize this but in the game of basketball, players can improve, it happens all the time especially between fr and so year and it isn't against the rules...
You can post all you want about his current abilities. The fact is his numbers are not good.

"Shoot off the bounce".

Find me some past IU players who shot less than 39% on over 9 attempts per game?

Crickets....

How about Al Durham with twice as many turnovers and half the assists? Sitting at the bottom of the conference, mind you.

If Carlyle signs with IU he will need to get a lot better or he won't play much next year.

You can post all you want about his current abilities. The fact is his numbers are not good.

"Shoot off the bounce".

Find me some past IU players who shot less than 39% on over 9 attempts per game?

Crickets....

How about Al Durham with twice as many turnovers and half the assists? Sitting at the bottom of the conference, mind you.

If Carlyle signs with IU he will need to get a lot better or he won't play much next year.
WuT?

Sorry but he did not improve at all.I want him to succeed but I don't see it at IU.He is MAC at best. I'll gladly eat crow if he proves otherwise.

It's mystifying you'd think that, but you're welcome to your opinion. He will contribute at IU this year too.
Cupps was just a frosh. He's overmatched sometimes athletically on defense, (I think that's been oversold though as a problem, he's no stiff) but he can be a good player.

If Indiana gets improved point guard play, and Coach has already done something there, that will free up Cupps more for shooting. He was just a frosh, he's going to be able to shoot. Sounds like a gym rat... those guys figure out a way to score.

Crickets, because nobody can figure out what your point is with that request?
RMK cultist stuck in 1985 ... NBA draft guru as a side gig. Currently trying to define the rules of being a good shooter according to the book of RMK ..

Am I missing something...Damezi averaged 1.3 pts at Loyola and then 9 ppg on a bad Detroit team.
He means my snide remark that a guy leaving us who hasn't been very productive with us, then lighting it up at DePaul. Won't...

I was mostly knocking why do guy who supposedly can shoot or score when we are recruiting them, don't develop. So I said watch, with our luck he will now. I was mostly joking, but I hope Gunn does well, he has untapped ability.

I watched Damezi scored 37 pts and hit 6 threes in a high school game. i was amazed at how poor he played at IU. The lack of ability to play defense didn't surprise me, but the inability to show any offense was strange.

Reactions: OpenWheels
I watched Damezi scored 37 pts and hit 6 threes in a high school game. i was amazed at how poor he played at IU. The lack of ability to play defense didn't surprise me, but the inability to show any offense was strange.
I thought the same thing when Damezi was at high school in South Bend. They showed clips of his season games on local news and I thought IU had gotten another Eric Gordon. Didn't show up that way in college.

Reactions: ulrey
The step up from High School to D1 basketball at a Power Five school is HUUUGGE.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
The step up from High School to D1 basketball at a Power Five school is HUUUGGE.
I think I only saw him play in his last game. Was it vs Carmel in the tournament? Whatever it was, he totally quit playing once they got behind and it was obvious they weren’t coming back. I wasn’t very impressed with his game/effort while the game was in doubt. When he started pouting and walking around, I had serious doubts. And wasn’t his shot about as flat as any “scorer” you’ve ever seen?

I doubt it would happen but if Cupps could redshirt next season that would be great. We have Rice, Leal, Newton, Galloway, possibly Hickman and Carlyle to all be ball handlers.

Cupps did not regress as the season wore on.

IU is fortunate to have Cupps on its roster, and will continue to be fortunate to have him as long as he's in Bloomington.

And that's with the knowledge that his on the court minutes and role will likely decrease this next year.

Cupps did not regress as the season wore on.

IU is fortunate to have Cupps on its roster, and will continue to be fortunate to have him as long as he's in Bloomington.

And that's with the knowledge that his on the court minutes and role will likely decrease this next year.
If we get Carlyle, we have three high potential sophomore guards that started as freshmen. Step back and let them work out the minutes. One will probably transfer next season after the chips fall.

If we get Carlyle, we have three high potential sophomore guards that started as freshmen. Step back and let them work out the minutes. One will probably transfer next season after the chips fall.
It would seem likely that Rice and Carlyle would start 1/2.

But I'm not sure many realize how good Cupps can be when he's surrounded by good wings. His early cross court look ups would actually lead to transition 3's, and/or good takes to the basket. Same with his skip passes in the half court. And with guys like Rice, Carlyle, Tucker even, Cupps wouldn't be as much on an island defensively as he was this year.

But I'm not sure many realize how good Cupps can be when he's surrounded by good wings. His early cross court look ups would actually lead to transition 3's, and/or good takes to the basket. Same with his skip passes in the half court. And with guys like Rice, Carlyle, Tucker even, Cupps wouldn't be as much on an island defensively as he was this year.

Everyone likes Cupps and appreciates his attitude and effort.

That said, its hard to envision him playing in a top 7 rotation of a FF team.

My second test is: would I be pissed seeing the guy play for Purdue? I wouldn't lose sleep with Cupps playing at Purdue. And I was the first guy on here saying we should recruit Braden Smith......imo, he's got very little of the savvy and slickness of Smith's game, which was very surprising to me.

I'll agree with you on his transition and skip passing. But I thought he was surprisingly inept at feeding the post, and also at the driving/stop & pop game.

Look, the guy shot 4 FTs during the entire BT season. 4. In 404 minutes played. And shot .367 on 2s for the year. And averaged 4.8 ppg and 2.3 assists for every 40M played. He will have to be twice as good next year to become an average BT guard. I'm not saying he can't get there, but his ceiling isn't much higher.

My second test is: would I be pissed seeing the guy play for Purdue? I wouldn't lose sleep with Cupps playing at Purdue. And I was the first guy on here saying we should recruit Braden Smith......imo, he's got very little of the savvy and slickness of Smith's game, which was very surprising to me.

I'll agree with you on his transition and skip passing. But I thought he was surprisingly inept at feeding the post, and also at the driving/stop & pop game.

Look, the guy shot 4 FTs during the entire BT season. 4. In 404 minutes played. And shot .367 on 2s for the year. And averaged 4.8 ppg and 2.3 assists for every 40M played. He will have to be twice as good next year to become an average BT guard. I'm not saying he can't get there, but his ceiling isn't much higher.
We'll see. You could be right. And maybe the days of PGs like him being successful at higher levels of basketball are over? But he's already proven to be really good on state championship level high school teams, and the highest level of AAU teams.

Last years IU team wasn't exactly a great match for him. But maybe modern high level basketball never will be?

He's nothing like Braden Smith...other than their skin color. Braden Smith is better at most things, but Cupps is taller and a better overall defender. But since Smith is one of the best PGs in all of college basketball, there's room for Cupps to still be very effective at IU, and not be as good as Smith.

Reactions: HowaboutaFresca

This. 100% agreement with you.

If Cupps can concentrate on spot up shooting he'll be able to help any good team. Has to improve sure, but I think he has the talent to get there.

Any word on Carlyle?

I'm about to assume we don't get him despite any crystal ball. I figure if guys want to be somewhere the negotiations close quickly.

complete agreement with your first two sentences.

The FT numbers are staggering. Shows how passive he was on offense and unable to drive and draw contact and get to the line. The kid was thrown into the fire out of necessity much sooner then he was ready. Those numbers are Woody's failure. He bet the ranch on X this past year, and rolled snake eyes. I was really pulling for X to get his head screwed back on straight. Just never happened.

If Cupps can concentrate on spot up shooting he'll be able to help any good team. Has to improve sure, but I think he has the talent to get there.

Any word on Carlyle?

I'm about to assume we don't get him despite any crystal ball. I figure if guys want to be somewhere the negotiations close quickly.
I think Carlyle's visit is later this week..19th-21st....?? Ballo visiting right now.

Reactions: OpenWheels

Any word on Carlyle?

His visit is this upcoming weekend. Still sounding like he's ours to lose.

We'll see. You could be right. And maybe the days of PGs like him being successful at higher levels of basketball are over? But he's already proven to be really good on state championship level high school teams, and the highest level of AAU teams.

Last years IU team wasn't exactly a great match for him. But maybe modern high level basketball never will be?

He's nothing like Braden Smith...other than their skin color. Braden Smith is better at most things, but Cupps is taller and a better overall defender. But since Smith is one of the best PGs in all of college basketball, there's room for Cupps to still be very effective at IU, and not be as good as Smith.

I have the feeling we will see significant improvement from Cupps this year.

The one area that he was pretty good at last year was 3 point shooting. at about 36% for the year. I think he'll shoot about that % again but take many more shots. If he's in there, he's got to shoot 3s.

Other than that, he just has to get much more aggressive with his play. I'm hoping he comes in with a 'nothing to lose' attitude. Then he might turn into a decent 6th/7th man.

Someone on here compared him to Aaron Craft, formerly of OSU. That was a horrible comparison, Craft was a very good if limited player right from the start at OSU. He was much more like Braden Smith than Cupps. But one thing about Craft is he never got much better. Cupps hasn't gotten to that point yet, but I think we'll know his true ceiling at this time next year.

I guess I missed all of those scoring passes. But yeah, swinging the ball around the perimeter is his best asset. His assist rate was probably as poor as any starting p5 pg. And that’s while playing with 2 premier post players who only require a simple drop down pass. Add his poor shooting, lack of penetration, and inability to finish anything at rim - and you are looking at a guy who should probably transfer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT