ADVERTISEMENT

Just watched the game on youtube

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
Yesterday I only listened to the game on the radio.

My observations: Despite the balls that were under thrown or overthrown, Lagow never had a downfield pass to a wide open receiver until one pass to Redding with 3 minutes left in the third quarter. And that was the only wide-open receiver all day. Open - yes. Wide-open - no. I only recall Redding breaking one tackle. Every time IU went deep it was a straight drop-back and everybody in the stadium saw it coming.

In the second quarter IU used their third timeout on 4th and 2 on the Northwestern 26 yard line and Paige runs a crossing route where he ends up one yard behind the line of scrimmage when the ball is thrown. A little later IU gets the ball back with 1:44 at their own 16 yard line and no time outs. Not only could they not move the ball, less than two minutes later Northwestern is down at the goal line again. That summed up the play calling all day

At halftime the BTN announcers questioned whether Lagow would even start the second half. I am sure that it was then that the calls on the board came out to bench Lagow. On the first play of the second half Lagow made a good timing throw for 9 yards. On the second play he made a bad throw on a bubble screen and the announcers were saying that you can't be a Big 10 quarterback in you don't make that play every time. Really? I don't recall ever watching a game where the announcers had a quarterback in their sights like these two did.

The decision to go for it on 4th down from midfield after the blocked punt with 8:32 left in third quarter was stupid. The announcers said they had to go for it. What a bunch of idiots. How many yards did the IU defense give up in the second half - 33? This was a call by the old CKW where he was betting that the defense can't stop anybody. A 53-yard field goal attempt when Oakes can't kick the ball into the end zone? Really? And how about the decision to go for two after the touchdown? Remember, the play with some misdirection?

My view of the game: The no-huddle offense was a bust. It looks like a Chinese fire drill every time they would get to the line of scrimmage. It confused the offense more than the defense. Lagow would still be looking at the sideline on almost every play with 5 seconds left on the play clock and never looked at the defense or had time to think about what he was going to do. Nate Sudfeld made it work but it is not working now. There did not seem to be any progression of reads. The play calling sucked. Running Natee east-west is just stupid. Pass blocking by the running backs was pathetic. No misdirection runs - other than the TD

Lagow looks visibly rattled every time he was going to the line scrimmage. CKW can take a lot of credit for that. I doubt screaming at him gave him more confidence. It reminded me of Tom Crean switching defense in the middle of a possession and watching the Hoosiers running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Wilson is pretending that Lagow is Sudfeld - a seasoned Sudfeld. And he thinks they can run straight ahead with Redding as if they are handing the ball off to Howard.

I think they should scrap the no huddle because it is not working. Use it as gimmick. Put Diamont in occasionally just to see if he can make something new work. I am not saying to replace Lagow. Just use the tools that are available. At some point Lagow has to run the ball. I think they are allowed to run the ball to both sides of field. Maybe to the side with the All-American. Stop throwing the ball long. Borrowing a quote that is incorrectly attributed to Woody Hayes: "When you throw the ball, three things can happen -- and two of them are bad".

And on defense - please put the team on the field that played in the second half.

Last edited:
Wilson is below average as a coach, hell, his overall record is atrocious at IU. I was willing to not go here this year, I didn't want to go here this year but his coaching is bad.

The offensive play calling has been awful. I feel like Tom Allen is an excellent coach but I feel like Wilson is really mediocre. It's up to him to recruit an effective, dynamic, athletic, poised, winning QB. Outside of Nate, it's goose eggs for Wilson on these QBs he's recruited.

Northwestern routinely wins 7-9 games per year and is a regular bowl team, sometimes high end bowls. They draw extremely lousy crowds, play in a very small stadium but they win games. They don't make twenty two excuses either...

Wilson is below average as a coach, hell, his overall record is atrocious at IU. I was willing to not go here this year, I didn't want to go here this year but his coaching is bad.

The offensive play calling has been awful. I feel like Tom Allen is an excellent coach but I feel like Wilson is really mediocre. It's up to him to recruit an effective, dynamic, athletic, poised, winning QB. Outside of Nate, it's goose eggs for Wilson on these QBs he's recruited.

Northwestern routinely wins 7-9 games per year and is a regular bowl team, sometimes high end bowls. They draw extremely lousy crowds, play in a very small stadium but they win games. They don't make twenty two excuses either...

Geesh...not worth responding to. Some people...

Reactions: raybo333 and YOTHN

They are and they do.
But Rome was not built overnight.
Northwestern has been building for some time.

I think IU is heading in the right direction on a Macro level. This year has been challenging but I am hopeful we are able to get to a minimum of 6 wins and go to a bowl.

That may not be good enough for some of you but when you look at what we lost from last years team and add to it the players who have missed some of all of the season on O then IMO being bowl eligible is a reasonable accomplishment for a program like IU.

I don't consider 6 wins the destination but just a stoping off point for this season.

My observations: Despite the balls that were under thrown or overthrown, Lagow never had a downfield pass to a wide open receiver until one pass to Redding with 3 minutes left in the third quarter. And that was the only wide-open receiver all day. Open - yes. Wide-open - no. I only recall Redding breaking one tackle. Every time IU went deep it was a straight drop-back and everybody in the stadium saw it coming.

In the second quarter IU used their third timeout on 4th and 2 on the Northwestern 26 yard line and Paige runs a crossing route where he ends up one yard behind the line of scrimmage when the ball is thrown. A little later IU gets the ball back with 1:44 at their own 16 yard line and no time outs. Not only could they not move the ball, less than two minutes later Northwestern is down at the goal line again. That summed up the play calling all day

At halftime the BTN announcers questioned whether Lagow would even start the second half. I am sure that it was then that the calls on the board came out to bench Lagow. On the first play of the second half Lagow made a good timing throw for 9 yards. On the second play he made a bad throw on a bubble screen and the announcers were saying that you can't be a Big 10 quarterback in you don't make that play every time. Really? I don't recall ever watching a game where the announcers had a quarterback in their sights like these two did.

The decision to go for it on 4th down from midfield after the blocked punt with 8:32 left in third quarter was stupid. The announcers said they had to go for it. What a bunch of idiots. How many yards did the IU defense give up in the second half - 33? This was a call by the old CKW where he was betting that the defense can't stop anybody. A 53-yard field goal attempt when Oakes can't kick the ball into the end zone? Really? And how about the decision to go for two after the touchdown? Remember, the play with some misdirection?

My view of the game: The no-huddle offense was a bust. It looks like a Chinese fire drill every time they would get to the line of scrimmage. It confused the offense more than the defense. Lagow would still be looking at the sideline on almost every play with 5 seconds left on the play clock and never looked at the defense or had time to think about what he was going to do. Nate Sudfeld made it work but it is not working now. There did not seem to be any progression of reads. The play calling sucked. Running Natee east-west is just stupid. Pass blocking by the running backs was pathetic. No misdirection runs - other than the TD

Lagow looks visibly rattled every time he was going to the line scrimmage. CKW can take a lot of credit for that. I doubt screaming at him gave him more confidence. It reminded me of Tom Crean switching defense in the middle of a possession and watching the Hoosiers running around like chickens with their heads cut off.

Wilson is pretending that Lagow is Sudfeld - a seasoned Sudfeld. And he thinks they can run straight ahead with Redding as if they are handing the ball off to Howard.

I think they should scrap the no huddle because it is not working. Use it as gimmick. Put Diamont in occasionally just to see if he can make something new work. I am not saying to replace Lagow. Just use the tools that are available. At some point Lagow has to run the ball. I think they are allowed to run the ball to both sides of field. Maybe to the side with the All-American. Stop throwing the ball long. Borrowing a quote that is incorrectly attributed to Woody Hayes: "When you throw the ball, three things can happen -- and two of them are bad".

And on defense - please put the team on the field that played in the second half.
I generally feel you are right on track, but with this, I must disagree, unless you are saying the under throws were not in your equation. The interception early in the game SHOULD have been a touchdown. The receiver was WAY out in front and had beaten coverage. He was WIDE OPEN. The defender closed the gap when the WR had to slow and reach behind. Had this ball been thrown out in front, it was clear sailing to the end zone.

Well maybe it semantics. I am thinking about plays where defenders get rubbed off or confused in coverage and the receiver is all by his lonesome. I am not trying to defend his passing accuracy yesterday. A number of his throws - a large number - were only in the area. Yes, there were a couple of drops but there are always going to be those. And regarding that one play where he underthrew - yes it could of/should have been a touch down. I don't think you can throw the ball 50+ times and not have a few of those.

There was a 3rd down play where he dropped the shotgun snap and threw a very rushed (I am being kind) lob pass in the general direction of the receiver. I have never been a quarterback but to me he does not look comfortable coming to the line of scrimmage. Everything seems to be rushed at the last second.

The ongoing communication with the signs and signals and play changing up to the very last moment look cartoonish. And CKW looking at his voluminous play sheet looks desperate at times. If all of these audibles and adjustments are suppose to create wonderful mismatches then it was a complete failure. More often than not the Northwestern defense seemed to have the plays sniffed out. They outright disregarded Lagow running the ball.

The tight end could not get off the line of scrimmage. Running a pass play on fourth and goal with just two receivers? I just don't get it. And then there was the play in the end zone where the receiver just shook his head when the ball was thrown wide in the corner. I know he didn't shake his head earlier in the game when he could not pull in the TD pass he had both hands on. Everybody looked frustrated. I wouldn't be surprised if right now Lagow wished he was somewhere else too.

This can still be fixed. And it can also completely fall apart.

Last edited:
"This can still be fixed. And it can also fall completely apart." 82hoosier.

Truer words have not be spoken. Thats it in a nutshell. I want Lagow to succeed, oh man in the worst way. Sudfeld struggled at first, not this bad, but he struggled. Tre Roberson did not. We got what we got, though right now if Lagow was brought in as a stopgap...its failed. I thinks he may be as big a project as if we had started a freshman...which I wish we had. Not a juco fan really. Sometimes it works, but most time not. Theres always a reason they are juco with D1 talent.

Anyway, Lagow needs coached up in the worst way. Can they do it? Is he capable of turning it around? Stay tuned...

PS...IF...and its only an if...Lagow doesnt turn it around, he will go down as the worst bit of recruiting in Wilsons tenure, mostly due to the bad timing and our level of dependence on him. Just saying...

"This can still be fixed. And it can also fall completely apart." 82hoosier.

Truer words have not be spoken. Thats it in a nutshell. I want Lagow to succeed, oh man in the worst way. Sudfeld struggled at first, not this bad, but he struggled. Tre Roberson did not. We got what we got, though right now if Lagow was brought in as a stopgap...its failed. I thinks he may be as big a project as if we had started a freshman...which I wish we had. Not a juco fan really. Sometimes it works, but most time not. Theres always a reason they are juco with D1 talent.

Anyway, Lagow needs coached up in the worst way. Can they do it? Is he capable of turning it around? Stay tuned...

PS...IF...and its only an if...Lagow doesnt turn it around, he will go down as the worst bit of recruiting in Wilsons tenure, mostly due to the bad timing and our level of dependence on him. Just saying...

Well look at Chad Kelly, coach was very close to pulling him in. I think had Sudfeld been a senior 2 years ago, he would absolutely have been in an IU uniform. JUCO works and its not the way most prefer to go but with failing to land other QB's (Stevens, Kelly) I think we were in a dire situation where we didn't have time to groom one. We needed someone with size and experience and Lagow provided that.

I haven't given up on the kid but his accuracy is limited to say the least. Not leading a wide open receiver towards the middle of the field and throwing it back in towards the defense is something you rarely see. He pulled that feat off. I am ok with coach platooning the QB situation if anything, just to keep teams off balance in preparation. I know the sky hasn't fallen and I still expect a win this weekend, vs Rutgers and PU but boy, I think our next step will need to be eclipsing that 6 win plateau BEFORE Purdue some year.

I'm glad you all have so much confidence in IU beating MD this weekend...wish I felt the same.

Regarding RL, it's a shame that he just hasn't shown the poise it takes to play QB at this level because he's got a big arm.

QB recruiting hasn't been very good under Wilson and I'm upset with the results of that. I doubt we make a bowl with what we are witnessing. He's just whiffed on too many QBs these last few recruiting classes and that's led him to recruit plan B guys. Stevens and Chad Kelly were his plan A guys, I'm sure.

Wilson is taking a ton of heat for Saturday, and rightfully so.

But I've not seen one post criticizing Coach Allen. He had DEs and linebackers matched up with Carr in the first half. It's the worst defensive plan I've seen IU have to start a game in a long, long time.

Reactions: DANC
Well look at Chad Kelly, coach was very close to pulling him in. I think had Sudfeld been a senior 2 years ago, he would absolutely have been in an IU uniform. JUCO works and its not the way most prefer to go but with failing to land other QB's (Stevens, Kelly) I think we were in a dire situation where we didn't have time to groom one. We needed someone with size and experience and Lagow provided that.

I haven't given up on the kid but his accuracy is limited to say the least. Not leading a wide open receiver towards the middle of the field and throwing it back in towards the defense is something you rarely see. He pulled that feat off. I am ok with coach platooning the QB situation if anything, just to keep teams off balance in preparation. I know the sky hasn't fallen and I still expect a win this weekend, vs Rutgers and PU but boy, I think our next step will need to be eclipsing that 6 win plateau BEFORE Purdue some year.
Good post and I agree...we cant give up on him...no other real option. And yes we can win this weekend. Lagow has played better than Saturday. If he could just calm down, let the game come to him, I think he has the physical skills to compete. His problem is technique and between the ears, both correctable.

And both could remain a problem the rest of the year. Its up to him. The line is not going to improve much, even with Feeney back. Hes not in condition yet nor will be for another couple of weeks. Our running backs cant run without blocking and just dont have the skill to make their own yards. Our coaches continue to call bad offensive plays and show poor time management.

This is who we are...for Lagow to succeed he must overcome this, not use it as an excuse. Can he? Could anyone? Id like to think so but only the next game can tell. If not, our season will sink out of sight.

There were times the TV showed Wilson visibly angry and pulled Lagow to the side. The biggest moment was the play on 3rd down that was an incomplete pass to the end zone. It looked like we didn't have our TEs involved in the pattern. From the way Wilson was acting, I am pretty sure that Lagow called the wrong play in the huddle. Another time Wilson was yelling at the team to hurry off the field. I remember thinking it was good he was seeing the same thing I saw.

The team came out on both sides playing like they had been up all night. They jogged after people and looked slow and lethargic. The defense came out much more active in the second half. The offense played at the same pace they had in the first half.

Wilson said in the post game that coaching was an issue. I was glad to hear him admit that. I thought we had the wrong people in the game several times. It is almost as thought they rotate our backs in a scripted way and ignore what is happening on the field.

I don't thin Diamont is the long term solution, but Lagow isn't confident. One thing Zander brings is a cockiness and is fearless on the field. I had the feeling he could have done as well as Lagow in many situations, and probably would have gained yards on the ground. The only reason I could see for Wilson not to bring Zander in was that he felt it would put more pressure on Lagow or further damage his confidence.

I would give Diamont more preparation for the game this week. I would study the offense with all the coaches and grade each decision. Maybe running Magette up the middle on 3rd and 2 isn't the right combination.

There were times the TV showed Wilson visibly angry and pulled Lagow to the side. The biggest moment was the play on 3rd down that was an incomplete pass to the end zone. It looked like we didn't have our TEs involved in the pattern. From the way Wilson was acting, I am pretty sure that Lagow called the wrong play in the huddle. Another time Wilson was yelling at the team to hurry off the field. I remember thinking it was good he was seeing the same thing I saw.

The team came out on both sides playing like they had been up all night. They jogged after people and looked slow and lethargic. The defense came out much more active in the second half. The offense played at the same pace they had in the first half.

Wilson said in the post game that coaching was an issue. I was glad to hear him admit that. I thought we had the wrong people in the game several times. It is almost as thought they rotate our backs in a scripted way and ignore what is happening on the field.

I don't thin Diamont is the long term solution, but Lagow isn't confident. One thing Zander brings is a cockiness and is fearless on the field. I had the feeling he could have done as well as Lagow in many situations, and probably would have gained yards on the ground. The only reason I could see for Wilson not to bring Zander in was that he felt it would put more pressure on Lagow or further damage his confidence.

I would give Diamont more preparation for the game this week. I would study the offense with all the coaches and grade each decision. Maybe running Magette up the middle on 3rd and 2 isn't the right combination.
I would think a package for Zander inside the 10 might be in order, it just would give the defense a couple more things to think about. In that part of the field his arm strength wouldn't be as much of a concern and they could roll him , run him etc.

Wilson is taking a ton of heat for Saturday, and rightfully so.

But I've not seen one post criticizing Coach Allen. He had DEs and linebackers matched up with Carr in the first half. It's the worst defensive plan I've seen IU have to start a game in a long, long time.

Tom and the defense sure got it squared-away in the 2nd half, though. That was an incredible performance. In the end, I thought to years past when if the defense had only given up 24 points, it would have resulted in victory.

I would think a package for Zander inside the 10 might be in order, it just would give the defense a couple more things to think about. In that part of the field his arm strength wouldn't be as much of a concern and they could roll him , run him etc.
ZD was able to pick up good yards on a run or two in the Nebraska game. He threw it a few times to keep the defense honest. I thought they went to the well too much in that game, but I would have been fine with him running a few plays at Northwestern. He can drop back to pass and tuck it and run if they give him space.

Oakes has a great leg. It is just that he is trying to work through a quad injury right now and cannot kick the ball more than about 45 yards. Believe the back-up kicker is suspended for domestic abuse. Offense will not be effective until defenses think that Lagow might carry the ball once in a while on read-option. They completely ignore him after he gives the ball to the tailback. If they had to worry about him taking off, the middle would open up a bit more.

Dude, you change your opinion on Wilson EVERY. SINGLE. WEEK.

Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT