ADVERTISEMENT

Just under 4 months

Charlesroast

Freshman
Aug 4, 2013
until the Hoosiers open on the plains at Auburn. This will be a test as Auburn made it to the CWS last season and had a winning record in the major league of college baseball, the SEC. Perhaps even more than last year IU has a strong group of position players and depth (almost too much). This team can go as far as the rebuilt pitching staff can take them IMO.

Reactions: ptrich and 82IU
Yeah, here's hoping for a better start to the season than last season. We got swept by Clemson right out of the gate and were blasted in the first two games before we took them to 10 innings before losing the final game. I'm looking forward to seeing how the pitching rotation/bullpen shakes out with all of the new players coming in. We should be seeing something on the scheduling fairly soon.

Reactions: TomEric4756
Read an article in D1 baseball about Iowa that indicated B1G baseball coaches met after season & Commissioner Warren attended. Main topic was increasing profile of B1G baseball after a couple of borderline teams (Rutgers & Iowa). Among things mentioned was a 30 game league schedule, changes to B1G tourney, # of qualifiers and # of games, and scheduling more teams that would enhance RPI. Depending on the B1G schedule there could be positive RPI opportunities there, Maryland, Michigan, Iowa, Illinois, O$U possibly.

IU opens at Auburn, then a 3 game at Texas, followed by a 4 team round robin in Greenville, NC with East Carolina, Long Beach State & Georgetown. In my dreams they come out of that 5-4. I think that leaves another 3 weekend series and the mid week games. Off the top of my head home and home with ISU, & single with UofL & UK are positive RPI opportunities.

Pitching!!!!

Last edited:
Where is the schedule? There is nothing on IU's site.....the schedule link goes to 2 fall games. The second of which has no results, even though it was played 2 months ago, smh.

They may be still trying to fill some spots as the B1G has adopted a different approach to conference series for ‘23. I think there will be 10 conference 3 game set weekends with one open weekend since Wisconsin doesn’t play. However, the IU Baseball site has been slow historically.

IU opens at Auburn, then a 3 game at Texas, followed by a 4 team round robin in Greenville, NC with East Carolina, Long Beach State & Georgetown.
Okay, just curious......how do you know that, if they have not released a schedule yet?

There is a site that posts schedules more of less as released. I google “2023 college baseball schedules” and check ACC, SEC, and anything in Carolinas for games I might catch from Charleston SC and early season weekends for IU. Stumbled into Texas series with misplaced click. Also check B1G and so far Iowa, @ Illinois, & Purdue have IU weekends.

I'm beginning to wonder if we will celebrate New Year's Day before we see a complete schedule.
Probably will be close, was Christmas week last year. This site does a decent job on schedules. Looks like we are missing Nebraska & Rutgers, will have 2 series out of PSU, Michigan, Minnesota, & Northwestern. Did find early March 4 game home set with Bellarmine.

Probably will be close, was Christmas week last year. This site does a decent job on schedules. Looks like we are missing Nebraska & Rutgers, will have 2 series out of PSU, Michigan, Minnesota, & Northwestern. Did find early March 4 game home set with Bellarmine.
Yeah, I couldn't remember when it was released last year although we have usually been one of the last to do so. With the transfer portal having such a major impact on team rosters now, it's difficult to judge just how difficult our schedule is going to be until we get close to the conference season, and even then, we may have to get through a couple of series to know just who will be more formidable. With all of the new arms coming in, I couldn't even guess what our starting rotation will be like, although those close to the team may have a pretty could idea. Again, with all of the roster movements involving the portal, it will be interesting to see how the preseason predictions go on the B1G. Our pitching staff, with the exception of a couple of pitchers who have transferred out, definitely improved towards the end of last season, and hopefully we get off to a better start in that area especially after we spent just about all season at the bottom in team ERA in the B1G.

Yeah, I couldn't remember when it was released last year although we have usually been one of the last to do so. With the transfer portal having such a major impact on team rosters now, it's difficult to judge just how difficult our schedule is going to be until we get close to the conference season, and even then, we may have to get through a couple of series to know just who will be more formidable. With all of the new arms coming in, I couldn't even guess what our starting rotation will be like, although those close to the team may have a pretty could idea. Again, with all of the roster movements involving the portal, it will be interesting to see how the preseason predictions go on the B1G. Our pitching staff, with the exception of a couple of pitchers who have transferred out, definitely improved towards the end of last season, and hopefully we get off to a better start in that area especially after we spent just about all season at the bottom in team ERA in the B1G.
Getting close to getting schedule before they release it. I think that qualifies me for some manner of nerd award. Home weekends non- conference: Bellermine (4 game set) Ohio U, Morehead State, Conference: Iowa, OSU, Maryland, Purdue. Conference road trips Illinois & MSU to end the season other 2 will come from Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Penn State. Missing a few midweeks still but as of now @ Louisville, mid March home game with UK are the big ones after the first 3 loaded weekends. Also Ball State, Kent State, Southern Indiana, and Evansville. Expect 1 or 2 with ISU, maybe Butler, IUPUFW, suppose ND in Indianapolis, is possible with 3 April/May mid-weeks open.

Back to important matters, pitching is the question and key.

Last edited:
Reactions: ptrich
Getting close to getting schedule before they release it. I think that qualifies me for some manner of nerd award. Home weekends non- conference: Bellermine (4 game set) Ohio U, Morehead State, Conference: Iowa, OSU, Maryland, Purdue. Conference road trips Illinois & MSU to end the season other 2 will come from Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Penn State. Missing a few midweeks still but as of now @ Louisville, mid March home game with UK are the big ones after the first 3 loaded weekends. Also Ball State, Kent State, Southern Indiana, and Evansville. Expect 1 or 2 with ISU, maybe Butler, IUPUFW, suppose ND in Indianapolis, is possible with 3 April/May mid-weeks open.

Back to important matters, pitching is the question and key.
Thanks for doing the work on that, it's appreciated. It's no surprise that it's many of the usual suspects that will be filling up the schedule on the midweek games. Yes, pitching was our Achilles heel last season, and we went from the best pitching staff in team ERA in the conference and one of the best in the nation the previous season to the worst staff (13th) last season. Our hitting improved considerably last season, but when you are bleeding runs like our pitching staff did, we couldn't quite keep up with the opposition. I don't think I will ever forget, although I would like to, that Iowa game where we lost 30-16 after we had a 13-2 lead going into the 4th. We also had four errors in that game to add to the misery.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT