ADVERTISEMENT

Just got word that a neighbor family . . .

Sope Creek

Hall of Famer
Feb 5, 2003
. . . all have COVID. Husband is 66 and has bilateral pneumonia. O2 at 92 this morning. He's at home still . . . no idea why.

Wife is in her late 50s, and says that she has brain fog and brain drain, plus the virus is kicking any physical vitality she has to the curb. Her advice to MrsSope: Don't get this. It's awful.

They have a daughter who lives separately, and who doesn't have the virus - that's the good news. They also have a developmentally disabled - Smith-Magenis syndrome - son who is 22 and also sick. He's got an engaging personality, but requires close supervision . . . no idea how they're managing that with their conditions. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith–Magenis_syndrome

MrsSope is arranging to take over some of our not-well-known-but-can-cure-anything homemade vegetable soup, this time with chicken broth (she uses either chicken broth or beef broth, depending on who's influencing the outcome - she likes chicken broth, I like beef) for any chicken-soup benefits that the broth can offer. I'm going to buy a shitload of gatorades - as many flavors as the store has - and drop it on their doorstep.

If you're so inclined, good thoughts and prayers for these folks are most welcome.

I know we go round and round about the politics of COVID - whether to reopen, different policies for different situations and the like - but this shit is real.

save the soup, tell the husband to contact his doctor or the hospital.

by phone. don't go over there.

stay as far away from them as possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: glmiu11
. . . all have COVID. Husband is 66 and has bilateral pneumonia. O2 at 92 this morning. He's at home still . . . no idea why.

Wife is in her late 50s, and says that she has brain fog and brain drain, plus the virus is kicking any physical vitality she has to the curb. Her advice to MrsSope: Don't get this. It's awful.

They have a daughter who lives separately, and who doesn't have the virus - that's the good news. They also have a developmentally disabled - Smith-Magenis syndrome - son who is 22 and also sick. He's got an engaging personality, but requires close supervision . . . no idea how they're managing that with their conditions. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith–Magenis_syndrome

MrsSope is arranging to take over some of our not-well-known-but-can-cure-anything homemade vegetable soup, this time with chicken broth (she uses either chicken broth or beef broth, depending on who's influencing the outcome - she likes chicken broth, I like beef) for any chicken-soup benefits that the broth can offer. I'm going to buy a shitload of gatorades - as many flavors as the store has - and drop it on their doorstep.

If you're so inclined, good thoughts and prayers for these folks are most welcome.

I know we go round and round about the politics of COVID - whether to reopen, different policies for different situations and the like - but this shit is real.

Hope for the best for your neighbors Sope- sorry to hear of their sad situation...

I'm in Bloomington and don't know anyone personally anywhere in Indiana that has experienced COVID. But my extended family lives mainly in the Sumner Co, Tenn/ Simpson Co Ky area primarily in a town with a population of about 12,000 people. So far I think 3 family members, as well as numerous neighbors and people from Church, have come down with COVID.

One of my cousins works in a doctor's office and went to great lengths to keep herself and her family safe. Her husband worked at home throughout, and then one day was required to attend a meeting at the office. A week or so later, his employer called and told him he needed to be tested since someone else who attended the meeting had Covid. Sure enough, he tested positive...

It's been about 3 mos and he's still feeling the effects. He's in his late 40s and it never got too serious, but he certainly has felt the symptoms and known he was ill...I think my other cousins who caught Covid worked in schools, although I'm not sure if they both worked in the same one...

We just had our sixth case at work. He and his wife just tested positive, but luckily he only has mild symptoms and she doesn't have any. Every case we have had so far has resulted in only mild symptoms or none and complete recoveries. Ages range from 30 to 60. We're almost 100 percent teleworking so the cases haven't spread from one of our employees to others so that's good.

This case brings the cases for people I know or work with close to 30 and all of them had mild or no symptoms and 100% had full recoveries. One of those was over 70 so that was a great thing that he didn't have any serious symptoms and fully recovered. That is the usual outcome for most people without preexisting conditions, but obviously it really knocks some on their butts and kills some too so it's best to be careful of course. I know I am. I'm not being careful because I'm particularly worried that I'd develop really bad symptoms or die from it since I'm in very good health and decent physical shape. However, I might die because my wife would probably kill me for not being careful and putting her or others at risk.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Btown had 8 deaths total in late May.

mid-high 20s by late June.

seems like 30 something iirc not much more than a month ago.

now in the 90s, and going up daily.

Best wishes for quick recovery and a light case to your neighbors. I know so many whole families who have it now, just found out about two more today. Because of my girls, I probably know close to 200 who have had it. I know 20 who have died, 2 more the week of Christmas, and about 5 who were on hospital and are ok now. It seems from the people I know it was either a very mild case or an absolutely awful one. Not much in between. The Thanksgiving and Christmas get together are causing surges now, and then we will have the NYE ones. Hopefully people can keep themselves home after that.

Reactions: StelioKontos
We just had our sixth case at work. He and his wife just tested positive, but luckily he only has mild symptoms and she doesn't have any. Every case we have had so far has resulted in only mild symptoms or none and complete recoveries. Ages range from 30 to 60. We're almost 100 percent teleworking so the cases haven't spread from one of our employees to others so that's good.

This case brings the cases for people I know or work with close to 30 and all of them had mild or no symptoms and 100% had full recoveries. One of those was over 70 so that was a great thing that he didn't have any serious symptoms and fully recovered. That is the usual outcome for most people without preexisting conditions, but obviously it really knocks some on their butts and kills some too so it's best to be careful of course. I know I am. I'm not being careful because I'm particularly worried that I'd develop really bad symptoms or die from it since I'm in very good health and decent physical shape. However, I might die because my wife would probably kill me for not being careful and putting her or others at risk.
That’s been my experience. It’s getting where half the people I know have had it.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Btown had 8 deaths total in late May.

mid-high 20s by late June.

seems like 30 something iirc not much more than a month ago.

now in the 90s, and going up daily.
Monroe county is losing three people a day now. Was three a month in the summer.

A close friend of mine has it and has had severe symptoms since last Thursday. Really bad cough and can’t really walk anywhere without getting very short of breath. She had two days straight of a severe migraine like headache (subsided today). She’s healthy, definitely not overweight, and has no preexisting conditions (at least none that I know of). I’m worried about her.

She’s in her 20s.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: TommyCracker
A close friend of mine has it and has had severe symptoms since last Thursday. Really bad cough and can’t really walk anywhere without getting very short of breath. She had two days straight of a severe migraine like headache (subsided today). She’s healthy, definitely not overweight, and has no preexisting conditions (at least none that I know of). I’m worried about her.

She’s in her 20s.

83,000,000 cases worldwide, and we still have no idea why some die and most never know they were exposed.

Masks and 6 feet maybe shouldn’t be the focus? If you keep doing the same thing, and it isn’t working ..... yada

Look who wears masks and who doesnt. Asia does and their case counts approach zero. Americans...

Borders should have been shut from the start.

My experience has admittedly been limited - I can literally count the number of times I have been inside any place but my home since last February - its been THAT limited of a number - but with the exception of a couple of instances at a gasoline/convenience store, I have not seen anybody anywhere else without a mask.

• Haha
Reactions: mike41703
My experience has admittedly been limited - I can literally count the number of times I have been inside any place but my home since last February - its been THAT limited of a number - but with the exception of a couple of instances at a gasoline/convenience store, I have not seen anybody anywhere else without a mask.
I haven’t seen a single person in Stl co without a mask in more than six months.

Likely Type A or in more rare cases Type B Influenza.

Reactions: UncleMark
My uncle just got over it. He’s probably early to mid 70’s. They just told him to stay at home unless his oxygen got into the 80’s. It got down to 90 a few times but he just rode it out for 2 weeks. My Aunt also got it. She’s late 60’s and very obese. She was completely fine besides being tired a few days. So weird.
We

We live in the county just south of Bloomington. Mask wearing is maybe 70% and a big percentage are worn incorrectly. I won’t step foot inside a building in Bedford. I only go to Btown for stuff. My uncle ate breakfast with his buddies at the legion a lot. Shocked it took him this long to get it.

Reactions: UncleMark
Who's not wearing masks?
Lots of Americans?
I've traveled a fairly decent amount. Currently in Tampa. Lots of maskless folks. Live in Texas and it's the same deal. Hear a lot of folks hacking up a storm with noses uncovered at best. Asia wore masks pre-covis and continues to wear masks. In somewhere like Taiwan covis basically doesn't exist. If everyone wore their masks for a month and washed their hands, we would probably eliminate covis, flu, and common cold. Not that difficult.

Lots of Americans?

I've traveled a fairly decent amount. Currently in Tampa. Lots of maskless folks. Live in Texas and it's the same deal. Hear a lot of folks hacking up a storm with noses uncovered at best. Asia wore masks pre-covis and continues to wear masks. In somewhere like Taiwan covis basically doesn't exist. If everyone wore their masks for a month and washed their hands, we would probably eliminate covis, flu, and common cold. Not that difficult.
Stopped at a Speedway on the way into the office this morning. There were 4 customers, including myself. Two were wearing masks (yes, I was one of them). Yes, it's an outlier as Speedway continues to be at the bottom of mask wearing stats (for the few places I frequent). But there a lot of people who still don't give a shit.

Yes, there are millions of selfish assholes who don’t give a shit. Like these assholes:

Stopped at a Speedway on the way into the office this morning. There were 4 customers, including myself. Two were wearing masks (yes, I was one of them). Yes, it's an outlier as Speedway continues to be at the bottom of mask wearing stats (for the few places I frequent). But there a lot of people who still don't give a shit.

Stopped at a wawa before the game to grab breakfast. Someone with her mask down, sneezing and coughing all over the cutlery, I shit you not. I've noticed a lot of African American males refuse to wear masks or don't wear them properly. Not sure if they distrust govt or what. Also a lot of southerners, especially males. Many minority groups seem to disregard mask usage as well. Open all business without shutdown. Have adequate distancing. Anyone intentionally not wearing a mask while not eating or drinking is to be arrested and placed in a covid cage for 1 month with other non mask wearers. After their positive covid test and 14 day wait period they can be released to the public.

Yes, there are millions of selfish assholes who don’t give a shit. Like these assholes:

3xxmro.jpg

At the beginning of this I kept thinking that those who didn't wear masks or at least make the most minimal effort to maintain a little distance between themselves and others would come to their senses as the number of deaths climbed. As time and the death toll has marched on I've come to a different viewpoint; I hope they all catch the virus and with some luck it kills the majority of them. We have far to many spoiled, self centered morons in this country and culling them from the herd won't be the worst thing to ever happen.

To harsh?

At the beginning of this I kept thinking that those who didn't wear masks or at least make the most minimal effort to maintain a little distance between themselves and others would come to their senses as the number of deaths climbed. As time and the death toll has marched on I've come to a different viewpoint; I hope they all catch the virus and with some luck it kills the majority of them. We have far to many spoiled, self centered morons in this country and culling them from the herd won't be the worst thing to ever happen.

To harsh?
Hitler killed a lot of people before he finally succumbed.

As time and the death toll has marched on I've come to a different viewpoint; I hope they all catch the virus and with some luck it kills the majority of them. We have far to many spoiled, self centered morons in this country and culling them from the herd won't be the worst thing to ever happen.
I tend to feel the same way until I put faces on them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT