ADVERTISEMENT

Just got a call from a tech support scammer

TheOriginalHappyGoat

Oct 4, 2010
Margaritaville
Dicked him around for 20 minutes, then interrupted him and told him there was someone at my front door, and I was going to go see who it was, then set the phone on the table. That was five minutes ago, and he's still patiently waiting there on the other side.

I got an email from Star Financial today saying there are people calling their customers and saying their debit card has been compromised and the caller is requesting you to verify your number before they turn it off.

Who in their right mind would believe this type of scam?

Update: I went back like ten minutes later, and he was waiting patiently on the line. At that point, I was bored with him, so I told him I wasn't an idiot, and what were the odds he'd stop calling me? He said, "F*** you" and hung up. It was pretty awesome, as far as these things go.

I got an email from Star Financial today saying there are people calling their customers and saying their debit card has been compromised and the caller is requesting you to verify your number before they turn it off.

Who in their right mind would believe this type of scam?
When I was at IUB, I worked for three days for a cold-calling telemarketer that focused on selling magazines and drugs to poor elderly people. I think anyone that fell for our scam would easily fall for these scams.

I worked there for three days because the first two were training. My third shift, I made my first sales, clocked out and never went back, because I learned I had a soul.

Reactions: mike41703
I've held one telelmarketing job in my life. During college for two summers I worked for the consolidation department at then Sallie Mae in Fishers.

I had to take a two week class which I used to consolidate my student loans at a lower fixed rate but other than that I just "forgot" to take calls and eventually got asked to leave b/c when the automated call popped up on my screen and I saw how much debt and how far behind people were I felt sad. I eventually was asked "what is the date you leave for college?" essentially saying to get the hell out but I wasn't technically fired.

The entire point is to be ridiculous. It weeds out the gullible to stupid ones you can then scam. This was in super freakonimics I think.

Update: I went back like ten minutes later, and he was waiting patiently on the line. At that point, I was bored with him, so I told him I wasn't an idiot, and what were the odds he'd stop calling me? He said, "F*** you" and hung up. It was pretty awesome, as far as these things go.

You are a total badass.

Reactions: Moops
Dicked him around for 20 minutes, then interrupted him and told him there was someone at my front door, and I was going to go see who it was, then set the phone on the table. That was five minutes ago, and he's still patiently waiting there on the other side.
Is this the tech support scam where some guy in India is calling and says he's from Microsoft and you have a problem with your computer? I get about 3-4 of these a year. I love to mess with them too.

Is this the tech support scam where some guy in India is calling and says he's from Microsoft and you have a problem with your computer? I get about 3-4 of these a year. I love to mess with them too.
I've received these calls a few times too. The last time I told the guy he was an idiot. He got so angry he told me my sister was an idiot. I don't even have a sister.

My father in law loves these types of calls. He'll just keep saying, "I won a bike?" and asking them when and where he can pick it up. It's hilarious. My son now likes to take these calls and try the same thing.

I also worked at a telemarketing place trying to sell those stupid coupon books while in Bloomington. I quit after about an hour.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT