ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Boeheim's Commets Over The Weekend

Crossblock

Senior
Jan 8, 2019
Did anyone else see his comments over the weekend? They lost another game and are having a poor season. He accused Pitt and Wake Forest of buying players with NIL Money, and then cried poor mouth about not having NIL Money to compete. Where to start?

1. Jim, If You weren't an 80 Year Old Relic Who will end up dying on the bench in the middle of the game, You could recruit better Players Who can compete and win, Most players on the Court look to the Bench to get directions and Plays. Your Players are looking over to see if You are still upright and breathing.

2, If You ran an Offense that was designed to score more than 60 points a game and created less excitement than a root canal, You might be able to recruit better Players.

3. If you need NIL Money, why don't You start with the many famous graduates of the Syracuse School of Sports Broadcasting Who have huge national contacts and recognition. They should have enough change in their Couch Cushions to provide NIL Money.

Did anyone else see his comments over the weekend? They lost another game and are having a poor season. He accused Pitt and Wake Forest of buying players with NIL Money, and then cried poor mouth about not having NIL Money to compete. Where to start?

1. Jim, If You weren't an 80 Year Old Relic Who will end up dying on the bench in the middle of the game, You could recruit better Players Who can compete and win, Most players on the Court look to the Bench to get directions and Plays. Your Players are looking over to see if You are still upright and breathing.

2, If You ran an Offense that was designed to score more than 60 points a game and created less excitement than a root canal, You might be able to recruit better Players.

3. If you need NIL Money, why don't You start with the many famous graduates of the Syracuse School of Sports Broadcasting Who have huge national contacts and recognition. They should have enough change in their Couch Cushions to provide NIL Money.
I look for him to hang it up after the year. He bought his ncaa title with Carmello Anthony. That $320k he got and a house for his immediate family. To his props tho, Carmello came through.

• Love
Reactions: ulrey and Scangg
Nervous College Basketball GIF by NCAA March Madness

Cuse no doubt has more money that some other schools, but less than others.

one would need to be beyond naive to think NIL money will always come from outside, when it's the program itself that benefits most from recruits.

and funneling school money through outside third parties to wash and legalize it, isn't exactly rocket science.

those entrusted with guiding college sports today are doing such a horrible job of it, it's beyond belief.

to be precise, a horrible job of guiding college sports.

not a horrible job of enriching themselves and the inner circle few, at the sport's and everyone else's expense.

they've done a masterful job of that.

Reactions: Jssanto
Cuse no doubt has more money that some other schools, but less than others.

one would need to be beyond naive to think NIL money will always come from outside, when it's the program itself that benefits most from recruits.

and funneling school money through outside third parties to wash and legalize it, isn't exactly rocket science.

those entrusted with guiding college sports today are doing such a horrible job of it, it's beyond belief.

to be precise, a horrible job of guiding college sports.

not a horrible job of enriching themselves and the inner circle few, at the sport's and everyone else's expense.

they've done a masterful job of that.
To be fair to the NCAA, it sued for more enforcement authority but the Supreme Court shot it down. That’s how NIL money became legal in the first place.

To be fair to the NCAA, it sued for more enforcement authority but the Supreme Court shot it down. That’s how NIL money became legal in the first place.
The NCAA dropped the ball on the whole thing going back to O'Bannon (maybe earlier) and then just threw their hands in the air, hoping to get bailed out with Alston. You literally can't find a credible opinion piece talking about how the NCAA should have prevailed in either of those cases.

Reactions: Spartans9312

not a lawyer, but i'll assume schools still could have athletes sign over those rights to schools as a condition of a scholly, just as music labels have artists sign over rights, and corps and employers have workers sign over such rights every day, which would put college athletes back where they've always been regarding said rights.

i've long since advocated here for major college fball and bball players to get some stipend beyond just tuition, books, room and board, but more like $250 wk, with everyone getting the same, and an NCAA cap on said stipend in the name of competitive balance not being any more lopsided than it already was.

and the coaches need a salary cap as well. say $300,000 yr for the head fball and bball coaches, and they sign over their NIL rights as well to quash cheating on that front.

i guarantee you virtually just as many qualified individuals will still apply, and it will still be a highly sought after job.

this paying players thing never was an issue back in day, and only became an issue when coach started making 4 mil a yr, while Jimmy Joe only got a scholly.

that said, any and all college players and coaches that aren't ok with such limits, are more than free to go start their own pro leagues, or join existing pro leagues, and make whatever the market will bear.

i will wish them the best, and cheer for their success in that endeavor.

and good luck with that.

what i'm not ok with, is them instead totally hijacking from within existing 100 plus yr old amateur non profit college programs they had exactly zero, I REPEAT ZERO, hand in ever building or financing, and simply want to profit off what others built and established over 100 plus yrs, and never intended to be hijacked so in said 100 plus yrs of building.

with all the talk of "coups" today, a coup is exactly what we are witnessing in college sports.

like i said, if they want establish their own pro league or join an existing one, more power to them.

but don't hijack what others built over the course of 100 plus yrs, in a coup to usurp that 100 plus yr old institution, and it's already established fan bases, instead of building their own pro league, with their own sweat and capital and risk.

Last edited:
not a lawyer, but i'll assume schools still could have athletes sign over those rights to schools as a condition of a scholly, just as music labels have artists sign over rights, and corps and employers have workers sign over such rights every day, which would put college athletes back where they've always been regarding said rights.

i've long since advocated here for major college fball and bball players to get some stipend beyond just tuition, books, room and board, but more like $250 wk, with everyone getting the same, and an NCAA cap on said stipend in the name of competitive balance not being any more lopsided than it already was.

and the coaches need a salary cap as well. say $300,000 yr for the head fball and bball coaches, and they sign over their NIL rights as well to quash cheating on that front.

i guarantee you virtually just as many qualified individuals will still apply, and it will still be a highly sought after job.

this paying players thing never was an issue back in day, and only became an issue when coach started making 4 mil a yr, while Jimmy Joe only got a scholly.

that said, any and all college players and coaches that aren't ok with such limits, are more than free to go start their own pro leagues, or join existing pro leagues, and make whatever the market will bear.

i will wish them the best, and cheer for their success in that endeavor.

and good luck with that.

what i'm not ok with, is them instead totally hijacking from within existing 100 plus yr old amateur non profit college programs they had exactly zero, I REPEAT ZERO, hand in ever building or financing, and simply want to profit off what others built and established over 100 plus yrs, and never intended to be hijacked so in said 100 plus yrs of building.

with all the talk of "coups" today, a coup is exactly what we are witnessing in college sports.

like i said, if they want establish their own pro league or join an existing one, more power to them.

but don't hijack what others built over the course of 100 plus yrs, in a coup to usurp that 100 plus yr old institution, and it's already established fan bases, instead of building their own pro league, with their own sweat and capital and risk.
All of what you posted above might be nice and would certainly be popular with the majority of college basketball fans. Of course it would also all quickly be shot down by the SCOTUS. That's how we got where we are today. What people want matters not one whit when the law is not on their side.

Reactions: Spartans9312
All of what you posted above might be nice and would certainly be popular with the majority of college basketball fans. Of course it would also all quickly be shot down by the SCOTUS. That's how we got where we are today. What people want matters not one whit when the law is not on their side.

i don't buy that it would be shot down by SCOTUS.

SCOTUS hasn't shot down many other industries that mandate employees assign over rights to employers, as a part of an employment contract.

that said, show me the exact wording of SCOTUS' ruling saying otherwise.

until such time, i'll assume players having a right to NIL, doesn't mean that said right can't be assigned off to the schools as part of the contract for other compensation, like say tuition, room, board, books, and a stipend, as i laid out above.

i don't buy that it would be shot down by SCOTUS.

SCOTUS hasn't shot down many other industries that mandate employees assign over rights to employers, as a part of an employment contract.

that said, show me the exact wording of SCOTUS' ruling saying otherwise.

until such time, i'll assume players having a right to NIL, doesn't mean that said right can't be assigned off to the schools as part of the contract for other compensation, like say tuition, room, board, books, and a stipend, as i laid out above.
I just wonder about old TAX time for some of these over compensated players

Reactions: IU FAN IN W. NC
I’ll take the WF coach at his word (as reported) that NIL deals were not handed out for signed NLIs.

This made JB look foolish, in my opinion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT