ADVERTISEMENT

JD Vance deserves his own thread

While Peltzman’s paper was controversial at the time—unsurprisingly, it was politicized by pro- and anti-regulation advocates—much research in the intervening years has borne out similar conclusions in other domains. It turns out people have a tendency to engage in riskier behaviors when measures are imposed to keep them safer. Give a biker a safety helmet and he rides more recklessly—and, even worse, cars around him drive more haphazardly. And a 2009 study directly following the line of research pioneered by Peltzman found that NASCAR drivers who used a new head and neck restraint system experienced fewer serious injuries but saw a rise in accidents and car damage. In short, safety measures have the potential to undermine their own purpose.
Nothing makes spillovers more likely and visible than scaling an endeavor to a wide swath of people.

This phenomenon—which came to be known as the Peltzman effect—is often used as a lens for studying risk compensation, the theory that we make different choices depending on how secure we feel in any given situation (i.e., we take more risk when we feel more protected and less when we perceive that we are vulnerable). This is why, in the wake of the 9/11 attacks and the rise in fear of terrorists gaining access to nuclear weapons, Stanford political scientist Scott Sagan argued that increasing security forces to guard nuclear facilities might actually make them less secure. The Peltzman effect also reaches into insurance markets, whereby people who have coverage engage in riskier behavior than those without coverage, a phenomenon known as moral hazard. Clearly, this pattern of human behavior has potentially huge implications when taken to scale.

200w.gif

Reactions: BradStevens
With the advent of the seat belt, there was a surge in auto-accidents, while traffic fatalities held about steady.

Why? People drive faster and more recklessly due to the false sense of security. This is an example of unintended consequences and externalities.

While not examining the advent of the seat belt way back when, this article looks at the effect of mandatory seat belt laws:

"The comprehensive data on seat belt usage rate enables us to test directly the theory of compensating behavior suggested by Peltzman (1975). We find, contrary to the prediction of the theory of compensating behavior, that higher seat belt usage does not have any significant effect on driving behavior. Our results indicate that, overall, mandatory seat belt laws unambiguously reduce traffic fatalities."

Come on Noodle, context matters.

I'm not a JD Vance fan boi, but his commentary was around how increased regulations and restrictions create more stress on parents and reduce the likelihood of people wanting more children.

Context? He literally said "there's evidence that the car seat rules that we've imposed, which of course I want kids to drive in car seats, have driven down the number of babies born in this country by over 100,000." What context is missing from that quote?

Context? He literally said "there's evidence that the car seat rules that we've imposed, which of course I want kids to drive in car seats, have driven down the number of babies born in this country by over 100,000." What context is missing from that quote?
The audience. Flight attendants. The rules make travel too difficult so parents are stuck home and can’t have both: kids and vaca

Dumb thing for him to say but that’s the context missing. Kids interfere with fun.

And boyyyyyyy is he right

Have you gone over to East Walnut Hills and knocked on his door, to let him know he owes you rent for living in your head all the time?

Let it go. Let it go. Concentrate on that great Notre Dame score of, what was it, oh, 66-7.

I'll stop when he stops adding 20 minutes to my commute in the morning.

Apparently he's afraid of a little wind as he did not fly anywhere this morning - or, he got out of town before it got windy.

Wimp.

The audience. Flight attendants. The rules make travel too difficult so parents are stuck home and can’t have both: kids and vaca

Huh? So now the car seat rules make it to difficult to fly somewhere for vacation so parents just stay home?

You're making about as much sense as JD Vance. ;)

Huh? So now the car seat rules make it to difficult to fly somewhere for vacation so parents just stay home?

You're making about as much sense as JD Vance. ;)
That’s the context. You have to have a certain car seat, approved etc., for use on a plane. He says stressors. One more stressor on parents. He’s talking to flight attendants.

Last edited:

While not examining the advent of the seat belt way back when, this article looks at the effect of mandatory seat belt laws:

"The comprehensive data on seat belt usage rate enables us to test directly the theory of compensating behavior suggested by Peltzman (1975). We find, contrary to the prediction of the theory of compensating behavior, that higher seat belt usage does not have any significant effect on driving behavior. Our results indicate that, overall, mandatory seat belt laws unambiguously reduce traffic fatalities."
You do know that is the exact same link that I posted, right?

In Ohio it seems that turn signals are optional equipment on the cars and most seem to opt out. Drives me crazy that people don't use them. Two other very annoying and dangerous habits of too many in Ohio is driving slow in the left (passing) lane, and tail gating. Driver's Ed is not part of the high school curriculum like it was when I was in HS in Indiana (probably isn't there now either) and it's obvious by the bad car operators here. Only those that know and follow the rules of the road get to be called car drivers.
I’m telling you, I want to mount a five-inch-twenty-five-caliber gun and take out the:

1. No turn signalers
2. Tailgaters
3. Left-lane and middle lane huggers
4. Excessive lane changers in high speed areas, leading to the inevitable close call cut off
5. Bicyclists who see no need to obey any traffic law ever .

That’s the context. You have to have a certain car seat, approved etc., for use on a plane. He says stressors. One more stressor on parents. He’s talking to flight attendants.
Car seats are not mandatory on planes. However, if your child is going to sit in one it must be approved for airplane use. If you bring one that is not approved (most these days are), the airline will usually check it for you (i.e., with luggage) for free.

Anyone pathetic enough to not have kids because they would need to buy an airplane-approved car seat to use a car seat on a plane probably should not have kids in the first place. If you can't handle something like that, what hell are you going to do when your kid pukes in your face or craps his pants in the middle of the Super Bowl or the finale of The Bachelor?

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I’m telling you, I want to mount a five-inch-twenty-five-caliber gun and take out the:

1. No turn signalers
2. Tailgaters
4. Excessive lane changers in high speed areas, leading to the inevitable close call cut off
People who cut across parking spots. My two main spots for shopping send me into a rage over it. Packed. And aholes going across spots popping out

Car seats are not mandatory on planes. However, if your child is going to sit in one it must be approved for airplane use. If you bring one that is not approved (most these days are), the airline will usually check it for you (i.e., with luggage) for free.

Anyone pathetic enough to not have kids because they would need to buy an airplane-approved car seat to use a car seat on a plane probably should not have kids in the first place. If you can't handle something like that, what hell are you going to do when your kid pukes in your face or craps his pants in the middle of the Super Bowl or the finale of The Bachelor?
Agreed. And I don’t believe his stats. And car seat manufacturers get it so makes them conforming. He’s fos. But that is the context I’m sure

Reactions: Noodle

1. No turn signalers
2. Tailgaters
Concur with all. Those people just don't know how to drive a vehicle.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT