ADVERTISEMENT

Jakai Newton Underrated?

cshartle123

Senior
Apr 8, 2016
He was ranked #118 in the class of 2023. He has a grown man’s body with countless videos of powerful drives and dunks. His shot looks good. He played with UConn’s Stephen Castle in high school. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has some “take over the game” type moments next year.

Hope you are right but 'hope' is not much of a strategy. i'm skeptical given his two injuries/surgeries over past 2 years. but my personality is one of skepticism sooo. ......let's HOPE i'm wrong!

Hope you are right but 'hope' is not much of a strategy. i'm skeptical given his two injuries/surgeries over past 2 years. but my personality is one of skepticism sooo. ......let's HOPE i'm wrong!
What were his injuries?

Man...I was just going to post something about him potentially being the most important "addition" next year?!

Obviously can't depend on him...and I know I've posted this before...but I just have an Olidipo type feeling about him. The things he was able to do, with an injured knee, against Isaiah Collier...if that's in any sort of way "who he is"...he's going to be very impactful at IU.

Rice
Carlyle
Mgbako
Reneau
Ballo

Gallo
Tucker
Cupps
Newton

That seems like a realistic possibility. And it'll be the best, most balanced, roster Woody has had at IU. Still short on knock down shooting, and that will hold us back. But if Rice, Carlyle, Tucker, and Newton can provide versatile, dynamic, 2 way play...we can cover up some of the shooting deficiencies.

Maybe add Hickman to that list, and have him take some of Gallo, Tucker, and a bunch of Cupps minutes. But Newton has the potential to be very impactful for us this year, if healthy...I'm guessing.

**Edited to add...on top of the on the court stuff I've seen out of him, pre injury and then in that game on TV against Collier... I also look for little signs, like demeanor on the bench, body language, etc... And he has always appeared to be very involved and positive on the bench. AND, little thing that I think likely speaks volumes, he wore his jersey for every game. Even early on, when he was wearing a warmup suit, he put his jersey on over that. That's a gym rat, baller move.

Man...I was just going to post something about him potentially being the most important "addition" next year?!

Obviously can't depend on him...and I know I've posted this before...but I just have an Olidipo type feeling about him. The things he was able to do, with an injured knee, against Isaiah Collier...if that's in any sort of way "who he is"...he's going to be very impactful at IU.

Rice
Carlyle
Mgbako
Reneau
Ballo

Gallo
Tucker
Cupps
Newton

That seems like a realistic possibility. And it'll be the best, most balanced, roster Woody has had at IU. Still short on knock down shooting, and that will hold us back. But if Rice, Carlyle, Tucker, and Newton can provide versatile, dynamic, 2 way play...we can cover up some of the shooting deficiencies.

Maybe add Hickman to that list, and have him take some of Gallo, Tucker, and a bunch of Cupps minutes. But Newton has the potential to be very impactful for us this year, if healthy...I'm guessing.
I've never seen any stats concerning his 3 point game. As I recall, I don't remember many made 3 pointers in those highlights. Also, we don''t have any reason to believe he's a great ball handler. I see him as a strong, athletic off guard who wouldn't have contributed all that much to last year's team. Seems like another situation like Banks where we have an "underrated" claim without much proof............

• Sad
Reactions: Willdog7

Rice
Carlyle
Mgbako
Reneau
Ballo

Gallo
Tucker
Cupps
Newton

**Edited to add...on top of the on the court stuff I've seen out of him, pre injury and then in that game on TV against Collier... I also look for little signs, like demeanor on the bench, body language, etc... And he has always appeared to be very involved and positive on the bench. AND, little thing that I think likely speaks volumes, he wore his jersey for every game. Even early on, when he was wearing a warmup suit, he put his jersey on over that. That's a gym rat, baller move.
Agree but still lack shooting as a roster. You get in the tourney and you have to knock down shots from outside

He was ranked #118 in the class of 2023. He has a grown man’s body with countless videos of powerful drives and dunks. His shot looks good. He played with UConn’s Stephen Castle in high school. I wouldn’t be surprised if he has some “take over the game” type moments next year.
I’m high on Newton but worry he will stay healthy. Has missed about 1.5 years with the knee injury

Agree but still lack shooting as a roster. You get in the tourney and you have to knock down shots from outside
I think to do lofty things like win the B10 regular season, and/or win a natty, having some good shooters is a necessity. And I hope to God Woody values that.

But you can have success without it. And even my most optimistic hopes for this next season don't include B10 title or FF levels of success.

And again, a bunch of dynamic, 2 way players can make up for a lack of shooting. And on paper, we'd have a handful of those guys with the list I posted. We haven't landed a bunch of the guys I mentioned, however, and we have no clue how healthy or effective Newton will be. But that lineup, with a healthy Newton, has the potential to completely change what IU basketball looks like next year.

Reactions: Crusty The Baker
I think to do lofty things like win the B10 regular season, and/or win a natty, having some good shooters is a necessity. And I hope to God Woody values that.

But you can have success without it. And even my most optimistic hopes for this next season don't include B10 title or FF levels of success.

And again, a bunch of dynamic, 2 way players can make up for a lack of shooting. And on paper, we'd have a handful of those guys with the list I posted. We haven't landed a bunch of the guys I mentioned, however, and we have no clue how healthy or effective Newton will be. But that lineup, with a healthy Newton, has the potential to completely change what IU basketball looks like next year.
Be interesting what the offense looks like though. MR and Ballou take away much slashing from the wings

I've never seen any stats concerning his 3 point game. As I recall, I don't remember many made 3 pointers in those highlights. Also, we don''t have any reason to believe he's a great ball handler. I see him as a strong, athletic off guard who wouldn't have contributed all that much to last year's team. Seems like another situation like Banks where we have an "underrated" claim without much proof............
Its all gut feeling and conjecture, at this point. But if he's the guy he showed himself to be in those 15 minutes or so against Collier on national TV...he would have helped last years team A LOT. If for no other reason, than he would have been a guy you could call on to go in and lock a key perimeter player down defensively. We didn't have a single guy on our roster capable of doing that last year.

Reactions: Thcgh
Be interesting what the offense looks like though. MR and Ballou take away much slashing from the wings
Obviously depends on how Woody would use them. End of TJD's last year, and for longer stretches last year, he did open the lane up a little more. His problem, in my opinion, is he obviously likes 2 post basketball, and he nearly always reverts back to sets and actions that have both post guys in or around the lane for entire possessions.

Like anything else, a good balance is probably necessary. If it is Ballo and Reneau, that'll be one of the more dominant post scoring front lines in recent memory, for anyone. I'm on record, countless times, that I don't think making that your primary offense is a good idea...but completely going away from it would be absurd too.

My hope is he lands a handful of guys like Rice and Carlyle, and that he runs stuff to fully utilize them, for long stretches. Ballo and Reneau can be impactful off of perimeter oriented action and movement too.

I'm expecting very little kid has been hurt since high school...

Obviously depends on how Woody would use them. End of TJD's last year, and for longer stretches last year, he did open the lane up a little more. His problem, in my opinion, is he obviously likes 2 post basketball, and he nearly always reverts back to sets and actions that have both post guys in or around the lane for entire possessions.

Like anything else, a good balance is probably necessary. If it is Ballo and Reneau, that'll be one of the more dominant post scoring front lines in recent memory, for anyone. I'm on record, countless times, that I don't think making that your primary offense is a good idea...but completely going away from it would be absurd too.

My hope is he lands a handful of guys like Rice and Carlyle, and that he runs stuff to fully utilize them, for long stretches. Ballo and Reneau can be impactful off of perimeter oriented action and movement too.
I don’t see Ballou/MR being more PPG than MR/Ware.
Ballou only averaged 12 a game

I don’t see Ballou/MR being more PPG than MR/Ware.
Ballou only averaged 12 a game
Again, its all about how they're used. But they'll be one of the more efficient post scoring tandems in recent memory. Neither will put up Edey numbers, but they're both really, really good, and potentially very efficient in the lane.

Now...how does that filter out in to our entire offense?

Woody's first and third teams were around 100 in the nation in KenPom AdjO efficiency. But TJD's senior year, they were all the way up to 28... JHS played a role in that, obviously. But TJD's improved ability to pass, and Woody pulling him away from the basket for longer stretches, I think, also had a big impact.

If he can use Ballo and Reneau well, and then figure out how to keep the offense open enough that Mack can continue to grow, AND that whoever we end up playing a lot at the 1,2, and 3 positions (when Mack is playing 4 or out)...the offense can be markedly better.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Its all gut feeling and conjecture, at this point. But if he's the guy he showed himself to be in those 15 minutes or so against Collier on national TV...he would have helped last years team A LOT. If for no other reason, than he would have been a guy you could call on to go in and lock a key perimeter player down defensively. We didn't have a single guy on our roster capable of doing that last year.
I went back to look at his highlights again to see if I missed anything.....I don't really see a shooter or a ball-handler. Nor anyone with anything like V.O explosiveness.......rather a tough, athletic who likes to take it to the basket. Maybe 70% of his highlights were drives to the basket. I see his ceiling as 12 pt/5 reb/4 assist kind of guy who can defend shooters....the type off off guards UM and MSU have had in recent years. A complimentary player but not an ABT type player. We'll see....

It’s hard to come back from so much time off — all the rust and physical issues take time, but he can do it at his age, and he seems like a great guy.

Anything he can do would be awesome. He could contribute quite a bit with the second 5.

I went back to look at his highlights again to see if I missed anything.....I don't really see a shooter or a ball-handler. Nor anyone with anything like V.O explosiveness.......rather a tough, athletic who likes to take it to the basket. Maybe 70% of his highlights were drives to the basket. I see his ceiling as 12 pt/5 reb/4 assist kind of guy who can defend shooters....the type off off guards UM and MSU have had in recent years. A complimentary player but not an ABT type player. We'll see....
Only thing I noticed was that he played off two feet when in the lane which is generally something that needs taught and something many players never learn...

can never speak anything positive

Reactions: Thcgh
can never speak anything positive
Do you understand that not every kid we recruit is underrated? Cupps, Banks, Gunn all said to be underrated.....turns out, not so much, although I thought Banks was coming out of HS.

Concerning Newton, ""tough, athletic kid who likes to take it to the basket" is hardly negative.

IU always seems to get hit with Maurice Creek types[loads of potential but can't overcome injuries]. I hope Newton overcomes.X struggled 2 seasons with multiple injuries. Race too.

Rice
Carlyle
Mgbako
Reneau
Ballo

Gallo
Tucker
Cupps
Newton

Looks like another off season national championship. How many is that now for IU? 20, 30 in a row?

I think this concern now is way overblown. I don't think Woody will be playing them a lot together. My bet is that Ballo at times is going to be out there with 4 wings and guards.

Rice
Carlyle
Mgbako
Reneau
Ballo

Gallo
Tucker
Cupps
Newton

I'm with you, I think Newton will be a very pleasant surprise( if he gets minutes to show what he can do)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT