ADVERTISEMENT

Jack Suwinski drafted in round 15 by Padres-

MaryisCrazy

All-American
Apr 24, 2012
#444 overall.

Kelzer in round 18 to Phils (obviously 14th round by Cubs last season) and Hart round 19 to Red Sox.

Last edited:
Caleb Baragar is first Hoosier drafted after improved senior season
by Michael Hughes

He couldn’t help feeling nervous.

His advisor told him to expect to be drafted sometime between the seventh and 10th rounds, but now it was the ninth round and Caleb Baragar’s name had still not been called.

Then his advisor said he was working on something with the San Francisco 
Giants.

When he heard his mom scream from the other room, he looked at his computer to see his name pop up next to the Giants’ name.

“My advisor said probably somewhere between seven and 10, so I was really hoping I’d get called Friday and was thankful that it happened,” Baragar said. “As time kind of ticked away I was thinking maybe it wasn’t going to happen, it wasn’t meant to be.”

Baragar was the first IU player drafted this year after winning four games in his senior season, but still posting a 2.49 ERA, the best among IU’s starters.

This came after winning one game with a 3.47 ERA during his junior season, his first in Bloomington.

“I think I’m a lot more polished with my game than I was last year,” Baragar said. “I’m a lot more consistent too.”

That was the biggest difference, Baragar said. He’s able to be more or less the same pitcher each time he takes the mound.

In his junior year, it was almost like Jekyll and Hyde when he took the mound, he said.

Some days, he would have his best stuff and have no problem working deep into games.

Others, his location, velocity and movement were off, and there was nothing he could do to fix it.

“It was like whichever Caleb goes out there that’s what we’re going to get for the whole game,” Baragar said. “I wasn’t learning to pitch, I was more just throwing and hoping everything would go well. I think that’s what I gained the most from this year.”

From the time when an area scout from the Giants first contacted him at the end of the fall semester, to when the same area scout contacted him at the end of the season, Baragar was nearly a different pitcher.

His improvements were on display this spring for the scouts to see.

Even on days he wasn’t pitching great, he was still going deep into games and limiting damage.

He said he still doesn’t know what the Giants’ plan for him is, but imagines he’ll be a starter since that’s where all his experience is.

But he also said he knows he needs to improve, just like he did before his senior season.

Baragar said he wants to develop his split fastball more and actually learn how to throw a cutter instead of letting one loose every once in a while on 
accident.

“I cut some fastballs this spring on accident and it seemed to be a pretty effective pitch,” Baragar said. “I’m going to try and figure out how to do that so I can have my natural fastball and something that does the opposite.”

Within a week or a week and a half, Baragar will report to the Giants’ spring training facility in Arizona for a physical, and then maybe play for the organization’s rookie ball team.

Even though he had to endure a few anxious moments Friday, Baragar can now call himself a professional baseball player.

“It was stressful for sure because I wanted to go so bad and I’ve worked my whole life for it,” Baragar said. “It was stressful, but at the end of the day I guess it could have been worse.”

Go Hoosiers!

http://www.idsnews.com/article/2016...-hoosier-drafted-after-improved-senior-season

Four IU players and two signees selected in MLB Draft
by Michael Hughes

Continuing a recent tradition, a number of IU players and recruits were selected in the 2016 version of the Major League Baseball Draft.

A total of four current Hoosiers and two potential Hoosiers were selected throughout the 40-round draft that ran Thursday through 
Saturday.

Last year, a total of six Hoosiers were drafted, and the year before that five IU players were selected.

The first to be selected this year was senior starting pitcher Caleb Baragar, who was drafted in the ninth round by the San Francisco Giants. He was also the only IU player drafted in the first two days of the draft.

Baragar was followed by two other pitchers on the final day of the draft. After junior pitcher Jake Kelzer was drafted by the Philadelphia Phillies in the 18th round, senior pitcher Kyle Hart was drafted in the 19th round by the Boston Red Sox.

Junior outfielder Craig Dedelow was the final Hoosier drafted, going to the Pittsburgh Pirates in the 34th round.

For Baragar and Hart, being drafted means they have a chance to continue their baseball careers. For Kelzer and Dedelow, being drafted means they have decisions to make.

For Kelzer, this is the third time he’s been drafted, but he still has the potential to return for one more season in Bloomington.

He was drafted in the 14th round last year and the 22nd round in 2014.

Underclassmen often receive better contracts than graduating seniors since they have the ability to turn down a contract and return to school. If Kelzer were to return for another year, he would lose this leverage if he were then drafted next year.

For Dedelow, this is the first time he’s been drafted, and his low draft position might make it more likely the 6-foot-4 outfielder returns to Bloomington for his senior season.

Also facing decisions are two high school players who are committed to play 
college baseball in Bloomington next season.

But after Skylar Szynski and Jack Suwinski were drafted, they both have the opportunity to bypass college and go straight to professional baseball.

Szynski was drafted in the fourth round by the Oakland Athletics and Suwinski was drafted in the 15th round by the San Diego 
Padres.

Both Syznski and Suwinski are unable to make a 
decision on whether to sign or go to college until after their respective high school baseball seasons end.

Syznski is a pitcher from Granger, Indiana, who could potentially step into IU’s weekend rotation as a freshman given the departure of three senior starters for the Hoosiers.

Suwinski is a centerfielder from Chicago who was named first team Central region at the start of the season by Perfect Game.

Go Hoosiers!

http://www.idsnews.com/article/2016/06/four-iu-players-and-two-signees-selected-in-mlb-draft

Reactions: RBB89
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT