ADVERTISEMENT

IUWBB vs. Purdue -- 2:00pm ET

Purdue’s women’s program reminds me a bit of the IU’s men’s team.
Coached by a former player. Once a marquee program in the conference. Fallen off the map.
IU is probably ranked too high as evidenced by the close game against a weak Purdue program.
Iowa is the brand for the Big10 right now despite today’s loss to another good team.
You’ll be disappointed to know IU will move up the rankings this week following a few losses by teams just ahead of them today.

Coached by a former player. Once a marquee program in the conference. Fallen off the map.
IU is probably ranked too high as evidenced by the close game against a weak Purdue program.
Iowa is the brand for the Big10 right now despite today’s loss to another good team.
IU has zero margin for error in that they have ZERO quality depth. I would not expect IU to win any game against a top 5-7 of the BT team without Parrish or any other starter. The drop off from starter to best bench player is too huge. Purdue did play one of our better games today, but we still are not a good team and are unlikely to finish with a winning record. Only UWisc, Northwestern and Rutgers have lower NET rankings in the BT than Purdue this year.

In Oct there was an article on SI that said she had a hamstring injury on the Greece trip and they weren't sure how long she need to fully recover from that. And two ALC injuries in high school.
Thanks. If she is hurt, she has a chance of contributing. But the one game I saw her she just moved from one screen to another and did not seem to be a star in the making. Hopefully a year and an off season will do wonders.

No
Thanks. If she is hurt, she has a chance of contributing. But the one game I saw her she just moved from one screen to another and did not seem to be a star in the making. Hopefully a year and an off season will do wonders.
Not gonna be a star ever but I think has a chance to be a contributor if healthy

Last edited:
Reactions: Jssanto
In Oct there was an article on SI that said she had a hamstring injury on the Greece trip and they weren't sure how long she need to fully recover from that. And two ALC injuries in high school.
Yes. She injured herself on the Greece trip and was not healthy at the start of the season. She has had very limited time on the court this season and she hasn't played for quite some time, so I believe she probably reinjured herself or has a new injury. Staffs are almost always closed mouth on injuries nowadays.

Yes. She injured herself on the Greece trip and was not healthy at the start of the season. She has had very limited time on the court this season and she hasn't played for quite some time, so I believe she probably reinjured herself or has a new injury. Staffs are almost always closed mouth on injuries nowadays.
Hamstring injuries can linger too, especially if you try to come back too soon.

Reactions: ptrich
They only need a post in the portal to be a difference maker. And maybe 1-2 more role players. But Beau will play LOTS of good and meaningful minutes next year.
I feel like Beaumont could be in position to make a big jump next year. Good shooter, good handles, has the ability to create a shot for herself. I think her occasional tendency to get lost on defense right now is the only thing keeping her from getting more minutes right now.

IU has zero margin for error in that they have ZERO quality depth. I would not expect IU to win any game against a top 5-7 of the BT team without Parrish or any other starter. The drop off from starter to best bench player is too huge. Purdue did play one of our better games today, but we still are not a good team and are unlikely to finish with a winning record. Only UWisc, Northwestern and Rutgers have lower NET rankings in the BT than Purdue this year.

That holds true for many teams, men and women. You lose a star player, you’re going to take a big hit. How many teams have a backup just as good?
If Purdue lost Eddy on the men’s side, they’d be in real trouble. You take away the centerpiece of a team, it’s tough to just keep trucking with no fall off.

That holds true for many teams, men and women. You lose a star player, you’re going to take a big hit. How many teams have a backup just as good?
If Purdue lost Eddy on the men’s side, they’d be in real trouble. You take away the centerpiece of a team, it’s tough to just keep trucking with no fall off.
Agree with Purdue and Eddy, but would losing one of the guards for the Purdue men be as equally devastating or just a minor inconvenience? IU women have no depth, the loss of any of the starters is like the loss of Eddy, and that is not very many WBBall teams. Iowa has had starters miss games, but as long as its not Clarke, its a replaceable cog. Same with most of the top 25 teams, as long as its not THE star, a starter out a few games is not catastrophic. IU doesn't have that luxury, the top five have to stay healthy all year every game, or its a massive hole that the current roster cannot fill.

And this shows that IU wbball future is really bleak. Parish and Garzon will still be good, but after that IU is going to be really poor at the other 3 starters and once again have no bench, which has been Moren's achilles heal her whole time at IU, she has not been able to build up any depth or have good players ready to step in for graduating starters. IU has done very well with the portal on the women's side, but not sure they have the bait to attract great players with how little talent they have coming back.
you hope! What do you expect? We start 2 PGs and Bargresser plays every game that I've seen and looks solid for a freshman. if Meister is back, I assume she'll start so you'd have Garzon, Parrish, Meister, Bargresser and likely a portal player. We lost the face of our program last year and are still a top 20 team, so how is that not developing players/depth? Next year, we lose the current face of the program, and have a bench player and 2 freshmen posts, notwithstanding a portal player there. Not nearly as dire as you hope, I mean describe.

Reactions: DANC
Agree with Purdue and Eddy, but would losing one of the guards for the Purdue men be as equally devastating or just a minor inconvenience? IU women have no depth, the loss of any of the starters is like the loss of Eddy, and that is not very many WBBall teams. Iowa has had starters miss games, but as long as its not Clarke, its a replaceable cog. Same with most of the top 25 teams, as long as its not THE star, a starter out a few games is not catastrophic. IU doesn't have that luxury, the top five have to stay healthy all year every game, or its a massive hole that the current roster cannot fill.
Well, we just lost a starter, filled the spot and won on the road in a difficult environment against a team that isn't ranked but isn't as awful as their record suggests.

Does it always rain when you're at the beach?

What was devastating; you know we won, right? But, yes, I think if you lost Smith, Jones or Loyer, it would impact your team greatly; especially if it were Smith. To equate to us losing Holmes, which would be similar to you losing Edey, Meister has been playing and would step in and is better for the women than TKR is for your men, so I still think we'd weather it better.

Why is Parrish not playing?
In a boot and on crutches. Imaging today (likely MRI). Fracture (if no surgery needed) or sprain likely out 6 weeks.
Last year we had a sixth starter. This year we use Lex but Lex can’t score. That means we need 10-15 more points from the bench. Beau made a great drive move yesterday. Can she score? Can Jules get us some offensive rebounds? Lilly is solid but I don’t think can take over a game like Mac, Sara, Syd, or Chloe.

In a boot and on crutches. Imaging today (likely MRI). Fracture (if no surgery needed) or sprain likely out 6 weeks.
Last year we had a sixth starter. This year we use Lex but Lex can’t score. That means we need 10-15 more points from the bench. Beau made a great drive move yesterday. Can she score? Can Jules get us some offensive rebounds? Lilly is solid but I don’t think can take over a game like Mac, Sara, Syd, or Chloe.
I think Beau's problem is on the defensive end. She can score. Teri might be forced to deal with her defense if Syd is out long term, which I kind of suspect.

Reactions: Vern Pain
Well, we just lost a starter, filled the spot and won on the road in a difficult environment against a team that isn't ranked but isn't as awful as their record suggests.

Does it always rain when you're at the beach?
Purdue won't qualify for the WNIT, and may only win 2-4 games the rest of the season. WE are in fact as bad as our record. Our problem is we don't play our A game except when hopelessly outmatched, IU, Iowa, and TxA&M. All other games have been C and D level of efforts.....

Purdue won't qualify for the WNIT, and may only win 2-4 games the rest of the season. WE are in fact as bad as our record. Our problem is we don't play our A game except when hopelessly outmatched, IU, Iowa, and TxA&M. All other games have been C and D level of efforts.....
That's fine and all true, but yesterday they played well. Well enough to win, partly because of the rivalry/home court advantage. Maybe their best game they've played in conference...it was a formidable opponent YESTERDAY, at least.

As TMP would say....dumb. Bargesser & Meister aren't quality depth? I'd agree if you want to say "Not a lot of quality depth...".

I think Beau's problem is on the defensive end. She can score. Teri might be forced to deal with her defense if Syd is out long term, which I kind of suspect.
I realize they're freshman, but LaMendola & Beaument have been less than hoped for......From their stats, it looks like LaMendola can rebound a little, and Beaument can score a little....watching them....they are pretty limited this year in what they can do. I do imagine that the first year playing for Moran can be difficult.

3.8, 3,5 and 3.3 ppg, mostly against bad teams...... they are warm bodies but they are NOT quality backups. Meister rebounds some and Bargassar gets some assists, but the drop off from starter to bench for IU is dramatic and why they historically underachieve in the NCAA. Against a poor Purdue team the IU bench in 50 minutes got 2 points.

3.8, 3,5 and 3.3 ppg, mostly against bad teams...... they are warm bodies but they are NOT quality backups. Meister rebounds some and Bargassar gets some assists, but the drop off from starter to bench for IU is dramatic and why they historically underachieve in the NCAA. Against a poor Purdue team the IU bench in 50 minutes got 2 points.
Lexus is also a lock down defender. Gearlds even said that with Syd out, we got better defensively with Bargesser on the court more. Her shot is dreadful, but she's athletic as hell, a good PG and can get to the rim if she needs to. Beau and Lamendola don't play a lot because they don't need to (yet) and they play more than previous year's freshmen have played.

Meister and Bargesser are quality reserves; you are a dumbass.

Reactions: kmathum
Making stuff up as you go. Meister is as good as backups get generally, and of course there's a drop off, she's playing behind an AA. Look at your men's team: you think the dropoff isn't huge if you were to lose Edey?

Depth had nothing to do with us losing last year, imo: our starters (MM was playing but recovering from an injury) couldn't stop Miami, and dealing with that level of athleticism probably is our achilles heel, but that's in our starters not because we lacked depth.

Lexus is also a lock down defender. Gearlds even said that with Syd out, we got better defensively with Bargesser on the court more. Her shot is dreadful, but she's athletic as hell, a good PG and can get to the rim if she needs to. Beau and Lamendola don't play a lot because they don't need to (yet) and they play more than previous year's freshmen have played.
Yes. All five of the veteran starters for IU are shooters and can pick up big numbers in any one game. Obviously, if Parrish is out for a lengthy period, it's not going to help the cause any. From a scoring standpoint only, here are the shooting percentages of the bench players that are part of the rotation. There's certainly more to the game than just shooting, but I've seen some posts/comments that seem to think the bench can't score. With the veteran shooters IU has, there is no reason for the bench players to come in and try to light up the scoreboard. Here are the bench rotation shooting percentages as of right now.

Meister - 32 of 42 for .762 from the field. (Right now, she will be the heir apparent to Holmes next season)

Bargesser - 26 of 41 for .520,

Both of the incoming freshmen are averaging 9.3 minutes per game each.

Beaumont - 22 of 41 for .537 and she is 2 for 5 behind the arc.

LaMendola - 9 of 23 for .391. LaMendola was dealing with an injury at the start of the season, and had a slow start to the season.

Reactions: IUAlum
I don’t disagree with this. There have been many games where I thought the outcome was not in doubt yet our bench is not yet playing. We lose Mac, Sara, and Chloe. We have two 6’4” freshman coming in and one will have to make an immediate impact (like JuJu in California).
I also agree we need someone to really blossom - Beau? Jules?
Finally at least one portal who can start and score.
So asking a lot.
I think that the women will be fine. Parrish is back and I look for Chloe to return( she has another year, I believe) Lily Meister has been mentored by Mac. Beaumont and LaMendola are coming along wel, and two good 6'4" HS girls coming in. We need a couple of good shooting guards from the portal (A-la Sara Scalia) and we should be good. Sharnecce Currie- Jelks has done a disappearing act- what gives with her?

Reactions: kmathum and DANC
Does anyone know about Currie Jelks? She gets zero minutes. I did see her play once with a big brace on her knee. Is she hurt or just not a big ten talent level?
I've wondered the same- she was supposed to be freshman of the year in her conference( forgot which one)

I feel like Beaumont could be in position to make a big jump next year. Good shooter, good handles, has the ability to create a shot for herself. I think her occasional tendency to get lost on defense right now is the only thing keeping her from getting more minutes right now.
I think with more playing time, she could be like Grace Berger( I did not say another Grace Berger---she was one of the mentally toughest players I have ever seen-- a joy to watch!)

Reactions: Vern Pain
I've wondered the same- she was supposed to be freshman of the year in her conference( forgot which one)
Currie-Jelks has appeared in just three games and averaged three minutes in each of those appearances. She is 1 for 1 from the field and has one defensive rebound and that is the extent of her stats so far.

She appeared in the Eastern Illinois game back on Nov 9th, the Lipscomb game on Nov 19, and her very last appearance was in the Evansville game on Dec 18th and that's it. I haven't found anything on social media about her and I have to believe she has a lingering injury that just doesn't want to go away.

It seems the staff is tight-lipped about her, so unless someone is close to the team and knows what's going on with her and lets us know, we may not know about her until after the end of the season.

Currie-Jelks has appeared in just three games and averaged three minutes in each of those appearances. She is 1 for 1 from the field and has one defensive rebound and that is the extent of her stats so far.

She appeared in the Eastern Illinois game back on Nov 9th, the Lipscomb game on Nov 19, and her very last appearance was in the Evansville game on Dec 18th and that's it. I haven't found anything on social media about her and I have to believe she has a lingering injury that just doesn't want to go away.

It seems the staff is tight-lipped about her, so unless someone is close to the team and knows what's going on with her and lets us know, we may not know about her until after the end of the season.
She’s been listed as OUT and in a knee brace for at least 3 weeks

Reactions: ptrich

We are very tight lipped about injuries. Right now I want to know about Syd and her foot. Fracture? Sprain? Surgery? We were told she had “imaging” today and I suspect that means an MRI. Hope for the best.

She was from UT Martin I believe and FOTY in that conference. I should look it up rather than trust my memory. I think she had an ACL in high school also.

Interesting analogy.
I agree Iowa is likely the favorite to win the big this year. Their loss to OSU just shows how hard it is to win on the road. And we swept the big twice in 75 76.

She’s been listed as OUT and in a knee brace for at least 3 weeks
Thanks. I haven't attended any of the home games and I really haven't noticed her on the televised games. I believe it was a hamstring injury on the Greece trip and with her wearing a knee brace, it sounds like something different.

I posted this on the other forum, and the longer they take to update Parrish's injury situation, the more I think it will not be good news. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

We are very tight lipped about injuries. Right now I want to know about Syd and her foot. Fracture? Sprain? Surgery? We were told she had “imaging” today and I suspect that means an MRI. Hope for the best.
"Imaging" could mean x-ray, ultrasound, CT scan, MRI... pretty much anything. Normally starts with an Xray because that's much cheaper but if that is inconclusive might move to an MRI.

Coach Moren said today that Parrish is out indefinitely with a foot injury (no specifics on the injury) and that Currie-Jelks has been "dealing with personal issues."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT