ADVERTISEMENT

IUWBB Portal

would have? She struggled vs the USC girl, Cordoza? The female version of Zach Edey. That's who I'd have taken #1 based just on impact she might have on a team in Ws/Ls. Hard to calculate though with the financial impact Caitlin Clark will have.
As much as I think Caitlin Clark is too much a ME person, there is no doubt of her skill and literally inestimable dollar value.

At 6’6”, Cardozo will be one of 10 women 6’6” or taller in wnba. Will Cardozo be a factor in the wnba, probably, but it will be unlikely she can tower over other wnba teams like she freqytowered over 6’3” college centers.
CC is more likely to be a standout, IMO. The defenders are more likely to be taller and faster, but it will ne interestimg to see

At 6’6”, Cardozo will be one of 10 women 6’6” or taller in wnba. Will Cardozo be a factor in the wnba, probably, but it will be unlikely she can tower over other wnba teams like she freqytowered over 6’3” college centers.
CC is more likely to be a standout, IMO. The defenders are more likely to be taller and faster, but it will ne interestimg to see
The thing about Clark is she will score because of her immense range. But she also has a good midrange shot and can drive.
She also has great vision and passing skill so assists will be there. Her game may change but she will pack stats somewhere and affect games. And I don’t even like her.

The Fever drafter Aaliyah Boston, who started over Cardozza at SC, last year. Why on earth would they even consider drafting her backup #1 over CC?
Good point. I don't watch much women's bball that doesn't involve IU until the tourney, and didn't know they drafted her last year. I'm just saying in this years tournament, I thought Cardoza made the biggest impact on both ends of the floor.

But, to counter, didn't Trevion Williams start ahead of Zach Edey 2 years ago? Cardoza impacted both ends and Clark is only offensive. I think she'll still be a great player, possibly All Star level, but I don't think she'll be able to dominate like she did in college and better and more physical defenders will bring her down a level. I'm just commenting on what I saw in this years tournament, and really shouldn't comment on the WNBA... not sure I've watched 48 minutes of WNBA action in total.

Reactions: Grateful Redbeard
I don’t know about dominating, but she will score (long distance, her midrange accuracy, driving ). She also has great floor vision and will rack up assists.

Not seeing based on her highlights. She needs a lot of work, imo. I don't presently see her as a capable backup for this year. I agree with Jssanto that a portal big, to at least split time with Lilly, would be a very welcome development. Lilly's probably an above average BT center, but the FF showed that you need a serious talent down low to compete at the highest level. Even MHs, as much as we liked and admired her, would have struggled against those players. I like the '25 recruits, but I'm not thrilled with the roster as it stands going into '24/'25. Maybe TM has confidence in Jelks?
She was one of the 5 finalists for Indiana Miss Basketball. She can play. My opinion is still the same re her.

Reactions: red hornet
Coach Moren picks up a big from Tenessee and a shooter from Penn State tosay. I guess she may be able to use this portal thibg after all!!!!
Right, Shay Ciezki, a 5-7 G & shooter has committed to the women's Hoosiers, avg 11.5 pts. last year. Earlier, Karoline Striplin, 6-3 F committed. Former Miss Basketball from Alabama, 2021.

Reactions: kkott
I don’t know why Moren doesn’t use the portal. The roster needs an upgrade.
This wasn't accurate when typed, and has aged even more poorly! Moren's doing things the way I think they need to be: build your team through recruiting and multi-year portal players and then augment addressing specific needs. I think we still have coaching questions, but not many are on the women's side.

Anyone know if Coach Moren is recruiting any other transfers? I believe there are 2 spots open for the roster if necessary.

Coach Moren picks up a big from Tenessee and a shooter from Penn State tosay. I guess she may be able to use this portal thibg after all!!!!
Shay Ciezki is the “shooter” from Penn Sate. Only 5’ 7” so I hope she is fast and plays D.
She shot only 37% from 3 last year but her FT per cent was 90. Scored 40 once in a non con game.
I bet TM is done with the portal. We added 1 big and 1 G in our efforts to replace Mac and Sara.

"Karoline is a tough post player who can score inside & out while also establishing herself as a great post defender" Coach Moren.

Shay Ciezki is the “shooter” from Penn Sate. Only 5’ 7” so I hope she is fast and plays D.
She shot only 37% from 3 last year but her FT per cent was 90. Scored 40 once in a non con game.
I bet TM is done with the portal. We added 1 big and 1 G in our efforts to replace Mac and Sara.

She's got 2 'ships left......I agree she may be done unless 1. someone leaves; or 2. someone's good enough that she can't pass on them......just my guessing though.

And Alyssa Geary

Geary was a home run.

20221023005715_7519f6c8-dfd9-4333-92d2-e9c1841f75b9.jpg

This wasn't accurate when typed, and has aged even more poorly! Moren's doing things the way I think they need to be: build your team through recruiting and multi-year portal players and then augment addressing specific needs. I think we still have coaching questions, but not many are on the women's side.
She needed to use the portal last year and didn’t.

Jelks is interesting. Trivial playing time last year. Moren said injuries and “personal stuff”.
If someone were to transfer, I would guess her. If she stays I think she may be practice help, but not game help.
We will see she could barely move with her leg but was defensive player of the year as a freshman in the OVC. We now have a deep enough team to play a lot of players if Moren wants.

The kid from TN will take her time. She'll get no more than mop up time.
She started 11 games and contributed for Tennessee. Our assistant recruited her out of high school. I think with her and Lilly we will not have to rely on Faith to come in and play right away but will have battles in practice which is always good.

She needed to use the portal last year and didn’t.

She did. And Currie-Jelks got hurt in Greece with a pulled hamstring. She played 3 games during the season and aggravated it. I heard, but cannot confirm, the second injury was a tear. By the time she got healthy, the decision was made to redshirt.

So, you are wrong again.

Plus choose players who fit your team culture and personality. Teri does it the right way.

She did. And Currie-Jelks got hurt in Greece with a pulled hamstring. She played 3 games during the season and aggravated it. I heard, but cannot confirm, the second injury was a tear. By the time she got healthy, the decision was made to redshirt.

So, you are wrong again.
Thanks. I knew she was injured but did not know about the strain/tear. Moren also said something about personal issues but no detail. I saw her play in person only once, in some mop up minutes, and it looked like a big knee brace.
I hope she gets healthy, hits the weights hard, studies film, and makes a jump.

I saw where the Boilers were losing starting freshman Mary Ashely Stevenson to the portal after she was named the B1G Freshman of the Year by the media.
I did not see that. I don’t pay attention to PU but I have seen Moren compliment their coach- Gaddis or something like that. I think I read that they picked up someone good from the portal.

I saw where the Boilers were losing starting freshman Mary Ashely Stevenson to the portal after she was named the B1G Freshman of the Year by the media.
Was reading that yesterday. Averaged 10/7 as a 6’2” frosh. Pretty good numbers. Wonder if CTM thinks could be a fit?

I think Moren is pickier about player personality than some other coaches. I have no inside info, just my opinion from the outside looking in.
Abstract qualities like playing your role on the floor, conducting yourself as a pro off the court, being a teammate in the locker room, effort, and so on, I think describe our players more than some other teams. Of course I could be wrong, I have never attended a single practice and don’t even live in Indiana any more. It just seems that way to me.

I think Moren is pickier about player personality than some other coaches. I have no inside info, just my opinion from the outside looking in.
Abstract qualities like playing your role on the floor, conducting yourself as a pro off the court, being a teammate in the locker room, effort, and so on, I think describe our players more than some other teams. Of course I could be wrong, I have never attended a single practice and don’t even live in Indiana any more. It just seems that way to me.
No, you're correct. She's about being a good fit, not just talented.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT