ADVERTISEMENT

IU women's team can be special....

as soon as Garzon realizes she is Berger, 2.0. Really enjoyed watching the game tonight.
I didn't look down the list and see your post here. I would have placed my comment on this thread.

She was on fire in the first half of the game tonight.

as soon as Garzon realizes she is Berger, 2.0. Really enjoyed watching the game tonight.
She’s not Berger. Not nearly as quick or the ball handler. But she is a better outside shooter. Love her overall game and demeanor. Parrish is solid. Scalia is solid. Mc is the hub. And the bench is much better than last year. Only one that worries me is Chloe. She hustles and defends, but her shooting is very erratic.

Yardon missed many short, in the paint, shots tonight. She drilled 3 straight 3 pt shots to end the second quarter and finished 5-6 from 3. For those that don’t follow IUWBB closely she played G last year and was 45 % from 3 pt range. This year Moren has said she is going to post her more (she is 6’3”) and play inside.
I agree our ranking might be more 10-15 range than FF. To be FF I feel Sara has to hit above 40% from three and take those shots, Mac has to reproduce her last year, Yardon has to take a step up ( and that is a big ask after a great freshman year), and I would really like a surprise from somewhere else.
I am likely asking too much.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Their a possible sweet sixteen team.
But not a serious F.F. team..
But a bunch closer than the men's team well ever be..
Lady's need more quickness and athleticism. A Diamond Miller clone could elevate them to a FF, imho. The Stanford game exposed their weaknesses. They still are really good but not an elite team. I thought the same last year and Miami exposed them with their quickness and they were never in a comfort zone.

Lady's need more quickness and athleticism. A Diamond Miller clone could elevate them to a FF, imho. The Stanford game exposed their weaknesses. They still are really good but not an elite team. I thought the same last year and Miami exposed them with their quickness and they were never in a comfort zone.
Stanford is not 30 points better than IU. They just had one of those games they were on fire that day, and IU the opposite. If they played again it would be a toss up.

The only thing Miami exposed last year was that Mac wasn’t 100%. If she had been, that would have been a much different game

She’s not Berger. Not nearly as quick or the ball handler. But she is a better outside shooter. Love her overall game and demeanor. Parrish is solid. Scalia is solid. Mc is the hub. And the bench is much better than last year. Only one that worries me is Chloe. She hustles and defends, but her shooting is very erratic.

No, she is not. But she can be. She is better than Grace at the same point of their respective collegiate careers. Like you said, she is not the ball handler...yet. She showed a nice pull up jumper like Grace yesterday. Give her a couple of years to improve her handle and foot speed and I think she be fantastic.

No, she is not. But she can be. She is better than Grace at the same point of their respective collegiate careers. Like you said, she is not the ball handler...yet. She showed a nice pull up jumper like Grace yesterday. Give her a couple of years to improve her handle and foot speed and I think she be fantastic.
You either have foot speed or don't.
I was watching her run up court..She's a plodder..Runs flat footed..
She's still good and has length at her postion..She'll still improve.
Go Lady Hoosiers !

Go Lady Hoosiers !
Agree. Foot speed is not her game.
But she has a very accurate 3 pt shot, length, toughness, and tremendous experience (she was on the Israel pro team at age 16).

Reactions: Tscurlo
Go Lady Hoosiers !

This is completely not true. There are dozens of drills to improve foot speed. My son played basketball and trained at Teamwork here in Bloomington. He did drills to engage his fast twitch muscles which improved his foot speed. I am sure Garzon is doing the same.

Now there is a limit on each person's speed but I doubt she has reached her peak speed at her young age.

This is completely not true. There are dozens of drills to improve foot speed. My son played basketball and trained at Teamwork here in Bloomington. He did drills to engage his fast twitch muscles which improved his foot speed. I am sure Garzon is doing the same.

Now there is a limit on each person's speed but I doubt she has reached her peak speed at her young age.
Interesting. I did not know that but when I think about it it would seem generally true. Within your biologically window. I could likely increase my vertical jump with training by a few inches, but never reach the 40” range.

Mac IS the hub. The pieces are all there but she's the most important piece.

That's probably sort of the point: she's been at IU for 2 years and played at a high level on national teams prior, so she's likely been doing those drills for years and isn't going to see a big jump. Nothing secret about that and "serious" players have been doing them since they got serious about ball and for YG that was likely 10 years ago.

Interesting. I did not know that but when I think about it it would seem generally true. Within your biologically window. I could likely increase my vertical jump with training by a few inches, but never reach the 40” range.
You can train to reach your maximum performance as limited by your genetics. You can't change your genetics.

That's probably sort of the point: she's been at IU for 2 years and played at a high level on national teams prior, so she's likely been doing those drills for years and isn't going to see a big jump. Nothing secret about that and "serious" players have been doing them since they got serious about ball and for YG that was likely 10 years ago.

Sorry, this makes no sense. A person's physical performance peak is in their mid 20's. There's a reason athletes keep training and it's not just to maintain. They keep going to get bigger, stronger, and faster.

We hear all the time how athletes have increased their vertical jump in college. I believe Reneau was referenced by an announcer in a game regarding a 4 inch increase in his vertical. And I am sure he has been training as much if not longer than YG.

We went to the game last night and it was really impressive. I thought they moved the ball well and played good defense despite getting pushed all over the place by their bigs....and Iiterally mean pushed! I didn't see very many legal screens last night but they handled business. I don't think they missed a beat with Berger not there....just my opinion. Really liked Bargesser!

Mac IS the hub. The pieces are all there but she's the most important piece.
I do like her game and is very crafty around the basket. However, she's not long and has trouble with the Stanford-like length and quickness. Having Garzon play more inside will help Mac tremendously.

I do like her game and is very crafty around the basket. However, she's not long and has trouble with the Stanford-like length and quickness. Having Garzon play more inside will help Mac tremendously.

You know Mack was a first team All American last season right?

She doesn't need help on the inside, wtf are you talking about?

Garzon on the outside helps her operate on the inside.

Only help she needs is staying healthy.

You know Mack was a first team All American last season right?

She doesn't need help on the inside, wtf are you talking about?

Garzon on the outside helps her operate on the inside.

Only help she needs is staying healthy.
You must have missed the Stanford game. She does need help on the inside. Wtf are you talking about. You can't read if you think I was belittling her. She is an All American and worthy of that designation, but needs help on the inside vs. the taller, longer teams.

You can train to reach your maximum performance as limited by your genetics. You can't change your genetics.
I’ve had testing done with some of the DNA services and one comment was-Likely do not excel at sports requiring fast twitch muscle fibers. I have a deficit. I have extremely good reflexes and endurance but a deficit of fast twitch fibers. They nailed it.

Is there a reason we do not try Lilly and Mac at the same time?

I don’t disagree with this. It is why I feel we need Garzon to take a leap (and I reiterate that is hard after a great freshman year). We also need Sara to hit above 40% from three and take a lot of them. When our plays get her a relatively open shot I think she is above 50/50.

I like meister a lot but if you play the two together it might be a bit crowded down low.
The other strategy I would like to learn is rebounding when we are shooting free throws. Sometimes we do not put anyone on the boundary lines to rebound a miss.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT