daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
September 12, 2022 | DaddyHoosier

SP+
(more of a projected ranking) – Western Kentucky 66, Indiana 81

CBS (more of a resume ranking) – Indiana 66, WKU 86

Schedule – Indiana faced Illinois (FBS 63) & Idaho (FCS 50); WKU faced Hawai’i (FBS 128) & Austin Peay (FCS 29) - SP+ rankings.

Hawai’i is one of the worst FBS teams & Idaho may be better than their ranking indicates. Keep in mind that Indiana’s grades (below) came against superior completion.

PFF Grades (I averaged the scores for the first two games.)

Overall WKU 73.5 IU 67.1

IU Offense 61.7 – WKU Defense 67.2

IU Pass 70.85 – WKU Coverage 72.45

IU Receiving 59.85

IU Pass Block 57.2 – WKU Pass Rush 61.95

IU Run 70.25 – WKU Run Defense 62.35

IU Run Block 45.5 – WKU Tackling 62.1

IU Special Teams no data – WKU ST 65.35

WKU O 72.5 – IU D 69.8

WKU Pass 73.5 – IU Coverage 59

WKU Receiving 66.1

WKU Pass Blk 85.8 – IU Pass Rush 59.65

WKU Run 71.25 – IU Run D 80.85

WKU Run Blk 61.8 – IU Tackling 64

WKU’s offense is more of an Air Raid – West Coast Hybrid than a true Air Raid. That said through two games they only have one fewer rusing attempt (61) than Indiana does. Former Indiana Running Back Davion Ervin-Poindexter has been the primary ba k thus far with 24 carries for 91 yards and a touchdown. All that to say Indiana’s highest score thus far is their Run Defense and WKU’s lowest score is their Run Blocking. Indiana has an opportunity to really stuff the Hilltopper ground game and make them one-demensional.

Also of note two of IU’s worst scores were run and pass blocking (45.5, 57.2) which is concerning to see. If IU can shore up their run blocking they have an opportunity to establish the run, keep the WKU Offense off the field, and give their Defense an opportunity to rest.

Coming into the season Indiana’s secondary was widely considered the best room on the team buy so far their average coverage grade is 59. The Hoosiers will face an air attack that is tied for 5th in the country in Passing Touchdowns (7).

WKU has a very high pass blocking score but I suspect this is a function of getting the ball out so quickly. (But I haven’t watched them play yet.)

Finally one would hope to see Indiana’s tackling grade improve this week as that will also go a long way toward stalling Hilltopper drives.

Last edited:
Jiminy Christmas, it was an adventure getting this posted! Trying to do it from my phone and it got all jacked up. Sorry about that. DaddyHoosier 0 - Message Board 1 . : / -__- \ :
I appreciate the efforts of you and others on this board who invest time to post stats and info on opponents, link articles, and provide other such details. You all are the workhorses of the board and make it worth checking out each day. It's a welcome respite from the bickering and non-stop whining/complaining of some posters, and the know-it-all trolling of a couple of others.

September 12, 2022 | DaddyHoosier

SP+
(more of a projected ranking) – Western Kentucky 66, Indiana 81

CBS (more of a resume ranking) – Indiana 66, WKU 86

Schedule – Indiana faced Illinois (FBS 63) & Idaho (FCS 50); WKU faced Hawai’i (FBS 128) & Austin Peay (FCS 29) - SP+ rankings.

Hawai’i is one of the worst FBS teams & Idaho may be better than their ranking indicates. Keep in mind that Indiana’s grades (below) came against superior completion.

PFF Grades (I averaged the scores for the first two games.)

Overall WKU 73.5 IU 67.1

IU Offense 61.7 – WKU Defense 67.2

IU Pass 70.85 – WKU Coverage 72.45

IU Receiving 59.85

IU Pass Block 57.2 – WKU Pass Rush 61.95

IU Run 70.25 – WKU Run Defense 62.35

IU Run Block 45.5 – WKU Tackling 62.1

IU Special Teams no data – WKU ST 65.35

WKU O 72.5 – IU D 69.8

WKU Pass 73.5 – IU Coverage 59

WKU Receiving 66.1

WKU Pass Blk 85.8 – IU Pass Rush 59.65

WKU Run 71.25 – IU Run D 80.85

WKU Run Blk 61.8 – IU Tackling 64

WKU’s offense is more of an Air Raid – West Coast Hybrid than a true Air Raid. That said through two games they only have one fewer rusing attempt (61) than Indiana does. Former Indiana Running Back Davion Ervin-Poindexter has been the primary ba k thus far with 24 carries for 91 yards and a touchdown. All that to say Indiana’s highest score thus far is their Run Defense and WKU’s lowest score is their Run Blocking. Indiana has an opportunity to really stuff the Hilltopper ground game and make them one-demensional.

Also of note two of IU’s worst scores were run and pass blocking (45.5, 57.2) which is concerning to see. If IU can shore up their run blocking they have an opportunity to establish the run, keep the WKU Offense off the field, and give their Defense an opportunity to rest.

Coming into the season Indiana’s secondary was widely considered the best room on the team buy so far their average coverage grade is 59. The Hoosiers will face an air attack that is tied for 5th in the country in Passing Touchdowns (7).

WKU has a very high pass blocking score but I suspect this is a function of getting the ball out so quickly. (But I haven’t watched them play yet.)

Finally one would hope to see Indiana’s tackling grade improve this week as that will also go a long way toward stalling Hilltopper drives.
Through two games, we’ve possessed the ball for roughly 45 minutes, while our opponents have had it for 75. I would think the coaches want to try to at least even that out going forward, if only to give the D some rest. Over the course of the season, that kind of imbalance will start to wear us out. Hopefully, the running game we showed in the second half, when we were better on TOP, will extend to the WKU game.

Last edited:
WK...glad their QB Zappie moved on to the NFL and their top receiver transferred (I believe). Also thought I saw where their OC moved on to a better job. Hopefully all those losses will slow down their offense a bit. They have proven they can move the ball and score some points with that system. They would be extremely dangerous if they had a stout defense to couple with that wide open offense. LEO

Sagarin numbers are out …

74 Indiana ……………….. A = 69.36
84 Western Kentucky A = 67.28

FAVORITE….Rating .. Predict .. Golden .. Recent … UNDERDOG …….…. ODDS .. PCT% .. TOTAL
INDIANA …… 4.49 ..…. 5.41 …….. 6.15 ……. 3.35 ……. western kentucky .. 161 …... 62% …. 55.96

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
IU has their work cut out for them this week - every week really. IU needs to come out on fire and take it to WKU from the start. Tackling much better should be happening in this game as the players have enough game experience to eliminate the misses. I do worry that the Fitzgerald to safety was a mistake while moving Noah has helped the defense.

WK...glad their QB Zappie moved on to the NFL and their top receiver transferred (I believe). Also thought I saw where their OC moved on to a better job. Hopefully all those losses will slow down their offense a bit. They have proven they can move the ball and score some points with that system. They would be extremely dangerous if they had a stout defense to couple with that wide open offense. LEO

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT