ADVERTISEMENT

IU playing Man vs Zone coverage

4IUSox2

All-Big Ten
Feb 5, 2003
Raiola’s Passer rating vs Zone coverage, which IU plays most of the time, is 90%. Against Man to Man, only 44.5%. That’s obviously a drastic difference. How does IU not let him get into a good rhythm back there?

Coaches or others in the know here, do you see IU switching this up on Saturday to play more press/man coverage to take advantage of this stat? If so, how much can a predominantly zone team, like IU, change up in just a 2 week window to prep?

Last edited:
Reactions: red hornet
Raiola’s Passer rating vs Zone coverage, which IU plays most of the time, is 90%. Against Man to Man, only 44.5%. That’s obviously a drastic difference. How does IU not let him get into a good rhythm back there?

Coaches or others in the know here, do you see IU switching this up on Saturday to play more press/man coverage to take advantage of this stat? If so, how much can a predominantly zone team, like IU, change up in just a 2 week window to prep?
A lot depends on the zone you play. I used a zone with man principles once the routes were declared because I didn't want to start with man due to needing run support. I question IU's zone defense because how much space they give up to receivers. A true zone defense is hard to switch DBs to play man coverage.

A lot depends on the zone you play. I used a zone with man principles once the routes were declared because I didn't want to start with man due to needing run support. I question IU's zone defense because how much space they give up to receivers. A true zone defense is hard to switch DBs to play man coverage.
The lack of speed in the LB's and DB'S may limit the amount of man IU can effectively play.
I'm not a coach, but the really quick players seem to give IU fits so far. Just my fan opinion

Reactions: bang63 and 4IUSox2
So many people now play read coverages as V was talking about. I would assume that IU does too. I see where our two corners were among the nations leaders in pass break ups. So even if we are playing a lot of zone we are reacting pretty well to the passes. I don't see it as being a big issue.

Our back end defense seems pretty good. Our run defense is fairly stout. Its the intermediate plays, quick plays out to the edges, the shorter passes, the 10-15 yard passes in the gaps of our zone, etc... where we struggle.

If we can put a decent amount of pressure on Raiola, that'll help take away some of the shorter/medium passing. I actually think its one of the bigger keys for us on Saturday...effective pressure. I say "effective" because Raiola is pretty decent playing out of the pocket, so we can't just flush him from the pocket...we need to pressure him and keep him in the pocket as much as possible. Force him to fit the ball in to tighter windows, on shorter schedules. He'll give us the ball a few times if we can do that, I'd bet.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT