ADVERTISEMENT

IU Game Thread... With Link To FREE Stream From CBS

What I think is missing is the direct, immediate focused coaching of Defensive Coordinator Tom Allen. He's gone now...only there parttime as he must spend time being Head Coach. Saw it last season. I like Hagan...but he is not the amazing DC Tom Allen.

HC Tom Allen has much to prove. And this defense shouldn't need him to correct it after an entire off season getting them ready. The problems we see aren't quick fixes. There may even be a talent issue here. Very disturbing Dline play...even Oline let me down a lot. Without those turnovers this game would be very different.

We need Tom Allen working full time with this bunch for us to have a chance at 6 wins. When he first got here, he was with the defense on the sidelines, pumping them up, fire in their bellies. Not now. Forget that 7-8 win stuff...its going to take every thing the players and coaches have to get to 6. And Debord needs to look at his play book on 3rd down and time management basics...please.

Last edited:
What I think is missing is the direct, immediate focused coaching of Defensive Coordinator Tom Allen. He's gone now...only there parttime as he much spend time being Head Coach. Saw it last season. I like Hagan...but he is not the amazing DC Tom Allen.

HC Tom Allen has much to prove. And this defense shouldn't need him to correct it after an entire off season getting them ready. The problems we see aren't quick fixes. There may even be a talent issue here. Very disturbing Dline play...even Oline let me down a lot. Without those turnovers this game would be very different.

We need Tom Allen working full time with this bunch for us to have a chance at 6 wins. Forget that 7-8 win stuff...its going to take every thing the player and coaches have to get to 6. And Debord needs to look at his play book on 3rd down and time management basics...please.
I have to think if it gets to a point where he is uncomfortable he will step back in but I agree

Reactions: IUCol
We need Tom Allen working full time with this bunch for us to have a chance at 6 wins. Forget that 7-8 win stuff...its going to take every thing the player and coaches have to get to 6. And Debord needs to look at his play book on 3rd down and time management basics...please.

I agree with some of your points, especially about not having CTA be able to focus completely on the defense. However, don't forget when judging our D tonight, that FIU has an excellent OL (one player Butch Davis says will be a first rounder), and they are a pretty good team that went 8-5 last year, I believe.

What I think is missing is the direct, immediate focused coaching of Defensive Coordinator Tom Allen. He's gone now...only there parttime as he much spend time being Head Coach. Saw it last season. I like Hagan...but he is not the amazing DC Tom Allen.

Glad I'm not watching the same game you are. FIU was 8-5 last year. 'Experts' picked this as an upset game. Too many positives to be as negative as you are. That being said, FIU coaches are horrendous. I would have done so many things differently with their team.

Reactions: 76-1
Offense has been been a pleasant surprise. I was hoping that the plethora of talent would come through, it has so I'm happy about that.

D has been...interesting. We've had flashes of real good and then drives that just blow us away. I'm nervous, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt that CTA can figure it out moving forward.
On offense I'm a little concerned about our yards after catch. From what I've seen, we're playing a ball control offense, and haven't had much big play capability. And our receivers seem to be going down easily.

Also on offense, I'd say that we miss the zone blocking schemes that IU ran under Wilson . . . if a true frosh with what looks to be 4.7 speed is our best RB once Gest goes limps off - and after seeing the guy for a couple of seasons now, it's pretty clear that Gest is going to limp off - I dunno, guys.

On defense, I'm not seeing our LBs doing all that much, particularly compared to what we got used to last year. Is 44 really the best we have to put on the field at that position? He just doesn't seem to be in the mix much.

Glad I'm not watching the same game you are. FIU was 8-5 last year. 'Experts' picked this as an upset game. Too many positives to be as negative as you are. That being said, FIU coaches are horrendous. I would have done so many things differently with their team.
Compared to the last two seasons we look worse jmho

Reactions: IUCol
Compared to the last two seasons we look worse jmho
Ohhh I don't think so. You've forgotten Lagow . . .

I do think we're much weaker at LB, at least so far, but that's in comparison to a couple of guys who are at the margins of NFL rosters . . . that's tough for a program like IU to replace each year.

Almost all of FIU’s skill from last year either graduated or are out tonight with injuries. They’re okay, but that’s it. IU’s D is clearly struggling with a bunch of new guys out there.

I do think we're much weaker at LB, at least so far, but that's in comparison to a couple of guys who are at the margins of NFL rosters . . . that's tough for a program like IU to replace each year.

Ha, Lagow couldn't hit a moving target which is a really bad quality in a QB.

#91 on our DL NEEDS a new jersey. C'mon mangers keep your head in the game. It's extremely loose on one shoulder and the FIU Oline is using the jersey 'slack' to pull #91 around. He has been constantly trying to adjust it between plays.

Responding to the defense

Reactions: Superstar84b
Crawford is frustrating. Will make great plays and then have mental lapses. On the mesh route I’ve noticed he regularly goes over the top of the crosser instead of staying to his body. It’s a trend. I recall him being beaten a lot on that last year. Rough technique. Then the missed tackle. He’ll have to be consistent this year.

Reactions: skippy1813 and 76-1
Crawford is frustrating. Will make great plays and then have mental lapses. On the mesh route I’ve noticed he regularly goes over the top of the crosser instead of staying to his body. It’s a trend. I recall him being beaten a lot on that last year. Rough technique. Then the missed tackle. He’ll have to be consistent this year.

Good analysis.

So far on this drive the ball control offense is working to IU's advantage. Clock management is pretty good, getting first downs consistently, but by just enough yardage to keep the clock running for a lonnnnng time.

BTW, I like Ramsey as a running QB who can throw a bit. He's more athletic than he generally gets credit for. That said, Penix is gonna be good. If he'd been around when Sudfeld got tossed into the fire as a frosh, I'm not sure Nate would be playing Sundays now.

Ouch, Ramsey just got speared in the head by the defender on that tackle. That was an EXTREME blow, and Ramsey looked slow getting up. $20 bucks says he just suffered a concussion.

If the defense is broken it would make total sense with the way the offense has played. I don't recall a time when Indiana was solid on both sides of the ball which explains why we've rarely won 9-10 games. We've either got a stout defense that the offense can't keep off the field or we have a solid offense that has to outscore the other team because the defense bleeds points. Just hope once in my life we have a complete team that exceeds expectations.

I wanna score on this drive. I want to salt this sucker away, not play "good enough" and hope the D can hold 'em.

So glad to see Alabama destroying UL. This should be Petrino's last year at UL (they aren't good at all, and yes I know it's Alabama). Hopefully UL calls home Brohm and Purdue goes back to being mediocre.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
Anxious to see the defensive adjusts next game.
Agreed.

My sense is that IU has played pretty vanilla D tonight, and hasn't really shown any wrinkles on O. Establishing a ball control offense and finding out which of your guys can/can't win 1 on 1 is a pretty good approach for a first game. And FIU is a worthy opponent for those purposes. Plus the Florida recruiting . . . .

Reactions: Indianaftw
Oddsmakers are really good at their jobs...

Nice W to start the year. Lots of young guys on D that hopefully have nowhere to go but up. Offensive showed a bit more than I was expecting. We may have a full blown QB controversy on our hands (again).

Reactions: Indianaftw
Good win overall. Won the rushing battle 203 to 170. No way the team controls the possession like that at the end last year. The offensive line is dramatically improved IMHO. Icing the game simply would not have happened last year like that. The s&c is showing for some players too. Some guys looked really explosive. Overall the team just has to be more consistent heading into the Virginia game. With some minor corrections, they have a shot to start 2-0.

Enh . . . I'll take it.

And that speaks volumes about how far IU has come in the last 8 years. Back then I'd have been nuts to get a win like this, against a team that played in a bowl last year and whose coach helped build a national championship team at Miami and who has far, far more coaching experience than CTA has.

Solid enough win, and hopefully Gest isn't hurt all that badly.

We will see whose perceptions are correct next week. Many defensive weaknesses. Don't oversell FIU...nice preconference test but are no where near what we will see in just a few weeks. I'm hoping for solid improvement between games 1 and 2 but what I saw out there is going to take more than that...I think...vbg. Next week gives us more to study. The D was solid about as often as they were out of position or flat dominated. Mixed bag. Coaching might fix much of this, but some cant. It going to be an interesting semester of B10 FB 101...are we going forward or backward? There is no middle ground. I think we are moving in the right direction, but maybe slower than I first thought. I can understand that when you have an inexperienced HC. Just more learning curve.

Defense relaxing..old IU habit...when ahead
What I think is missing is the direct, immediate focused coaching of Defensive Coordinator Tom Allen. He's gone now...only there parttime as he must spend time being Head Coach. Saw it last season. I like Hagan...but he is not the amazing DC Tom Allen.

We need Tom Allen working full time with this bunch for us to have a chance at 6 wins. When he first got here, he was with the defense on the sidelines, pumping them up, fire in their bellies. Not now. Forget that 7-8 win stuff...its going to take every thing the players and coaches have to get to 6. And Debord needs to look at his play book on 3rd down and time management basics...please.

Lol, little early to be throwing in the towel. There are a lot of new guys out there on D and Tom will clearly have to spend some quality time with them, particularly in the next three weeks.

this is a six win regular season team. Anything under or over will be a under/over achievement.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT