ADVERTISEMENT

IU football collectibles

Chriselli

All-Big Ten
Nov 27, 2001
A few years ago, people posted their IU collections and it was really interesting. What is everyone's favorite piece?

I am looking for a pennant from the Holiday Bowl. Additionally, did anyone on the board win the ARE game used senior year jersey on eBay two years ago? I just missed it by seconds. Ugh.

Reactions: RBB89
A few years ago, people posted their IU collections and it was really interesting. What is everyone's favorite piece?

I am looking for a pennant from the Holiday Bowl. Additionally, did anyone on the board win the ARE game used senior year jersey on eBay two years ago? I just missed it by seconds. Ugh.
I'll post a bunch tomorrow. Good thread.

I have tons. Hard to say my favorite. I think I know the signed ARE jersey you're talking about, it didn't have a COA though, right? I believe it was signed...longways, or something unusal I seem to remember. Anyways, I don't buy auto's w/out COA's. They're worthless, at least in the eyes of collectors, or those who can pay you, basically.

My favorite two items are an ARE signed game day helmet, with a huge hit mark on it. I also have a 6'ish tall banner that hung at the stadium of ARE jumping over a pile of boilermakers for a touchdown. We hang that at all of our tailgate parties. My brother has a game day helmet signed my Coach Hep. I'm keeping my eyes on that one.

My favorite two items are an ARE signed game day helmet, with a huge hit mark on it. I also have a 6'ish tall banner that hung at the stadium of ARE jumping over a pile of boilermakers for a touchdown. We hang that at all of our tailgate parties. My brother has a game day helmet signed my Coach Hep. I'm keeping my eyes on that one.
Did you buy the ARE helmet on eBay? I saw one about seven years ago. Also, I'd love to see the ARE banner!

Last edited:
Did you buy the ARE helmet on ebae? I saw one about seven years ago. Also, I'd love to see the ARE banner!
My real good buddy used to work in the athletic department with Buzz in academics. He gave me the helmet for my birthday. I love ARE. He has tons of great IU paraphernalia. We hang that banner at a football/tailgate party only facility across from the Stadium, we call it the Garage Majal. Will try to get you a picture and post it here soon.

I have an IU pennant from the Rose Bowl which indirectly came from my nephew who lives in southern California. He had sent it his dad (my brother) and when my brother died two years ago it was given to me. It is a great part of IU possessions which involve many books and yearbooks. The next unique piece is the ARE bobblehead doll which was given out at the last home football game against Kentucky in 2001.

Last edited:
I have an IU pennant from the Rose Bowl which indirectly came from my nephew who lives in southern California. He had sent it his dad (my brother) and when my brother died two years it was given to me. It is a great part of IU possessions which involve many books and yearbooks. The next unique piece is the ARE bobblehead doll which was given out at the last home football game against Kentucky in 2001.
Great story about your brother, and those pennants are rare and really cool. Love my ARE bobblehead also. It's in my office next to my Anthony Thompson and Roberto Clemente bobbleheads. My sports trivecta idols.

I bought a ring from the Insight Bowl game which was awarded to a Senior manager. who sold it to a memorabilia seller.

Great story about your brother, and those pennants are rare and really cool. Love my ARE bobblehead also. It's in my office next to my Anthony Thompson and Roberto Clemente bobbleheads. My sports trivecta idols.
Thank you. My wife and I both received the ARE bobblehead that day. I hated that Kentucky people were able to also have them, but at least it was a reminder to them of how the game came out that day!

I’ve spent more on eBay than I really should have. One of the best purchases was a jersey from the 2007 Bucket game. I have purchased half a dozen jerseys besides that one. I also have a couple old game programs from 1945, the Rose Bowl program and ticket, and a medal from the 1960 dedication of the stadium. I have a box of “ARE For Heisman” mousepads from 2001. I also bought a couple boxes of coaches’ game film (16mm?) from the mid to late 80s (I’ve never watched them). I also bought a blown up reproduction of the 1931 team photo (with my grandfather in the back row to the right, and with a German Shepard sitting on the upper left) from the IU Archives.

The three coolest pieces of memorabilia I’ve seen in person were 1) an old red and white leather helmet from the early 1900s (1915?) 2) the blue jersey from 1958 (was on display in the football offices) and 3) the analog game clock from old Memorial stadium (I saw it at the Alumni Center across from the stadium).

Last edited:
Around 1959 or '60 when I was about 6 or 7 years old my grandmother, who lived about 3 blocks from campus, bought me a "replica" of IU's light blue jersey with the red "UCLA" shoulder stripes at one of the sporting goods stores near the square downtown. I think she found it in a bargain bin because IU hadn't used those colors for a couple of seasons. I wore that jersey everywhere even though I wasn't old enough to realize that IU no longer was wearing them. I also remember the number on it was 69. Geeze I wish I still had it.... So, when IU came out with the ARE replica jersey his senior season I bought one for my youngest son who was just about 9 at the time. It was way too big for him to wear so I stored it until last year when I gave it back to him. He wore it to an IU game last year. It fit him, sort of, it was a little snug but he could put it over his sweat shirt and not be uncomfortable. I've told him to NEVER throw it way, no matter how ratty it gets!

Last edited:
I have a whole man cave of stuff ranging from jerseys to posters to hand wood carvings of CTA and Mallory.

My prized possession is more personal. It was at media day of ARE’s senior year the Louisville newspaper put a photo of him signing my jersey in the paper.. still have the signed jersey the news paper article and a photo of him signing all framed together.

Same deal without the newspaper article of AJ Guyton with an AJ Guyton Jersey..

Also collect game tapes.. I have every single football game that’s been played by IU from 00-16 on DVD and or VHS. Also have ARE’s senior bowl game on VHS. Have all of the Bill Mallory coaches shows as well as Corso and so on.

Also have the same for basketball seasons.

AND ALWAYS LOOKING TO ADD TO THE COLLECTION.

Go Hoosiers!

I have a whole man cave of stuff ranging from jerseys to posters to hand wood carvings of CTA and Mallory.

My prized possession is more personal. It was at media day of ARE’s senior year the Louisville newspaper put a photo of him signing my jersey in the paper.. still have the signed jersey the news paper article and a photo of him signing all framed together.

Also collect game tapes.. I have every single football game that’s been played by IU from 00-16 on DVD and or VHS. Also have ARE’s senior bowl game on VHS. Have all of the Bill Mallory coaches shows as well as Corso and so on.

Go Hoosiers!
Wow that is some collection especially the game tapes and coaches shows. Corsos shows were very funny at times. Can't beat a draw play on a 3rd and 10.

Go Hoosiers!
Dang son!

I have some good pics of my dad’s collection but I’m having some technical difficulties.

Go Hoosiers!

Do you have literally all of the games from '00 and '01? I probably have about five, but I would love to have 2000 vs. Minnesota and 2001 at Wisconsin.

I haven't been able to find it, but at one time I had the OSU Saturday night replay of the 1987 IU-OSU game in Columbus. Hope I can find it.
Are you talking audio or video replay? I remember listening to that game on my car radio as I was out shopping and then just pulled over into a shopping center parking lot at about halftime to finish the game. Sorry, no replay of any kind.

Do you have literally all of the games from '00 and '01? I probably have about five, but I would love to have 2000 vs. Minnesota and 2001 at Wisconsin.

Yeah I have all of them. I will dig through them and find them and see if I can’t make a copy for you when I get some time during the off-season.

Are you talking audio or video replay? I remember listening to that game on my car radio as I was out shopping and then just pulled over into a shopping center parking lot at about halftime to finish the game. Sorry, no replay of any kind.

It was a video replay. My senior year roommate took a job in Columbus and I went to spend the weekend with him and go to the game. One of the local Columbus TV stations showed a tape delay broadcast of the game every Saturday night. It was a very OSU-centric broadcast and one I used to love to watch when I had spare time. That was truly a great day to be a Hoosier!

Reactions: 76-1

Go Hoosiers!
That's great that you have that collection, but I wondered how you would have many of those games on video. Before BTN started in 2007 a lot of the IU games were not televised. I would love to have some of the 2001 games, especially our big win up at Wisconsin, and the games I attended at MSU and at home against Northwestern.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT