ADVERTISEMENT

IU faculty vote no confidence in Whitten

MIS01

All-Big Ten
Aug 31, 2001
This was actually a couple of days ago, but I didn’t see any discussion about it here. I have some connections to the university and have yet to hear anything positive about her. In fact, I’ve heard some concerning things.

Faculty says nope

Seems like Witten is doing some great work.

Ridding IU of the abomination that is the Kinsey Institute (pedophile normalcy) is a great first step. We can't get rid of that fast enough.

The health centralization is great. IU, while not unique to IU, has used the expansion of IU Health as a money laundering outlet to funnel funds from the much large entity (health system ~$9B in revenue) to the smaller, research-focused entity (university revenue of $2.5B), at the tax payer and consumer expense. It's fraud and I can't wait until every state-run health system gets the hammer dropped. Particularly when it's to further the endeavors of people like Frances Collins and Anthony Fauci who failed out country on unprecedented levels during the pandemic.

We have to unwind this mess that the academy has become. Letting the inmates run the asylum is not a winning strategy.

Ridding IU of the abomination that is the Kinsey Institute (pedophile normalcy) is a great first step. We can't get rid of that fast enough.

The health centralization is great. IU, while not unique to IU, has used the expansion of IU Health as a money laundering outlet to funnel funds from the much large entity (health system ~$9B in revenue) to the smaller, research-focused entity (university revenue of $2.5B), at the tax payer and consumer expense. It's fraud and I can't wait until every state-run health system gets the hammer dropped. Particularly when it's to further the endeavors of people like Frances Collins and Anthony Fauci who failed out country on unprecedented levels during the pandemic.

We have to unwind this mess that the academy has become. Letting the inmates run the asylum is not a winning strategy.
ever notice when the US Govt gets involved in large private business avenues.....mortgage industry....health care industry...student loan industry.....things eventually become F'd up? I sense a pattern.

Sorry, I may have just committed the very crime I harp about...turning this into a water cooler post. If so I will delete.

We have to unwind this mess that the academy has become. Letting the inmates run the asylum is not a winning strategy
While I am no fan of IU Health, the university does not own IU Health and is not responsible for their excessive charges

ever notice when the US Govt gets involved in large private business avenues.....mortgage industry....health care industry...student loan industry.....things eventually become F'd up? I sense a pattern.

Sorry, I may have just committed the very crime I harp about...turning this into a water cooler post. If so I will delete.
The government is far less responsible for the problems in our health care industry than for-profit insurance companies are.

The government is far less responsible for the problems in our health care industry than for-profit insurance companies are.
I'm not saying they're solely to blame, but when they get involved, they do not help, they just make it worse. I do remember someone saying, promising...that signing ACA would lower the 'typical American household's" premiums by $2500/yr. Can't remember that cat's name....it's around here somewhere. Not sure about you, but still waiting for that $2500 reduction in this house.

As for student loan and mortgage industry...the moment the Fed got into the game, everything went sideways.

Last edited:
We did not see it discussed here because this is a hoops forum. The vote was by less than 30 percent of the eligible faculty members. This seems to be about politics and money. Her contract ends in 2026. With all that has been happening in Academia across the land, with university leaders being called into Congress to explain themselves and their policies, some hard decisions had to be made. Which in turn makes some people unhappy.

We did not see it discussed here because this is a hoops forum. The vote was by less than 30 percent of the eligible faculty members. This seems to be about politics and money. Her contract ends in 2026. With all that has been happening in Academia across the land, with university leaders being called into Congress to explain themselves and their policies, some hard decisions had to be made. Which in turn makes some people unhappy.
yeah this probably belongs over on the Cooler.
Only connection I see is Whitten--Buckner---Woodson and how the next 12 months play out for IU ball. Which is a bit of a stretch for appropriate subject matter on the hoops board. At least, for now.

Last edited:
I posted it here because of the number of posts claiming Whitten is one of Woodson’s supporters

Reactions: Bucket Getter
While I am no fan of IU Health, the university does not own IU Health and is not responsible for their excessive charges
Yes and no. There is overlap at the admin levels. For example McRobbie was on the board of IU health while he was President of IU. Not sure about Whitten. And why is IU's name on it if there is no connection?

Well hell, being 0 for 2 isn't the worst thing. You just have to go 1 for your next 1 and you'll have a Hall of Fame average. Too bad for you this isn't baseball.

yeah this probably belongs over on the Cooler.
Only connection I see is Whitten--Buckner---Woodson and how the next 12 months play out for IU ball. Which is a bit of a stretch for appropriate subject matter on the hoops board. At least, for now.
The Board of Trustees (and Bucker in particular) came out with a strong statement of support for Whitten.

Buckner in particular wrote:

Let me be absolutely clear: President Whitten has my full support and that of every member on the Board of Trustees. I have the privilege of working hand in hand with her and I regularly witness her deep integrity, compassion and commitment to IU's future. She is an extraordinary leader who is crucial to Indiana University’s success and will be serving as our president for years to come.

The Board of Trustees (and Bucker in particular) came out with a strong statement of support for Whitten.

Let me be absolutely clear: President Whitten has my full support and that of every member on the Board of Trustees. I have the privilege of working hand in hand with her and I regularly witness her deep integrity, compassion and commitment to IU's future. She is an extraordinary leader who is crucial to Indiana University’s success and will be serving as our president for years to come.
bookmark this in case the season goes off the rails next year and Whitten is forced to turn on CMW.

Conservative paranoia and conspiracy theories abound. What’s next, book banning at Wells Library?

Witten did not get rid of the Kinsey Institute, she recommended to the BOT that IU maintain support for the institute and the BOT approved the recommendation:

For sports at least I've been told she is very supportive. It sounded like she was instrumental in the football coach hire. I also know she has been supportive in getting more resources into the Indianapolis campus sports programs.

I'd hope the board is focused on improving academics and academic reputation but that means different things to different people.

Reactions: kmathum
This was actually a couple of days ago, but I didn’t see any discussion about it here. I have some connections to the university and have yet to hear anything positive about her. In fact, I’ve heard some concerning things.

Faculty says no

Faculty says nope
suffice it to say whatever concerning things you have heard are very likely true ... this is true ...

"Her budget centralization has significantly decreased school and departmental normal operational budgets and disincentivized faculty applications for major national grants,” the document reads. “Overall, she has contributed to destroying IU’s reputation globally and with the federal government, causing visible damage even at the level of new faculty and graduate student recruitment."

Last edited:

Damn! Buckner has discovered AI (or has a ghostwriter). There’s no way in hell he wrote that.

I'm not saying they're solely to blame, but when they get involved, they do not help, they just make it worse. I do remember someone saying, promising...that signing ACA would lower the 'typical American household's" premiums by $2500/yr. Can't remember that cat's name....it's around here somewhere. Not sure about you, but still waiting for that $2500 reduction in this house.

As for student loan and mortgage industry...the moment the Fed got into the game, everything went sideways.
...and more expensive...

suffice it to say whatever concerning things you have heard are very likely true ... this is true ...

"Her budget centralization has significantly decreased school and departmental normal operational budgets and disincentivized faculty applications for major national grants,” the document reads. “Overall, she has contributed to destroying IU’s reputation globally and with the federal government, causing visible damage even at the level of new faculty and graduate student recruitment."
that sounds like an opinion to me... particularly from an unhappy person

For sports at least I've been told she is very supportive. It sounded like she was instrumental in the football coach hire. I also know she has been supportive in getting more resources into the Indianapolis campus sports programs.

I'd hope the board is focused on improving academics and academic reputation but that means different things to different people.
Yeah. This sounds like a bad omen for IU athletics

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT