ADVERTISEMENT

IU email survey

secondasky

Junior
Sep 8, 2013
r
Received an email survey about IU football. Might be for ticket holders only. There is a section for comments about half way through the survey so be sure and tell them to put names on the uniforms.

Last edited:
r
Received an email survey about IU football. Might be for ticket holders only. There is a section for comments about half way through the survey so be sure and tell them to put names on the uniforms.

Basketball Uniforms(?),nah, most of those guys would probably prefer to stay incognito anyway this year...

Reactions: YOTHN and coachv jr
The survey is a long one, which they say will take about 15 minutes to complete. I completed all of the items. Didn't have a lot of areas that I was concerned with, but ticket price and price of concession food were two of them. I did endorse their potential approach to flexible season ticket pricing. There were no questions about putting names on uniforms, so I didn't mention that -- frankly, that's a "non-issue" for me.

Reactions: 76-1
I am glad they sent those out. At the very least the athletic department is giving out the impression they care.

The ticket pricing strategy was idiotic. When games are not selling out, you need to figure out a way to get butts in the seats instead of maximizing the proft on the few that do buy tickets.

I am glad they sent those out. At the very least the athletic department is giving out the impression they care.

The ticket pricing strategy was idiotic. When games are not selling out, you need to figure out a way to get butts in the seats instead of maximizing the proft on the few that do buy tickets.
I filled mine out over the weekend. I appreciate the effort of the athletic dept. to at least take suggestions. Like others here, I mentioned a number of issues I hope they address next season but I tried not to be petty or unrealistic. I also tried to be honest about things that I like or that haven't been issues for me.

I hope they get a lot of positive responses about the tiered pricing and ideally would like to see a follow-up with more specific questions. As a long-time season ticket holder with good seats, I would have no problem whatsoever with discounting prices in the corners and upper levels. Whatever it takes to put butts in seats is good policy.

I filled mine out over the weekend. I appreciate the effort of the athletic dept. to at least take suggestions. Like others here, I mentioned a number of issues I hope they address next season but I tried not to be petty or unrealistic. I also tried to be honest about things that I like or that haven't been issues for me.

I hope they get a lot of positive responses about the tiered pricing and ideally would like to see a follow-up with more specific questions. As a long-time season ticket holder with good seats, I would have no problem whatsoever with discounting prices in the corners and upper levels. Whatever it takes to put butts in seats is good policy.
I agree with you. I too have had season tickets for many years and would love to see them discount some of those empty seats. I became interested in IU football back in the knothole days when as a HS kid I could get an end zone ticket for less (I think it was $2.00).

That and getting students into the games and making them fans is the best way, along with winning a few games, to build future ticket holders like me.

The reality is we know what our max capacity is with the price level we have. I don't think we are sacrificing much by offering really cheap tickets to pack in the stadium. Consider it an investment in the program.

1. More people in the stands makes for a more exciting atmosphere...aka a more enjoyable product
2. More people in the stands doesn't guarantee wins but a more exciting atmosphere helps teams recruit which in turn makes the team better......more likely to win.
3. As the atmosphere sustains more excitement and the team gets better, the value of the seat will raise along side of it. Then you can raise the price and reap the benefits.
4. The numbers that are discussed in the media the most is attendance. Yes you can find ticket prices and such if you searched but most of the time they just talk about attendance. So just lower the tickets and get people in the seats.

As of right now, fans feel burnt every time they pay a premium price to only end up seeing a sub-premium product. That doesn't help with selling returning customers.

The reality is we know what our max capacity is with the price level we have. I don't think we are sacrificing much by offering really cheap tickets to pack in the stadium. Consider it an investment in the program.

1. More people in the stands makes for a more exciting atmosphere...aka a more enjoyable product
2. More people in the stands doesn't guarantee wins but a more exciting atmosphere helps teams recruit which in turn makes the team better......more likely to win.
3. As the atmosphere sustains more excitement and the team gets better, the value of the seat will raise along side of it. Then you can raise the price and reap the benefits.
4. The numbers that are discussed in the media the most is attendance. Yes you can find ticket prices and such if you searched but most of the time they just talk about attendance. So just lower the tickets and get people in the seats.

As of right now, fans feel burnt every time they pay a premium price to only end up seeing a sub-premium product. That doesn't help with selling returning customers.
I do wonder if a lower tiered ticket price will attract many fans. There just seems to be too much apathy towards IU football in this town.

I do wonder if a lower tiered ticket price will attract many fans. There just seems to be too much apathy towards IU football in this town.

Honestly, to me we are just chipping around the edges. The only advice that will really help the A.D. is to win. Figure out why that is not happening and shore up those deficiencies. Facilities keeping recruits away? Upgrade them. Coaching not up to par? Upgrade it. Athletic Department philosophy not conducive to a winning environment? Change it.

Nothing they do is going to impact butts in those seats more than winning. Placing focus on all of these other areas is a waste of time. We have been tinkering with prices and the fan experience for decades now and it has not changed a thing as far as fan behavior because the fans do not believe in the product on the field. And frankly, the program has not given them reason to. I posted it on the b-ball board, the football program is somewhere around 46-85 since Fred Glass became A.D. Most of the wins were racked up against subpar competition. People are not going to drop $10 to come and watch Indiana get pummeled by almost every major opponent that we face. When you know leaving your house that there is a greater than probably 70% chance that you are going to watch your team get beat, it is not worth the time investment. Losing is not fun, no matter how cheap it is. When I was a Freshman at IU (1997-98) they gave the tickets away to everyone who lived in the dorms and nobody went. Why? Because the outcome was basically known. As a student I got to sit in the student section and have 2 Kentucky fans rail all over about how bad our football and basketball programs are and we had no legitimate rebuttal. That is not fun.

You want to change the culture around this program you need to win. Nothing else matters. And it will need to be sustained winning. You can't drop a good season once every 5 or 6 years, you need to consistently start going to bowl games and consistently hang some surprise losses on the big boys in conference. Short of that you are just rearranging chairs on the deck of the Titanic.

Win 7 games per year mixed in with an occasional win against the upper tier teams in the East and you're suddenly on your way to greater crowds and greater overall support. I need to see an occasional win over a Michigan or a Penn State....when you play those teams fairly well on a regular basis, it's not asking too much for a victory once out of four tries, is it?? That's only 25 percent for crying out loud!

Winning 5 games and then playing and losing to your arch rival for Bucket and bowl rights just isn't going to cut the mustard. I'm a fan that will NEVER EVER accept any theory that accepts or props up Purdue football as having a higher ceiling than Indiana football. I don't buy that thinking, despite what the series record looks like.

Indiana is where it is because of the 70s/80s/90s lack of institutional commitment and investment. It's a travesty.

We did a 2 for 1 deal (so $35 a ticket) for the PU game and got a very solid crowd. Offer tickets for the upper stands at around $35 and I guarantee there will be at least a small boost in attendance.

We did a 2 for 1 deal (so $35 a ticket) for the PU game and got a very solid crowd. Offer tickets for the upper stands at around $35 and I guarantee there will be at least a small boost in attendance.
Hope you are right. Most of the people I run around with don’t have much interest at any price. Of course some winning might turn that around too.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Hope you are right. Most of the people I run around with don’t have much interest at any price. Of course some winning might turn that around too.
I agree that winning is the most significant thing to improving attendance but I don't thing other things (tiered pricing, promotions, game-day experience improvements) are a waste of time. It might not create a significant boost in season ticket sales, but I think those things would help with single-game attendance. Promoting individual game deals on social media, billboards, and tv/radio ads could help convince people with a free Saturday to spend it in Memorial Stadium. If they have fun, they might come back. I have a couple of co-workers who started coming to a couple of games each year after using my tickets for games I couldn't attend.

I especially like the idea of offering young alumni discounted tickets (and even those who graduated some years ago who aren't currently season ticket holders). Those folks have sentimental ties to B'town and might be looking for a reason to return to campus. They also tend to have young kids who will someday be potential IU students. We need to work hard to make a fun, affordable, engaging experience. I would also make determined efforts to engage students at the regional campuses. Those places don't have their own football and their graduates are going to have IU degrees. I think a special day with chartered buses, and a catered tailgate experience at the stadium could be a gold mine. Maybe link the campus to a game vs. a geographically significant opponent ( IU East w OSU; IUSB w UM or MSU; IUSE w UL; etc).

For a lot of folks, if we can get them into the stadium occassionally - or even once - and put on a good performance on the field, they might be inclined to come back often.

I agree that winning is the most significant thing to improving attendance but I don't thing other things (tiered pricing, promotions, game-day experience improvements) are a waste of time. It might not create a significant boost in season ticket sales, but I think those things would help with single-game attendance. Promoting individual game deals on social media, billboards, and tv/radio ads could help convince people with a free Saturday to spend it in Memorial Stadium. If they have fun, they might come back. I have a couple of co-workers who started coming to a couple of games each year after using my tickets for games I couldn't attend.

I especially like the idea of offering young alumni discounted tickets (and even those who graduated some years ago who aren't currently season ticket holders). Those folks have sentimental ties to B'town and might be looking for a reason to return to campus. They also tend to have young kids who will someday be potential IU students. We need to work hard to make a fun, affordable, engaging experience. I would also make determined efforts to engage students at the regional campuses. Those places don't have their own football and their graduates are going to have IU degrees. I think a special day with chartered buses, and a catered tailgate experience at the stadium could be a gold mine. Maybe link the campus to a game vs. a geographically significant opponent ( IU East w OSU; IUSB w UM or MSU; IUSE w UL; etc).

For a lot of folks, if we can get them into the stadium occassionally - or even once - and put on a good performance on the field, they might be inclined to come back often.
We do offer young alumni cheaper tickets. Same price as students.

Most of my answers were pretty simple I.e.

“What would improve the game day experience?” Win.

“What would increase the likelihood of you buying season tix?” Win.

Etc. Etc,

Reactions: Hoosier009
companies often do consumer/customer surveys just as a PR thing, and then go ahead and do whatever they were going to do before the survey.

gives customers the false impression that their opinions matter, and let's the company/organization say they did a survey, and thus infer that whatever they are rolling out or changing had some basis in that survey.

not saying this is the case here, but i know for fact that it happens.

Most of my answers were pretty simple I.e.

“What would improve the game day experience?” Win.

“What would increase the likelihood of you buying season tix?” Win.

Etc. Etc,

th

thank you capt. bwg

r
Yes please on NAMES ON JERSEYS! Thx for bringing that up!

People are not going to drop $10 to come and watch Indiana get pummeled by almost every major opponent that we face. When you know leaving your house that there is a greater than probably 70% chance that you are going to watch your team get beat, it is not worth the time investment.

sorry, but that's just not true.

close to thirty thousand show up at 4 to 7 times that for every game.

there are plenty of people who would also like to attend, but just can't afford it.

how much you want to discount, depends on how many people you want.

Billy Idol might sell 2,000 tickets at Conseco at $50 a pop.

8,000 at $20 a pop.

set up a free stage on the circle, and you'll get 50,000 plus.

decide how full you want the stadium, and work backwards from there with price.

offering some $35 tics might bring in an extra 500 plus fans, depending on the opponent and weather.

$20 tics, a few to several thousand more.

$10 for adults and free for kids accompanied by them, and you'll see a noticeable difference.

discounting won't help that much if done for 1 or 2 games a yr.

have a regular roped off general admission area with $10 - $20 adult tics, and $1 knothole for kids, and while not over 1 game, or even 1 season, over time, you'll build a whole nother fan base of regulars who don't go at all now.

IU no doubt fears cannibalizing some high priced ticket sales, but no reserved seat, less desired sections, no points, and i don't think you would cannibalize that many of the regulars. (though obviously some).

and again, to really grow a new base it can't be a once in a while thing, but needs to be a regular thing.

in addition, give IU students fee admission and free come and go.

if IU sells approx 11,000 IU student section seats a game at $10 a pop now, that's, maybe $600,000 - $700,000 a yr.

that amount isn't squat to IU, and you could recoup some with sponsorships, and the enhanced student experience should help bring students to IU to cover the rest. (a cheap marketing campaign for IU).

that said, a problem IU has is that both endzones, (which would otherwise be natural GA discounted areas), have gated communities that aren't designed to increase attendance.

so where and how much to cordon off for general admission, is dicier.

i personally, think i could fill the stadium most every game, other than bad weather games.

as to how much discounting that would take with current level winning percentages, one would need to start at really cheap discounted tics, ($5-10 adults, free for kids), and work backwards from there to see how much higher you could go without a drop off in attendance.

and like i said, even at really cheap, you'd need to do it over time, not once in a while, but doing it over time you would build a new base on top of the current one, and could probably eventually work the new base up to $15-$20 adult, $2 kids.

remember, you're also getting parking and concessions at the same rate as the current base.

when winning alleviates the need to discount, you can address that at the time.

as to how hard IU needs to or will work or sacrifice to increase attendance, depends on how much they want to increase it. which depends on do they look at it as an investment in winning and building a larger base, or just an expense.

i'm guessing IU preaches sacrifice for future gains all day every day, to athletes and students.

do they walk the walk themselves?

so far, the answer has been no.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
r
I took it as what would be the reaction to ticket
price increase, and no pass outs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT