ADVERTISEMENT

IU buying out next year's Louisville game

As we’ve seen, however, bowl eligibility hasn’t ever led us to building a sustainably successful program. This is a shortcut with perceived but generally unrealized benefits, and it’s never been a substitute for the fundamentals of actually creating a winning football program.
I'd argue we've seen success with that recipe, but then tried to 'level up' too quickly by taking on the Cincinnatis, Navys, Wake Forests, Oregons, Missouris.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I'd argue we've seen success with that recipe, but then tried to 'level up' too quickly by taking on the Cincinnatis, Navys, Wake Forests, Oregons, Missouris.
I guess success is in the eye of the beholder. It didn’t work for any of Allen’s predecessors dating back to the days of Lee Corso, and it’s not working so far for TA’s program.

Reactions: secondasky
What's the tough message, exactly?

"I know, I know, you play Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Oregon, Penn State, Iowa, Wisconsin, Washington, UCLA and your rival Purdue but I hope you're sitting down......we're cancelling a road game vs. a below average P5 school and scheduling a home game for you instead."

I imagine they will just be completely torn up. Better bring in some therapists.
Wow

I've
As we’ve seen, however, bowl eligibility hasn’t ever led us to building a sustainably successful program. This is a shortcut with perceived but generally unrealized benefits, and it’s never been a substitute for the fundamentals of actually creating a winning football program.
It actually did lead to some stability. Those cupcakes led to us being ranked in the top 10. ha It was the moment we upgraded opponents that we fell off. Your argument is completely backwards.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Kentucky as a home and home Labor Day tradition.
Rotating OH or IN MAC 2 for 1
WVU, Tenn, Pitt, Miss, Vandy or the like home and home (drivable P5)

ha That is a recipe for going back to the mid-2000's IU where we literally couldn't even fill out allotted scholarships with MAC level players. No thank you. We have a top 10 schedule every year with 3 cupcakes. There is no trophy for having the hardest schedule and there is no enjoyment in watching our program get crushed every game including the non-conference.

ha That is a recipe for going back to the mid-2000's IU where we literally couldn't even fill out allotted scholarships with MAC level players. No thank you. We have a top 10 schedule every year with 3 cupcakes. There is no trophy for having the hardest schedule and there is no enjoyment in watching our program get crushed every game including the non-conference.
Maybe to you.

The players want to play my schedule.

Fans....they're split. Most fans (I know) that pony up $6k plus VC donations, and buy pricey season tickets, prefer we bring in legit pre-season opponents, and set up a legit, drivable September game to a cool locale.

That guaranteed "Top 10 schedule" will be a thing of the past soon, with the new schedule diversification.

Bring back the Barrel, and rotating weekend trips to Oxford (both of em).

Maybe to you.

The players want to play my schedule.

Fans....they're split. Most fans (I know) that pony up $6k plus VC donations, and buy pricey season tickets, prefer we bring in legit pre-season opponents, and set up a legit, drivable September game to a cool locale.

That guaranteed "Top 10 schedule" will be a thing of the past soon, with the new schedule diversification.

Bring back the Barrel, and rotating weekend trips to Oxford (both of em).
Most fans likely disagree with you. Because the worse IU gets, the worse the attendance seems to get. So if the idea is to make a team that is enticing the fans, look no further than the quote from the movie, Field of Dreams. "If you build it, they will come." Ok, i know the quote is truly "he will come" but the point remains. When we were playing cupcakes and winning routinely, the stadium was filling out because IU, at least optically, was looking like a good football team.

So most would pass on your logic, bring on the cupcakes!

IUFB needs to create wins even through scheduling by hook and almost crook. Bowls undeniably shine additional light on a program. We are now past the days of not filling available scholarships and building rosters by getting a large abundance of 2☆ commits. Progress has been made. Next hill is steeper and it's flawed thinking to add more weight to the climb. Fighting bigger beasts in non-conf is more weight.

Most fans likely disagree with you. Because the worse IU gets, the worse the attendance seems to get. So if the idea is to make a team that is enticing the fans, look no further than the quote from the movie, Field of Dreams. "If you build it, they will come." Ok, i know the quote is truly "he will come" but the point remains. When we were playing cupcakes and winning routinely, the stadium was filling out because IU, at least optically, was looking like a good football team.

So most would pass on your logic, bring on the cupcakes!

Just don't see that as true. No one shows up for the cupcakes...and players don't want to play them.

Cincy in 2021 was what we should be doing. Packed stadium. Great atmosphere. Dropped the ball on a game we should have won, but that's the type of game fans want to see.

Kentucky(H&H), then Athens(OH) H&H, then Athens(GA) H&H. :D 👍

Good move. Schedule an FCS team and take the W.
Overall, think this a good strategic move. If Georgia & Alabama can schedule 3 easy teams we can too. No reason to play a tougher schedule than necessary until teams are given some kind of post-season credit for strength of schedule. However, with this change would like to see game 2 of season be a contest against a B1G rival to assess what we need to work on in the remaining 2 out of conference games.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
Bowls undeniably shine additional light on a program.

I hear this. And yes, we've gone to every IU bowl since 2000....and they've been pretty fun (Tampa and SF were kinda lame). Gator and Tempe were a blast.

That said, you offer me:

1) 6-6 and a potential trip to the Fenway Bowl, OR

2) a Bourbon Barrel home game, a trip to Oxford OH, and the Vols coming in for a 2 for 1 series...

Just me, but I take #2. Players would too. They'd be convinced they could play #2, and still make a bowl (which they can). Beating Kentucky or Tennessee in September means a lot more, especially as the playoffs expand, and these bowls become lamer and lamer ESPN TV time fillers.

I've

It actually did lead to some stability. Those cupcakes led to us being ranked in the top 10. ha It was the moment we upgraded opponents that we fell off. Your argument is completely backwards.
Some stability isn’t the same as building a sustainable program, and the top 10 ranking was a mirage based on a unique, non-repeating scenario that has been explained. My argument that leadership is the only thing that matters is spot on, and scheduling, while a short term benefit, doesn’t create a sustainably good program (and never will).

I hear this. And yes, we've gone to every IU bowl since 2000....and they've been pretty fun (Tampa and SF were kinda lame). Gator and Tempe were a blast.

That said, you offer me:

2) a Bourbon Barrel home game, a trip to Oxford OH, and the Vols coming in for a 2 for 1 series...

Just me, but I take #2. Players would too. They'd be convinced they could play #2, and still make a bowl (which they can). Beating Kentucky or Tennessee in September means a lot more, especially as the playoffs expand, and these bowls become lamer and lamer ESPN TV time fillers.
I agree that #2 would be preferable if I was comfortable that IU would make a bowl more often than not, but I'm not.

But let's say IU goes 4-5 in the B1G (historically on the high side for us) and 1-2 with a tougher non-con. Even with one of our better seasons we'd miss out on a bowl because of the non-con. A 3-0 non-con would end up at 7-5 and a decent bowl.

I think 2019 is a good example of that. Ball St., Eastern IL, & UCONN plus a favorable B1G slate ended up at a very winnable Gator Bowl. It was overall great for the program. And it wasn't TOO bad of punching down in the non-con.

When IU scheduled UL they were clearly thinking they were going to be trending up to the tier where they could schedule harder & still get good results. Similarly, they must have been thinking they'd be approaching elite by the end of the decade with the ND home & home. Better start making moves on that quick.

Reactions: nichlee
Just don't see that as true. No one shows up for the cupcakes...and players don't want to play them.

Cincy in 2021 was what we should be doing. Packed stadium. Great atmosphere. Dropped the ball on a game we should have won, but that's the type of game fans want to see.

Well, besides me disagreeing with your philosophy overall, you've got a huge issue with your H&H idea. we should no longer ever be doing a 1:1 with a MAC school. Probably not even a 2:1.

That said, you offer me:

You're smoking some interesting stuff

I agree that #2 would be preferable if I was comfortable that IU would make a bowl more often than not, but I'm not.

But let's say IU goes 4-5 in the B1G (historically on the high side for us) and 1-2 with a tougher non-con. Even with one of our better seasons we'd miss out on a bowl because of the non-con. A 3-0 non-con would end up at 7-5 and a decent bowl.

I think 2019 is a good example of that. Ball St., Eastern IL, & UCONN plus a favorable B1G slate ended up at a very winnable Gator Bowl. It was overall great for the program. And it wasn't TOO bad of punching down in the non-con.

When IU scheduled UL they were clearly thinking they were going to be trending up to the tier where they could schedule harder & still get good results. Similarly, they must have been thinking they'd be approaching elite by the end of the decade with the ND home & home. Better start making moves on that quick.
Maybe there is a disconnect but your example in 2019 is exactly the cupcake pre-conference schedule we are requesting. Power 5 schools on the schedule is what we were looking to remove. UConn had 4 total wins from 2018-2022. MAC level schools down to FCS are the cupcakes we're asking for. If we can't beat a MAC school, I don't want people in the stands seeing that team anyways!

If the teams at the top have cupcake schedules, and all of their conference schedules are easier than IU plus I've never heard a Michigan or Ohio State player have concerns with their schedules, then why is that a concern at lowly IU? The end result for those teams is a trip to the CFP, but we aren't satisfied unless we roll out the hardest schedule in the country? I refuse to play make believe that our schedule would be lacking for our fans with 3 cupcakes when we'll have a top S.O.S. in the country with those cupcakes.

Maybe there is a disconnect but your example in 2019 is exactly the cupcake pre-conference schedule we are requesting. Power 5 schools on the schedule is what we were looking to remove. UConn had 4 total wins from 2018-2022. MAC level schools down to FCS are the cupcakes we're asking for. If we can't beat a MAC school, I don't want people in the stands seeing that team anyways!

If the teams at the top have cupcake schedules, and all of their conference schedules are easier than IU plus I've never heard a Michigan or Ohio State player have concerns with their schedules, then why is that a concern at lowly IU? The end result for those teams is a trip to the CFP, but we aren't satisfied unless we roll out the hardest schedule in the country? I refuse to play make believe that our schedule would be lacking for our fans with 3 cupcakes when we'll have a top S.O.S. in the country with those cupcakes.
I may not have been clear. I'm with you.

I think 2019 was the perfect OOC schedule for IU at that point. 2 absolute wins & 1 MAC team. That's the 1st tier for me.

The 2nd tier is 1 FCS, 1 MAC, & 1 FBS challenge (Wake Forest & UVA several years back and UL would be that). I'd like to see that schedule if IU is consistently winning 4 or 5 in conference (which would be a huge improvement).

The 3rd tier is 1 FCS/MAC, 1 FBS middling program, and 1 marquee game. That's what you see with the big boys, but it also comes with the expectation that they're going to win at least 9 games/season. We're so completely not there yet.

What good is our win over Indiana State if we can't beat Louisville? What good is our win over Akron if we can't beat Purdue? What's the point?
What good is it if we beat PU but lose to Louisville? I'd rather the last game mean something than a participation trophy. This isn't basketball. IU is not normally (if ever) competing to get into the playoffs. We're looking for a bowl. Good out-of-conference wins mean very little. If you beat 3 crappier teams before the BIG, you have a much better shot at going to a bowl than if you enter 2-1, 1-2 or 0-3. Let's be real here. IU Shouldn't be playing any teams better than middle of the rode Mac (or better than IU historically or on paper). Once you start winning (going to bowls) year in year out, go for it. But that has happened at IU for the most part. Maybe a a good 5-6 years during Mallory, but that's really it in the history of the program. IU plays a top 20 schedule almost every year. Why make it even more difficult?

Last edited:

That said, you offer me:

Perfect. When IUFB has made several bowls in a row and is viably up to the challenge .

That is funny. If you are going to schedule based on attendance. You would have to schedule NFL teams and I am still not sure that would work

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13

That said, you offer me:

Alumni like bowls

Bowls are fun.

Let's get to a bowl

Good. Stop scheduling stupid shit like this series and the Cincinnati series.

Take a page out of Michigan's playbook on non-conference scheduling from now on.
IU isn't Michigan
13th-If you (and the likes you got) took the time to review the conversation you would see that I was referring to the above comment about Michigan which suggested we go with their non-con schedule.

Reactions: vesuvius13
This is rinky dink. Does it really matter if we win two games or three in the non-conference if we're incapable of winning three in the conference? Why schedule cupcakes to HOPEFULLY get to play an interesting exhibition contest on a sterile, neutral field when you could guarantee an interesting ACTUAL contest on a vibrant college campus?

Think how many awesome games we could see and places we could play. We're either going to be good or we won't. What is our goal if bowl games die? Mine is to watch Indiana in every power four/five stadium. I am so grateful to have seen us play at Oregon, Missouri, Kentucky, Navy, Virginia (twice) and Wake...I'm super disappointed to have missed Utah, Washington, NC State, and UNC by a couple of years. If we're going to lose, play fun teams!

Furthermore, to suck off Louisville the week we are playing them is the ultimate cucked move. Only at Indiana would we claim our inferiority to the team we are playing that week. You literally can't make this up.
Yes.......it's a chickenshit move by a chickenshit program.

There isn't a chance in hell a school like Tennessee or Georgia is going to agree to a H&H with Indiana. They stand absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose. Plus it's one less home game a year for them. There is zero incentive for an SEC school to play on the road in the non-conference.

Not so sure. If we lost this weekend it would be very difficult to say the cancellation wasn't because we were scared.
BUT. If we win this weekend our whole outlook changes. We may decide not to cancel the series. AND we save a million dollars which we can put into the Tom allen buyout savings account, (just in case). And by the way, where is this million coming from?

There isn't a chance in hell a school like Tennessee or Georgia is going to agree to a H&H with Indiana. They stand absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose. Plus it's one less home game a year for them. There is zero incentive for an SEC school to play on the road in the non-conference.
And why the hell would we schedule Tennessee or Georgia? Are you out of your mind? Let's beat them in a bowl game.

I’m neither surprised nor particularly bothered that IU dropped the game. But if it were up to me I would’ve kept the game on the schedule and then used the buyout $$ to stabilize/upgrade Allen’s staff in the offseason.

With the wrong coaching, IMO scheduling doesn’t really help. With the right coaching, IMO scheduling doesn’t really matter.

Coaching > scheduling

Coaching > bowl bids

Coaching > attendance

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT