ADVERTISEMENT

IU athletic department had the largest profit in the country in 2022

The arguments you make are compelling, you're right it's definitely not as simple as Dolson having an extra $30 million to put into any sport he wants, and we've still yet to see where all this money ends up. I stand by the principle of what I wrote which is that this USA Today report only furthers my question marks around the athletic department's commitment to football, but it is hard to judge fully without letting time pass a little and gaining more context as to where that money is intended to go.

The smug arrogance from the people on this thread who agree with you adds essentially no value other than showing some people feel an innate sense of superiority because they're willing to $10 a month for a few extra articles, which is pretty laughable to say the least.
The devil is always in the details and the four column listing provided by USA Today is hardly detailed enough to draw the conclusion some have that we are both flush with cash and operating at high margins. Even a cursory glance at the information leads one to that conclusion.

Reactions: jsenleo
If we had $34 million sitting around, how the hell did we lose the women's basketball number one assistant for what surely couldn't have been more than a couple hundred thousand? That guy was instrumental to the turnaround. I understand the lure of being a head coach, but an offer you can't refuse is an offer you can't refuse.

If we had $34 million sitting around, how the hell did we lose the women's basketball number one assistant for what surely couldn't have been more than a couple hundred thousand? That guy was instrumental to the turnaround. I understand the lure of being a head coach, but an offer you can't refuse is an offer you can't refuse.
The offer that could not be refused was Head Coach.

WE DON’T have $34 million sitting around. JFC

We don’t have that kind of money sitting around. The IUF has been a great financial helper for the IUAD for decades. Bill made sure of that.

If we had $34 million sitting around, how the hell did we lose the women's basketball number one assistant for what surely couldn't have been more than a couple hundred thousand?

The offer that could not be refused was Head Coach.

The Miami job opened unexpectedly. I don't think Box was looking to leave, but when the offer came out of the blue he couldn't pass it up. At some point you have to take your shot. I hope he drains it.

The Miami job opened unexpectedly. I don't think Box was looking to leave, but when the offer came out of the blue he couldn't pass it up. At some point you have to take your shot. I hope he drains it.
Do you know what happened with Curt Miller? He did a pretty good job here before abruptly resigning and eventually winning a WNBA title.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I thought there were some rumors that he was "romantically" involved with one of the players or a cheerleader.

Shame on me for spreading a rumor but that's what I recall.
He was alleged to have committed sexual harassment against an assistant coach. If CM was romantically involved with a player, it wouldn’t have been a women’s BB player ;)

I thought there were some rumors that he was "romantically" involved with one of the players or a cheerleader.

Shame on me for spreading a rumor but that's what I recall.
Miller is gay but sexual harassment can take a lot of forms.

Whatever it was there seem to not be any issues with his jobs since

OK. I stand corrected. Perhaps I heard "sexual harassment" and conflated it into "sexual relationship". It really didn't matter to me so I prpbably mis-remembered it.

$34 million in profit this year and our football team still doesn't have it's own weight room. Whatever your opinion of Tom Allen, it's inarguable that he's not given adequate resources to be competitive in the B1G. Seeing this chart just disgusts me because we all know the clowns in the athletic office are going to continue misallocating resources and then shrug off our football team getting run out of it's own stadium next year, just so long as the basketball program is doing alright, then who cares about FB.
If you do a little research you will find that this number was grossly inaccurate. An individual weight room has nothing to do with the recent failings of IU football. Making and retaining bad hires sure have. Nick Sheridan and Darren Hiller specifically. Both were made because of "friendship" and not what was best for the IUFB program. imo.

If you do a little research you will find that this number was grossly inaccurate. An individual weight room has nothing to do with the recent failings of IU football. Making and retaining bad hires sure have. Nick Sheridan and Darren Hiller specifically. Both were made because of "friendship" and not what was best for the IUFB program. imo.
Not the last HCing lesson Coach Allen will learn but will be the biggest. + I very much like and am enthused he has also given up running the D, in practice, Summer-Fall camps and games. Delegating allows more time to oversee assistants responsibilities progress/process and make sure pertinent details are actively being tended to. IUFB in '23' looks to have a little better talent, more experience, slightly less formidable schedule, a more + staff and with a more focused manager could be enough bump the program to bowl eligibility again. $.05 worth.

Not the last HCing lesson Coach Allen will learn but will be the biggest. + I very much like and am enthused he has also given up running the D, in practice, Summer-Fall camps and games. Delegating allows more time to oversee assistants responsibilities progress/process and make sure pertinent details are actively being tended to. IUFB in '23' looks to have a little better talent, more experience, slightly less formidable schedule, a more + staff and with a more focused manager could be enough bump the program to bowl eligibility again. $.05 worth.
If our OC and DC is up to the job then coach Allen moving up to be HC again is a very good for the team. When he had DeBoer and Wommack to take over the coordinators job, IU had their best seasons in decades. I hope we see the same results this year.

And yet you ask Dolson about football facility improvements and he'll tell you the school's funds are "already spent". One day the Big Ten is going to look at how this university treats football and kick us out in one of these rounds of realignment, and then IU will regret having its priorities in the wrong place once it is too late.

I’ve said this previously and people here say “never will happen.”

Well….I never thought I’d see the day that USC and UCLA would be in the Big Ten or incoming freshman who haven’t played a down of football in college getting ludicrous NIL deals of $1 mil.

Throw out any of the old guidelines and structure you “think” will never die off. Anything goes……and the basketball program isn’t going to be able to be the saving grace at the 11th hour.

Well….I never thought I’d see the day that USC and UCLA would be in the Big Ten or incoming freshman who haven’t played a down of football in college getting ludicrous NIL deals of $1 mil.

Throw out any of the old guidelines and structure you “think” will never die off. Anything goes……and the basketball program isn’t going to be able to be the saving grace at the 11th hour.
Lol

good point that nothing is sacred anymore, and only one thing matters.

that said, while fball is still the bigger earner, everyone discounts bball money more than they should.

OSU - $85,000,000 more revenues than IU
Michigan- $44,000,000 more
PSU - $15,000,000 more
MSU - $6,000,000

All in the Big Ten East
All with more revenue that IU
All willing to spend more on football than basketball

I can’t wait for divisions to end.

I have not lost faith in Allen - but his hires MUST produce more like DeBoer and Wommack quick.

IU needs to value its fans better, to get that donation money up.
I hate the divisions too. But IU was 13th in revenue. Maryland and almost Rutgers made bowl games last year. Revenue is not the issue. I’ve lost faith in Allen. Great guy but not the right guy. We will see about Dolson but I’m not feeling optimistic.

Reactions: indy1203
good point that nothing is sacred anymore, and only one thing matters.

that said, while fball is still the bigger earner, everyone discounts bball money more than they should.

IU brought in $25.95 mil in basketball revenue last year. We trailed MSU at $26.27 mil and we were essentially even with Illinois in basketball revenue. Many of the other teams in the conference were within a couple million of each other in basketball revenue.
The bball revenue is important, but it doesn’t create the disparity that football programs do when looking at the school’s overall financial intake. The giant athletic departments are all created by football. It’s why Texas and Texas A&M are at the top nationally every year.

IU brought in $25.95 mil in basketball revenue last year. We trailed MSU at $26.27 mil and we were essentially even with Illinois in basketball revenue. Many of the other teams in the conference were within a couple million of each other in basketball revenue.
The bball revenue is important, but it doesn’t create the disparity that football programs do when looking at the school’s overall financial intake. The giant athletic departments are all created by football. It’s why Texas and Texas A&M are at the top nationally every year.
BB will do nothing but grow.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT