ADVERTISEMENT

IU athletic department had the largest profit in the country in 2022

jlasson

Freshman
Jun 24, 2021

$34 million in profit this year and our football team still doesn't have it's own weight room. Whatever your opinion of Tom Allen, it's inarguable that he's not given adequate resources to be competitive in the B1G. Seeing this chart just disgusts me because we all know the clowns in the athletic office are going to continue misallocating resources and then shrug off our football team getting run out of it's own stadium next year, just so long as the basketball program is doing alright, then who cares about FB.

$34 million in profit this year and our football team still doesn't have it's own weight room. Whatever your opinion of Tom Allen, it's inarguable that he's not given adequate resources to be competitive in the B1G. Seeing this chart just disgusts me because we all know the clowns in the athletic office are going to continue misallocating resources and then shrug off our football team getting run out of it's own stadium next year, just so long as the basketball program is doing alright, then who cares about FB.
Wow that is an interesting list thanks for posting - I read this and thought "damn we have enough money to buy out Allen's contract" :)

With the recent success of the women’s basketball program I’m sure they will get facility upgrades before the football team gets their own weight room.
But we still have the tallest (I think) flagpole in the country in MS which is a huge plus when it comes to recruiting.

Also want to leave this interview here because it shows just how out of touch Indiana University Media is with what's needed to field a competitive football team.

Ex IU O-lineman Dylan Powell, at the very end of the interview Powell talks about how much of a red flag it is that Tom Allen has to pay out of his own pocket to get rid of failed assistants and Jim Coyle basically dismisses him, saying "well if they're his assistants then I think he has to bite the bullet on that when it doesn't go right...other schools are doing it though, they've got money to burn"

Well @Jim Coyle clearly the IU athletic department has plenty of "money to burn" they just choose to not burn it on football, and you fail to hold them accountable because like everyone else in and around IU athletics, you and your IU basketball is all that matters, football can be a perpetual dumpster fire mindset are part of the problem.

Wow that is an interesting list thanks for posting - I read this and thought "damn we have enough money to buy out Allen's contract" :)
They have plenty of money for that,they just choose to spend it elsewhere.

They have plenty of money for that,they just choose to spend it elsewhere.
As much as I've lost faith in Allen, does anyone really trust Dol(t)son to find a suitable head football coach and give him the support he needs to be successful in the B1G. He wouldn't know a good head football coach if the next Nick Saban walked into his office tomorrow.

Also want to leave this interview here because it shows just how out of touch Indiana University Media is with what's needed to field a competitive football team.

Ex IU O-lineman Dylan Powell, at the very end of the interview Powell talks about how much of a red flag it is that Tom Allen has to pay out of his own pocket to get rid of failed assistants and Jim Coyle basically dismisses him, saying "well if they're his assistants then I think he has to bite the bullet on that when it doesn't go right...other schools are doing it though, they've got money to burn"

Well @Jim Coyle clearly the IU athletic department has plenty of "money to burn" they just choose to not burn it on football, and you fail to hold them accountable because like everyone else in and around IU athletics, you and your IU basketball is all that matters, football can be a perpetual dumpster fire mindset are part of the problem.
Your last paragraph sums up the whole situation,to the administration football is just a filler til basketball season starts.
Some of us care more about football than basketball but the squeaky wheel gets the oil

I deem a new indoor practice facility a more urgent need. The weight room sq. ' is 25k. Sufficient size for all with some management and scheduling. I doubt 4-5* FB talent is turning away from IU specifically over weight room concerns. The $34m figure in black is impressive compliment to the management. But speaking out the other side of my mouth a 2nd S&C space under the same roof of a massive new indoor practice area would be looked as elite.

Tom Allen makes enough money to pay for his own mistakes.
This mindset is exactly why Indiana is the losingest football program in NCAA history, you wouldn't say this about Woodson if he wanted to make changes to his assistants, but because it's football no one cares. A serious football program would never force the HC to pay the buyout of a failed assistant out of their own pockets, that's lunacy and shows the athletic department has bred fans to have no standards when it comes to on field success in FB.

I deem a new indoor practice facility a more urgent need. The weight room sq. ' is 25k. Sufficient size for all with some management and scheduling. I doubt 4-5* FB talent is turning away from IU specifically over weight room concerns. The $34m figure in black is impressive compliment to the management. But speaking out the other side of my mouth a 2nd S&C space under the same roof of a massive new indoor practice area would be looked as elite.
I agree but my point with the weight room is it just shows the obvious lack of commitment to FB compared to other sports on campus. You should watch the full interview I shared in my second post because that's where I got the weight room comment from. Powell goes into greater detail on the weight room and other things that IUFB is behind on from an organization. It's a scathingly honest review of a football program that's way behind it's peers according to it's own players.

Check out the “contributions” line item, which isn’t specified yet accounts for our dramatic ascension in both revenue and margin. Would be interesting to know what factors into that number. Of note, ticket revenues aren’t where they need to be / should be.

The 5th -9th place basketball program gets an overwhelming response in support from the administration.
Most of the conference “football schools” get better results from bball. The one thing we focus on and we still cannot get it right.

I think football, however, has made people look at it as a bunch of smoke and mirrors. You can spin things anyway you want, but it’s largely been mismanaged during Allen’s time here.

...have seen this stated before but never have seen it substantiated anywhere...

Reactions: vesuvius13
I agree but my point with the weight room is it just shows the obvious lack of commitment to FB compared to other sports on campus. You should watch the full interview I shared in my second post because that's where I got the weight room comment from. Powell goes into greater detail on the weight room and other things that IUFB is behind on from an organization. It's a scathingly honest review of a football program that's way behind it's peers according to it's own players.
Powell no doubt is a smart kid. So with all the GLARING deficiencies in the IUFB program why did he choose such a poorly positioned outfit. Something doesn't fit.

Reactions: DANC

I get the gut reaction but I suspect it's not quite that simple. IU's biggest revenue jump from previous years and positive outlier is from contributions, up from 20-28M annually the 5 years prior to $61M in 2022. I assume it's an outlier and not a new yearly expectation from the department. Would love to be wrong. Contributions also come with strings. It's not clear how much of that $61M in contributions is actually available for football expenditures. Even for the dollars that are available for football, most probably have further strings attached (restricted to scholarships, renovations, future plans, etc.) Subtract $40M annually from total revenue and you get a number more reflective of where our budget and revenue have been over prior years.

I'm actually surprised at our ticket sales revenue compared to other places. The schools above IU on the list have significantly more ticket sales revenue, but there are plenty below IU that are surprising. Florida State, for example, only shows $18M in ticket sales compared to IU's $21M. Utah is at 15M in ticket sales rev, VTech at $21M.

And yet you ask Dolson about football facility improvements and he'll tell you the school's funds are "already spent". One day the Big Ten is going to look at how this university treats football and kick us out in one of these rounds of realignment, and then IU will regret having its priorities in the wrong place once it is too late.

Reactions: td75 and It Will Do
The 5th -9th place basketball program gets an overwhelming response in support from the administration.
Most of the conference “football schools” get better results from bball. The one thing we focus on and we still cannot get it right.

I think football, however, has made people look at it as a bunch of smoke and mirrors. You can spin things anyway you want, but it’s largely been mismanaged during Allen’s time here.
I suggest you "focus" just a bit on what is happening with the hoops program at the moment. You might be surprised if you are objective about it.

Doesn't chamge your correct point that hoops gets what it needs post haste.

With the recent success of the women’s basketball program I’m sure they will get facility upgrades before the football team gets their own weight room.
But we still have the tallest (I think) flagpole in the country in MS which is a huge plus when it comes to recruiting.
Run it up the flagpole and see who salutes it. jk

• Haha
Reactions: CC Mac
Yeah, when glancing at those numbers, you have to question Dolson's overall attitude towards football. I never Iiked the Dolson hire and he's done absolutely zilch to change my mind.

Going back to making TA buy out Nick Sheridan's contract, you really come to the conclusion that he is an asshole who crapped on football in that particular situation. It's crystal clear he had major, major funds at his disposal to buy out Sheridan.

Dolson should've never been hired for the AD job. In today's collegiate athletic landscape, any prospective AD, must be a football minded person first...it's called good business.

Reactions: midwolfe and CC Mac
Powell no doubt is a smart kid. So with all the GLARING deficiencies in the IUFB program why did he choose such a poorly positioned outfit. Something doesn't fit.
It was a good team when he was here. Tuttle was a good QB especially against Wisconsin. His issues came from Sheridan that wasn't a good OC or QB coach despite being recommended by DeBoer. Sheridan ran DeBoard's offense and not the DeBoer offense coach Allen expected.

And yet you ask Dolson about football facility improvements and he'll tell you the school's funds are "already spent". One day the Big Ten is going to look at how this university treats football and kick us out in one of these rounds of realignment, and then IU will regret having its priorities in the wrong place once it is too late.
We do these things with seed / naming gifts and campaigns. It’s been that way for years, which is why nothing has been announced as yet. But it’s obviously badly needed.

You’ve sure taken a strong position on very little details

OSU - $85,000,000 more revenues than IU
Michigan- $44,000,000 more
PSU - $15,000,000 more
MSU - $6,000,000

All in the Big Ten East
All with more revenue that IU
All willing to spend more on football than basketball

I can’t wait for divisions to end.

I have not lost faith in Allen - but his hires MUST produce more like DeBoer and Wommack quick.

IU needs to value its fans better, to get that donation money up.

Incompetence abounds within the IU athletic department and administration.... It has for several decades. Big changes are needed to correct it. ... and, I'm not holding by breath.

I get the gut reaction but I suspect it's not quite that simple. IU's biggest revenue jump from previous years and positive outlier is from contributions, up from 20-28M annually the 5 years prior to $61M in 2022. I assume it's an outlier and not a new yearly expectation from the department. Would love to be wrong. Contributions also come with strings. It's not clear how much of that $61M in contributions is actually available for football expenditures. Even for the dollars that are available for football, most probably have further strings attached (restricted to scholarships, renovations, future plans, etc.) Subtract $40M annually from total revenue and you get a number more reflective of where our budget and revenue have been over prior years.

I'm actually surprised at our ticket sales revenue compared to other places. The schools above IU on the list have significantly more ticket sales revenue, but there are plenty below IU that are surprising. Florida State, for example, only shows $18M in ticket sales compared to IU's $21M. Utah is at 15M in ticket sales rev, VTech at $21M.
The arguments you make are compelling, you're right it's definitely not as simple as Dolson having an extra $30 million to put into any sport he wants, and we've still yet to see where all this money ends up. I stand by the principle of what I wrote which is that this USA Today report only furthers my question marks around the athletic department's commitment to football, but it is hard to judge fully without letting time pass a little and gaining more context as to where that money is intended to go.

The smug arrogance from the people on this thread who agree with you adds essentially no value other than showing some people feel an innate sense of superiority because they're willing to $10 a month for a few extra articles, which is pretty laughable to say the least.

The arguments you make are compelling, you're right it's definitely not as simple as Dolson having an extra $30 million to put into any sport he wants, and we've still yet to see where all this money ends up. I stand by the principle of what I wrote which is that this USA Today report only furthers my question marks around the athletic department's commitment to football, but it is hard to judge fully without letting time pass a little and gaining more context as to where that money is intended to go.

The smug arrogance from the people on this thread who agree with you adds essentially no value other than showing some people feel an innate sense of superiority because they're willing to $10 a month for a few extra articles, which is pretty laughable to say the least.
Well said,I always chuckle when someone gets on here and says ‘this is typical free board stuff’ like paying $10 a month makes them an authority on all things IU

Osterman has spelled all of this out in his article about this topic. It's basically saying, there's not a boatload of money just sitting around to be invested. It was a 'bailout' from IUF to keep us afloat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT