ADVERTISEMENT

IU a big spender for basketball recruiting

I understand your tactic. I, unlike other posters, know you are not an idiot. However, you are taking on the role of contrarian without proper counter facts. Your fundamental position that lazy fans could become seduced by another incompetent coach is valid. Many of us learned, myself included, the hard way with Crean. You don’t have to take up this crusade. Instead, give the guy three years, and come unglued if we miss the tourney next year like the rest of us are prepared to do.
I don’t totally disagree with you. I just don’t want fans sitting around for 5 years before demanding change. It’ll take a couple years after the backlash before anything happens. I don’t want this to last 7 years.

Last year was a complete disaster, no two ways about it. This year looks worse. And our recruiting has fallen off a cliff since last year started. I could definitely end up being wrong but history strongly suggests if a coach starts as slow as Archie has the odds of them catching up is very, very low. I’m just thinking in terms of percentages while most are hoping with their hearts. We will know a lot over the next year.

I don’t totally disagree with you. I just don’t want fans sitting around for 5 years before demanding change. It’ll take a couple years after the backlash before anything happens. I don’t want this to last 7 years.

Last year was a complete disaster, no two ways about it. This year looks worse. And our recruiting has fallen off a cliff since last year started. I could definitely end up being wrong but history strongly suggests if a coach starts as slow as Archie has the odds of them catching up is very, very low. I’m just thinking in terms of percentages while most are hoping with their hearts. We will know a lot over the next year.
You’re wrong and right.

The recruiting has been fine. It hasn’t been the level of blue bloods, but he has plenty of talent to finish in the top three of the Big Ten next year. That will set him up well for some big fish in 2021. Maybe another coach could have started out hotter in recruiting, but he has an A- in my book.

You are right that he has started slow in the win column, and that is not a positive. He should have made the tournament last year, but it’s too early to evaluate him.

We can also agree that we will have a lot of clarity in February.

Last edited:
Reactions: cryano
How will you guys do this year with Carson gone?

Really hard to say, if I had to bet my house on it I would say upper third of the conference with a tourney bid, 5 or 6 seed. Ceiling probably 3rd in the conference. Young team that I have a ton of confidence for in the future but I think this year it will reset a bit while the younger guys develop. Good enough to beat just about anyone, but not good enough to beat teams when they don't play/shoot well.

What's your prediction for IU basketball this year Courtsense?

Reactions: 1ndyBoiler
Per the Indiana Star today IU has spent the most in BB recruiting over the last 6 years (Kentucky 2nd). Lots of quotes from Glass about this showing his dedication to BBall.

No idea if this is vetted for differences in accounting or as someone mentioned earlier planes etc.....

You’re wrong and right.

The recruiting has been fine. It hasn’t been been the level of blue bloods, but he has plenty of talent to finish in the top three of the Big Ten next year. That will set him up well for some big fish in 2021. Maybe another coach could have started out hotter in recruiting, but he has an A- in my book.

You are right that he has started slow in the win column, and that is not a positive. He should have made the tournament last year, but it’s too early to evaluate him.

We can also agree that we will have a lot of clarity in February.

More than fair and criticisms I can get behind. Injuries or not IU still have made the tournament last year but I'm looking at the bigger picture. Archie has been able to finagle his roster after not inheriting much to where IU is in position to make the tournament this year. His recruited well enough these last two years to where IU will have not only only some very good top end talent, but experienced talent that that. With the 2021 class have some major impact players (Lander, Furst, Kauffman) that can contribute immediately to go along with upperclassmen like TJD, Phinisee, Hunter, Franklin on top of program committed guys like Leal and Galloway, 2021 should be a huge year. IU isn't going to become a national title contender overnight and anyone who thinks otherwise is blindly delusional. It's part of a process and it starts with recruiting and roster construction and I think Archie is succeeding in that regard. On-court results do need to improve and I am a firm believer that they will given Archie's past, but it needs to happen sooner than later starting with this year.

who said 5 years? who said 7? where do you get this shit? you know Crean got extra time due to the perceived condition of the program when he took over. in one of your lucid moments, i think you actually agreed with this. why lazily and douchely apply that to the current situation?

again, Archie is not why IU has been down for a generation. lol. he may actually be the solution. if not, he'll likely be fired after 4 years by the AD who fired our last coach a year removed from a B10 title/ Sweet 16.

let him coach. or just triple-down on being an asshole...

Per the Indiana Star today IU has spent the most in BB recruiting over the last 6 years (Kentucky 2nd). Lots of quotes from Glass about this showing his dedication to BBall.

No idea if this is vetted for differences in accounting or as someone mentioned earlier planes etc.....

It is due to accounting differences. IU rents aircraft instead of using its own. More PR BS from the athletics department. Trust me, IU was and still is not dedicated to basketball. The program was run like a low mid major before Archie arrived.

It is due to accounting differences. IU rents aircraft instead of using its own. More PR BS from the athletics department. Trust me, IU was and still is not dedicated to basketball. The program was run like a low mid major before Archie arrived.

hmmmm. top ten salary, big budget, hired a good coach. eh.

what does dedication look like to you?

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
who said 5 years? who said 7? where do you get this shit? you know Crean got extra time due to the perceived condition of the program when he took over. in one of your lucid moments, i think you actually agreed with this. why lazily and douchely apply that to the current situation?

again, Archie is not why IU has been down for a generation. lol. he may actually be the solution. if not, he'll likely be fired after 4 years by the AD who fired our last coach a year removed from a B10 title/ Sweet 16.

let him coach. or just triple-down on being an asshole...
Coaches don’t get fired when fans get upset. They get fired after about 2 years of rumblings and low attendance. Especially with Glass. So people better start making that known this year if he’s going to get fired after 4.

Coaches don’t get fired when fans get upset. They get fired after about 2 years of rumblings and low attendance. Especially with Glass. So people better start making that known this year if he’s going to get fired after 4.

Eh — another lazy, simplistic take on how this all works...

hmmmm. top ten salary, big budget, hired a good coach. eh.

what does dedication look like to you?
A scoreboard where IU wins much more often? A
tournament bracket that says NCAA rather than NIT?A Big Ten standing where you automatically look to the bottom half rather than the top? A rivalry game that means something to our rival?

Better facilities for starters.

I can't speak to this as I haven't to been to too many other arenas but our shit looks good and up-to-date per the interwebs. Who are we lagging behind?

okay, what else? seriously, i'm curious. this is not a trap. lol.

A scoreboard where IU wins much more often? A
tournament bracket that says NCAA rather than NIT?A Big Ten standing where you automatically look to the bottom half rather than the top? A rivalry game that means something to our rival?

agreed! Archie gets us there in a year or two...or then we'll go give top money to the next guy. and it's just that easy! lol

I'm not sure you know how accounting works. Even it was accounting magic, why would the athletic department artificially inflate their spending?

Sure, it may be more expensive to consistently charter planes, which forces IU to spend more than other programs.

I'm not sure you know how accounting works. Even it was accounting magic, why would the athletic department artificially inflate their spending?

Sure, it may be more expensive to consistently charter planes, which forces IU to spend more than other programs.

I didn’t say they artificially inflated their spending. IU spends more on aircraft than other schools by renting. It doesn’t mean that IU’s coaches are given more resources than other schools.

agreed! Archie gets us there in a year or two...or then we'll go give top money to the next guy. and it's just that easy! lol
You were perplexed as to what it meant to be dedicated. I tried to help you with a few basics, even if they were hard for you to understand. It might’ve also helped IU had they not put someone in charge who had zero athletic administration experience and who had never hired, managed, nurtured or otherwise supervised even one coach. Ever. In their entire life. Having such a person oversee everything is a great example of the absence of dedication. But you and most others would never understand that.

You were perplexed as to what it meant to be dedicated. I tried to help you with a few basics, even if they were hard for you to understand. It might’ve also helped IU had they not put someone in charge who had zero athletic administration experience and who had never hired, managed, nurtured or otherwise supervised even one coach. Ever. In their entire life. Having such a person oversee everything is a great example of the absence of dedication. But you and most others would never understand that.

I wanted data points and not gibberish but thanks for trying to help!

No sure why u think it’s weakening. Archie has recruited the best in state players every recruiting class he’s had. For the first time ever we’re abt to have 3 straight Mr basketballs. 2020 was supposed to be a week class and he’s making it better than most thought. You guys just gotta shut up complaining all the time when your arguments aren’t even logical..
2019 recruiting class ranked in the mid 40s to 50s nationally depending on where you look
...that's not very good regardless of your logic

Reactions: IUgradman
2019 recruiting class ranked in the mid 40s to 50s nationally depending on where you look
...that's not very good regardless of your logic

It’s good enough if the current guys play well as these total POS scrub loser players gain experience. This isn’t a video game. Lol.

Reactions: TommyCracker
Archie learning it's a little more difficult coaching in The B1G

I’m guessing he knew that when he took the job since he’s actually in the profession but I hope you felt that special twinge in the ol plumbs as you made that oh-so-bold statement.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
don't feed the troll

another thread trased

That’s the smart approach but I’m enjoying just not giving a shit what the whack pack says. The secret to my success is that they really aren’t too bright.

As for the board, it’s beyond fixing...

That’s the smart approach but I’m enjoying just not giving a shit what the whack pack says. The secret to my success is that they really aren’t too bright.

As for the board, it’s beyond fixing...

You may be right, this was once a great place to discuss and debate IU athletics. The trolls have run off many good smart posters who got tired of the BS. The mods tried for awhile banning Ordy 30 times at least just since his IUDanapoint days but they seem to have given up. It is badly broken.

Reactions: Courtsensethree
OK... I'll bite. What would you do differently to fix the team's "mediocrity"?
I wouldn’t have sat still in year one with a roster that wasn’t good enough to contribute in either years 1 or 2. The hangover from that inaction remains.

I wouldn’t have sat still in year one with a roster that wasn’t good enough to contribute in either years 1 or 2. The hangover from that inaction remains.
Could you be a little more specific? What would you have done differently. Who would you have gotten rid of? Who would you have had a shot with in replacing those players? I'm not attacking here... i just want realistic answers more than generalizations. It's easy to say "I'd want better players."

Could you be a little more specific? What would you have done differently. Who would you have gotten rid of? Who would you have had a shot with in replacing those players? I'm not attacking here... i just want realistic answers more than generalizations. It's easy to say "I'd want better players."

That's easy. He would have brought in these guys...duh.

73230f221e21d530340f4dd3a0fc28a9.jpg

He might have won 20 games.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Look at the roster that year, who was coming on, and who could realistically play at the Big 10 level. Miller had a mulligan to begin, in earnest, to remake the roster. He didn’t, and IU’s progress been delayed (at best) as a result. As much as people talk scheme, the key on any transition is culture, and it stunk at the end of Crean’s tenure. Some of that could be changed, but much of it was ingrained in returning players, and the results have shown it. Slow starts, long lapses of fundamental play, a general lack of toughness and resolve. Miller waited too long to address this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT