ADVERTISEMENT

It baffles me we never run any action to open shooters up

ce36ei

Senior
Sep 14, 2019
We completely rely on TJD to pass out of a double. This offense is so centered on TJD and JHS pick and roll. It’s maddening at this point.

I get it works on a lot of teams…but this is do and die time…and we’re definitely gonna die sooner rather than later.

Reactions: Lucy01
What shooters-Kopp and Galloway can't hit wide open shots even. PSU on the other hand was burying them in the 1st half. Only Trace and Race showed up. Galloway has been none existent in last 3 games.

Reactions: Mr.IU
What shooters-Kopp and Galloway can't hit wide open shots even. PSU on the other hand was burying them in the 1st half. Only Trace and Race showed up. Galloway has been none existent in last 3 games.
I would say our 3 pt attempts by those 2 were not wide open at hardly any point in the game. Never run plays to get them open.

Galloway seems to be much better with the ball in his hand. When JHS is the exclusive point guard, Galloway is lost.

No, they missed WIDE open shots. Plenty of them too
Really? Plenty of them too. The box score says that Kopp shot 3 3's and Galloway the same. I don't call that plenty of them. And 1 of Kopp's was when Race threw him a pass with no where to go and HAD to shoot it. Again, you need to rewatch if you think they were WIDE open and were plentiful.

Reactions: papawboog
Exactly. I saw several open 3’s IU took test failed to go in. We are just not a good shooting team.
And yet Trey and Miller are 2 of the top 3 three pt percentage shooters in the big ten. How does that make sense with your comment about not being a good shooting team?

We completely rely on TJD to pass out of a double. This offense is so centered on TJD and JHS pick and roll. It’s maddening at this point.

I get it works on a lot of teams…but this is do and die time…and we’re definitely gonna die sooner rather than later.
I don’t know about you but I do not trust Kopp to be on the move and then get set for a shot. He has to be like 20% shooting 3s on fast breaks because he never gets set. I imagine the same would be true if running him off 2-3 picks. He and Galloway both are more set shooters. Bates is likely the guy we could run around for shots but as we all know he has been inconsistent.

Imo coach has us playing to our greatest strengths and I like that approach.

Reactions: UncleMark
Really? Plenty of them too. The box score says that Kopp shot 3 3's and Galloway the same. I don't call that plenty of them. And 1 of Kopp's was when Race threw him a pass with no where to go and HAD to shoot it. Again, you need to rewatch if you think they were WIDE open and were plentiful.
Kopp only shot 3 but imo he should have taken about 4 more that he passed up. The shots were available imo.

I would love for this team to run the Princeton style of offense! Unfortunately we would need players with a higher IQ than what this team has had the past 2 decades! CMW is an NBA style coach, but NBA pick and roll plays arent great for the college game! Need a motion/flex style system!

Umm kopp passed up at least 4 three pointers that PSU would take

I would love for this team to run the Princeton style of offense! Unfortunately we would need players with a higher IQ than what this team has had the past 2 decades! CMW is an NBA style coach, but NBA pick and roll plays arent great for the college game! Need a motion/flex style system!
I think they should run Lakers Show Time .

*eyeroll*

They had plenty but chose not to take them. Guess you missed Miller failing to shoot the open 3 only to let the shot clock run out.

I don’t know about you but I do not trust Kopp to be on the move and then get set for a shot. He has to be like 20% shooting 3s on fast breaks because he never gets set. I imagine the same would be true if running him off 2-3 picks. He and Galloway both are more set shooters. Bates is likely the guy we could run around for shots but as we all know he has been inconsistent.

Imo coach has us playing to our greatest strengths and I like that approach.
Coach has us playing to what? We just lost to friggin PSU. Glad you like the approach. Loser mentaility.

Coach has us playing to what? We just lost to friggin PSU. Glad you like the approach. Loser mentaility.
We just finished 3rd in the big ten after what 6 years of the bottom half? Made our second tournament in a row after a 5 year drought. And we did it without our starting pg. yes i love Woodson’s approach to the game. If we run Kopp of picks for 40 minutes, it’s my guess that we lose by 50.

Woody is running the best stuff for this team. He knows it’s a two man show.

Teams are letting the ball move to Race. It’s not complicated.

Two man bench at this point? Not great.

I mean, how bout running some back cuts or off the ball back screens to get cutters open to the basket? Run these when defense throws a zone at you!?
Ok.

How about just hit shots? How many 1 of 10 from three games have we seen? IU takes good looks. I could do without the off balance threes from Kopp on the break,

Reactions: Mr.IU
I mean, how bout running some back cuts or off the ball back screens to get cutters open to the basket? Run these when defense throws a zone at you!?
If you really understood anything about the game of basketball you would have to realize how idiotic the things you said in this post are. Especially so if the opponent is playing a zone. You are simply babbling basketball jargon in this post.

The problems today were not difficult to diagnose. First, we do not have athletic players at the 3 or 4 who can create shots. We do not have one single player who can catch, take one or two dribbles and stick a three - or hit a step-back three. In short, other teams can double the post on us all day and not suffer consequences.

Secondly, we pissed away too many possessions by taking early shots or committing unforced errors. In the stretch where we went forever without scoring in the first half (going from six up to ten down) I counted eight straight scoreless possessions. On six of those, Trayce never touched the ball in the post. That cannot happen if we expect to win. By March, players have to understand the importance of playing every possession to your strength. In our case, that means no shot should be taken other than an open layup until TJD has touched the ball. Our biggest advantage in this game was that PSU had no real effective defense against our bigger interior players, yet we let them go significant stretches in each half where they had to expend little or no time or energy on the defensive end. We lack the ability to focus for forty minutes and the discipline to get the best possible shot every possession.

Yeah. We were 2/14 on 3’s. And most of them were open looks. And you point to ONE shot that Kopp was forced to take? So 5 of the 6 were open shots. That plenty just for them.

Last edited:
Nothing about the offense matters because we can't guard or defensive rebound.

In IU's last 3 losses the opponent has had one of their easiest offensive days of the year.

Today PSU scored at a 1.18 points per possession clip. That was their 5th best day of the year (not counting the games vs mid-major schools). PSU's best day of the year was also vs IU.

Iowa had their 3rd best day of the year in the win at Assembly Hall and their 4th best day of the year in the comeback at Carver-Hawkeye.

MSU had their 3rd easiest scoring day of the year. In 8 of the 11 losses the story has been the same.

One of the major issues is our refusal to grab a defensive rebound. PSU ranks 359th (coming into the day) in offensive rebounding rate, but we couldn't get a defensive rebound during that stretch when they pulled back away from the 47-47 tie. In the end they had their 2nd best offensive rebounding% day of the year.

MSU ranks 259th in offensive rebounding % and had their 4th best day of the year vs IU

Pundits and fans keep talking about jacking up more 3's, but it's this godawful defense and almost impossibly bad defensive rebounding that keeps getting their asses kicked. The worst part is that the defensive woes are more related to scheme/philosophy than roster pieces and effort. They could be tinkering and patching the holes, but it's instead been a consistent disaster all season and nobody even talks about it. It's a waste of Trayce in my opinion and we won't see a player like him again.

Ok.

How about just hit shots? How many 1 of 10 from three games have we seen? IU takes good looks. I could do without the off balance threes from Kopp on the break,
Yep. This offense gets so many open shots but they miss them. How many bunnies do they miss? A lot. It’s silly when people want to run stuff for our 4-7 options.

In IU's last 3 losses the opponent has had one of their easiest offensive days of the year.

Today PSU scored at a 1.18 points per possession clip. That was their 5th best day of the year (not counting the games vs mid-major schools). PSU's best day of the year was also vs IU.

Iowa had their 3rd best day of the year in the win at Assembly Hall and their 4th best day of the year in the comeback at Carver-Hawkeye.

MSU had their 3rd easiest scoring day of the year. In 8 of the 11 losses the story has been the same.

One of the major issues is our refusal to grab a defensive rebound. PSU ranks 359th (coming into the day) in offensive rebounding rate, but we couldn't get a defensive rebound during that stretch when they pulled back away from the 47-47 tie. In the end they had their 2nd best offensive rebounding% day of the year.

MSU ranks 259th in offensive rebounding % and had their 4th best day of the year vs IU

Pundits and fans keep talking about jacking up more 3's, but it's this godawful defense and almost impossibly bad defensive rebounding that keeps getting their asses kicked. The worst part is that the defensive woes are more related to scheme/philosophy than roster pieces and effort. They could be tinkering and patching the holes, but it's instead been a consistent disaster all season and nobody even talks about it. It's a waste of Trayce in my opinion and we won't see a player like him again.
We don't emphasize team rebounding (blocking out). Instead, we emphasize blocking shots. Combined with the fact that we don't block out well generally, relying instead on athleticism.

Yep. This offense gets so many open shots but they miss them. How many bunnies do they miss? A lot. It’s silly when people want to run stuff for our 4-7 options.
TJD is double and tripled. Coaches are scheming to try to slow down JHS and the PNR.

It’s not complicated. We don’t need to run stuff for the 4-7 options. We have a devastating 2 man (NBA players) game. Everyone else is open/not a defensive priority. How else does one explain TJDS assists?

Reactions: Victorbmyboy

Does all of this boil down to “we miss XJ”?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT