ADVERTISEMENT

Is your life better than it was 2 years ago?

UncleMark

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 1, 2001
This question was raised in another thread yesterday. It gave me pause, since with inflation and gasoline and the stock market and on and on the most common answer would presumably be an emphatic No! -- but that's not the case with me. Sure, groceries are up, but we still eat good. Gas is up, but I'm not driving any less. My meager portfolio is down 22%, but I won't need any of that money for a long while (hopefully) so there's plenty of time for it to come back.

And that's just the financial stuff. My work situation -- such as it is -- is actually rather enjoyable rather than stressful and frustrating and full of dread. Me and the wife still get along fine, each doing our things while each of us take care of what needs to be done to make things work. I'm still doing a bit of volunteer work that occasionally gives me the impression I might be doing a little good (although that could be a figment of my imagination). And on the politics side, while I'm not happy with a lot of what's going on, I'm no longer ashamed and aghast over the occupant of the Oval Office.

So how about it, people? As much as we like to bitch and moan, I don't think many of us have had to deal with much adversity or make a lot of sacrifices in the last two years. Have any of you had to significantly change the way you live? Are you better off or worse off in your day to day living than you were two years ago? And no matter how you answer, to what/whom do you attribute that change?

This question was raised in another thread yesterday. It gave me pause, since with inflation and gasoline and the stock market and on and on the most common answer would presumably be an emphatic No! -- but that's not the case with me. Sure, groceries are up, but we still eat good. Gas is up, but I'm not driving any less. My meager portfolio is down 22%, but I won't need any of that money for a long while (hopefully) so there's plenty of time for it to come back.

And that's just the financial stuff. My work situation -- such as it is -- is actually rather enjoyable rather than stressful and frustrating and full of dread. Me and the wife still get along fine, each doing our things while each of us take care of what needs to be done to make things work. I'm still doing a bit of volunteer work that occasionally gives me the impression I might be doing a little good (although that could be a figment of my imagination). And on the politics side, while I'm not happy with a lot of what's going on, I'm no longer ashamed and aghast over the occupant of the Oval Office.

So how about it, people? As much as we like to bitch and moan, I don't think many of us have had to deal with much adversity or make a lot of sacrifices in the last two years. Have any of you had to significantly change the way you live? Are you better off or worse off in your day to day living than you were two years ago? And no matter how you answer, to what/whom do you attribute that change?
Better. Pandemic is over

Only a Neanderthal wouldn’t understand that when the price of gas and diesel fuel went up it effects everything we use from groceries to asphalt roads! But hey, the idiot environmentalist wants high gas prices so people won’t drive and in turn we have less carbon monoxide.

Reactions: DANC and Crayfish57
No it's not. I just got electric bill. It's 200 dollars more than it was last year at this time. Gas is back up again and it costs us 96,000 a year more than it did when Trump was in office. A trip to the grocery store is a head shaker moment. I have to pay alot more attention to what's going on at my daughters school on all levels. I still have a gut after all the covid shit and it's a bitch to lose it. Never ever had that before.

Reactions: ulrey
No it's not. I just got electric bill. It's 200 dollars more than it was last year at this time. Gas is back up again and it costs us 96,000 a year more than it did when Trump was in office. A trip to the grocery store is a head shaker moment. I have to pay alot more attention to what's going on at my daughters school on all levels. I still have a gut after all the covid shit and it's a bitch to lose it. Never ever had that before.

I'm sorry to hear that. What kind of sacrifices have you had to make as a result of all these difficulties?

I would add this is a board tethered to a Big Ten U. It should be a population better suited to weather the Biden storm. And Biden and this congress have been an unmitigated disaster. The impact of inflation on small business, on lower income, the poor, has been awful. Rents are crazy. The rationale behind voting for unseemly republicans at this point is nothing more than mitigation.

Even poor white trailer trash like me and Lucy?
You’re poor white trailer trash who lives below your means and isn’t stupid. You’re stupid. But not in that way. You are comfy and secure owing to some acumen. Go down to Big Lots here in the city and you have people in pain. Inflation is a big deal. When lumber was so out of control I was talking to a rehab guy at Home Depot that said it makes his business untenable. Guy was doing 10k tax houses. Gas alone destroyed my family’s asphalt business this year. They’ve been around forever so are fine but it was the worst year in decades. The breadth of the last two years is remarkable

Last edited:
Yes.

Every day I get out of bed, dress myself, and feed myself is better than the day before. The older you are the more you appreciate doing the simple things in life. Physical activity and actually enjoying family, friends, food, drink, hobbies, and activities are all bonuses. Hell, I even enjoy this board, mostly as a sparring partner since I’ve retired from the real thing.

Found out yesterday that two of my closer law school buddies recently died. That stuff is getting to close to home,

You’re poor white trailer trash who lives below your means and isn’t stupid. You’re stupid. But not in that way. You are comfy and secure owing to some acumen. Go down to Big Lots here in the city and you have people in pain. Inflation is a big deal. When lumber was so out of control I was talking to a rehab guy at Home Depot that said it makes his business untenable. Guy was doing 10k tax houses. Has alone destroyed my family’s asphalt business this year. They’ve been around forever so are fine but it was the worst year in decades. The breadth of the last two years is remarkable
Im shocked you need to explain this to the lefties … not

I’m 72 and my retirement savings is down considerably. Living on fixed income and everything going up is not the recipe for enjoyment in your remaining years. Have a good gas vehicle and don’t want or need an EV but my gas price will keep on going up and up. So I was much better off 2 yrs ago than today!

I’m 72 and my retirement savings is down considerably. Living on fixed income and everything going up is not the recipe for enjoyment in your remaining years. Have a good gas vehicle and don’t want or need an EV but my gas price will keep on going up and up. So I was much better off 2 yrs ago than today!
So what kind of sacrifices have you had to make in response? How has your life changed?

That was my answer, too. My life is immensely better than it was two years ago. And the amount of gratitude almost everyone I know is much greater as well.

I wouldn't attribute a whole lot of it to anything political, but 2022 is immensely better than 2020 for me.
The novelty and uncertainty was awful. Problems now just seem somewhat normal and familiar. Way better now

Things are mostly a wash for me. Maybe I'm slightly better off. I'm earning more and saving more than I was two years ago. I've paid off enough of my car that if someone t-bones me tomorrow, I'll probably have cash left over after paying off the loan.

Qualify of life-wise, I'm spending less time driving, and more time at home, so that's a plus.

But, overall, my life feels very much like it did in 2020.

Things are mostly a wash for me. Maybe I'm slightly better off. I'm earning more and saving more than I was two years ago. I've paid off enough of my car that if someone t-bones me tomorrow, I'll probably have cash left over after paying off the loan.

Qualify of life-wise, I'm spending less time driving, and more time at home, so that's a plus.

I could attack you, throw some of your personal information out there , but you said I was doing better as a poster. So carry-on.

Reactions: Crayfish57

Are you still in the restaurant biz? I will say that has been one big change from today to pre pandemic. I have zero desire to eat out. I almost hate it. Very expensive. Food's shit. And the servers are brutal. Did all the hot bartenders find a new industry? Not a good scenario when you don't know how to cook

Financial I’m worse off and I attribute it mainly to Democrats, covid policies, and the Fed.

Everything is opened back up and I no longer have to cover up my beautiful face, so that’s great.

The silver lining is I discovered (and millions of other people) the significance of Bitcoin. So, I’ve never been more hopeful for the future of mankind.

Reactions: Crayfish57
Are you still in the restaurant biz? I will say that has been one big change from today to pre pandemic. I have zero desire to eat out. I almost hate it. Very expensive. Food's shit. And the servers are brutal. Did all the hot bartenders find a new industry? Not a good scenario when you don't know how to cook
Learn to cook, I guess. :D

• Sad
Reactions: mcmurtry66
When you said you were not embarrassed now with the occupant in the White House.
total lose of credibility happened.
That explained how big and over reaching your Vulva is.

Financial I’m worse off and I attribute it mainly to Democrats, covid policies, and the Fed.

Everything is opened back up and I no longer have to cover up my beautiful face, so that’s great.

The silver lining is I discovered (and millions of other people) the significance of Bitcoin. So, I’ve never been more hopeful for the future of mankind.
So what kind of sacrifices or adjustments have you had to make to deal with your worsened financial situation?

Over the last two years we paid down debt and greatly increased savings. So yes, though my retirement account is now an irrational number.

Only a Neanderthal wouldn’t understand that when the price of gas and diesel fuel went up it effects everything we use from groceries to asphalt roads! But hey, the idiot environmentalist wants high gas prices so people won’t drive and in turn we have less carbon monoxide.
The only people who think anything is better is those who hate Trump. That trumps everything to them including the econonmy. 11/08 will show most people do not feel they are better off.

The only people who think anything is better is those who hate Trump. That trumps everything to them including the econonmy. 11/08 will show most people do not feel they are better off.
Not everyone views the entire universe through partisan glasses like you do.

I was more successful under Trump than I was under Obama. So far, I've been more successful under Biden than I was under Trump. I doubt it has anything to do with who is in the White House.

I was more successful under Trump than I was under Obama. So far, I've been more successful under Biden than I was under Trump. I doubt it has anything to do with who is in the White House.
You liberals as a group sure view it that way. Maybe you don't but look at the original poster and responses

Agree. Those that blame everything good or bad in their life on the president are not living in reality.

Fortunate that both the wife and I have steady good paying jobs. We live below our means and while our bills are up, so our incomes. I've been banking all my raises for years so I don't miss the money. Things get real bad I'll cut back on savings.

If things are so bad for some of you, go back to school or go learn a trade. If you have to, take a second job. Just quit whining about your quality of life.

You liberals as a group sure view it that way. Maybe you don't but look at the original poster and responses
If people were honest, they'd almost always say they were better off than they were X number of years ago. There are temporary disruptions, but for the most part, our economic and social development keeps chugging upward, slowly at times, but still trending to the positive.

Reactions: bigmac76

2020 sucked ass. The poster who originally asked the question meant pre-Biden I'm sure, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and call it pre-Covid. But even with that, I'm still in better shape overall now than then. Sure, my situation is somewhat different from most of the Coolerites, but it is what it is. I have a better quality of life and haven't had to make any sacrifices or adjustments in the last few months that everyone seems to think have been so dire. I'm simply trying to see how much others have been personally effected. So far it doesn't sound like anyone is truly suffering. In fact, just the opposite.

Thanks to all for playing nicely.

If people were honest, they'd almost always say they were better off than they were X number of years ago. There are temporary disruptions, but for the most part, our economic and social development keeps chugging upward, slowly at times, but still trending to the positive.
disagree. and i don't pin it on a party etc. but when the price of a car is what it is and a house is what it is and college is what it is our economic development is not trending to the positive. it's trending to a larger gap. my dad got back from vietnam. drove a dump truck while he went to school and my mom stayed home and we had two nice cars and a nice little house in a great part of town. that wouldn't happen today. not a chance in that same town.

as i said this is a big ten university website. hardly representative

2020 sucked ass. The poster who originally asked the question meant pre-Biden I'm sure, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and call it pre-Covid. But even with that, I'm still in better shape overall now than then. Sure, my situation is somewhat different from most of the Coolerites, but it is what it is. I have a better quality of life and haven't had to make any sacrifices or adjustments in the last few months that everyone seems to think have been so dire. I'm simply trying to see how much others have been personally effected. So far it doesn't sound like anyone is truly suffering. In fact, just the opposite.

Thanks to all for playing nicely.
My life kept going in 2020. The only real difference I noticed was that there was very little traffic.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT