ADVERTISEMENT

Is The US Outfoxing Russia?

DrHoops

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 7, 2001
Josh Marshall at TPM wrote/posted two articles referencing the US’ continual broadcasting of an imminent Russian invasion.

“I’ve mentioned before that while constant threats of an invasion are a powerful weapon for Russia, an actual invasion is fraught with danger. I don’t know if this is all a bluff. But I do think Russia is leery about the risks of actually following through and invading Ukraine. By continually saying an invasion is imminent, the U.S. is highlighting the fact that Russia keeps threatening but not acting. All threats and no action.”

“Rather than keeping everyone else on tenterhooks they’re looking more and more like they’re bluffing or unwilling or unable to actually follow through on their threats. Putin himself seemed to allude to this earlier this month when he accused the U.S. of trying to goad Russia into invading.”

“Could the U.S. actually force Russia’s hand or make it harder for Russia to back down? I doubt it? But it’s a reasonable question. What I do think they’re doing is attempting to turn Russia’s most effective weapon — the looming threat of military action — against them. Rather than keep the atmosphere of threat at a constant simmer, the U.S. keeps raising it to a fever pitch and then having the Russia actually not act.”

Part two:

“I think the other reason the administration keeps talking about an imminent invasions is that it helps them define the narrative should one occur. They want to ensure that the narrative is that Putin, without provocation, amassed a massive number of troops and then invaded. Brazen, unadulterated military aggression. It may seem obvious that that would be the narrative but it’s not. The narrative could be that Putin moved troops to the border and the West didn’t react strongly enough or leaned too hard on diplomacy or that something the US said or did provoked Russia into acting, etc., etc. I suspect that by ceaseless repetition the administration hopes to cement the narrative as brazen unadulterated military aggression, full stop. By relentlessly predicting it, they hope to define the lens through which it is understood.”

Whether Russia invades or not, it’s comforting knowing grownups are in charge rather than watching a fool tripping over himself trying to get Putin to “like him”.

Last edited:
If Trump had beaten Biden in the election Putin would already have taken the Ukraine. Putin blundered badly by delaying his warmongering till after the election.

As a Valentines' Gift?
Speaking of which did you read about the message Putin put in a press conference, addressing the leader of the Ukraine as “my beautiful”? Now in Slavic languages such phrases are common but not between men as 2 leaders of two Slavic nations. It was interpreted as Condescending and insulting.

It’s kind of like Biden saying to Putin, “don’t invade the Ukraine, my darling. “

Bailey and DMB need to wait until tonight so Tucker can tell them what to think.
Lefties are out in full force today trying to pat each other on the back for all being on the same team. Gotta keep that 80% majority on this board in the liberal echo chamber.I dont watch fox by the way. But listening to the 80- 85% libs on here is just like watching cnn in my book. I should find a board where everyone else is exactly the same and thinks exactly the same. You guys really get out of your comfort zones I tell you. You should be proud of yourselves its really cutting edge stuff.

Lefties are out in full force today trying to pat each other on the back for all being on the same team. Gotta keep that 80% majority on this board in the echo liberal echo chamber.I dont watch fox by the way. But listening to the 80- 85% libs on here is just like watching cnn in my book. I should find a board where everyone else is exactly the same and thinks exactly the same. You guys really get out of your comfort zones I tell you. You should be proud of yourselves its really cutting edge stuff.

Hang on. Whose "team" are you on?

Reactions: sglowrider
Lefties are out in full force today trying to pat each other on the back for all being on the same team. Gotta keep that 80% majority on this board in the liberal echo chamber.I dont watch fox by the way. But listening to the 80- 85% libs on here is just like watching cnn in my book. I should find a board where everyone else is exactly the same and thinks exactly the same. You guys really get out of your comfort zones I tell you. You should be proud of yourselves its really cutting edge stuff.
Bots gonna bot.
Way to use that word bank.

If Trump had beaten Biden in the election Putin would already have taken the Ukraine. Putin blundered badly by delaying his warmongering till after the election.

So your working theory is that Putin delayed putting 130,000 troops on Ukraine's border until Biden was in office because he thought Trump was going to win the election?

Reactions: Crayfish57
There he is...but he didn't address the topic.

So your working theory is that Putin delayed putting 130,000 troops on Ukraine's border until Biden was in office because he thought Trump was going to win the election?

Strawman+playbackups+com.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: sglowrider
He may not of had the money to pay for it in the first place.
He’s getting $50 / bbl. more … and pumping as much as he may like.
US energy independence hit Putin’s wallet.

Here are excerpts from your own cutting edge commentary:

"Lefties"
"same team"
"liberal echo chamber"
"comfort zones"

Brilliant analysis! It says a lot about your thought process.

Russia to begin moving troops away from Ukraine border in what could be a huge defeat for Putin

"if Putin has really blinked, this would be huge win for Biden, [Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy] and the West,"

Why do I get the feeling our friends on the right are disappointed that the West, European democracies, and specifically America, MAY win this stand off.

Why do I get the feeling our friends on the right are disappointed that the West, European democracies, and specifically America, MAY win this stand off.

It's Wednesday. Do you know where your invasion forces are?

I personally don't think Putin ever intended, or intends, to invade the Ukraine. What he's trying to accomplish, I'm not smart enough to know. But I'm not buying into this "invasion any day" narrative. (That narrative is probably just some US tactic as well.)

Having said that, watch the tanks roll within the hour. I'm never right.

Reactions: NPT
I thought yesterday Biden has saved the world now he is telling us abou high gas prices is if they are already not sky high!!!

Putin got what he wanted. Ukraine will never been in NATO. That's good for us as well, as we can now end the 2nd cold war.

It's Wednesday. Do you know where your invasion forces are?

I personally don't think Putin ever intended, or intends, to invade the Ukraine. What he's trying to accomplish, I'm not smart enough to know. But I'm not buying into this "invasion any day" narrative. (That narrative is probably just some US tactic as well.)

Having said that, watch the tanks roll within the hour. I'm never right.
There are two possibilities regarding what the US/UK are doing with the "war is imminent" narrative.

One, they are fighting Russian misinformation with their own misinformation. Two, they are sharing genuine raw intelligence to lay bare Russia's actual actions/intent. I'm not sure what exactly they expect to accomplish, but if it's the latter, they must truly believe it is a genuine counter to Putin. You don't burn intelligence like that without some serious gain.

Reactions: twenty02
There are two possibilities regarding what the US/UK are doing with the "war is imminent" narrative.

One, they are fighting Russian misinformation with their own misinformation. Two, they are sharing genuine raw intelligence to lay bare Russia's actual actions/intent. I'm not sure what exactly they expect to accomplish, but if it's the latter, they must truly believe it is a genuine counter to Putin. You don't burn intelligence like that without some serious gain.
Satellite photos, PowerPoint graphs and troop estimates are hardly deep intelligence. CNN reboots the "any second now" graphic to keep their fans engaged.

No one here has a clue what is up but it is good fodder to sell time for Medicare PartC ads.

If it was actual intelligence then it would have to give Russia pause that we know almost down to the hour what they want to do or are planning to do. So what else have we intercepted and shared with the Ukrainians would be the question.

However, I think the costs of occupying Ukraine are going to be too high for the Russians to ultimately pursue an invasion. I think they are looking for a face saving off ramp at the moment as well. There may have been the thought to do this at a point in time, but as they got up to that point, it was becoming clear that whatever ruptures they thought were in NATO were more superficial then they believed and that there was going to be a heavier toll than they had initially believed (IMO).

If it was actual intelligence then it would have to give Russia pause that we know almost down to the hour what they want to do or are planning to do. So what else have we intercepted and shared with the Ukrainians would be the question.

However, I think the costs of occupying Ukraine are going to be too high for the Russians to ultimately pursue an invasion. I think they are looking for a face saving off ramp at the moment as well. There may have been the thought to do this at a point in time, but as they got up to that point, it was becoming clear that whatever ruptures they thought were in NATO were more superficial then they believed and that there was going to be a heavier toll than they had initially believed (IMO).
According to Estonia’s spy chief, Russia doesn’t have enough forces in place for a full-scale invasion of Ukraine and full occupation, but a limited attack is considered “likely”, while intensified level of fighting in two Russia-backed regions in the east is deemed “very likely”.

Belarus President Lukashenko: “I will meet with Putin on Friday to discuss combined troop action”
Get your popcorn

Analysts have said that Belarus could leave the Russian sphere of influence…not happening

NATO's sole purpose imo was to try to contend with Russia's expansionistic movements after WWII. I can see why Putin doesn't like the organization. Doesn't mean it isn't good rather that Russia's menacing existence to Europe is why it was created in the first place. Russia still seems to be in its empire building phase whereas the rest of the world has moved away from that philosophy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT