ADVERTISEMENT

Is Donoven McCulley definitely gone?

He had a redshirt available, wasn’t playing and wasn’t going to play much this year. He wants a chance at the next level and for that to happen he needs to be on the field. Why waste your final year of eligibility for a bit role when he can save it, go somewhere else and be WR1 and show what he brings.

DM is moving on mainly due to the success of the IU football program and the cast of WR's on this team. Good for IU and hopefully good for DM too. I hope DM makes a splash wherever he lands so both IU and DM can prosper. Go Hoosiers !!!

The portal is ruining college sports. These kids that are in/out of the portal multiple time (like the ones that are leaving now) should look in the mirror and say, " maybe it's me". Just my thoughts. It's like my sister who has been married 4 times...maybe she's the common denominator that isn't working!

Reactions: 82hoosier
The portal is ruining college sports. These kids that are in/out of the portal multiple time (like the ones that are leaving now) should look in the mirror and say, " maybe it's me". Just my thoughts. It's like my sister who has been married 4 times...maybe she's the common denominator that isn't working!
What are her NIL demands?

I started a thread on this last night with 2 basic ideas to solve the problem. First, You can only use your "4 Game Redshirt Rule in your true Freshman or Sophomore Year. This gets back to the idea of letting a Young Player get on the field early in his career after getting enough practice reps, while providing depth for the Team late in the Year when injuries might take a toll. In your Junior or Senior Year, You can choose to redshirt a year, but it involves sitting out the Whole Year. You only get an extra year at this point if You are injured and play less than 5 games in a given year.

With respect the Portal and transfers, You are allowed one transfer without penalty. If You enter the portal a second time during your career and transfer You sit out a full Year (the Old Rule). This puts the onus on the Player to make the best transfer decision the first time
and weigh the consequences of sitting out a year and being off the field for the better part of two years after a Second transfer.

I started a thread on this last night with 2 basic ideas to solve the problem. First, You can only use your "4 Game Redshirt Rule in your true Freshman or Sophomore Year. This gets back to the idea of letting a Young Player get on the field early in his career after getting enough practice reps, while providing depth for the Team late in the Year when injuries might take a toll. In your Junior or Senior Year, You can choose to redshirt a year, but it involves sitting out the Whole Year. You only get an extra year at this point if You are injured and play less than 5 games in a given year.

With respect the Portal and transfers, You are allowed one transfer without penalty. If You enter the portal a second time during your career and transfer You sit out a full Year (the Old Rule). This puts the onus on the Player to make the best transfer decision the first time
and weigh the consequences of sitting out a year and being off the field for the better part of two years after a Second transfer.
I can get behind that. I'd also lobby to keep the grad transfer freebie. Maybe with the change that it only applies if sitting out a year would exhaust their eligibility, like it was originally intended. Meaning, if someone redshirts as a freshman, then plays 3 years at a place but wants to make a grad transfer, they should be allowed immediate eligibility. More often than not, it'll be the transfer to put in position to go to the NFL, but there are surely some kids that actually want to go to grad school AND play football and if they're somewhere that doesn't have their grad program, they'd be stuck choosing to play ball while being in a program that doesn't help them or having to give up ball because they want to continue their education.

Edit: I had the "only applies if sitting would exhaust eligibility" part because a kid with a good head on their shoulders can graduate super early with some AP classes & hitting it hard during summer school to graduate as like a sophomore. They have eligibility to lose, let them.

Reactions: red hornet
If so, then college football is screwed up even more than I thought that it already is,

Sure looks that way...

His name is off the roster and Cignetti doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who'll be terribly forgiving of a fellow who bails mid-season no matter how good the reason (at least on the short term, maybe 3 years from now he'll be magnanimous and understanding but right now I'd bet he's grinding his teeth a bit)...

I'd imagine that Cignetti had some match up plans against smaller corners for DM over the next 7 games... Those are in his circular file now...

In DM's defense (and the others) this move is his only chance at retaining his RS Year and going somewhere with a shot at starting, in his case he potentially has the skills to make a pro team a couple of years from now "If" he starts catching the ball with a high rate of success...

All the best to him (as long as he doesn't go to p u, if so, then invert that)...

Louisville might be his best move... They throw the ball a lot and Brohmardi seems much more forgiving of the occasional outright drop...(which might have been his problem in practice here [just guessing based on last season, not any insider info]...)...

This may turn out to be the best thing to ever happen to him athletically. Someone has finally looked past his "potential" and actually demanded near perfection from him... Might light a fire under him when he finally lands at what he has to realize will be his last opportunity collegiately...

The Portal (actual) doesn't open up until December (as pointed out by several others on here) but if a player wants to retain his RS year and have another year of eligibility this approach appears to be the only way they can do it...

I can see both sides of the argument. The positive side for the program they're bailing on is that the coaches now know with a much higher degree of precision (barring catastrophic injuries or Team wide walk outs) exactly the number of scholarships available to them in early December... The big negative for the TEAM is the hit that depth (in case of injuries) and Special Teams takes (which is significant)...

The bad news/ good news also is that a young player they might have wanted to RS this year ends up losing that option due to having to have to have been plugged into an emergency assignment (filling the hole that the guy who bailed left open)..., but at least in that case they gain some valuable experience...

The positive for the player leaving is obvious: They retain a year of eligibility and..., theoretically..., the opportunity to go somewhere where they can see significant PT again while keeping their dream of getting a shot at "the League" alive...

Last edited:
Reactions: red hornet

I like the USC coaches idea of just giving everyone 5 years to play; with any additional years only added due to catastrophic injury circumstances... Keep it simple...

I do like your one free transfer idea somewhat but it seems like that one has already been looked at and considered too restrictive...

There does seem to need to be something done about what a guy like Bildi pulled with us....; where they take the NIL $ to basically just get paid to workout over winter and then bail just prior to Spring practice... Something contractual would need to be looked at there...

Edit: USC's proposal is 5 to play 5 as the poster below suggests.
LINK:

Last edited:
Perhaps the interesting aspect is that the overall number of departures is as low as it is. Suggests that the buy-in is high.

DM may need to graduate to get an extra year I don’t think he qualifies for the extra COVID season.

I like the USC coaches idea of just giving everyone 5 years to play 4..., with any additional years only added due to catastrophic injury circumstances... Keep it simple...

I do like your one free transfer idea somewhat but it seems like that one has already been looked at and considered too restrictive...

There does seem to need to be something done about what a guy like Bildi pulled with us....; where they take the NIL $ to basically just get paid to workout over winter and then bail just prior to Spring practice... Something contractual would need to be looked at there...
I believe the USC proposal (others have offered this too) is just five years to play five years....not the old 5 to play 4.

Perhaps the interesting aspect is that the overall number of departures is as low as it is. Suggests that the buy-in is high.

DM may need to graduate to get an extra year I don’t think he qualifies for the extra COVID season.
He's using his redshirt season this year to preserve an extra year of eligibility next season. He can transfer at will to anywhere.

Reactions: red hornet and 76-1
I believe the USC proposal (others have offered this too) is just five years to play five years....not the old 5 to play 4.
The new talking point is going to the football model for all sports. If you play in less than 30% of any season, you automatically get a 5th year. So that means a freshman basketball player would essentially be able to play in all the tune up games and then sit the conference season and be awarded a 5th year down the road.

This is over the top based on this situation itself. In the past kids didn't enter the portal, they just left the program and later you would see they ended up joining another program in the offseason. In the end, same thing but its simply more common.

The new talking point is going to the football model for all sports. If you play in less than 30% of any season, you automatically get a 5th year. So that means a freshman basketball player would essentially be able to play in all the tune up games and then sit the conference season and be awarded a 5th year down the road.
I'm against a blanket extra year on principle. I can dig the 30% rule, which seems to be what football is already doing.

If they are able to limit the number of times a player can transfer, a rule that would allow an extra transfer if a coaching change is made would probably make sense, too.

Are teams allowed to add players mid-season, i.e. after game four? To keep a full roster? There is a roster limit in addition to scholarship limits I assume?
If so, we'll need to NIL to stock preferred walkons, who aren't really even on the team, at the beginning of the year, and who's only purpose is for depth joining the active roster in game 5 after the yearly NIL/redshirt exodus.

Are teams allowed to add players mid-season, i.e. after game four? To keep a full roster? There is a roster limit in addition to scholarship limits I assume?
If so, we'll need to NIL to stock preferred walkons, who aren't really even on the team, at the beginning of the year, and who's only purpose is for depth joining the active roster in game 5 after the yearly NIL/redshirt exodus.

I'm sure that's an issue that will come up in the offseason coaches meeting... We've taken a hit on Special Teams coverage units... The true freshman can probably fill the gaps but it's probably not a pleasant time to be the Special Teams coach...

You're not going to spend NIL resources on walk-ons.

Or grown men and women can act their age and quit whining about their inability to hold a kid hostage when his absence will have little to no impact as things sit today. He played his butt off for us through down years, a position change, and recommitted after a change in coaching staff. If you really have a problem with the young man making a decision to provide themself a better opportunity to reach their goal, maybe it’s you?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT