ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Fact About Roster....

phnxfan

Benchwarmer
Dec 6, 2008
I'd Like To Know. Of the 22 Players presently listed as "Starters", or, "1st Team", on both the Offense, and Defense, how many of those were on that same list, for last year's team? Beginning of year, or, end of year. I'm guessing, not more than two, or three, possibly 4, for each side. And that would be disregarding injuries. Assuming everyones healthy. Would anyone know that number, or even percentage? Will probably be talked about, when the season starts, and the starting lineups are announced, but, I'd love to know how it all pans out, right now. Anybody know those numbers?

I'd Like To Know. Of the 22 Players presently listed as "Starters", or, "1st Team", on both the Offense, and Defense, how many of those were on that same list, for last year's team? Beginning of year, or, end of year. I'm guessing, not more than two, or three, possibly 4, for each side. And that would be disregarding injuries. Assuming everyones healthy. Would anyone know that number, or even percentage? Will probably be talked about, when the season starts, and the starting lineups are announced, but, I'd love to know how it all pans out, right now. Anybody know those numbers?
Where are you getting the starters list? I haven't seen one.

Where are you getting the starters list? I haven't seen one.
That's what I'm wondering! Is there actually a list rating the players for each skill position? Or, if not, just go off the starters for the Spring Game. Adjusting for #1's who didn't start because of injury.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Not that I’ve seen any depth chart from this spring, but wasn’t last season’s starting D vs OSU in the opener made up of 9 first year transfers? I’m sure IU will have a lot again this season, but will be hard to top 9.

Reactions: red hornet
OurLads is generally pretty good at staying accurate on depth charts. I use it when looking at incoming transfers from other schools and to see where transfers out are on the depth chart for their new school.

OurLads is generally pretty good at staying accurate on depth charts. I use it when looking at incoming transfers from other schools and to see where transfers out are on the depth chart for their new school.

I had Ourlads queued up to link, glad to see you already stuck it in here BRCB.

Two thirds of our starters are new guys which is even higher than Prime Football University (Boulder). I trust in Cignetti to get the team to follow his philosophy but that's a lot of culture work and with most of the guys coming from G5 we'll see how much they cycle through guys. 2nd string is by far more returning Hoosiers and that feels good that guys heard what Cigs preached and decided it was worth it to be a backup on paper.

Two thirds of our starters are new guys which is even higher than Prime Football University (Boulder). I trust in Cignetti to get the team to follow his philosophy but that's a lot of culture work and with most of the guys coming from G5 we'll see how much they cycle through guys. 2nd string is by far more returning Hoosiers and that feels good that guys heard what Cigs preached and decided it was worth it to be a backup on paper.
I hope they work hard enough to earn the starting spot; they won't automatically get a spot based on starting last season; instead, it will be based on their effort now.

I hope they work hard enough to earn the starting spot; they won't automatically get a spot based on starting last season; instead, it will be based on their effort now.
I also hope they push each other to get the starting job. I don't think last year had much of an incumbency situation though. More so the opposite; no idea who is the best talent to be starting. Hoosiers 2023:
  • 7 games to lock down the starting QB
  • RB touches were fluctuated between players like a Christmas ham
  • Our best WR averaged less than 3 catches a game through the first 7 games until he popped off for a 6/84/1 to finish the season
The O-line was the only thing that had any semblance of continuity on offense, no wonder Bostad is back. Our secondary couldn't keep a solid rotation either with injuries. I think a confident coaching staff that knows their players will make a huge difference in what we've seen from Hoosier football and I guess that's what trips me up a little when projecting the ceiling for this season. That along with the aforementioned lower level players.

Last edited:
On my unofficial depth chart I have from offense; Katic, Smith and McCulley (?). (not sure McCulley was a starter.)
On defense; Carr, Burris and Toomer.
The our lads chart cited the Herald Times.
8 Transfers to start on offense. (10 transfers in top 22).
7 Transfers to start on defense. (9 transfers in top 22).
8/11 is 72%
7/11 is 63%
19/44 is 43%
The returning production metrics have to be low.
Then again the portal changed all that.

We’ll have to prove Top 5 talent on the field.
WR room could be Top 3, especially considering the depth.

In all honesty, with the coaching change, IU was probably pretty standard with the number of guys hitting the portal. New coaches or coaches that have completed a first season are likely going to have higher numbers hit the portal.
Just by the portal tracking, Big Ten looks like this when it comes to guys who entered the portal:

Illinois - 22
Indiana - 39
Iowa - 13
Maryland - 13
Michigan - 17
Michigan St. - 39
Minnesota - 18
Nebraska -9
Northwestern - 12
Ohio State - 25
Oregon - 20
Penn State - 13
Purdue - 28
Rutgers - 15
UCLA - 17
USC - 29
Washington - 29
Wisconsin - 23

Not surprising that most of the teams with higher numbers are those with brand new coaches or coaches just completing a 1st year.

We may be a bit more unusual in the number of players we brought in from the new coach’s former school at 13.
Washington hired Jedd Fisch from Arizona and 11 players came with him, including former IU player Jordan Grier.

Our "players" to open the season against Ohio State last year (according to participation report and stats):

Nick Toomer - DB
Noah Pierre - DB
Josh Sanguinetti - DB
Louis Moore - DB - gone
Jamari Sharp - DB
Kobee Minor - DB - gone
Phillip Dunnam - Db - gone

Andre Carter - DL - gone
LeDarrius Cox - DL - gone
Philip Blidi - DL - gone

Jacob Mangum-Farrar - LB
Lanell Carr - LB
Aaron Casey - LB - gone

Zach Carpenter - OL - gone
Mike Katic - OL
Carter Smith - OL
Khalil Benson - OL - gone
Matthew Bedford - OL - gone

Brendan Sorsby - QB - gone
Tayven Jackson - QB

Jaylin Lucas - RB - gone
Josh Henderson - RB - gone
Christian Turner - RB - gone
Trent Howland - gone

James Bomba - TE
Brad Archer - TE - gone
Aaron Steinfeldt - TE - gone

Cam Camper - WR - gone
EJ Williams - WR
Duquece Carter - WR - gone
Donavan McCulley - WR
Andison Coby - WR
Kamryn Perry - WR - gone

Last edited:
Our "players" to open the season against Ohio State last year (according to participation report and stats):

Nick Toomer - DB
Noah Pierre - DB
Josh Sanguinetti - DB
Louis Moore - DB - gone
Jamari Sharp - DB
Kobee Minor - DB - gone

Andre Carter - DL - gone
Philip Blidi - DL - gone

Jacob Mangum-Farrar - LB
Lanell Carr - LB
Aaron Casey - LB - gone

Mike Katic - OL
Carter Smith - OL

Tayven Jackson - QB

Jaylin Lucas - RB - gone
Trent Howland - gone

James Bomba - TE
Brad Archer - TE - gone

Cam Camper - WR
EJ Williams - WR
Donavan McCulley - WR
Andison Coby - WR
Kamryn Perry - WR - gone
Cam Camper is now at Boise State.

Nick Toomer - DB
Noah Pierre - DB
Josh Sanguinetti - DB
Louis Moore - DB - gone
Jamari Sharp - DB
Kobee Minor - DB - gone

Andre Carter - DL - gone
Philip Blidi - DL - gone

Jacob Mangum-Farrar - LB
Lanell Carr - LB
Aaron Casey - LB - gone

Mike Katic - OL
Carter Smith - OL

Tayven Jackson - QB

Jaylin Lucas - RB - gone
Trent Howland - gone

James Bomba - TE
Brad Archer - TE - gone

Cam Camper - WR - gone
EJ Williams - WR
Donavan McCulley - WR
Andison Coby - WR
Kamryn Perry - WR - gone
It’s kinda crazy where college football is in 2024.

Nick Toomer - DB
Noah Pierre - DB
Josh Sanguinetti - DB
Louis Moore - DB - gone
Jamari Sharp - DB
Kobee Minor - DB - gone

Andre Carter - DL - gone
Philip Blidi - DL - gone

Jacob Mangum-Farrar - LB
Lanell Carr - LB
Aaron Casey - LB - gone

Mike Katic - OL
Carter Smith - OL

Tayven Jackson - QB

Jaylin Lucas - RB - gone
Trent Howland - gone

James Bomba - TE
Brad Archer - TE - gone

Cam Camper - WR - gone
EJ Williams - WR
Donavan McCulley - WR
Andison Coby - WR
Kamryn Perry - WR - gone
20/37 = 54% gone … 20/44 = 45% … CCC cleaned house.

20/37 = 54% gone … 20/44 = 45% … CCC cleaned house.
We lost some guys but the vast majority were not solidified starters. Some were walkons. And, I suspect we actually upgraded talent in slots.
I’m looking at the transfers out and only 12 of the 39 names went to another P4 program. There are some who never found homes.

If accurate, it’s sorta surprising to me how both 1st teams are almost exclusively transfers while both 2nd teams are very heavy on returning players. I remember the days when getting recruited over was a thing, but this portal deal where you can bring in a whole new offense and defense every year is bizarre. I have to really admire and applaud the guys that stayed and are willing to be backups.

If accurate, it’s sorta surprising to me how both 1st teams are almost exclusively transfers while both 2nd teams are very heavy on returning players. I remember the days when getting recruited over was a thing, but this portal deal where you can bring in a whole new offense and defense every year is bizarre. I have to really admire and applaud the guys that stayed and are willing to be backups.
This new turnover era will put a premium on coach-TEACHERS, and will expose salesmen who can’t teach.

I am sure coach Cignetti told players if they didn't care about name on the front of their jersey to leave because they didn't care enough about Indiana.

Reactions: 76-1 and red hornet
The our lads chart cited the Herald Times.
8 Transfers to start on offense. (10 transfers in top 22).
7 Transfers to start on defense. (9 transfers in top 22).
8/11 is 72%
7/11 is 63%
19/44 is 43%
The returning production metrics have to be low.
Then again the portal changed all that.

We’ll have to prove Top 5 talent on the field.
WR room could be Top 3, especially considering the depth.
3 of the top 10 returning BIG receivers could be good enough for 1st, overall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT