ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Comments from Hillman & Evans

I don’t disagree with what Hillman and Evan said. But it shouldn’t be forgotten that players now can take their ball and go home because they’re unhappy or go somewhere else because they can be paid more money. Think about the clown show at Northwestern that included Xavier Johnson.. I imagine Woody is pretty unhappy with all the babysitting that he hast to do.
Who cares if they leave.

Johnson will be starting next game. Book it
I agree, and X isn't even one Woody needs to worry about transferring.

I feel bad for Woodson. The way it sounds, he's about to get run out of town with no hope in sight. A lot of people on here probably aren't old enough to have witnessed his playing days. I like Mike, as a person and as "one of us" whose playing ability provided us with many a cold winter's night filled with warm pleasure. It a tough job, but that's why it's pays so well. Even fisherman don't like to cut bait unless they absolutely have to. Take the money and run, Mike. Run as fast and as far as you can without looking back.

I really disagree with your response. I saw nothing suggesting paranoia. And this was much more than a loss. This was embarrassment on a national level. The quality of our play in one game will be forgotten, but the actions of X will be remembered and episodically referred to for a life time.
Johnson should be suspended for at the least one game. We should now see what Woodson is made of. My thoughts, he will do nothing, that's his only constant this season. Oh yeah! we held them to 66 pts.

I feel bad for Woodson. The way it sounds, he's about to get run out of town with no hope in sight. A lot of people on here probably aren't old enough to have witnessed his playing days. I like Mike, as a person and as "one of us" whose playing ability provided us with many a cold winter's night filled with warm pleasure. It a tough job, but that's why it's pays so well. Even fisherman don't like to cut bait unless they absolutely have to. Take the money and run, Mike. Run as fast and as far as you can without looking back.
Not sure why you feel bad for him he basically begged for this job. Sure he was a great player but so were alot of guys who played at IU. I mean if he did not think he could cut it he should not have taken the job in the first place. You should not get any special pass on your evaluation just because you played at IU 40 years ago. I mean people are no longer going to have the patience they did with crean because the program is not starting from the dead with 0 scholorship players. And plus with the portal it should not take you 4 to 5 years to get things turned around if you are a good coach.

Reactions: iulb and DANC
Johnson should be suspended for at the least one game. We should now see what Woodson is made of. My thoughts, he will do nothing, that's his only constant this season. Oh yeah! we held them to 66 pts.
I bet he will not get suspended at all. Maybe he will but I will kind of be shocked if Woodson does anything.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU

I Rember Mike as a player even had some opportunities to see him play at Assembly Hall. He is one of my all-time favorites. My wish is he would practice what he learned as a young player.

Reactions: kmathum
Thank God IU didn't hire Alford.
Dumb, why? No one knows how he would have performed at IU. He would have recruited better - Indiana advantage. Guarantee he would have got shooters. He may have a couple of final fours - you just don't know. But in hindsight (easy I know) I would have given him a shot. How could he be any worse than Crean, Miller or Woodson. By the way Woodson is the worst in terms of fundamental basketball.

I think alot of these former IU guys like Hillman who were screaming to have an IU guy hired were expecting a hard nosed tough coach. I think they are now realizing they did not get what they thought they were going to get. That is why they are now kind of turning on Woodson
He cut his coaching chops in the NBA. There’s no such thing as a hard-nosed tough NBA coach. The players make more than the coaches do.

Reactions: kmathum
Not sure why you feel bad for him he basically begged for this job. Sure he was a great player but so were alot of guys who played at IU. I mean if he did not think he could cut it he should not have taken the job in the first place. You should not get any special pass on your evaluation just because you played at IU 40 years ago. I mean people are no longer going to have the patience they did with crean because the program is not starting from the dead with 0 scholorship players. And plus with the portal it should not take you 4 to 5 years to get things turned around if you are a good coach.
He “basically begged for the job?”. I never got that impression. What makes you say that? I don’t believe he was the first choice, but I can’t tell you who was, if not. I always thought some influential players talked him into the challenge.

Bottom line is guys who played with him demanded him and got him. But most seem silent now. Thad never recruited at all that was a lie risley was sold i guess. Thad had nothing to do with recruiting at all. The problem is kitchel thinks woodson is still the guy he played with and he is not. Woodson resembles nothing at all like bob knight or that system.

I get it they thought their buddy could restore 1980 glory but they just live in the past cause he coaches nothing like that at all.

“Thad knows the college game and he’s got Indiana ties,” Risley said. “I think between the two of them, they can recruit like hell. Mike is a revered former player and Thad knows how to go out and get the recruiting job done. And Mike is going to have all the help he wants from all of us.”

That is a leg up Woodson has on every other coach that Indiana has hired. The player alumni base has never been as united in the past 20 years as it will be for him.

“There’s nobody not thrilled about this in the IU family,” Risley said. “I think we’re all thrilled to get a Mike in there as a former player, a former member of the team, a member of the family. In 20 years, it’s ridiculous it took this long to do it.”

They think Woodson, out of all the options even among former IU players, is the best fit to turn it around for a number of reasons. For one, he was one of the most intellectual players his teammates played with and one of the best shooters, even at a time when there was no 3-point line. And he knew how to relate to teammates then as they believe he can relate to players now.

“He was a great leader,” Kitchel said. “He was obviously a great player. He was the best player in the country before he got hurt in 1980. He demanded a lot from himself. He demanded a lot from his teammates, that everybody does their job. He’s very role oriented. He believes that everybody has a role and everybody’s role is just as important. The guy who sets the screens is just as important as the guy scoring 20 points per game.”

Reactions: .Gerdis
I think alot of these former IU guys like Hillman who were screaming to have an IU guy hired were expecting a hard nosed tough coach. I think they are now realizing they did not get what they thought they were going to get. That is why they are now kind of turning on Woodson
We need another Dakick butt chewing. I'm serious. It worked last season when we started like shit in the B1G. People knock on Dan and reasons rightfully so, but no one wants IU to win more than him.

Reactions: kmathum and DANC
I don’t disagree with what Hillman and Evan said. But it shouldn’t be forgotten that players now can take their ball and go home because they’re unhappy or go somewhere else because they can be paid more money. Think about the clown show at Northwestern that included Xavier Johnson.. I imagine Woody is pretty unhappy with all the babysitting that he hast to do.
It’s a goddamn miracle all these other coaches can get their players to play hard.

Bottom line is guys who played with him demanded him and got him. But most seem silent now. Thad never recruited at all that was a lie risley was sold i guess. Thad had nothing to do with recruiting at all. The problem is kitchel thinks woodson is still the guy he played with and he is not. Woodson resembles nothing at all like bob knight or that system.

I get it they thought their buddy could restore 1980 glory but they just live in the past cause he coaches nothing like that at all.

“Thad knows the college game and he’s got Indiana ties,” Risley said. “I think between the two of them, they can recruit like hell. Mike is a revered former player and Thad knows how to go out and get the recruiting job done. And Mike is going to have all the help he wants from all of us.”

That is a leg up Woodson has on every other coach that Indiana has hired. The player alumni base has never been as united in the past 20 years as it will be for him.

“There’s nobody not thrilled about this in the IU family,” Risley said. “I think we’re all thrilled to get a Mike in there as a former player, a former member of the team, a member of the family. In 20 years, it’s ridiculous it took this long to do it.”

They think Woodson, out of all the options even among former IU players, is the best fit to turn it around for a number of reasons. For one, he was one of the most intellectual players his teammates played with and one of the best shooters, even at a time when there was no 3-point line. And he knew how to relate to teammates then as they believe he can relate to players now.

“He was a great leader,” Kitchel said. “He was obviously a great player. He was the best player in the country before he got hurt in 1980. He demanded a lot from himself. He demanded a lot from his teammates, that everybody does their job. He’s very role oriented. He believes that everybody has a role and everybody’s role is just as important. The guy who sets the screens is just as important as the guy scoring 20 points per game.”
Thanks for posting this.

Yes, the hire was about the IU basketball family. Coaching success (ie on court performance) was expected, but it was assumed that it would require contributions from many, especially Matta and Fife.

So, really two things this hire was supposed to do: Heal the fractured IU “family” and the on court stuff.

If the wins aren’t there, and we are looking at a new staff at some point, hopefully the IU family part doesn’t come out of it being more fractured.

Reactions: DANC and BigMobe
Thanks for posting this.

Yes, the hire was about the IU basketball family. Coaching success (ie on court performance) was expected, but it was assumed that it would require contributions from many, especially Matta and Fife.

So, really two things this hire was supposed to do: Heal the fractured IU “family” and the on court stuff.

If the wins aren’t there, and we are looking at a new staff at some point, hopefully the IU family part doesn’t come out of it being more fractured.
I am becoming more and more convinced by the day we hired Woodson simply to make Buckner and May happy. There is no other logical reason to have made that hire. None. Woodson could leave after the season and still be viewed in a good light. But if he stays and things get ugly he will not be remembered as a player it will be as another failed coach.

Reactions: Cavanagh
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT