ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting Comments from Hillman & Evans

Alford would have been a better hire if the absolute plan was to get an IU guy. His tournament success is lackluster, yet he’s won nearly 700 games. The Alford name resonates with high school coaches across the state. Not saying he would have been a homerun hire, yet if the plan was to pacify former players, then this would have been a much better hire than Woodson.

Alford would have been a better hire if the absolute plan was to get an IU guy. His tournament success is lackluster, yet he’s won nearly 700 games. The Alford name resonates with high school coaches across the state. Not saying he would have been a homerun hire, yet if the plan was to pacify former players, then this would have been a much better hire than Woodson.
He has a track record of making three sweet sixeteens which has been the IU ceiling for over 20 years. I think Woodson's ceiling was last year in the round of 32. I most certainly think he would have been better than Woodson but I also do not think we would be making any final fours with him either.

Alford has already been handed the keys to basketball power and blew it. And UCLA has had more success than IU over the past 30 years. IU has been shitty since before RMK was fired.

Agree, this is a bad sign. I wonder how much Woody lives in a vacuum. Think this type of stuff gets back to him given it is coming from 2 former players?

Coyle is an amateur loudmouth. I’m not sure why respected guys like Hillman and Evans or even Leary try to help the dude. His whole schtick is embarrassing.

When Evans questioned if he’d even be recruited by this staff, that’s all I could take. I don’t know who’s next, but Woody and his little band of misfit recruiters need to go away.

Evans was spot on in every thing he said, moreso than Hillman . And Coyle talks too much.
Listening now. They are 100% right whent they say there is no shooting and NO accountability. Woodson is the furthest thing from the old IU if you ask me. If I did not know he went to IU I would just guess he is any old coach from somewhere else. No culture. No pride. Sloppy play, etc.

They say he is using his 40 year old nba sub patterens and will not change. Hillman says basically no chance we make the NCAA.

Last edited:
What’s surprising to me is that here our coach came up through the BK School of Hard Knocks, yet he doesn’t demand that same toughness from his players. Does he not understand what worked, like Painter apparently does? Has the NBA game soured his thought process? Does he not realize how difficult the college game is to teach to more inexperienced youth?

That podcast was tough to listen to with the simultaneously competing other banter. What was that production snafu all about? Are these podcasts frequently like that?

I’ll never understand the mindset of “we have to hire an IU guy.”

Knight was an OSU guy.
Smith was a Kansas guy.
Wooden was a Purdue guy.
K was a West Point guy.

I have nothing against hiring an IU guy. But that seems like a tiebreaker kind of qualification.

You hire the right guy - and if you only consider alums, you’ve unnecessarily limited yourself from getting him.

Agree. That's why the Dusty May talk is premature. When the time comes to get the next coach after Woody, don't get the best "IU Guy." Just get the best guy, period!

Woody has shown that getting a former IU guy means nothing. Even if he was having greater success, what he's doing resembles nothing like the old IU program.

I think we're so far removed from RMK at this point that people no longer care about an "IU Guy" anymore. They just want a good program.

Thank God IU didn't hire Alford.

Reactions: jet812
What’s surprising to me is that here our coach came up through the BK School of Hard Knocks, yet he doesn’t demand that same toughness from his players. Does he not understand what worked, like Painter apparently does? Has the NBA game soured his thought process? Does he not realize how difficult the college game is to teach to more inexperienced youth?

That podcast was tough to listen to with the simultaneously competing other banter. What was that production snafu all about? Are these podcasts frequently like that?
You have no clue what he demands or doesn't so quit acting like you do. Everything in your post is assumption based on watching the team a few hours a week, and more so a winning or losing record. We lost, except it and move on and quit trying to find blame in every nook and cranny. The fault lies in the L on the record, not your paranoid ignorant assumptions....

You have no clue what he demands or doesn't so quit acting like you do. Everything in your post is assumption based on watching the team a few hours a week, and more so a winning or losing record. We lost, except it and move on and quit trying to find blame in every nook and cranny. The fault lies in the L on the record, not your paranoid ignorant assumptions....
Dumb. As in “except it” dumb.

I see enough to know Woodson doesn't demand a poorly performing player sit his ass on the bench as a motivational tool. That is the toughness of a coach I speak of. Did you even listen to the podcast to know what Evans and Hillman kept saying, that Woodson doesn't hold players accountable out of fear they'll transfer if pissed off? Do you have a permanent bur lodged up your butt or just what? Have you ever considered tweezers?

Agree, this is a bad sign. I wonder how much Woody lives in a vacuum. Think this type of stuff gets back to him given it is coming from 2 former players?
Head coaches tune this stuff out. They have to. They are always being criticized and second-guessed. Head coaches are confident that they know what they are doing.

I think we're so far removed from RMK at this point that people no longer care about an "IU Guy" anymore. They just want a good program.
It's been so long the times have changed. Knight's coaching methodology would no longer be accepted. It's a new paradigm in the way of thinking. Demanding coaches are dying dinosaurs stuck in today's changing climate of correctness. I'll say it again, IU missed the boat with Alford and now his ship has sailed. Woodson was already coasting on Easy St. when IU pulled him over for a quick fix. He's been too many years pampered by the NBA good life.

Okay then, Lou Watson was the last "IU guy" we had before Woodson was plucked from the potential coaching ranks of "IU guys." That one didn't work out so well, either. If IU isn't careful, we'll finally get a good coach, only to have him be lured away to a higher profile program. Yes, it's been that long, folks!

Agree. That's why the Dusty May talk is premature. When the time comes to get the next coach after Woody, don't get the best "IU Guy." Just get the best guy, period!

Woody has shown that getting a former IU guy means nothing. Even if he was having greater success, what he's doing resembles nothing like the old IU program.

RMK wasn't even an IU guy. IU is supposed to be in a position where they can get a proven head coach. If the coach isn't cutting it after 3-4 years, go find a proven commodity and pay him: if we have learned anything since RMK, it is this.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU

I think alot of these former IU guys like Hillman who were screaming to have an IU guy hired were expecting a hard nosed tough coach. I think they are now realizing they did not get what they thought they were going to get. That is why they are now kind of turning on Woodson

Hind site on coaching hires always leads to opinions that cannot be proven.
My disappointment with Woody is that he does not seem to hold players accountable. I thought the X initial speeding incident was too lenient and I suspect this will be too lenient as well.
I feel X should be off the team. This was a national embarrassment to all of us that graduated from IU.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeester and Hubbub
I see enough to know Woodson doesn't demand a poorly performing player sit his ass on the bench as a motivational tool. That is the toughness of a coach I speak of. Did you even listen to the podcast to know what Evans and Hillman kept saying, that Woodson doesn't hold players accountable out of fear they'll transfer if pissed off? Do you have a permanent bur lodged up your butt or just what? Have you ever considered tweezers?
That just doesn't make sense. If a player threatens to transfer, let him transfer. Good luck. Who is going to take any of IUs players if the reason they are leaving is that Woodson is too demanding?

Reactions: kmathum
I really disagree with your response. I saw nothing suggesting paranoia. And this was much more than a loss. This was embarrassment on a national level. The quality of our play in one game will be forgotten, but the actions of X will be remembered and episodically referred to for a life time.

I really disagree with your response. I saw nothing suggesting paranoia. And this was much more than a loss. This was embarrassment on a national level. The quality of our play in one game will be forgotten, but the actions of X will be remembered and episodically referred to for a life time.
Every opposing coach is also going to have trash-talking and harrassing X and getting inside his head as part of their game plan, if they didn't already. I expect we'll see him with several more ejections if he continues to play.

I’ll never understand the mindset of “we have to hire an IU guy.”

Knight was an OSU guy.
Smith was a Kansas guy.
Wooden was a Purdue guy.
K was a West Point guy.

I have nothing against hiring an IU guy. But that seems like a tiebreaker kind of qualification.

You hire the right guy - and if you only consider alums, you’ve unnecessarily limited yourself from getting him.
you don't need to hire an IU guy. If he does things the right way and wins, he becomes an IU guy.

That just doesn't make sense. If a player threatens to transfer, let him transfer. Good luck. Who is going to take any of IUs players if the reason they are leaving is that Woodson is too demanding?
That's what the two former IU players said, coaches are afraid to upset players out of fear they'll transfer. They said, let 'em transfer then, is what coaches like Woodson should do. The trouble is he doesn't, out of fear losing them.

Reactions: kmathum
That's what the two former IU players said, coaches are afraid to upset players out of fear they'll transfer. They said, let 'em transfer then, is what coaches like Woodson should do. The trouble is he doesn't, out of fear losing them.
Johnson will be starting next game. Book it

I don’t disagree with what Hillman and Evan said. But it shouldn’t be forgotten that players now can take their ball and go home because they’re unhappy or go somewhere else because they can be paid more money. Think about the clown show at Northwestern that included Xavier Johnson.. I imagine Woody is pretty unhappy with all the babysitting that he hast to do.

Nobody can transfer mid-season. If they still think the grass is greener when the portal opens, good luck to them. Again, if I'm a coach I'm not real keen on picking up a player who thinks Mike Woodson is too strict or demanding.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT