ADVERTISEMENT

Intelligent discussion of what's going on with young men in the U.S.

I saw a commercial. Sounds like you need it. Gravy seals often have that problem.

Last edited:

Long, but good discussion on the issues facing young men and boys today.

One of the crazy stats from the beginning that sounds superficial but kinda blew me away: on dating apps, women spend most of their time just interested in the top guys. So if you have an app with 50 men and 50 women, all 50 women are going to be focused on the top 4 or 5 guys, with the other 90% of men getting no attention. Women are the anti- @larsIU
There are some good nuggets of information in that video, but overall the discussion is part of the problem, not the solution. The discussion about themselves, their outstanding accomplishments, and their alcoholism, lost me. They used the word “empathy” way too much.

There is indeed a male problem in this country, it stems from a myriad of factors including no fathers, primary schools using girls as the behavior model, social focus on collaboration, obedience, and conformity, social focus on process more than results, and more.

Here is a pretty good link.

There are some good nuggets of information in that video, but overall the discussion is part of the problem, not the solution. The discussion about themselves, their outstanding accomplishments, and their alcoholism, lost me. They used the word “empathy” way too much.

There is indeed a male problem in this country, it stems from a myriad of factors including no fathers, primary schools using girls as the behavior model, social focus on collaboration, obedience, and conformity, social focus on process more than results, and more.

Here is a pretty good link.

Your aversion to empathy being discussed or practiced is weird.

They're right that one of the roadblocks to a solution is the lack of empathy for men among a portion of society for whom empathy is a driving factor in their actions.

Your aversion to empathy being discussed or practiced is weird.

They're right that one of the roadblocks to a solution is the lack of empathy for men among a portion of society for whom empathy is a driving factor in their actions.
I think empathy is overrated. Empathy is an impediment to problem recognition and problem solving. What’s needed is independent and objective judgement. Empathy does not lead to objectivity.

I think empathy is overrated. Empathy is an impediment to problem recognition and problem solving. What’s needed is independent and objective judgement. Empathy does not lead to objectivity.
I'm more Humean: "Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office than to serve and obey them."

Reason is inert without desire to drive it. Desire and motivation is driven by emotions. Empathy, which can lead to sympathy, can provide that desire.

In other words, in the art of rhetoric, persuasion, and politics, you normally need to get your target to feel for your subject before they'll even use their judgment to recognize a problem.

I'm more Humean: "Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office than to serve and obey them."

Reason is inert without desire to drive it. Desire and motivation is driven by emotions. Empathy, which can lead to sympathy, can provide that desire.

In other words, in the art of rhetoric, persuasion, and politics, you normally need to get your target to feel for your subject before they'll even use their judgment to recognize a problem.
I think I agree with the notion of reason being a means to achieve my own passion, desire etc. But I don’t see what empathy has to do with that.

I also agree that encouraging others to empathize with my client is an important part of advocacy. But that is 180 from what I’m suggesting. If I am to be effective in advocating for my client, or simply trying to solve their problems, need to be objective and even judgmental. I think empathy is counterproductive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT