ADVERTISEMENT

Injustice

newIUfan

Benchwarmer
Aug 3, 2012
Injustice is when there is not an equal application of an agreed upon set of rules. The Hoosiers have just experienced that event. When these rules were put in place the concern was a 4-0 IU team (or similar program) that would have avoided Michigan, PSU, and O$U and would be in the Championship game instead of a 5-1 or 6-1 O$U that lost to Penn State (or dropped a similar game). Now that the tables have been turned they changed the rules. This is like playing a board game where one side wants to change the rules because they are losing. We have all experienced that event (that person changes the rules would be a spoiled brat). It has negative percussions for all involved. Except for the Hoosiers wonderful season, this has been a dumpster fire for college football. This has just added fuel to the fire.

Injustice is when there is not an equal application of an agreed upon set of rules. The Hoosiers have just experienced that event. When these rules were put in place the concern was a 4-0 IU team (or similar program) that would have avoided Michigan, PSU, and O$U and would be in the Championship game instead of a 5-1 or 6-1 O$U that lost to Penn State (or dropped a similar game). Now that the tables have been turned they changed the rules. This is like playing a board game where one side wants to change the rules because they are losing. We have all experienced that event (that person changes the rules would be a spoiled brat). It has negative percussions for all involved. Except for the Hoosiers wonderful season, this has been a dumpster fire for college football. This has just added fuel to the fire.

Let’s put it this way:

Flip the two school names in this exact same scenario. Guess what would have happened?

Korrupt Kevin and friends would have gotten to a mic as quickly as they could to hold up their 6 game document.
That is absolutely what would have happened.

My only problem with this whole situation was when you saw all of the cancellations happening why not allow teams to place replacement games or eliminate the 6 game minimum. You waited to see who was going to play then changed the rule. I hope Kevin Warren has a better year next year. I know it has been a tough year but I have no idea on where he stands on anything. I also know you can’t over rule presidents especially your first year.

I don't get the OP's seeming victim complex. Beyond crying out, "but the [arbitrary] rules!", how have you been wronged? I know I'm biased, but the equitable solution is that Ohio State should represent our division given that even were we to play TTUN or Illinois or anyone else and lose 80-0, we'd still be East Champions.

More to the point, I've never seen so many people willing to cut off their noses to spite their faces. You do realize that each B1G school will get something like half-a-million dollars if we go to the CFP, right? I bet the Indiana alumni (i.e., the "true" Hoosiers), including those on this board, have a different take than those who just like to root for IU sports without having meaningful connection to the university. It's like being on the freaking Nebraska boards and listening to all the Walmart Huskers (a thing?) demand to leave the Big 10 because they don't give a shit how being part of the conference increases the value of a Nebraska degree, gives the university more resources, and literally pays for some of their folks to attend school.

But whatever. I like Indiana football -- and I really like Coach Allen -- and I'll be pulling for you against whomever you play next week and, hopefully, on New Year's Day.

I don't get the OP's seeming victim complex. Beyond crying out, "but the [arbitrary] rules!", how have you been wronged? I know I'm biased, but the equitable solution is that Ohio State should represent our division given that even were we to play TTUN or Illinois or anyone else and lose 80-0, we'd still be East Champions.

More to the point, I've never seen so many people willing to cut off their noses to spite their faces. You do realize that each B1G school will get something like half-a-million dollars if we go to the CFP, right? I bet the Indiana alumni (i.e., the "true" Hoosiers), including those on this board, have a different take than those who just like to root for IU sports without having meaningful connection to the university. It's like being on the freaking Nebraska boards and listening to all the Walmart Huskers (a thing?) demand to leave the Big 10 because they don't give a shit how being part of the conference increases the value of a Nebraska degree, gives the university more resources, and literally pays for some of their folks to attend school.

But whatever. I like Indiana football -- and I really like Coach Allen -- and I'll be pulling for you against whomever you play next week and, hopefully, on New Year's Day.

Wal-Mart Huskers...lol

Be completely honest in your response: flip flop the names. Don’t change the scenario.

What’s your answer?

You clowns deserve what you get! Nebraska tried to warn the morons at the Big10 about their stupid rules and the late start! No one listens to us and instead laugh d at us.

Alvarez and his minions caved to the Michigan idiot president, who ran the bus off the cliff; and they run like cowards now. ...Heart issues from COVID, my ass!

Big10 clowns laughed at us for wanting to play UT-Chattanooga, when coward Alvarez and his team bailed. UT-C has the the same COVID protocols as the BIG conference! The entire freaking BIG and national media laughed, saying “rules are rules!” and, “Nebraska, go and sit in your place.”

And that asshat buckeye fan above, go ask your coach how much he appreciates the Husker’s support. We did all the heavy lifting to get a season going, including lawsuits, and we are being spit on! History will judge that Nebraska has been eminently reasonable.

Oh by the way, Kevin freaking-moron-asshat Warren needs to go! The Big10 conference is a laughing stock while he hides in his Minnesota cabin! 🙄🤦🏽‍♂️🤬🤮

If you did even a cursory google, you’d know it’s $140k per school if OSU makes the CFP (over an NY6.) That’s non-zero, but it’s not the blood money OSU should be lording over the conference. IU got screwed on behalf of an okay OSU team and 1/14th of a year of Brohm’s contract doesn’t change that.

Except if you lost to TTUN, you wouldn't have made the CCG. 6-1 is still better than 5-1.

Reactions: 76-1
You clowns deserve what you get! Nebraska tried to warn the morons at the Big10 about their stupid rules and the late start! No one listens to us and instead laugh d at us.

Alvarez and his minions caved to the Michigan idiot president, who ran the bus off the cliff; and they run like cowards now. ...Heart issues from COVID, my ass!

Big10 clowns laughed at us for wanting to play UT-Chattanooga, when coward Alvarez and his team bailed. UT-C has the the same COVID protocols as the BIG conference! The entire freaking BIG and national media laughed, saying “rules are rules!” and, “Nebraska, go and sit in your place.”

And that asshat buckeye fan above, go ask your coach how much he appreciates the Husker’s support. We did all the heavy lifting to get a season going, including lawsuits, and we are being spit on! History will judge that Nebraska has been eminently reasonable.

Oh by the way, Kevin freaking-moron-asshat Warren needs to go! The Big10 conference is a laughing stock while he hides in his Minnesota cabin! 🙄🤦🏽‍♂️🤬🤮
Exhibit A as to why so many of us did not want Nebraska in the B1G. Hopefully they all get this worked up and successfully force the Huskers to secede. OTOH, it was nice seeing them kick Purdue's ass last week. I can't hate anyone completely who helps add to the Boilers' futility.

Glad you will be pulling for IU, but I WON'T be pulling for OSU no matter who you play. Ever again!

But the point you fail to address is that if OSU beats either Iowa or Northwestern, it is undefeated and in the CFP. If they Buckeyes lose to either, they are most likely out. The B1G could have honored its rule and neither the Bucks nor any other program would have suffered harm. Instead, it sold its honor to placate the lead dog. Not only Indiana, but the rest of the sled team got a clear lesson in who really matters. My hope is that someday Kevin Warren's ass is on a hot seat, and OSU is the only one in his corner.

I really think they needed to stick to the principle of 6 games as the threshold for an adequate # to constitute a season (or “body of work”) to play in the championship game.

The reason is not just because it matters who you beat head to head and whether the last game of the season would have changed the standings. This is the whole focus of the argument but it misses an important point. You still have to play the games and take the chances that come along with it. This could include:
- Key players getting injured (just as likely to happen regardless of opponent quality)
- Any second half ejections for targeting
- Exposing more film for opponents

Taking it to the extreme why even play the games? Could’ve let OSU sit the entire season because their preseason ranking predicted they would beat everyone, so just slot them right into the championship game.

I really think they needed to stick to the principle of 6 games as the threshold for an adequate # to constitute a season (or “body of work”) to play in the championship game.

The reason is not just because it matters who you beat head to head and whether the last game of the season would have changed the standings. This is the whole focus of the argument but it misses an important point. You still have to play the games and take the chances that come along with it. This could include:
- Key players getting injured (just as likely to happen regardless of opponent quality)
- Any second half ejections for targeting
- Exposing more film for opponents

Taking it to the extreme why even play the games? Could’ve let OSU sit the entire season because their preseason ranking predicted they would beat everyone, so just slot them right into the championship game.
So true...well said.

Reactions: IUFan4Lifer
My only problem with this whole situation was when you saw all of the cancellations happening why not allow teams to place replacement games or eliminate the 6 game minimum. You waited to see who was going to play then changed the rule. I hope Kevin Warren has a better year next year. I know it has been a tough year but I have no idea on where he stands on anything. I also know you can’t over rule presidents especially your first year.
I said this when the Big 10 Announced its' schedule. Given the time they started the Season. they left no room for cancellations and re-schedules. Everything would have to be perfect for 8 weeks and nobody could get COVID. Had they started the Season in September, and ended it Thanksgiving Weekend, they would have at least had a 2 Week Window before the Championship Game to make the adjustments.

Reactions: Palmbeachhoosier
I have been saying since this talk started that it isn't really about letting OSU play in the title game. It is about screwing Indiana over. None of this is either teams fault, but the lack of planning for contingencies by the Big Ten leaders, let this situation occur.

Per the previous rules, Indiana should go to the Big Ten title game.

OSU could have been considered for the College Football Playoff Committee. They do not have a minimum game requirement. If OSU believes it needs another game to make them look better, then let them find another team. An in conference team or change the rules for an out of conference team.

Don't change the rules to screw Indiana.

But, it appears the Indiana administration rolled over for their Big Ten masters in the unanimous vote to allow OSU to replace them in the Big Ten title game. So, I guess I shouldn't feel sorry for Indiana.

How do you feel about being OSUs and the Big Tens little bitch. :) Sure you can counter with more money, unity, etc. I guess the money is needed to balance AD budgets more than integrity. Based on the unanimous vote I guess Nebraska falls into this category also. But, we all saw how the Nebraska administration was dragged over the coals by the media and the other conference members when they didn't fall in line.

I get all of this and if they had not played head to head and OSU won , granted a home game but they still won . It would be much harder to take. You can't discount the fact that they beat IU and who knows if Michigan was just trying to screw OSU , not that I blame them. It is what it is in a strange year. Lets celebrate what the team has done.

You guys sacrificed any right to be outraged when your program put out the statement they did.

Why doesn’t your AD just make a call to Columbus, drop his pants, bend over a chair, and ask them if they want more?

131087562_3789858534392648_5434222780626248317_n.jpg

Reactions: Sope Creek
I am not an IU fan but IU got screwed by the B1G. You do not change the rules in mid-game which is what happened.
I would be fine if they changed the rules midway thru the season but to wait until the end makes it a problem for me. Yes Osu does deserve to go by the fact they won head to head. Timing is everything you have to understand why Hoosier fans feel the way they do. You played every game to date and one team did not reach the minimum. Now you see who participants and then change the rules.

I had a text exchange with a Mississippi State grad about this. Here's how the texts read:

1. Sope sends to MSU grad the ESPN article about the BiG changing the rules.
2. MSU grad says: "They always get the breaks"
3. Sope: "Is it that obvious? We thought only Big Ten folks paid attention."
4. MSU grad: "Between them and Notre Dame, not sure which is worse."

Reactions: CC Mac and 76-1

You don't get it because you are a Buckeye fan. You have your own rules and everybody else in the conference has to bend over and take it. All for the good of Osu. Integrity and fair play has never stopped the Bucks. All hail you and your pocketbook.

Reactions: CC Mac and 76-1
Between this and the playoff committee intentionally keeping IU out of a NY6 Bowl it is obvious there are systemic biases and obstacles against the football program designed to prevent it from achieving success.

• Haha
Reactions: mattndallas
The Big Ten has now lost all credibility with members other than OSU, Wisconsin, and maybe Iowa. How can any member School Trust the Conference to negotiate a financial arrangement for them under the Umbrella of "the Conference" and not wonder if they are being treated fairly. How can they rely upon any procedure or process put into effect by the Conference or existing in the Rules or By-Laws and rely upon Conference Leadership to administer the rule and not change it? And how can they rely upon following the Rules to get a result and be rewarded for obtaining that result if the Conference is willing to change the Rule so your result is overturned thrown aside?

I had a text exchange with a Mississippi State grad about this. Here's how the texts read:

1. Sope sends to MSU grad the ESPN article about the BiG changing the rules.
2. MSU grad says: "They always get the breaks"
3. Sope: "Is it that obvious? We thought only Big Ten folks paid attention."
4. MSU grad: "Between them and Notre Dame, not sure which is worse."
I am amazed. Not at your Exchange, but discovering that Mississippi State actually has Graduates.

• Haha
Reactions: BuckeyeAlumnus
I’m sorry, but that’s incorrect. Even if we’d played and lost to TTUN, we’d still go to the CCG.
You're neither sorry, nor correct.
Go ahead and explain how 6-1 isn't a higher win percentage than 5-1. We'll wait.

EDIT: You're correct. I maintain you are not sorry though. The BIG still changed it's rules after the fact to benefit OSU, and you cant deny that.

Last edited:
A lot of people are asking if the roles were reversed would the Big Ten change its rules for Indiana Football. It's a legit question and the answer is probably not.

But I'd like to ask another question. If the league arbitrarily changed a rule and it benefited Indiana Basketball over say Rutgers Basketball how many would still be saying rules are rules and how many would be defending the Conference's decision? I promise a large chunk would be doing the latter.

I'm not saying this applies to everyone obviously but for some the feigned epistemological outrage stems from the fact that the outcome didn't turn out the way they wanted and not the conviction of deeply held philosophical precommitments.

I'm not saying I am above such fallacy or self-contradiction but I think it is fair to examine our true motivation.

We are wronged by the B1G changing the rules everyone signed off on before the start of the season. Not many Hoosier fans would say I proved this year they are better than OSU. If the conference just came out and said the were going to appoint the two best teams to play in the B1G Championship it wouldn't have been a problem. In their short sighted decision they didn't talk about the best teams making it but the teams with the best record who played at least 6 games. This isn't a victim complex but a view that rules should mean something.

OSU is good and considered by many as one of the best in the country but don't forget that they had a bye week before facing IU. OSU had the advantage of two weeks of prep, two weeks of healing, etc. IU had no breaks from games to heal any strains, bumps, or bruises heading into the OSU game. We also didn't have the luxury of prepping for OSU and putting in strategies to defeat them.

Your post shows a shocking lack of understanding about someone's point of view. Many of understand putting the best team in the B1G championship would be OSU but your arrogance blinds you to other positions.

Reactions: IU73 and td75
I am amazed. Not at your Exchange, but discovering that Mississippi State actually has Graduates.
The guy I was texting with is a lawyer for one of the most successful wholly private companies in America - based here in Atlanta. He manages two other lawyers in one of their high growth divisions. He's very, very sharp. And yes, I've seen him at work . . . done a few deals with him.

I also have a cousin whose son graduated from Mississippi State who is a landscape architect doing very well in St. Louis.

Bring those prejudices to the table with an MSU grad and be prepared to hand over your wallet. They might talk slow, and they might have an accent, but they're not dumb.

Two points.

Ahia has the same chance of getting to the CFP with ot without a BIG trophy.

There are more Walmart and Dollar store Buckeys than Walmart Cornhuskers.

Last edited:
One of the biggest issues is that the conference has a lack of leadership from the head guy - Kevin Warren.

No direction. Not a visionary. The guy is essentially a figurehead and collecting a big check. You haven’t heard jack shit from the guy since the President called him. Too busy hiding out in his home and watching his son play SEC ball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT