ADVERTISEMENT

Injuries to Holmes and Meister

Rcp65goiu

Recruit
Apr 4, 2021
I haven’t seen anything on here about them, does anyone know how serious they are? That has to be heartbreaking for Holmes to get injured in her last game at home.

Meister was holding her foot or ankle after an awkward landing. She had to be helped off. Didn't see what happened to Holmes.

Mac came down funny and was hopping on one leg. Tears with the pain (and perhaps worried it was a career ending injury). Went to the locker room but did return to the bench.
Lilly also landed funny and was in great pain holding her foot.
IU is always very secretive about injuries. Moren said they were day to day which is her normal response to injury questions.

Holmes came down awkwardly my on her injured knee and was limping. Happened in 3rd quarter and she didn't come back out on the bench until the last minute or so of the game. I thought she still looked to be limping slightly.

Some quotes from Coach Moren:

“You try like crazy to not let your mind go anywhere that it shouldn't,” Moren said of her reaction to Holmes’ injury “In that moment, your job as the coach is to make sure that your focus is on the kids that are out on the floor. And so that's what I tried to do. Again, I don't know (what to take) right now from it, emotionally, I just don't know. And so, you know, I'm going to be optimistic until they tell me differently.”

Moren confirmed postgame that trainers are evaluating Holmes’ left knee. The senior’s family is in town for the weekend, so Moren said they are allowing her some time with them before they officially evaluate her, likely on Monday.

“She certainly has had some bad luck, especially in late February,” Moren said. “We're gonna be hopeful and optimistic that it'll turn out the way that we want it to. Mack is a very, very resilient, tough kid, as we know.”

Holmes returned to the bench in the final minute of the game to a standing ovation from Assembly Hall fans. She looked to be walking normally when she headed to the free-throw line to sing IU’s alma mater, as well as honor the Hoosiers’ senior managers and practice players.

IU caught another round of bad luck with its bigs on Sunday, as backup center Lilly Meister, who played 14 minutes in relief of Holmes, also left with an ankle injury. She landed awkwardly below the basket and immediately grabbed her left leg. The sophomore was helped off by trainers back to the bench, putting minimal weight on her left ankle.

Moren said Holmes and Meister are day-to-day, and that “hopefully tomorrow they'll wake up feeling better."

“We have great medical people, medical staff that will do everything they can for both (Holmes) and Lilly to make sure that if they're available for the Big Ten Tournament, they'll be available,” Moren said.

Reactions: kkott
Scalia said that Holmes told them she was good in her post game interview. For whatever it’s worth, but if it was bad I would think she’d know.

Reactions: ptrich
Scalia said that Holmes told them she was good in her post game interview. For whatever it’s worth, but if it was bad I would think she’d know.
Hope you're right. It's amazing the injury problems that Holmes has had when we start getting ready for the post-season tourneys. She had that knee surgery during 2022 around the midway point of that season and while she came back to play, she was never anywhere close to 100 pct. She was hurt in the B1G tournament last season when she suffered a leg injury on what many have said was a dirty play by a MSU player, and she wasn't 100 pct after that including going into the NCAAs. Now we have this just as we are nearing the B1G tournament.

Meister was still limping around after the game, so if Holmes is okay to go, they are going to have to make some adjustments whenever Holmes needs a breather or has a foul issue.

Both were right in front of us from row 8. My wife immediately said that Mac banged knees with the Maryland player and while there was some awkward movement I believe that is what happened. It is always hard to know. Mac's injury against Ohio State in the BTT last year cost us that game along with not handling the press. It then cost us at least the sweet 16 last year as she was about 70% in the two NCAA games. A healthy Mac and we beat Miami.

Lilly definitely stepped on and rolled her ankle bad. I am hopeful that neither is serious but will not be totally surprised either way. A good thing we have until Friday for recovery if not too serious. I would take a first-round loss in the BTT if it meant we could get them healthy for the tournament.

Hopeful and get ready for Friday late game most likely against Michigan.

Listened to the Doing the Work podcast this morning and they acknowledged the injuries and were unsure on Meister but didn't think Mac's was serious, so hopefully that's the case.

Both were right in front of us from row 8. My wife immediately said that Mac banged knees with the Maryland player and while there was some awkward movement I believe that is what happened. It is always hard to know. Mac's injury against Ohio State in the BTT last year cost us that game along with not handling the press. It then cost us at least the sweet 16 last year as she was about 70% in the two NCAA games. A healthy Mac and we beat Miami.

Lilly definitely stepped on and rolled her ankle bad. I am hopeful that neither is serious but will not be totally surprised either way. A good thing we have until Friday for recovery if not too serious. I would take a first-round loss in the BTT if it meant we could get them healthy for the tournament.

On TV it looked like the Maryland player caught Mac in the back of her knee, unintentionally. Hopefully just a stinger type thing and no real damage.

Reactions: Shuski
Hope you're right. It's amazing the injury problems that Holmes has had when we start getting ready for the post-season tourneys. She had that knee surgery during 2022 around the midway point of that season and while she came back to play, she was never anywhere close to 100 pct. She was hurt in the B1G tournament last season when she suffered a leg injury on what many have said was a dirty play by a MSU player, and she wasn't 100 pct after that including going into the NCAAs. Now we have this just as we are nearing the B1G tournament.

Meister was still limping around after the game, so if Holmes is okay to go, they are going to have to make some adjustments whenever Holmes needs a breather or has a foul issue.
If you are correct that Mac can go and Lilly cannot, I predict Lamendola will see those minutes.
What I think I see is that Beau comes in and plays more of a guard role and Jules comes in and plays a more forward type roll.

Mack's dad and brother both came out of the locker room either crying (dad) or looking like they had just seen a ghost (her brother), so I don't know if it was just the emotion of what could have been awful or if there's more to the injury than it appeared once Mack came back out. Because she was happy, smiling and walking pretty normally (she has a limp in that left leg anyway from the previous injuries).

Reactions: Shuski
Mack's dad and brother both came out of the locker room either crying (dad) or looking like they had just seen a ghost (her brother), so I don't know if it was just the emotion of what could have been awful or if there's more to the injury than it appeared once Mack came back out. Because she was happy, smiling and walking pretty normally (she has a limp in that left leg anyway from the previous injuries).
I'm going to say the positive side of that in that it was probably the emotion of everything that happened that day and it was her last home game with maybe some games in the NCAA as a host. Outside of the trainers testing the knee about the only thing they could do at the time is xray it and that only tells if anything is broken. Surely, she has had an MRI by now which would be revealing if there is anything there.

Do they have X-ray equipment at Assembly Hall? MRI cannot always be done immediately if there is swelling.

Do they have X-ray equipment at Assembly Hall? MRI cannot always be done immediately if there is swelling.
I think that is correct about MRIs. Often done a few days later due to swelling. However no ice was used when she was on the bench so maybe not too swollen. If so, MRI today likely.
IU is very tight lipped re injuries which is frustrating to us fans.
ACL - college career ended.
MCL - sprain, maybe as quick as 4 weeks.
Meniscus - surgery and about 4 weeks.
Total speculation and guesses. I wish I had classes with her and could see if she is walking, ditches, etc.
Lilly could be broken bone in her foot, ankle sprain, etc. Nothing but guesses, and worry.

This is exactly what I feel happened with Mac. I just finished watching the replay of the game on Peacock, about 15 minutes ago, and when Mac was coming towards the basket...the Maryland player came at the same time and it clearly looked like they bumped knees.

At the end of the game.... Mac immediately game out onto the floor to hug the Big IU Senior (#25), because #25 had blocked a shot on the other end, just before the game ended. And then Mac realized they were lining up for the other team and she quickly TROTTED over to the line. She looked completely normal at that point.

Lilly.... Don't know anything about her condition.

I'm going to say the positive side of that in that it was probably the emotion of everything that happened that day and it was her last home game with maybe some games in the NCAA as a host. Outside of the trainers testing the knee about the only thing they could do at the time is xray it and that only tells if anything is broken. Surely, she has had an MRI by now which would be revealing if there is anything there.
Agree..... almost right after it happened.... the camera zoomed right in on her dad and he had his face buried in his hands and you could tell he was crying.... sitting in the stands. So that would also ring true with them coming out of the locker room.... being very emotional and all.

Today’s NET ranking has us 12. Important to be top 16 so we host first two rounds. Moren says we will play at home or on the road so she recognizes where we are. My guess is we need a solid BTT but do not need to win it.
Unfortunately we do not have a free two weeks like the Super Bowl

As I just mentioned in a reply above.... I just finished watching a reply of the game.

Being able to really focus on the play of the game this time, as opposed to watching it live, I was able to watch the off the ball play.

I could not believe how dirty the Maryland girls play. There were at least two FLOPS, where they instigated contact with our girls.... and then flopped down on the ground. On one of them a foul was called against Sid.... but on the other one, the lady Ref saw exactly what happened and whenever the Maryland Girl started complaining to the ref, while going back down the floor, the Ref kept motioning the FLOP symbol to the girl.

On another play.... a Maryland girl can up to Chloe in the lane and totally grabbed Chloe,'s arms. When Chloe tried to get away from her.... the Maryland girl immediately threw her arms up in the arm and the ref called a foul on Chloe. Just dirty play by the Maryland girl.

Reactions: MIS01
As I just mentioned in a reply above.... I just finished watching a reply of the game.

Being able to really focus on the play of the game this time, as opposed to watching it live, I was able to watch the off the ball play.

I could not believe how dirty the Maryland girls play. There were at least two FLOPS, where they instigated contact with our girls.... and then flopped down on the ground. On one of them a foul was called against Sid.... but on the other one, the lady Ref saw exactly what happened and whenever the Maryland Girl started complaining to the ref, while going back down the floor, the Ref kept motioning the FLOP symbol to the girl.

On another play.... a Maryland girl can up to Chloe in the lane and totally grabbed Chloe,'s arms. When Chloe tried to get away from her.... the Maryland girl immediately threw her arms up in the arm and the ref called a foul on Chloe. Just dirty play by the Maryland girl.
My wife who usually does not say much other than cheer the team was mad at how dirty the Maryland team played. She nicknamed #24 the point guard (Nasty girl). The fans around us thought that was pretty funny.

Reactions: kkott and Jssanto
Good grief. Every time there is an injury or hint of an injury IU coaches inevitably start acting like Bill ****ing Belichick and won’t give straight answers. My best guess? Holmes plays and Meister remains questionable.
Meister seemed to get the worst of it IMO, but injuries can be tricky.

Here's an exact quote today from Coach Moren on both injuries:

“Well, they were both in today to see (athletic trainer) Ben [Tate],” Moren said. “I think they both feel better. I think we’ll know at the end of the week where both of them are, as far as availability for the weekend. I thought there was some optimistic news today. So, I felt good about it. I think Ben feels good about it. But time will tell.”

Reactions: kkott and Jssanto

Moren said in the post game pressor how physical MD was. Later said something about “we knew they were a physical team”.
Something about how she phrased it made me feel she really meant dirty. So I am not surprised to see your comments. Apparently there is no ruling body to give punishment for dirty players, coaches, or teams.

I don't think I saw a single dirty (intentionally trying to hurt someone) play from Maryland. They are aggressive and physical. That doesn't mean dirty to me.
This was the best I've seen the women respond to aggressive/physical play.

24 wasn't dirty, she did like to talk. Sara and Chloe were giving her a dose of trash as well so ...

This was the best I've seen the women respond to aggressive/physical play.

24 wasn't dirty, she did like to talk. Sara and Chloe were giving her a dose of trash as well so ...
I'm guessing this team knows they were overun physically by Miami last year and hopefully has committed to fixing that and being more physical themselves. To get to the next level, ultimately I think Moren is going to have to recruit higher level athletes. Scary to watch that USC team and how athletic they are, and across the board almost, they probably average 3-4" taller at every position vs IU too!

I'm guessing this team knows they were overun physically by Miami last year and hopefully has committed to fixing that and being more physical themselves. To get to the next level, ultimately I think Moren is going to have to recruit higher level athletes. Scary to watch that USC team and how athletic they are, and across the board almost, they probably average 3-4" taller at every position vs IU too!
Not sure which USC (Southern Cal or South Carolina) you are referring to but for reference

IU starting lineup 5-10, 5-11, 6-2, 6-3, 6-3
Southern Cal 5-9, 6-0, 6-2, 6-2, 6-4
South Carolina 5-9, 5-9, 6-0, 6-2, 6-7

IU total height 30 feet 5 inches
Southern Cal 30 feet 5 inches
South Carolina 30 feet 3 inches

South Carolina starts PaoPao and Raven Johnson, both 5-9, Cardoso is massive at 6-7, but the other 4 not huge--Syd bigger than Hall, and Yardon bigger than Kitts

USC very similar in size at all 5 spots--that said JuJu Watkins is special!!!

Reactions: Vern Pain
Not sure which USC (Southern Cal or South Carolina) you are referring to but for reference

South Carolina starts PaoPao and Raven Johnson, both 5-9, Cardoso is massive at 6-7, but the other 4 not huge--Syd bigger than Hall, and Yardon bigger than Kitts

I live in SC, and know nothing about S Cal, so I meant South Carolina. Just watching them play, they look long at every position and off the bench. I thought both starting guards were 6'+ and they had another 6'4 or 5" post that played alongside the big center.

I live in SC, and know nothing about S Cal, so I meant South Carolina. Just watching them play, they look long at every position and off the bench. I thought both starting guards were 6'+ and they had another 6'4 or 5" post that played alongside the big center.
Their official website lists PaoPao and Raven Johnson at 5-9, Bree Hall at 6-0 and Chloe Kitts at 6-2. Smaller than Scalia, CMM, Syd and Garzon. Only position they have a height advantage in the starting lineup is Cardoso over Mack

Nice comparison, thanks.
I agree we would benefit from a super quick guard. I saw Beau make some nice drives and spin moves. I have big hope for her to develop. I hope all American level

Reactions: red hornet
Nice comparison, thanks.
I agree we would benefit from a super quick guard. I saw Beau make some nice drives and spin moves. I have big hope for her to develop. I hope all American level
Yes, if Beau will play defense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT