ADVERTISEMENT

Indystar Rips Woodson

I think they’re just lazy. No way The Star is worried about writing negative things about IU (Doyel did), especially when IU looks awful all by themselves.
Sure but what is being suggested is an entirely different animal. No way that happens. Nor should it.

Woodson doesn’t see it that way, of course. He sees this whole thing — all the negative attention, the complaints on social media, the booing from fans — as the media’s fault. Here’s another thing he said Friday:
“We haven't had a full team since November,” he’d said, “and nobody has even printed that. It's like: ‘Go win anyway.’”

Great coaches don't make excuses....
If I was present when Coach Woodson said this I would point out, "PSU didn't have their best player in your place and they throttled you. Your team turned another team who is not very good shooters into Reggie Miller".

If I was present when Coach Woodson said this I would point out, "PSU didn't have their best player in your place and they throttled you. Your team turned another team who is not very good shooters into Reggie Miller".
How was church yesterday Van? Did ya rake my Strait advice with the boots, cowboy hat and covid mask? lol

• Haha
Reactions: ulrey
No one can objectively deny that injuries have hurt this team badly…especially last season. We see the other issues with this roster of course but injuries have affected his record no doubt
True.............but seeing how teams react to adversity tells you all you need to know about the coach. A drop-off in results may be inevitable, but a give-up attitude is not.

The PSU game was over when PSU got a 6 point lead early in the 2nd half. No fire from Woody. Not acceptable.

Reactions: 76-1 and Ty Webb iu
I think he’s a very talented journalist. He’s especially good at human interest stories.

One year, I think it was 2014, Doyle came down to cover the IU vs PU Bucket game. Both teams were playing for nothing. The Zander cigar game.
Instead of covering the game, he decided to circulate out in the tailgates where he came across a group and their little dog “Sprinkles.”
His article ended up being about the dog.
We can add pet interest articles to his body of work.

One year, I think it was 2014, Doyle came down to cover the IU vs PU Bucket game. Both teams were playing for nothing. The Zander cigar game.
Instead of covering the game, he decided to circulate out in the tailgates where he came across a group and their little dog “Sprinkles.”
His article ended up being about the dog.
We can add pet interest articles to his body of work.
Isn't/wasn't he a professional dog walker?

Woodson's assistant coaches are failing us too. I hope he's on their asses.

After the obvious questions about Woodson's post-gane explanations and deflections, I wonder if we have heard the truth about Fife's departure.
Please explain how our assistants are failing us? Does Woody listen to his assistants - I don’t think so? Do the assistants have control over O or D - NO?

Doyel was here in Charlotte before Indy. He has always gone overboard to make an inane point. I think he secretly wants to be a late night host or stand up comic. I actually think he's a pretty good writer, but he'd be better if he'd not work so hard to try and make his little jokes and stay focused on his story.
Doyel is a good read when he wants to be a sports journalist. Every now and then he finds an axe to grind, and he attacks in a meaningless way. He's gone after Dakich, anti-vaxers talking about Damar Hamlin, Tony Dungy, and now Woody. I probably agreed with his overall point on most all of those, but none were articles that really offered any insight or mind-changing opinions.

Reactions: kkott
If he can't take the pressure resign he gets paid over 4 million dollars a year there's alot of guys who get paid alot less and can do the job better.

Scott Drew 3.7
Matt Painter 3.5
Jamie Dixion 3.5
Nate Oats 3.2
Chris Beard 3.2
Dusty May 1.2
I know you didn't write that IU could get any of the above as a coach but short of Dusty May, the other guys aren't coming.

Also Alford is making 1.5 million at Nevada 16-5 this season
I know you didn't write that IU could get any of the above as a coach but short of Dusty May, the other guys aren't coming.
The point was they all make less Money but May and Beard I could see coming.

Also Alford is making 1.5 million at Nevada 16-5 this season

The point was they all make less Money but May and Beard I could see coming.
I understood that, but in the case of Drew, Dixon, and MP... they are taking big time hometown discounts. They are very comfortable and the pay is viewed as fare... especially if there is money for the staff.

The minute Nate Oates has a reason to ask Bama for more money, he gets it. Chris Beard had to give his current employer assurances he wouldn't bolt. More importantly, he has some things that need to be cleaned up. All of which would be harder being in the microscope that is IU.

Drew is from Indiana Beard would come here in 2 seconds Dakich talks to Beard and said that he had interest before Woodson was hired. I am not sure about Oats but Indiana is still a better job then Alabama and Bruce Pearl loves Indiana if we decide to go after him.

Drew is from Indiana Beard would come here in 2 seconds Dakich talks to Beard and said that he had interest before Woodson was hired. I am not sure about Oats but Indiana is still a better job then Alabama and Bruce Pearl loves Indiana if we decide to go after him.
Keep wearing the candy stripes my friend...
Scott isn't leaving Baylor to coach at a school he has no hard ties to other than it being located in the state he lived in 30 years ago. Silly that this is a discussion. Is IU a better job than Bama? NIL money is the same (or damn close), pressure to win big is a lot less, warmer weather, nicer campus, better practice facilities, decent game crowds.. might not get 17k a night but they get 12k. The SEC is an easier league than the B10 and the last four IU coaches were run out of town. One of them (Crean) two years after winning a B10 championship.

Woodson doesn’t see it that way, of course. He sees this whole thing — all the negative attention, the complaints on social media, the booing from fans — as the media’s fault. Here’s another thing he said Friday:
“We haven't had a full team since November,” he’d said, “and nobody has even printed that. It's like: ‘Go win anyway.’”

Great coaches don't make excuses....
Bingo!

Keep wearing the candy stripes my friend...

Scott isn't leaving Baylor to coach at a school he has no hard ties to other than it being located in the state he lived in 30 years ago. Silly that this is a discussion. Is IU a better job than Bama? NIL money is the same (or damn close), pressure to win big is a lot less, warmer weather, nicer campus, better practice facilities, decent game crowds.. might not get 17k a night but they get 12k. The SEC is an easier league than the B10 and the last four IU coaches were run out of town. One of them (Crean) two years after winning a B10 championship.

PAT Forde wrote:

"He’s not unhappy at Baylor, but Drew might be the big fish Indiana could land. Baylor has developed a good basketball following — for both the men’s and women’s programs — but Texas remains bedrock football country. If Drew wants one chance at a power program that prioritizes hoops, in a state he knows well, this could be it.''

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I am awful at grammar, but I post on rivals. How are you a writer and actually publish this:
“Gallo is down from last year,” Woodson volunteered Friday, when asked about the prehistoric offense — IU is 355th of 351 teams nationally in 3-point attempts, and no, that’s not a typo — the Hoosiers play. “Gallo shot it I thought extremely well for us last year. He's not shooting it that well this year.”

Yes, it is a typo you moron.
He is a total doosh.

Reactions: ulrey
i think his whole

Stunning we paid him what we did when nobody else wanted him. Minnesota hired a former player and paid him 1 million. If Woodson really wanted the job as they claim his salary should be half what it is.
Why all the hatred?

No one can objectively deny that injuries have hurt this team badly…especially last season. We see the other issues with this roster of course but injuries have affected his record no doubt
The one thing I do not agree with Woodson is keeping your mouth shut. Go to work, prove them all wrong. If you can not do it ,you will be fired. It does no good explaining or talking with the media or fans. It just all sounds like excuses. If you want to be the coach at IU, THEN act like it and go to work.

Oats is a POS no thanks

Reactions: TheShadow1087
I really don’t get the media not calling him out on stuff like that.

I guess they’re afraid of losing access.

Interesting. Ask tough quesirons and you may lose access, and why bother with the headache when you can pump out the article you need to keep your job. I totally get it.

But, do some tough reporting and your audience grows.

• Love
Reactions: stollcpa
Sweet f***, Beard had interest in the IU job?!?!? Who else could IU have landed?!

And Dolson got steered toward this current mess by the BOT. It’s just too much insidious BS to cheer for anymore.

Kudos to the NNW&CC for being way ahead of the curve. Picking up new members faster than X picks up flagrant fouls 😉
They have been ahead of the curve for decades.

You’ll know the IU admin is ready for a change when you see the apologists start attacking MW with a fury. They are always way behind the curve. They need to taste the blood in the water.

Reactions: salient43

Woodson should keep his mouth shut and go to work, Any answer he gives will sound weak and full of excuses. He only has 1 year to get it right.

Reactions: bbafficionado
Sweet f***, Beard had interest in the IU job?!?!? Who else could IU have landed?!

And Dolson got steered toward this current mess by the BOT. It’s just too much insidious BS to cheer for anymore.
I swear we actively try to fail and we are good at it.

Reactions: stollcpa

And if Beard would have come here would we have been forced to fire him, like Texas was? Would that have been better?

Reactions: DANC and Willdog7
And if Beard would have come here would we have been forced to fire him, like Texas was? Would that have been better?
At that point in time, Beard was incredibly qualified for an interview (among others), we never even heard anyone else was even looked at.

Bob Knight never accepted the “injury excuse,” neither should Mike Woodson. A team plays against its potential, its greatest opponent, no matter what changes that potential during the course of a given season.

Coffee is for closers, not excuse makers of the “ifs” and “buts” that keep driving us nuts. Where are the Glengarry leads when needed?

Did Beard say that? Or did Dakich say that Beard said it? Big difference.

Reactions: Vern Pain
Bob Knight never accepted the “injury excuse,” neither should Mike Woodson. A team plays against its potential, its greatest opponent, no matter what changes that potential during the course of a given season.

Coffee is for closers, not excuse makers of the “ifs” and “buts” that keep driving us nuts. Where are the Glengarry leads when needed?
One of Woodson's standard lines is "next man up" I don't see him making excuses any more than most other coaches do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT