ADVERTISEMENT

Indy Star - Mike Woodson Uses Bench Like an NBA coach - IU's 2nd Unit Key to Big 10 Title Hopes

Such a dumb simp. Can’t even do math.

Now go to bed. You’ve got to be up early to make those McGriddles.
Lol. 1% or 4%. Again. Irrelevant. Still inconsequential to your argument. You are clearly making a desperate attempt to hold onto your pride. No need. Everybody on this board knows you are a troll.

Lol. 1% or 4%. Again. Irrelevant. Still inconsequential to your argument. You are clearly making a desperate attempt to hold onto your pride. No need. Everybody on this board knows you are a troll.
Do you seriously not know what 4/10ths of 1% is? It’s 0.4%. That’s embarrassingly bad lol.

Do you seriously not know what 4/10ths of 1% is? It’s 0.4%. That’s embarrassingly bad lol.
WTF are you even talking about? I throw a number out there that is low, and now you want to have a discussion on what 4/10ths of 1% is? How many decimal points deep of PI can you go? How relevant is that? I can assure you my mathematical prowess or lack thereof isn’t the point, other than your desire to deflect.

You simply got beyotch slapped by several posters and can’t handle it.

WTF are you even talking about? I throw a number out there that is low, and now you want to have a discussion on what 4/10ths of 1% is? How many decimal points deep of PI can you go? How relevant is that? I can assure you my mathematical prowess or lack thereof isn’t the point, other than your desire to deflect.

You simply got beyotch slapped by several posters and can’t handle it.
You can’t do math is the point. You provided nothing to the actual discussion, so now we are on to this little side convo where I’m trying to teach you math since you are clearly incompetent.

It’s funny that you think you “bitch slapped” me, yet I’ve been saying the exact same thing that the Zack Osterman said in the article in the OP. Maybe you should read it if you haven’t. Maybe Osterman is just dumb too? Maybe you can “bitch slap” him next?

You can’t do math is the point. You provided nothing to the actual discussion, so now we are on to this little side convo where I’m trying to teach you math since you are clearly incompetent.

It’s funny that you think you “bitch slapped” me, yet I’ve been saying the exact same thing that the Zack Osterman said in the article in the OP. Maybe you should read it if you haven’t. Maybe Osterman is just dumb too? Maybe you can “bitch slap” him next?
Yeah. That’s what this is about. You have failed to prove your point or rally posters to your side. You failed to supply a single post supporting what you called me out for and then mistakenly mixed me up with another poster (clearly you’re incompetent?)

Additionally, what Zack says in HIS article is irrelevant. You supplied some incomplete data (not sure the source) and made your case based on that data, again failing to sway other posters…

You have a right to your opinion, and as big an idiot as I believe you to be about basketball, maybe you are very capable at what you do for your profession (Walmart greeter?).

We can agree to disagree on this topic.

Yeah. That’s what this is about. You have failed to prove your point or rally posters to your side. You failed to supply a single post supporting what you called me out for and then mistakenly mixed me up with another poster (clearly you’re incompetent?)

Additionally, what Zack says in HIS article is irrelevant. You supplied some incomplete data (not sure the source) and made your case based on that data, again failing to sway other posters…

You have a right to your opinion, and as big an idiot as I believe you to be about basketball, maybe you are very capable at what you do for your profession (Walmart greeter?).

We can agree to disagree on this topic.
Lol you think I’m trying to sway posters here? Idgaf about what anyone here thinks. The article that started this thread agrees with what I said. The stats which have been presented support what I’ve said. It doesn’t matter if a simp like you disagrees or not. Facts are facts and numbers never lie.

As for my profession, I’m in the process of coming out of retirement.

Lol you think I’m trying to sway posters here? Idgaf about what anyone here thinks. The article that started this thread agrees with what I said. The stats which have been presented support what I’ve said. It doesn’t matter if a simp like you disagrees or not. Facts are facts and numbers never lie.

As for my profession, I’m in the process of coming out of retirement.
I’m glad to know you DGAF what people here think, because it never goes well for you based off of your history.

Seems in this case the numbers just aren’t so clear cut to support your stance in other minds. Hope your unretirement goes well. I did see a “Now Hiring” sign at a local Costco. They would surely value your past experience.

I’m glad to know you DGAF what people here think, because it never goes well for you based off of your history.

Seems in this case the numbers just aren’t so clear cut to support your stance in other minds. Hope your unretirement goes well. I did see a “Now Hiring” sign at a local Costco. They would surely value your past experience.
Numbers don’t matter to those with a bigger agenda (defending Woodson at all costs). Osterman agrees.

I’ll just buy the Costco.

Numbers don’t matter to those with a bigger agenda (defending Woodson at all costs). Osterman agrees.

I’ll just buy the Costco.

defending Woodson at all cost? He went to the tourney in his first year. He made some mistakes, sure, a lot less than the last 2.

There is a steak and shake on north walnut by crimson crossing asking for 10k to be a partner. You could tell all your stories to the folks at 3 am when making the frisco melts.

defending Woodson at all cost? He went to the tourney in his first year. He made some mistakes, sure, a lot less than the last 2.

There is a steak and shake on north walnut by crimson crossing asking for 10k to be a partner. You could tell all your stories to the folks at 3 am when making the frisco melts.
Bring back the frisco melts!!!!

Last edited:
That’s one game. We don’t beat Purdue without RP either, and it didn’t make up for every other game where he played like a low major guard.
Take away the Purdue win and last season looks a bit different. Alas, Durr isn’t here anymore, so what difference does it make?

In this thread I’ve said the exact same thing Osterman did in the article at the beginning. The EXACT same thing.

It happened pretty much every game that all 10 guys were available. Woodson would have the subs (RP, Bates, Galloway, Geronimo, and Durr ) out there around the 12 minute mark, and the other team would go on a big run.
There’s a 99% chance I’m remembering this wrong, but it seemed like more than once Geronimo would have two-three great hustle plays, then get taken out.

Offensive Possessions by lineup:

1. 646 (these are starters and can't be judged the same for obvious reasons)
2. 84
3. 82
4. 79
5. 55
6. 52
7. 39 (This is the all sub group)
81. 4

Even though those 5 players didn't play in every game, they still managed to be the 7th most used combination of the 81 lineup combinations used last year.

This proves that there were 5 subs on the court often last year. Those that say it only happened every once in awhile are wrong. The numbers don't lie.
That’s translates to a very small percentage of possessions. You’re exaggerating the times that it happened pretty significantly. Numbers don’t lie.

Reactions: MrBing
That’s translates to a very small percentage of possessions. You’re exaggerating the times that it happened pretty significantly. Numbers don’t lie.
You want to get into this again? Compare it to the amount of times other teams used all sub lineups. There is a reason the article in the OP was written. It was a serious issue last year.

That would have been an even more extreme exaggeration. The numbers you provided show that it rarely happened. Give it up.
Lol I was hoping you would say something dumb like this.

You may want to read the article. Osterman literally says that Woodson used the all sub lineup “religiously”.

Lol I was hoping you would say something dumb like this.

You may want to read the article. Osterman literally says that Woodson used the all sub lineup “religiously”.
So? He's also wrong. A lineup used for just 39 positions in a season is accurately described as seldom used, or occasionally used, rather than often used. That's a wild exaggeration. Words have meaning. You're not using the correct words and neither did Osterman. He probably suffers from the same "perception is reality" issue that you have.

So? He's also wrong. A lineup used for just 39 positions in a season is accurately described as seldom used, or occasionally used, rather than often used. That's a wild exaggeration. Words have meaning. You're not using the correct words and neither did Osterman. He probably suffers from the same "perception is reality" issue that you have.
7th most used lineup out of 81 total lineups used. That lineup only played in 12 games together. You are basically saying every lineup that isn’t the starters is a seldom used lineup.

7th most used lineup out of 81 total lineups used. That lineup only played in 12 games together. You are basically saying every lineup that isn’t the starters is a seldom used lineup.
Look up the definition of these words. You lost this debate long ago. No one agrees with you, and no one will, because you're just flat out wrong. Carry on.

Look up the definition of these words. You lost this debate long ago. No one agrees with you, and no one will, because you're just flat out wrong. Carry on.
No one except the guy people pay to write content on IUBB. In case you didn’t know, this board isn’t exactly full of posters with vast basketball knowledge. The bottom line is playing the subs so much together was a mistake and cost us games.

Hopefully it’s better this year since we have a better quality bench. Not having Durr and Phinisee will go a long way in making this team better.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Your prescription for Sertraline Hydrochloride is ready for pickup, HURRY , please take this scrip before the cops pick you up.

No one except the guy people pay to write content on IUBB. In case you didn’t know, this board isn’t exactly full of posters with vast basketball knowledge. The bottom line is playing the subs so much together was a mistake and cost us games.
Paying someone does not make them an authority, brilliant, insightful or right. History aside, not at all sure "vast basketball knowledge" is actually a thing, but I do know are a few here well versed in critical thinking AND with an exemplary command of the English language - "religiously" was a stupid word choice. IU lost games primarily because it's starters failed to execute, not because of negligible/negative contributions by a specific group of non-starters playing extremely limited minutes together.

Pretty damn sure Coach Woodson knows what he's doing, and am certain it's bigger and far more complicated than most here can comprehend, self included. Playing the hindsight card and pretending like anything he did last Season was unwarranted and/or a mistake, smacks of sophistry and hubris, not wisdom.

Paying someone does not make them an authority, brilliant, insightful or right. History aside, not at all sure "vast basketball knowledge" is actually a thing, but I do know are a few here well versed in critical thinking AND with an exemplary command of the English language - "religiously" was a stupid word choice. IU lost games primarily because it's starters failed to execute, not because of negligible/negative contributions by a specific group of non-starters playing extremely limited minutes together.

Pretty damn sure Coach Woodson knows what he's doing, and am certain it's bigger and far more complicated than most here can comprehend, self included. Playing the hindsight card and pretending like anything he did last Season was unwarranted and/or a mistake, smacks of sophistry and hubris, not wisdom.
This is gold. You basically just called Osterman not credible, yet you constantly link his posts here.

You are also wrong that IU lost most games because the starters failed to execute. You have nothing to back that claim up.

Were you also certain that Archie knew what he was doing heading into year 2? I’m confident Woodson is a better coach than Archie, but there is no proof that Woodson is a great coach in the college basketball landscape at this point.

And you can’t call it hindsight when I spent all last year talking about how dumb it was to play all subs at the same time. Specifically Durr and RP who were dreadful. This year it will work better because we have better players, but we still shouldn’t do it, imo.

This is gold. You basically just called Osterman not credible, yet you constantly link his posts here.

You are also wrong that IU lost most games because the starters failed to execute. You have nothing to back that claim up.

Were you also certain that Archie knew what he was doing heading into year 2? I’m confident Woodson is a better coach than Archie, but there is no proof that Woodson is a great coach in the college basketball landscape at this point.

And you can’t call it hindsight when I spent all last year talking about how dumb it was to play all subs at the same time. Specifically Durr and RP who were dreadful. This year it will work better because we have better players, but we still shouldn’t do it, imo.
I post/link everybody's shite, generally without commentary and never cite the author - only the publication. Rarely do I look at who the writer is, and often I don't really even read them - mostly just know that it's what's being said/reported about IU and therefore likely of general interest. If that's "gold" then having a bowel movement must make you positively ecstatic.

If IU's starters had 'executed' better, they'd have won most of those close games wherein they surrendered leads, went cold, couldn't shut down drives, didn't block out on the boards, turned the ball over, etc., or is the lack/absence of something (like quality play/minutes) not a concept you understand unless it's displayed by bench players?

Didn't say Woodson is a great Coach though I believe he might be - only stated that he knows far better than you (as well as just about everyone on this forum) what's involved in building a Team comprised of who he has on the roster, that a game does not a Season make, and that there's a hell of a lot more going into his decision-making process than you've ever imagined. Have to feed the dogs, and what's important is that late in games and during 'crunch time', Woodson always had his best Players on the Floor. You'd be better off claiming he doesn't coach the endgame very well rather than spouting specious drivel about subs being the cause of losing games.

Don't doubt that you "spent all last year" second-guessing Woodson, not because you're just so much smarter than he and the rest of IU's coaching staff, but because complaining/whining definitely seems like your long/preferred suit. Piss and moan, whinge and groan - hard to see how that equals a 'Big Fan' but by all means, fly that armchair just as hard and fast as you can.

I post/link everybody's shite, generally without commentary and never cite the author - only the publication. Rarely do I look at who the writer is, and often I don't really even read them - mostly just know that it's what's being said/reported about IU and therefore likely of general interest. If that's "gold" then having a bowel movement must make you positively ecstatic.

If IU's starters had 'executed' better, they'd have won most of those close games wherein they surrendered leads, went cold, couldn't shut down drives, didn't block out on the boards, turned the ball over, etc., or is the lack/absence of something (like quality play/minutes) not a concept you understand unless it's displayed by bench players?

Didn't say Woodson is a great Coach though I believe he might be - only stated that he knows far better than you (as well as just about everyone on this forum) what's involved in building a Team comprised of who he has on the roster, that a game does not a Season make, and that there's a hell of a lot more going into his decision-making process than you've ever imagined. Have to feed the dogs, and what's important is that late in games and during 'crunch time', Woodson always had his best Players on the Floor. You'd be better off claiming he doesn't coach the endgame very well rather than spouting specious drivel about subs being the cause of losing games.

Don't doubt that you "spent all last year" second-guessing Woodson, not because you're just so much smarter than he and the rest of IU's coaching staff, but because complaining/whining definitely seems like your long/preferred suit. Piss and moan, whinge and groan - hard to see how that equals a 'Big Fan' but by all means, fly that armchair just as hard and fast as you can.
So you just post crap to the board to get your post count up?

Show us any proof that starters lost us most of our games. The bench had terrible +/- compared to to the starters.

I’ll stick with it being dumb to play last year’s bench at the same time when you are playing with a couple scrubs and 3 other raw players.

Do you actually think my username says “Big Fan”? Lol thanks for the laugh.

So you just post crap to the board to get your post count up?

Show us any proof that starters lost us most of our games. The bench had terrible +/- compared to to the starters.

I’ll stick with it being dumb to play last year’s bench at the same time when you are playing with a couple scrubs and 3 other raw players.

Do you actually think my username says “Big Fan”? Lol thanks for the laugh.
Always mange to take the dimmest possible view of others, eh? - Team/Players included. I don't give two shakes about post count except as a mild form of embarrassment attesting to how much time I've wasted arguing with wannabe hoops gurus.

Of course the bench +/- is worse than that of the starters - it's why they're bench Players, and why they were rarely/almost never on the Floor late in games when IU frittered away late leads/gave away games they might/maybe should have won. If that's your proof that Woodson is "dumb", and that is what you're saying, good luck finding others to join your club.

I actually took your user name to mean little richard - since you're so very easily amused, chuckle at that.

Always mange to take the dimmest possible view of others, eh? - Team/Players included. I don't give two shakes about post count except as a mild form of embarrassment attesting to how much time I've wasted arguing with wannabe hoops gurus.

Of course the bench +/- is worse than that of the starters - it's why they're bench Players, and why they were rarely/almost never on the Floor late in games when IU frittered away late leads/gave away games they might/maybe should have won. If that's your proof that Woodson is "dumb", and that is what you're saying, good luck finding others to join your club.

I actually took your user name to mean little richard - since you're so very easily amused, chuckle at that.
Woodson is not a dumb coach overall, but he does have some seemingly dumb tendencies that have not worked to this point. There is a reason no other top coach in college basketball plays an all sub lineup with any sort of regularity.

Not surprised that you have small richards on your mind.

Woodson is not a dumb coach overall, but he does have some seemingly dumb tendencies that have not worked to this point. There is a reason no other top coach in college basketball plays an all sub lineup with any sort of regularity.

Not surprised that you have small richards on your mind.
"Regularity"? So math isn't one of your strengths. Got it.

Math is very much one of my strengths. Woodson deployed his all sub lineups 8x more than other coaches of top 25 teams. Maybe math isn't your strong suit?
Wasn't aware IU was a Top 25 team last Season. Perhaps his vision for the Team goes beyond one year. Or perhaps you can explain how 1-2% of total possessions over a Season equates to conclusive evidence of "dumb tendencies" and/or the definitive reason games were lost.

Not going to hold my breath so take all the time you like.

Wasn't aware IU was a Top 25 team last Season. Perhaps his vision for the Team goes beyond one year. Or perhaps you can explain how 1-2% of total possessions over a Season equates to conclusive evidence of "dumb tendencies" and/or the definitive reason games were lost.

Not going to hold my breath so take all the time you like.
We weren’t a top 25 team. That’s the point. The good teams weren’t doing that.

Again, if the 58 possessions of the all sub lineup don’t count, then you are basically saying no lineup other than the starters matter. That’s moronic.

Look at the Iowa game last year as an example. We were up 23-16 at the 12:08 mark. The all sub lineup checked in. At the 10:15 mark when that lineup checked out, we were down 26-23. That’s a 10 point swing in 2 minutes.

Math is very much one of my strengths. Woodson deployed his all sub lineups 8x more than other coaches of top 25 teams. Maybe math isn't your strong suit?
If math was one of your strengths, you'd know that multiplying a small number by 8 is still a small number.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT