ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana vs Purdue break it down..

Oops..."here".

Dude, Hammonds got ripped for two years by the GBI hate pile and other sites for being a million dollar body with a ten cent head. Which is what he looked like. There is a reason he ended up at PU and not a big program. He looked good last year, we shall see if it continues.

It's Hammons not Hammonds. And yeah it took him some time to figure it out but it was worth it IMO.

I mean I get the guy will be tough, but he's not going to be Kaminsky good. He may not even make 1st team All B10.

He may not but I think he's at worst a 2nd team All Big Ten guy with a very good chance at first team. What centers are better than him in the conference? Sure one of the newcomers could outplay him but I wouldn't put money on that you know?

He may not but I think he's at worst a 2nd team All Big Ten guy with a very good chance at first team. What centers are better than him in the conference? Sure one of the newcomers could outplay him but I wouldn't put money on that you know?
I would agree 2nd team is likely with a shot at 1st team. My point was from him splitting time with Haas and having some of his stats taken from Haas. I could see a couple others putting up bigger numbers than AJH but that's not necessarily meaning they're better, but may be more productive because they aren't splitting time.

As far as who's better? I don't know. There are a few that have potential to be the best in the conference, but we'll have to wait and see how everything shakes out.

It's Hammons not Hammonds. And yeah it took him some time to figure it out but it was worth it IMO.
I understand your concern about the spelling of AJ's name, it's mildly concerning you're not equally distraught about defence though. dws

And that's what I constantly love about Purdue fans, your inability to be rational about any college program, especially when it comes to IU and Purdue. I also like your inability to understand how a lack of a good big man can affect the rest of the defense, how an offense would attack a defense and how we would try and mask our deficiencies last year. But please come back next year. I'll be around when you guys lose to Garner Webb or North Florida and I'll be eagerly waiting on the excuses to start flying. Then once the B10 season rolls along and you guys aren't the next coming of the Chicago Bulls from the 90's and are nothing more than a second tier B10 team, I'll be interested in hearing your excuses. They are guaranteed to come and I can't wait. It'll be nothing more than blaming the refs and moral victories. It's going to be hilarious.

By the way, I'll take your bet that IU will finish higher than Purdue in the B10.

I think guaranteeing anything when it comes to either team this next season is an extremely foolish thing to do.

I appreciate the concern. No worries, though. I would assume Bryant is around the 25 minutes per game range. But the difference is Holt is now a sophomore, we have Beifeld (sp?) who's got experience playing against Hammons and we have Morgan who I would guess logs some minutes as well. We'll be fine in those minutes where Bryant is on the bench. It's not like we're going to be putting Collin Hartman down on the blocks again. So I don't think it's going to be just like last year when Bryant is on the bench.

Yes Max has a total of 18 minutes in 3 years experience.

I cant wait to see purdue try and stop bryant. He is going to be a load on the blocks.
Hmmmm... Hammons, Haas, Swanigan, Edwards, Taylor for starters. I'm sure Bryant will be a great player but he will see more physical defense in the Big than he has ever seen..... And he will be a true Frosh. Also, it will take a huge change in style for Bryant to see the ball given the guard oriented offense. Time will tell. Can't wait.

Hmmmm... Hammons, Haas, Swanigan, Edwards, Taylor for starters. I'm sure Bryant will be a great player but he will see more physical defense in the Big than he has ever seen..... And he will be a true Frosh. Also, it will take a huge change in style for Bryant to see the ball given the guard oriented offense. Time will tell. Can't wait.
You lost any ounce of credibility when you listed Taylor and to a lesser extent, Edwards. I mean, come on man. Really? Taylor? Lol.

You lost any ounce of credibility when you listed Taylor and to a lesser extent, Edwards. I mean, come on man. Really? Taylor? Lol.

Have you seen Taylor lately? I'm not saying he will guard Thomas but damn he got buff! He's 6'9" and quite athletic. Some are calling him a poor man's Jajuan Johnson. That's yet to be seen though.

Have you seen Taylor lately? I'm not saying he will guard Thomas but damn he got buff! He's 6'9" and quite athletic. Some are calling him a poor man's Jajuan Johnson. That's yet to be seen though.
Pardon me if I want to see him play against a B10 team. We heard similar talks of Bade, Lawson and others. I mean we had the same thing here when talks of Pritchard (or a couple others) were dominating in practices or over the summer. It's just hard to believe any of that type of talk until I see it especially when he was a redshirt freshman who wasn't ranked IIRC and now he's just going to be able to guard someone like a Swanigan or Bryant? I don't buy it one bit.

Pardon me if I want to see him play against a B10 team. We heard similar talks of Bade, Lawson and others. I mean we had the same thing here when talks of Pritchard (or a couple others) were dominating in practices or over the summer. It's just hard to believe any of that type of talk until I see it especially when he was a redshirt freshman who wasn't ranked IIRC and now he's just going to be able to guard someone like a Swanigan or Bryant? I don't buy it one bit.

For the record I did say that I wasn't going to act like he was going to guard Bryant. I was just saying that he has really developed physically in the one year here. Also, he redshirt because of medical issues.

Two questions have been asked and gone unanswered. Who will Swanigan guard and if Swanigan starts, who will sit? You have to give something up in order for Swanigan to start and it appears as though that would be outside shooting which is bad for spacing which makes it difficult for a below average B1G point guard to be at his best.
I think the question is more that who is going to guard AJ and Biggie? AJ pretty much blocked any shot he wanted to when they drove last year, in both games.

He doesn't see the irony.
Right. There's no difference between a kid who IIRC got injured in high school, was unranked and then redshirted his freshman year compared to a McDonald's All American. None whatsoever. I understand you guys don't get it either, Swanigan is your first McDonald's All American since the early 90's so you don't really comprehend that they can contribute immediately. We get it.

Thomas Bryant will be a nice player for us but he won't be to the level of Hammons or Haas yet. His physical limitations will prevent being his being one of the top centers in the league. He will however be a decided upgrade at the center position for IU. He will present a post presence defensively and rebounding wise which will help improve our team overall.

Right. There's no difference between a kid who IIRC got injured in high school, was unranked and then redshirted his freshman year compared to a McDonald's All American. None whatsoever. I understand you guys don't get it either, Swanigan is your first McDonald's All American since the early 90's so you don't really comprehend that they can contribute immediately. We get it.
Nobody ever compared the two. Where do you come up with this stuff?

I think the question is more that who is going to guard AJ and Biggie? AJ pretty much blocked any shot he wanted to when they drove last year, in both games.

So, because of AJ's defense, IU won't be able to guard AJ and Caleb? Logic isn't your strong suit.

That said, Bryant/Bielfeld will match up with Hammons/Haas. Williams will guard Swanigan. The real key is who will IU use to guard Edwards, who will be decidedly taller than Blackmon/Johnson or Yogi.

Bryant will pose a bigger issue for Hammons lane protection due to his ability to stretch the floor to mid-range and a tad farther. AJ didn't have to be concerned about that last year.

Nobody ever compared the two. Where do you come up with this stuff?
Right. So you weren't speaking to the irony of wanting to see Bryant play in the B10 before you give him any credit? No? I was then pointing out its a different situation between speculating how a McDonald's All American freshman will play versus an unranked player who has been injured and redshirted. Huge difference.

So, because of AJ's defense, IU won't be able to guard AJ and Caleb? Logic isn't your strong suit.

That said, Bryant/Bielfeld will match up with Hammons/Haas. Williams will guard Swanigan. The real key is who will IU use to guard Edwards, who will be decidedly taller than Blackmon/Johnson or Yogi.

Bryant will pose a bigger issue for Hammons lane protection due to his ability to stretch the floor to mid-range and a tad farther. AJ didn't have to be concerned about that last year.

Painter is a smart coach when it comes to defense. I'm sure he will put the players in best position to effectively guard their man and still have a lane protector. Just like when we played Wisconisn. Edwards guarded Kaminski and did a very good job at it. Bryant is no Kaminski. The 4 and 5 players could switch frequently to keep AJ in the post as much as possible and a wing defender on who's outside.

Oh and I knew you couldn't stay away like you said. Lol, pathetic.
Glad I could make your day.
Now show me where anyone compared the two. Or are you admitting you put words in people's mouths to try and back your absurd notions?

Once again I point to facts that negate your view and you fail to address it and regress to your fifth grade schoolgirl tantrums.

Glad I could make your day.
Now show me where anyone compared the two. Or are you admitting you put words in people's mouths to try and back your absurd notions?

Once again I point to facts that negate your view and you fail to address it and regress to your fifth grade schoolgirl tantrums.
If I'm so wrong, then please tell me what your post about not seeing the irony was referring to. I'll gladly say I was wrong if you weren't speaking to Bryant. I find it hard to believe given you think he's not going to do much against solid competition in the B10. So then when a Purdue poster said that Taylor could guard Bryant, I laughed and made my comments. It's a far less stretch to think Bryant will be ready to make an impact right away and be able to play with the big kids, given McDonald's All Americans typically do. But a redshirt, who had been injured and was unranked coming out of high school is suddenly going to be able to guard our best big man? I find it hard to believe. And so I don't find there to be much irony at all, really, given the two situations couldn't be more different.

Last edited:
Painter is a smart coach when it comes to defense. I'm sure he will put the players in best position to effectively guard their man and still have a lane protector. Just like when we played Wisconisn. Edwards guarded Kaminski and did a very good job at it. Bryant is no Kaminski. The 4 and 5 players could switch frequently to keep AJ in the post as much as possible and a wing defender on who's outside.

It will be interesting to see how that game comes out. If AJ stays in the paint as you predict and Bryant has Edwards on him, it will leave a very good shooter open outside, ball movement will be key and we can't have that be via dribble.

If I'm so wrong, then please tell me what your post about not seeing the irony was referring to. I'll gladly say I was wrong if you weren't speaking to Bryant. I find it hard to believe given you think he's not going to do much against solid competition in the B10. So then when a Purdue poster said that Taylor could guard Bryant, I laughed and made my comments. It's a far less stretch to think Bryant will be ready to make an impact right away and be able to play with the big kids, given McDonald's All Americans typically do. But a redshirt, who had been injured and was unranked coming out of high school is suddenly going to be able to guard our best big man? I find it hard to believe. And so I don't find there to be much irony at all, really, given the two situations couldn't be more different.
The irony is in the fact that you want to see one guy play against legit competition while predicting the other to be a super star having never seen him play against legit competition.
Nobody compared the two players and if you noticed, Taylor was listed after four other guys and nobody expects him to log many minutes this year anyway. If he plays against IU, you won't be happy with the outcome of the game.

Of course Bryant is your best big. He is your only big. Labeling him the best carries little weight.

The irony is in the fact that you want to see one guy play against legit competition while predicting the other to be a super star having never seen him play against legit competition.
Nobody compared the two players and if you noticed, Taylor was listed after four other guys and nobody expects him to log many minutes this year anyway. If he plays against IU, you won't be happy with the outcome of the game.

Of course Bryant is your best big. He is your only big. Labeling him the best carries little weight.
That's exactly what I thought you were referring to. The Purdue poster said Taylor could guard him. He's an unranked, redshirt player coming off an injury. To think he's going to just come in and be able to guard Bryant is far more of a stretch than thinking that Bryant will be able to come in and play solid defense against Hammons. So no, it's not really ironic at all.

Again, never seeing him play against legit competition? He's gone up against Diamond Stone as well as other bigs highly ranked, pretty sure Stone will be one of the best bigs in the B10 next year. I don't know where you keep thinking he's played again 5'10 guys throughout high school.

Anything else I can clarify for you?

That said, Bryant/Bielfeldt will match up with Hammons/Haas.

1436804785_dunking_kid_gets_hit_in_the_head_by_hoop.gif

That's exactly what I thought you were referring to. The Purdue poster said Taylor could guard him. He's an unranked, redshirt player coming off an injury. To think he's going to just come in and be able to guard Bryant is far more of a stretch than thinking that Bryant will be able to come in and play solid defense against Hammons. So no, it's not really ironic at all.

Again, never seeing him play against legit competition? He's gone up against Diamond Stone as well as other bigs highly ranked, pretty sure Stone will be one of the best bigs in the B10 next year. I don't know where you keep thinking he's played again 5'10 guys throughout high school.

Anyone who came away from that game thinking Bryant did a good job defending Stone knows absolutely nothing about basketball. It was a fast paced game. When Stone actually received the ball in the post in half court, Bryant didn't slow him down any. That's not saying Bryant is no good. Stone is a stud. I will guarantee you that Taylor is just as good DEFENSIVELY as Bryant. Taylor is taller, bulkier, and more athletic. He also has a year of college under his belt practicing against two of the best centers in the conference. The best thing our bigs have going for them is that they face easier opposition during games than during practice. Bryant will not change that. As told to you several times, Hammons was able to get much better players than Bryant (Zeller and Vonleh) in foul trouble. Bryant will be no different. I really think you need to temper your expectations of Bryant. That's on you, though. It's going to be a fun year!

Anyone who came away from that game thinking Bryant did a good job defending Stone knows absolutely nothing about basketball. It was a fast paced game. When Stone actually received the ball in the post in half court, Bryant didn't slow him down any. That's not saying Bryant is no good. Stone is a stud. I will guarantee you that Taylor is just as good DEFENSIVELY as Bryant. Taylor is taller, bulkier, and more athletic. He also has a year of college under his belt practicing against two of the best centers in the conference. The best thing our bigs have going for them is that they face easier opposition during games than during practice. Bryant will not change that. As told to you several times, Hammons was able to get much better players than Bryant (Zeller and Vonleh) in foul trouble. Bryant will be no different. I really think you need to temper your expectations of Bryant. That's on you, though. It's going to be a fun year!
I scratch my head at your guarantee. How can you be that absolute about a guy that, while he has been in college a year, has missed the bulk of that year due to injury? Sounds like fodder from fanboy.

Taylor won't guard Bryant. If he does it means Purdue is up. I wouldn't say he can't, but I assure you he won't. He does have experience in his side or playing against legit big men where Bryanr doesn't. You keep saying Stone who may be great. But Stone also hasn't faced B1G competition and it was one all star/aau type of game.
If your judging Bryant's impact from one game against high school players and think it translates to what he will see in the B1G, then you are surely going to be surprised come January.

Clearly people disagree with your take on the matchup. But please, don't let that stop you from trolling.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...lds-all-american-tom-crean-hoosiers/25929417/

I will guarantee you that Taylor is just as good DEFENSIVELY as Bryant. Taylor is taller, bulkier, and more athletic. He also has a year of college under his belt practicing against two of the best centers in the conference.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAH. That is the funniest thing I've read all day. Thanks for that! You can't really believe that, really? Honestly?

I scratch my head at your guarantee. How can you be that absolute about a guy that, while he has been in college a year, has missed the bulk of that year due to injury? Sounds like fodder from fanboy.
Head and Shoulders perhaps? I obviously could be wrong, but I'll trust the facts. Taylor is taller, bulkier, and more athletic than Bryant. Taylor has been practicing against two of the best centers in the B1G. Bryant has been playing against high schoolers. Taylor's stock was pretty high prior to an injury. Taylor has been practicing under a coach who preaches defense for the last year. Bryant plays for Crean (do I need to say anything about Crean and defense?). I'd take Taylor over Bryant on the defensive side of the ball all day. I'd also take him on the offensive side of the ball, but that is fanboy stuff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT