ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana v. Iowa Predictions

Middawg

Sophomore
Feb 24, 2020
Game of the day in college basketball.

Winner gets a big leg up on the Conference Championship.

Thinking the Hoosiers will be in good shape when Scalia and Syd match the production of Clark.

+ Our multiple outside shooters
- Caitlin Clark
+ multiple players to go hot or cold, rather than one who can have a bad night (but very rare for Clark, so who hassles her? Chloe, again.). Need to rough her up, in a clean way, and not pick up away team fouls. I think Chloe has that.
+ Been saving Mack for games like this, and I don't think they can stop her. (fingers crossed for no early fouls)
+ we've got a bit deeper bench, but beyond Meister and Bargesser freshman in intimidating surrounding
+/- late arrival (hindrance or let r rip looseness)
+/- maybe two best coaches in B1G women bb ... but I like ours better

I'm taking Hoosiers, (yes, I've been accused of sunshine pumping), but this one is up for grabs and I sure hope it lives up to its billing.

81-78 Hoosiers

Go Hoosiers

Last edited:
Tough game. Multiple starts and stops to get to airport. Then flew to a town a bus trip direct to arena. Then go direct from parkas to uniforms.
That is a lot to overcome

Reactions: HillzHoozier
It is evident that Clark is going to get every call . The refs are not going to call anything on her . That’s all you have heard on tv all week is Catlin Clark . She had a least 2 obvious fouls with no call . It’s easy to play D when you know that no matter what you do , that they aren’t going to call anything . Finally!!! She leads with her forearm when she drives , they finally called one .

It is evident that Clark is going to get every call . The refs are not going to call anything on her . That’s all you have heard on tv all week is Catlin Clark . She had a least 2 obvious fouls with no call . It’s easy to play D when you know that no matter what you do , that they aren’t going to call anything .

Well just goy one obvious one. She likes to cross or go left on her threes. Hope we notice that.

Reactions: Hatchets7times
I’ve never seen them interview a player at half time . Then the coach K bit with her . What a crock of sh@& . It’s the all catlin clark show . If it gets close you know who is going to get the call .

I think the flopper had scored more free throws than IU has attempted.
Hard to toggle between IU & the Chiefs since they’re using the Peacock scam for the football game.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
Tough game. Clark unstoppable. She’s just a freak. Hope we get the W when they come here.

Reactions: kkott
Well just goy one obvious one. She likes to cross or go left on her threes. Hope we notice that.

Tactically, I think you have to limit the left sidestep 3 and make that shot as difficult as possible.

Tempt her to work driving right and finishing through ridiculous calls. Take away all the passing options.

If she wants to drive 20 times and get hammered on a handful of finishes, so be it. Take your chances.

Thought they did better this game than last season on the sidestep, but would have liked to see the defenders left shoulder lined up to her left shoulder.

She is really good and a gifted ball player . Hope she is playing for the Fever next year . My problem was the tv coverage was like she was the only player with any ability . Hope we get pay back when they come to B-Town .
She's also a drama queen. Rolling on the floor apparently in pain and shooting free throws five seconds later. Limping to the locker room and back in the game in about 30 seconds. I thought she probably had to pee.

Seriously? Homer much? Fact, Clark gets grabbed , held and bumped constantly in EVERY game trying to slow her down. IF they actually called even half the fouls she'd foul out 4 or 5 girls every night, and tonight was no exception. So for you homers what exactly has Holmes done to deserve equal billing? She is a great post player for sure. Is she changing the perception of womens basketball? Not hardly. Is every arena you play in sold out because they are coming to see HER play? No. Is she widely recognized as the most exciting player in all of college basketball. Uh No. Are little girls families driving hundreds of miles to games just to see her play, Uh, NO.

Last edited:
Anyone know anything on Iowa Beat Writer, Scott Dochterman’s tweet post-game to the effect: “Iowa Athletics needs to have a chat with their security about kicking out Indiana player parents talking to their kids after the game.”???

She hits 3s that I cannot believe. Step back fading left 26 footers. Doesn’t even graze the rim. Just rips the net. She’s annoying but her shooting skills are unparalleled.
Yeah, she's like Steph Curry and Alan Iverson rolled into one at this level. Just plays at a different speed and amazing shooter. I don't like her antics, but she's fun to watch. They look better this year, or they were just really on... or both.

Reactions: ichawk24
It was definitely their night, Especially in the 2nd half. IU had no answers for the other 4 on the floor. Just re-group and stay a game behind until they have to come to AH. I doubt they will be that hot from the field.

It was definitely their night, Especially in the 2nd half. IU had no answers for the other 4 on the floor. Just re-group and stay a game behind until they have to come to AH. I doubt they will be that hot from the field.
I almost wonder about replacing Scalia with the freshman... Bergstresser? Just to get the most athletic and defensive team on the floor and encourage Scalia to come off the bench in the reprised role of Vinnie "The Microwave" Johnson. I'd just want as strong and quick a defensive team as I could get on the floor. They also almost need to come up with the "Jordan Rules" for playing them. But the bottom line is if Clark is on she can make shots no one has ever made. How do you practice and defend that? Tip your hat and get back in the gym!

I really expected a tighter game, in fact I predicted an Indy win. At half it looked like we going that direction, then Iowa got hot from three. That’s what makes this Hawkeyes team so deadly. Lots and lots of shooters.

Molly Davis was the biggest key to victory, when CC went out hurt she took the game over.

Clark’s greatness comes from the fact you cannot stop her. Double her and she’ll destroy you with sweet dimes. Face guard and she’ll blow by you for two. Sag off, well that’s just asking for trouble.

Cannot wait for the rematch. Two very good teams!

Reactions: ichawk24
Seriously? Homer much? Fact, Clark gets grabbed , held and bumped constantly in EVERY game trying to slow her down. IF they actually called even half the fouls she'd foul out 4 or 5 girls every night, and tonight was no exception. So for you homers what exactly has Holmes done to deserve equal billing? She is a great post player for sure. Is she changing the perception of womens basketball? Not hardly. Is every arena you play in sold out because they are coming to see HER play? No. Is she widely recognized as the most exciting player in all of college basketball. Uh No. Are little girls families driving hundreds of miles to games just to see her play, Uh, NO.

What are you babbling about? I said nothing about TV coverage.

It is evident that Clark is going to get every call . The refs are not going to call anything on her . That’s all you have heard on tv all week is Catlin Clark . She had a least 2 obvious fouls with no call . It’s easy to play D when you know that no matter what you do , that they aren’t going to call anything . Finally!!! She leads with her forearm when she drives , they finally called one .
They fainally called one and it was the second time she did it on the same play.

Her reaction...stomping around waving her "wtf" arms like "how dare you"

She is a generational talent but the first time she drives that elbow or shoulder in the WNBA she is gonna find out quick.

Molly Davis was the difference. Credit to her but no excuse for IU to let a former MAC player dominate them. You're simply not going to stop Clark. As LSU did last year, let Clark get her points and dominate the 4 on 4 game. We are better than Iowa player for player.

Clark is all of these things and when she comes to Btown in late Feb there will be 17k there...but not the same fawning parents you see with their little girls at other big ten arenas. These are knowledgeable basketball fans that won't dote on her act. They will be there to see the Hoosiers play. Clark and Angel Reece have been great for the women's game...great players and villains.

And if you think she is hacked more than she hacks, shoves, shoulders and then jumps around whining in refs faces like a ferret on crack...you know nothing about the game and you are the "Homer" you like to call others.

Take a hike corn cob.

Molly Davis was the difference. Credit to her but no excuse for IU to let a former MAC player dominate them. You're simply not going to stop Clark. As LSU did last year, let Clark get her points and dominate the 4 on 4 game. We are better than Iowa player for player.
Indiana is clearly better at the "5".

Nowhere else.

That said, I do think the game in Bloomington will be very close.

Absolutely blown out. Woodson must be coaching the ladies. Complete embarrassment in the 2nd half.

She's a great shooter, passer, and ball handler. Mainly defends by constantly slapping at the ball (and rarely getting called for fouls). Rebounds ok from her position. IU doesn't have anyone quite quick enough to stay with her. Few teams do. But the top level teams (LSU, South Carolina, Uconn, etc.) have enough "rough" players to take her out of her game. The constant antics and drama are all BS and shouldn't be tolerated. Just play the freaking game. WNBA teams will knock the hell out of her for acting like that.

I almost wonder about replacing Scalia with the freshman... Bergstresser? Just to get the most athletic and defensive team on the floor and encourage Scalia to come off the bench in the reprised role of Vinnie "The Microwave" Johnson. I'd just want as strong and quick a defensive team as I could get on the floor. They also almost need to come up with the "Jordan Rules" for playing them. But the bottom line is if Clark is on she can make shots no one has ever made. How do you practice and defend that? Tip your hat and get back in the gym!

Scalia is an all big ten player and has arguably been IU's best player this season, and you want to bring her off the bench?

She didn't have a good night finding open space for her 3 ball. Did have 9 boards though.

Seems like this is the first game you've watched.

Scalia is an all big ten player and has arguably been IU's best player this season, and you want to bring her off the bench?

She didn't have a good night finding open space for her 3 ball. Did have 9 boards though.

Seems like this is the first game you've watched.
I meant for just vs Iowa and Clarke. They have a girl that's pretty good on the perimeter in case you haven't watched. Just kidding, I think this is only the 3rd game I've watched this year, but yes, I'm talking about special rules/rotation just vs Iowa and the way they swing the ball. We'd still have Garzon, CMM and Parrish as shooters/scorers but I like that freshman's D.

Reactions: Boilerball3
Really? Sure didn't look like it Saturday night. So just on what are you basing that statement? The last several games, no not that either. Hmmm......I always marvel at the posters saying that teams like SC or LSU will, "take her out of her game", or WNBA will "knock the hell out of her" for her actions. Obviously you guys stopped watching the tourney when you'll got knocked out early huh? We Played top teams Louiville, SC, and LSU. Boy they sure "took her out of her game didn't they? Lets see she scored 41, 41, and 30, ( had a triple double and a double/dub),in the elite 8 against those top teams, An ALL time record 191 points in the tourney most by ANY woman or man ever. How exactly did SC "take her out of her game? The only think that slowed her down in the final was the refs.

As for the WNBA she's been playing against many peers in the league her whole career and the tourneys. Just who has been controlling who? When she gets on the floor in the league with better talent around her, her game will only ascend even more. Ask the coaches in the WNBA what they think on the subject.

Try reading what you posted there Mr. No shit. Going on about how teams like SC would "rough her up" and slow her down. We played them in March when they were undefeated and being recognized as the best defensive team in the country and she lit there ASS on fire. Try again on just who is going to stop her.....

Last edited:
Reactions: kkott and cmhawks99
No shit. Can you read what you quoted. I clearly said she's going to get her points but her supporting cast should not be able to keep up with a good team. Clark isn't going to score every point in the game. A very good guard and front court should beat Iowa. Holmes had 16 and terrible free throws. Kansas State beat you because it's center had 22.

You sound like Dawn Staley complaining about the refs because SC claimed the same thing.

No shit. Can you read what you quoted. I clearly said she's going to get her points but her supporting cast should not be able to keep up with a good team. Clark isn't going to score every point in the game. A very good guard and front court should beat Iowa. Holmes had 16 and terrible free throws. Kansas State beat you because it's center had 22.

You sound like Dawn Staley complaining about the refs because SC claimed the same thing.

But they haven’t, why? Because like most jealous rivals, they see what they hope to see. I’ll be straight up with you, I love watching her play. And before her I only watched women’s basketball sparingly. So she is the “why” but even I as an Iowa fan I do get tired of them constantly talking about her but she IS THE SHOW, period!

She fills every road teams stands, it’s past remarkable, she is the reason people are tuning in….It is what it is.

As for Iowas team…..LOL Hannah Stuelke can play on any team in America, so can Kate Martin. Being honest, I really wasn’t in love with Molly Davis until I saw her take over in your game. She is honestly just overshadowed… She’s a point guard who doesn’t get to play point guard. It is just pure raw rival jealousy to pretend like Indiana is a better team than Iowa we have played nine likely tournament teams, and beaten 13 of them by 20+ points. Quite frankly brother there arent many better teams in the country than Kansas State and we’ve played them twice and split so you tell yourself whatever you like, but reality doesn’t mesh with your dreams .

Ps…. I like to watch Indiana play, I like your whole team and fouls are fouls & fans aren’t capable of being fair & unbiased. You are correct Caitlyn pushes off a lot, but she also gets mauled!!

A quick anecdote: I had six kids several pretty good basketball players, I was sitting in the stands one game down by the floor and the whole game. “Our fans” were bitching about fouls & finally by the mid third-quarter I turned around and said….”really, really, every foul they’ve called has been wrong? every single foul?”

So I do try pretty hard to see the Truth, most fans do not!!

And if she was “easy to stop “easy to keep from driving “easy to keep from making passes, somebody would’ve got it done by now…she’s played a shit ton of athletic high-end basketball teams over the last several years…

And she’s got a supporting cast around her that plays good defense and can shoot the three… That’s a tough team to beat. All of Iowas metrics are better this year so they are indeed a better team than the one that made the national championship game last year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT