ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana Mr. Basketball, where they went. History

you could make yourself into kind of coach local talent wants to play for.

so maybe it's not about what CTC has done or not done but more who he is. his game and personal style just aren't great fits for our program or apparently the young talented players coming out of Indiana.

This is the problem right here.

I've tried to tell you all ( or those of you smart enough to listen ) that Tom Crean isn't viewed in a favorable light by many in the state. The fact that he's missed out on so many great players -even those besides Mr. Basketball - ought to tell you something.

At a school like Indiana - with it's tradition, facilities and fanbase - there's no reason not to be getting the top talent or a fair share of it in a talent-rich state. Look at how Izzo recruits. If there is a top recruit in Michigan they're not gonna take a look at Sparty?

Oden is the one that broke my heart. It killed me to watch that 2007 Buckeye team. If we could have kept 1/3 of the in state talent from 2000-2010 we could have hanged another banner.

Reactions: Tasmanian Devil
Oden is the one that broke my heart. It killed me to watch that 2007 Buckeye team. If we could have kept 1/3 of the in state talent from 2000-2010 we could have hanged another banner.
Conleys dad was a Nike rep, we were Adidas, it didn't matter who was coaching

Didn't Davis really foul up the Oden and Conley recruitment, though? I thought there was something about recruiting letters getting switched in envelopes and going to the wrong addresses...
Yep.

Everyone knew wherever Conley, Jr was going was where Oden would go. That was no big secret.

Davis, though, had this big infatuation with Sherron Collins out of Chicago. He the same kid who went to Kansas and played on the Jayhawks 2008 NCAA champs. Davis, from what I was told by a guy who has nailed everything else he's ever told me, sent multiple letters meant for Collins to Conley's address.

Davis received a lot of unjustified flak (and some nasty racial hate mail; I saw some copies) during his time at IU, but he completely botched the Oden/Conley recruitment.

Reactions: Wat Shot
Didn't Davis really foul up the Oden and Conley recruitment, though? I thought there was something about recruiting letters getting switched in envelopes and going to the wrong addresses...
it was a wrongly addressed letter. If you think the IUBB coach is addressing his own letters than yes you can blame MD....otherwise you'd know it was the mistake of his staff

Yes a letter was sent to the wrong recruit, do you really think the HC is addressing the letters?

Conleys dad was Nike, the recruitment wasn't over but it was never in our favor

Yep.

Everyone knew wherever Conley, Jr was going was where Oden would go. That was no big secret.

Davis, though, had this big infatuation with Sherron Collins out of Chicago. He the same kid who went to Kansas and played on the Jayhawks 2008 NCAA champs. Davis, from what I was told by a guy who has nailed everything else he's ever told me, sent multiple letters meant for Collins to Conley's address.

Davis received a lot of unjustified flak (and some nasty racial hate mail; I saw some copies) during his time at IU, but he completely botched the Oden/Conley recruitment.
He didn't address the letters, his staff screwed him. HCs don't address the letters

He was smart to go for Collins. Conleys dad worked for Nike. I'm not saying it wasn't possible to get them to an Adidas school but it wasn't likely

I didn't see any mention of Dave Shepherd, Mr. Basketball in 1970. He was Coach Knight's first transfer out, to Mississippi.

it was a wrongly addressed letter. If you think the IUBB coach is addressing his own letters than yes you can blame MD....otherwise you'd know it was the mistake of his staff

From what I was told it happened multiple times. Def a screwup by whomever was doing it.

Did it matter? Likely not with the shoe connection. (As an aside - if you've never read it, "Sole Influence" is a great book on how shoe companies have impacted grass roots basketball. It's a little dated (2000) but still a lot of it applies to today.

Bird wasn't Mr BB. He was lost at IU and left because he felt out of place. Knight has been quoted as saying he wishes he would have took Bird aside and tried to talk with him, but at that point in his career he just wouldn't do that.
Larry wasn't Mr. Basketball, but boy he should have been. Roy Taylor and Steve Collier?
Taylor played at high profile Anderson, and Collier's dad was coach at Hanover College, where the arena is named after him.
Springs Valley and French Lick weren't on too many people's radar for Mr. Basketball in 1974.

Also thought it might interesting to look at some of the biggest names that didn't go to IU.

Oscar Robertson - Cincinnati
Greg Oden - Ohio State
Sean May - North Carolina
Glenn Robinson - Purdue (we didn't recruit Robinson)
Kyle Macy - Purdue (transferred to Kentucky)
Rick Mount - Purdue
Ron Bonham - Cincinnati
Jim Master - Kentucky (what a shooter he was)
Deshaun Thomas - Ohio State
Tyler Zeller - North Carolina
Luke Zeller - Notre Dame
Gary Harris - Michigan State
Trey Lyles - Kentucky

I'm sure I am missing a few.
It's an embarrassment to the system that Shawn Kemp didn't win it.

He says he worked with RMK

I did, for a number of years. As well as in other athletic departments and conference offices. Plenty of photographic and media guide proof if I wished to reveal myself. Actually wouldn't be too hard for someone with a collection of media guides to figure it out on their own.

Yes, I had to rely on Wiki for a few answers as I wasn't there at IU for all 70+ Mr. Indiana winners, and at my age even for the ones I was there things don't stick inside the grey matter like they used to.

Happy Mothers Day, Jim. I think you can get to 1000 posts by end of today.

Knight only pursued one of those players, though he later admitted he should have offered one other. Wikipedia isn't a necessary source for this if you followed IU.

You've been proven wrong here more times than I care to count, and you consider yourself an IU follower.

lot of work to prove IU doesn't need Indiana kids to be successful long-term? weird

Not that much work, nothing weird about it. Retirement gives me time to do many things. I hope IU grabs as many Indiana kids that the coaching staff believes are necessary to win. If IU pulls in kids from other states, as long as they have Indiana on the front, that is fine by me. IU can win many different ways. We've had national champions with RMK that had only 3 Indiana HS kids, and we've won with 9+. There is no set in stone way to do this. That is the difference between you and I. My view is broader, you are more provincial.

Not that much work, nothing weird about it. Retirement gives me time to do many things. I hope IU grabs as many Indiana kids that the coaching staff believes are necessary to win. If IU pulls in kids from other states, as long as they have Indiana on the front, that is fine by me. IU can win many different ways. We've had national champions with RMK that had only 3 Indiana HS kids, and we've won with 9+. There is no set in stone way to do this. That is the difference between you and I. My view is broader, you are more provincial.
Yes your view us broader, just a few years ago you were a Marquette fan

Kyle disagrees with you

ASOB: Did Indiana recruit you?

KM: Bob Knight didn't really recruit me very hard. He already had a bunch of great players, and didn't really need me. But later on, coach Knight told me if he had it to do all over again that he would recruit me, and I thought that was nice of him to say.

How does he disagree with me. I said Knight recruited all of them. Kyle Macy agrees, Knight recruited him. How hard is subjective, but nothing I said was incorrect. IU did recruit Macy, which is what I said.

You've been proven wrong here more times than I care to count, and you consider yourself an IU follower.
That's untrue, just as its untrue that Knight recruited Macy. He didn't, as either one would unequivocally state.

yup, the old "we only had three IN kids in 87" line. love it. check every other roster for the last 100 years. :) seriously, you new IU guys are crazy. throw everything against the wall and see what sticks. pull one year out of your butt and then tell us we've never relied on Indiana or Midwest kids. looooove it!

The state of Indiana has a burning passion for hoops and a special relationship with its high school players. Trust me, it's not that CTC doesn't think kids from Indiana are his best bet to win. He knows what you are in denial about. It's way better to get local kids at a state school like IU. His style just turns locals off.

your view isn't broader. it's actually intensely myopic. and it's sad.

yup, the old "we only had three IN kids in 87" line. love it. check every other roster for the last 100 years. :) seriously, you new IU guys are crazy. throw everything against the wall and see what sticks. pull one year out of your butt and then tell us we've never relied on Indiana or Midwest kids. looooove it!

The state of Indiana has a burning passion for hoops and a special relationship with its high school players. Trust me, it's not that CTC doesn't think kids from Indiana are his best bet to win. He knows what you are in denial about. It's way better to get local kids at a state school like IU. His style just turns locals off.

your view isn't broader. it's actually intensely myopic. and it's sad.
I have been a fan for over 40 years so I am not a new IU guy and what is incorrect about saying that 1987 had only 3 Indiana players on the roster. If we can get the great Indiana kids that is great but if we don't then get great players from elsewhere.

I have been a fan for over 40 years so I am not a new IU guy and what is incorrect about saying that 1987 had only 3 Indiana players on the roster. If we can get the great Indiana kids that is great but if we don't then get great players from elsewhere.
competely over your head

yup, the old "we only had three IN kids in 87" line. love it. check every other roster for the last 100 years. :) seriously, you new IU guys are crazy. throw everything against the wall and see what sticks. pull one year out of your butt and then tell us we've never relied on Indiana or Midwest kids. looooove it!.

Well, I've read bik's post 3 times, and I don't see anywhere that he said this. Can you point it out? TIA.

Still over your head
I understand some think that the Indiana kids are more fundamental and that is somewhat true but it is not like it use to be back in the day. With more and more coaches being the younger generation they are coaching the same way that coaches use to in the state. It will get worse because the younger generation did not grow up playing the same style that we are use to.

I understand some think that the Indiana kids are more fundamental and that is somewhat true but it is not like it use to be back in the day. With more and more coaches being the younger generation they are coaching the same way that coaches use to in the state. It will get worse because the younger generation did not grow up playing the same style that we are use to.
IU is situated in the heart of an enormous and skilled talent pool, yet it's now necessary to go well outside of this hotbed to find players. That should concern every IU fan. The circumstances of 1987 were very much the exception rather than the rule, a true rarity. A 40 year fan would realize that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rakkasan29
IUis situated in the heart of an enormous and skilled talent pool, yet it's now necessary to go well outside of this hotbed to find players. That should concern every IU fan. The circumstances of 1987 were very much the exception rather than the rule, a true rarity. A 40 year fan would realize that.
I am saying start here and try to get the elite kids but if they don't want to stay here then go out and get the best players possible.

I guess it would be on the "wouldn't it be nice" list

• wouldn't it be nice if IU got top Indiana kids considering the deep connection between the state and high school bball? to follow a similar patter of our two hall of fame coaches?
  • wouldn't it be nice if we scheduled tougher teams?
  • wouldn't it be nice if we played better defense?
  • wouldn't if be nice if kids wanted to stay here longer or were creaned or booted off the team less often?

just add it to the list. LOL

Some people worry to much where the players come from. If CTC can land the Indiana kids that is great but if he is still bringing in talent why worry about so much.

you really want to deny the deep passion this state has for high school basketball?

oh man...so many of you have lost your way...truly sad

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT