ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana Mr. Basketball, where they went. History

becauseIknow

Junior
Feb 15, 2015
Chicago
So this got me thinking. The award started in 1939 and each year a player was chosen except for 1943 and 44 due to the war. It is the oldest such award in the nation, with many other states following suit later.

Where have the kids gone that were chosen?

79 Winners (four times there were co-winners)

IU 26 (three transferred out of IU, two in the Knight era)
Purdue 11
Kentucky 5
Butler 3
North Carolina 3
Ohio State 3
Cincinnati 3
Notre Dame 2
Miami (FL) 2
No College 2
Georgetown 1
Miami (OH) 1
Michigan State 1
Michigan 1
Virginia 1
Arizona 1
Northwestern 1
Evansville 1
New Mexico 1
Vincennes 1
Valpo 1
Southern 1
Xavier 1
Kansas 1
Anderson 1
Indiana Central 1
Colorado 1
Fordham 1
Missouri State 1

IU has had 33% of the winners come to campus. More than any other school. However, 67% chose not to go to IU. In some cases the kids weren't good enough. Other times, they chose to go elsewhere.

During the Knight era, 12 Mr. Indiana chose IU. It was actually 10 years, but one year both co-winners chose IU and in another year co-winners split between IU and PU. 21 winners did not. Of the 21 that did not, they went to the following schools

Kentucky (3), Cincinnati, North Carolina, Kansas, Purdue (5), Arizona, Ohio State, Butler, Northwestern, Evansville, Valpo, Southern, Miami, Missouri State, Vincennes. The kids from the major schools (13), IU went after every one of them with the exception of one that I'm aware of (Glenn Robinson).

So kids Knight went after, he got about half and lost about half. Harder today than it was back then.

Last edited:
So this got me thinking. The award started in 1939 and each year a player was chosen except for 1943 and 44 due to the war. It is the oldest such award in the nation, with many other states following suit later.

Purdue 11
Kentucky 5
Butler 3
North Carolina 3
Ohio State 3
Cincinnati 3
Notre Dame 2
Miami (FL) 2
No College 2
Georgetown 1
Miami (OH) 1
Michigan State 1
Michigan 1
Virginia 1
Arizona 1
Northwestern 1
Evansville 1
New Mexico 1
Vincennes 1
Valpo 1
Southern 1
Xavier 1
Kansas 1
Anderson 1
Indiana Central 1
Colorado 1
Fordham 1
Missouri State 1

IU has had 33% of the winners come to campus. More than any other school. However, 77% chose not to go to IU. In some cases the kids weren't good enough. Other times, they chose to go elsewhere.

During the Knight era, 12 Mr. Indiana chose IU. It was actually 10 years, but one year both co-winners chose IU and in another year co-winners split between IU and PU. 21 winners did not. Of the 21 that did not, they went to the following schools

Kentucky (3), Cincinnati, North Carolina, Kansas, Purdue (5), Arizona, Ohio State, Butler, Northwestern, Evansville, Valpo, Southern, Miami, Missouri State, Vincennes. The kids from the major schools (13), IU went after every one of them with the exception of one that I'm aware of (Glenn Robinson).

So kids Knight went after, he got about half and lost about half. Harder today than it was back then.
33% leaves 67%

Also thought it might interesting to look at some of the biggest names that didn't go to IU.

Oscar Robertson - Cincinnati
Greg Oden - Ohio State
Sean May - North Carolina
Glenn Robinson - Purdue (we didn't recruit Robinson)
Kyle Macy - Purdue (transferred to Kentucky)
Rick Mount - Purdue
Ron Bonham - Cincinnati
Jim Master - Kentucky (what a shooter he was)
Deshaun Thomas - Ohio State
Tyler Zeller - North Carolina
Luke Zeller - Notre Dame
Gary Harris - Michigan State
Trey Lyles - Kentucky

I'm sure I am missing a few.

Also thought it might interesting to look at some of the biggest names that didn't go to IU.

Greg Oden - Ohio State
Rick Mount - Purdue
Ron Bonham - Cincinnati
Luke Zeller - Notre Dame
Trey Lyles - Kentucky

Zach Randolph

Purdue 11
Kentucky 5
Butler 3
North Carolina 3
Ohio State 3
Cincinnati 3
Notre Dame 2
Miami (FL) 2
No College 2
Georgetown 1
Miami (OH) 1
Michigan State 1
Michigan 1
Virginia 1
Arizona 1
Northwestern 1
Evansville 1
New Mexico 1
Vincennes 1
Valpo 1
Southern 1
Xavier 1
Kansas 1
Anderson 1
Indiana Central 1
Colorado 1
Fordham 1
Missouri State 1

IU has had 33% of the winners come to campus. More than any other school. However, 67% chose not to go to IU. In some cases the kids weren't good enough. Other times, they chose to go elsewhere.

aren't you assuming that Knight went after every MB? I think that's a flawed assumption. Whereas in recent years, with improvement in the talent level, I believe we have pursued every winner. 50% to me would be "more than our share" and a great target that would demonstrate we are back to being the dominant program of IN in-state recruiting.

Reactions: Rakkasan29
Not sure how much we actually recruited Randolph, I know he had a pretty good police record by time he graduated HS (seems to have all of that behind him now and has turned out quite well). Also, as it relates to the OP, he was not a MBB, although was probably the best player in that class and the off the court stuff probably hurt him a lot there, JJ was that year.

Not sure how much we actually recruited Randolph, I know he had a pretty good police record by time he graduated HS (seems to have all of that behind him now and has turned out quite well). Also, as it relates to the OP, he was not a MBB, although was probably the best player in that class and the off the court stuff probably hurt him a lot there, JJ was that year.
You are correct about Zach not being a Mr. Basketball. At the time many people felt he was the best player in the state and if he hadn't had the problems with the law, he would have been Mr. Basketball. Plus there was a strong feeling in the northern part of the state that there was a positive bias towards players from the southern 2/3s of the state by the selectors. I have no idea if this perception was accurate but it was there.

aren't you assuming that Knight went after every MB? I think that's a flawed assumption. Whereas in recent years, with improvement in the talent level, I believe we have pursued every winner. 50% to me would be "more than our share" and a great target that would demonstrate we are back to being the dominant program of IN in-state recruiting.

RMK got 12 of 33, a little higher than 33%. Initially, he recruited Indiana, Illinois and Ohio. There was a dearth of talent and he was able to glean what he wanted. Time passed and he branched out and brought kids in from across the country. The growth of the AAU circuit, advances in transportation and the evolution of ESPN all gave greater exposure to the high school game. Recruiting is a national game now. Focusing on Mr. Basketball is fine but setting the bar for success at 50%, when historically, that level has never been reached regardless of coach is unreasonable.

You are correct about Zach not being a Mr. Basketball. At the time many people felt he was the best player in the state and if he hadn't had the problems with the law, he would have been Mr. Basketball. Plus there was a strong feeling in the northern part of the state that there was a positive bias towards players from the southern 2/3s of the state by the selectors. I have no idea if this perception was accurate but it was there.

The reverse happened in '76. Mike Woodson was the best player in the state. Dave Colescott's dad was AD at Marion and had a huge campaign for his being Mr Basketball which started in August. Broad Ripple lost for the third time of the season to Lawrence central in the sectionals and Marion went on to win the state championship that year so that didn't help either. (LC had Ty Dickerson and Steve Risley on it's front line)

Colescott went on to NC St and Woodson to IU. I'll leave it to the reader who was a better college and pro player.

Reactions: Rakkasan29

I'm not assuming it, in fact I stated in the original post that some were not good enough and thus we didn't go after them. This is why I broke down the list further near the bottom and showed that of 21 that didn't go to IU, let's look at just the ones that went to major programs. Thirteen in all, of which IU went after 12 of them. That's plenty that we went after and didn't get.

RMK got 12 of 33, a little higher than 33%. Initially, he recruited Indiana, Illinois and Ohio. There was a dearth of talent and he was able to glean what he wanted. Time passed and he branched out and brought kids in from across the country. The growth of the AAU circuit, advances in transportation and the evolution of ESPN all gave greater exposure to the high school game. Recruiting is a national game now. Focusing on Mr. Basketball is fine but setting the bar for success at 50%, when historically, that level has never been reached regardless of coach is unreasonable.

Again, you are assuming he pursued every Mr Bball, which is not the case. Looking at the list I'm guessing there were at least 9 he didn't recruit and a couple others that I think made it clear they wouldn't play for him, that he also may have made no serious run at. At any rate that improves to better than 50% of Mr B's that he got.

Again, you are assuming he pursued every Mr Bball, which is not the case. Looking at the list I'm guessing there were at least 9 he didn't recruit and a couple others that I think made it clear they wouldn't play for him, that he also may have made no serious run at. At any rate that improves to better than 50% of Mr B's that he got.

Your analysis leads to a higher probability of influence due to subjectivity. Taking the raw numbers is more objective and as such, more useful for unbiased analysis.

Reactions: jnono

I'm not assuming it, in fact I stated in the original post that some were not good enough and thus we didn't go after them. This is why I broke down the list further near the bottom and showed that of 21 that didn't go to IU, let's look at just the ones that went to major programs. Thirteen in all, of which IU went after 12 of them. That's plenty that we went after and didn't get.

Actually, I was addressing this set of numerical data in it's entirety. Using your process is far more subjective and lends itself to skewed results. I stand by the statement that 50% is unreasonable as no coach in IU history has ever approached even 40%

Your analysis leads to a higher probability of influence due to subjectivity. Taking the raw numbers is more objective and as such, more useful for unbiased analysis.
I get what you are trying to say, but how is not recruiting someone subjective? Either he was or he wasn't

Did Bob Knight get every Mr Basketball? Maybe not - but he got his fair share.

What we really need to see is how the recruiting breakdown is for his tenure at IU on the state's top talent. How many top Indiana kids did he go after and not get?

Purdue 11
Kentucky 5
Butler 3
North Carolina 3
Ohio State 3
Cincinnati 3
Notre Dame 2
Miami (FL) 2
No College 2
Georgetown 1
Miami (OH) 1
Michigan State 1
Michigan 1
Virginia 1
Arizona 1
Northwestern 1
Evansville 1
New Mexico 1
Vincennes 1
Valpo 1
Southern 1
Xavier 1
Kansas 1
Anderson 1
Indiana Central 1
Colorado 1
Fordham 1
Missouri State 1

I thought Iowa got one in Mark Jewell in the id 80's

The reverse happened in '76. Mike Woodson was the best player in the state. Dave Colescott's dad was AD at Marion and had a huge campaign for his being Mr Basketball which started in August. Broad Ripple lost for the third time of the season to Lawrence central in the sectionals and Marion went on to win the state championship that year so that didn't help either. (LC had Ty Dickerson and Steve Risley on it's front line)

Colescott went on to NC St and Woodson to IU. I'll leave it to the reader who was a better college and pro player.
I thought Colescott went to UNC

Here are Mr. Basketball for the RMK years

1971 Mike Flynn[36] Jeffersonville Kentucky 1975 NBA Draft: 7th Rnd, 113th overall by the Philadelphia 76ers
1972 Phil Cox[37] Connersville Butler (1972–74) / Gardner–Webb (1974-1976)
1973 Kent Benson[38] New Castle Indiana 1977 NBA Draft: 1st Rnd, 1st overall by the Milwaukee Bucks
1974 (tie) Steve Collier[39] Southwestern Cincinnati
1974 (tie) Roy Taylor[40] Anderson Vincennes University
1975 Kyle Macy[41] Peru [Purdue (1975–1976) / Kentucky (1976–1980) 1979 NBA Draft: 1st Rnd, 22nd overall by the Phoenix Suns
1976 Dave Colescott[42] Marion North Carolina
1977 Ray Tolbert[43] Madison Heights Indiana 1981 NBA Draft: 1st Rnd, 18th overall by the New Jersey Nets
1978 David Magley[44] South Bend LaSalle Kansas
1979 Steve Bouchie[45] Washington Indiana
1980 Jim Master[46] Ft. Wayne Harding Kentucky 1984 NBA Draft: 6th Rnd, 127th overall by the Atlanta Hawks
1981 Dan Palombizio[47] Michigan City Rogers Purdue (1981–1983) / Ball State (1984–1986)
1982 Roger Harden[48] Valparaiso Kentucky
1983 Steve Alford[49] New Castle Indiana 1987 NBA Draft: 2nd Rnd, 26th overall by the Dallas Mavericks
1984 (tie) Troy Lewis[50] Anderson Purdue
1984 (tie) Delray Brooks[51][52] Michigan City Rogers Indiana (1984–1985) / Providence (1986–1988)
1985 Jeff Grose[53] Warsaw Northwestern
1986 Mark Jewell Lafayette Jefferson Evansville
1987 (tie) Jay Edwards[54] Marion Indiana 1989 NBA Draft: 2nd Rnd, 33rd overall by the Los Angeles Clippers
1987 (tie) Lyndon Jones[55] Marion Indiana
1988 Woody Austin[56] Richmond Purdue
1989 Pat Graham[57] Floyd Central Indiana
1990 Damon Bailey[58] Bedford North Lawrence Indiana 1994 NBA Draft: 2nd Rnd, 44th overall by the Indiana Pacers
1991 Glenn Robinson Gary Roosevelt Purdue 1994 NBA Draft 1st Rnd, 1st overall by the Milwaukee Bucks
1992 Charles Macon Michigan City Elston Ohio State (1992–1994) / Central Michigan (1995–1997)
1993 Maurice "Kojak" Fuller[59] Anderson Southern
1994 Bryce Drew Valparaiso Valparaiso 1998 NBA Draft: 1st Rnd, 16th overall by the Houston Rockets
1995 Damon Frierson Ben Davis Miami (OH)
1996 Kevin Ault Warsaw Missouri State
1997 Luke Recker DeKalb Indiana (1997–1999) / Iowa (2000–2002)
1998 Tom Coverdale Noblesville Indiana
1999 Jason Gardner Indianapolis North Central Arizona
2000 Jared Jeffries Bloomington North Indiana

He garnered twelve in thirty years. There were ties in '74, '84 and '87 which meant there were a total of thirty three players. (36.4%) The numbers were bolstered by getting three of the four Mr. Basketball players in his final years at IU. Given the differences in recruiting in this time vs. the more regional times of the '70's and early '80's, 50% is unrealistic in expectation of landing the state's highest awarded player.

Reactions: jnono and JFM3

Greg Oden - Ohio State
Rick Mount - Purdue
Ron Bonham - Cincinnati
Luke Zeller - Notre Dame
Trey Lyles - Kentucky

Oscar's case was because of racism at IU. In other words Hoosier Nation really paid a huge price because of racist attitudes. I am glad we have gotten better over the years. Just think what Robertson would look like in an IU uniform. My Dad said he was amazing in the state tourney on television. He was a joy to watch. The BIG O!!!!!!!

Here are Mr. Basketball for the RMK years

1971 Mike Flynn[36] Jeffersonville Kentucky 1975 NBA Draft: 7th Rnd, 113th overall by the Philadelphia 76ers
1972 Phil Cox[37] Connersville Butler (1972–74) / Gardner–Webb (1974-1976)
1973 Kent Benson[38] New Castle Indiana 1977 NBA Draft: 1st Rnd, 1st overall by the Milwaukee Bucks
1974 (tie) Steve Collier[39] Southwestern Cincinnati
1974 (tie) Roy Taylor[40] Anderson Vincennes University
1975 Kyle Macy[41] Peru [Purdue (1975–1976) / Kentucky (1976–1980) 1979 NBA Draft: 1st Rnd, 22nd overall by the Phoenix Suns
1976 Dave Colescott[42] Marion North Carolina
1977 Ray Tolbert[43] Madison Heights Indiana 1981 NBA Draft: 1st Rnd, 18th overall by the New Jersey Nets
1978 David Magley[44] South Bend LaSalle Kansas
1979 Steve Bouchie[45] Washington Indiana
1980 Jim Master[46] Ft. Wayne Harding Kentucky 1984 NBA Draft: 6th Rnd, 127th overall by the Atlanta Hawks
1981 Dan Palombizio[47] Michigan City Rogers Purdue (1981–1983) / Ball State (1984–1986)
1982 Roger Harden[48] Valparaiso Kentucky
1983 Steve Alford[49] New Castle Indiana 1987 NBA Draft: 2nd Rnd, 26th overall by the Dallas Mavericks
1984 (tie) Troy Lewis[50] Anderson Purdue
1984 (tie) Delray Brooks[51][52] Michigan City Rogers Indiana (1984–1985) / Providence (1986–1988)
1985 Jeff Grose[53] Warsaw Northwestern
1986 Mark Jewell Lafayette Jefferson Evansville
1987 (tie) Jay Edwards[54] Marion Indiana 1989 NBA Draft: 2nd Rnd, 33rd overall by the Los Angeles Clippers
1987 (tie) Lyndon Jones[55] Marion Indiana
1988 Woody Austin[56] Richmond Purdue
1989 Pat Graham[57] Floyd Central Indiana
1990 Damon Bailey[58] Bedford North Lawrence Indiana 1994 NBA Draft: 2nd Rnd, 44th overall by the Indiana Pacers
1991 Glenn Robinson Gary Roosevelt Purdue 1994 NBA Draft 1st Rnd, 1st overall by the Milwaukee Bucks
1992 Charles Macon Michigan City Elston Ohio State (1992–1994) / Central Michigan (1995–1997)
1993 Maurice "Kojak" Fuller[59] Anderson Southern
1994 Bryce Drew Valparaiso Valparaiso 1998 NBA Draft: 1st Rnd, 16th overall by the Houston Rockets
1995 Damon Frierson Ben Davis Miami (OH)
1996 Kevin Ault Warsaw Missouri State
1997 Luke Recker DeKalb Indiana (1997–1999) / Iowa (2000–2002)
1998 Tom Coverdale Noblesville Indiana
1999 Jason Gardner Indianapolis North Central Arizona
2000 Jared Jeffries Bloomington North Indiana

He garnered twelve in thirty years. There were ties in '74, '84 and '87 which meant there were a total of thirty three players. (36.4%) The numbers were bolstered by getting three of the four Mr. Basketball players in his final years at IU. Given the differences in recruiting in this time vs. the more regional times of the '70's and early '80's, 50% is unrealistic in expectation of landing the state's highest awarded player.
On that list you can automatically eliminate a few. Bryce Drew, daddy issues:)

Mike Flynn...hard to count that year. He was hired in April. If TC gets three years, RMK should get at the least a few months

Jewell/Ault/Frierson and a couple of others weren't very good

Some had a checkered history ZAck, Kojak, Big dog(?)

When the list is edited down to realistic possibilities it's closer to 50%

CTC years

2007 Eric Gordon Indianapolis North Central Indiana 2008 NBA Draft: 1st Rnd, 7th overall by the Los Angeles Clippers
2008 Tyler Zeller Washington North Carolina 2012 NBA Draft: 1st Rnd, 17th overall by the Dallas Mavericks
2009 Jordan Hulls Bloomington South Indiana
2010 Deshaun Thomas Bishop Luers Ohio State 2013 NBA Draft: 2nd Rnd, 58th overall by the San Antonio Spurs
2011 Cody Zeller Washington Indiana 2013 NBA Draft: 1st Rnd, 4th overall by the Charlotte Bobcats
2012 Gary Harris Hamilton Southeastern Michigan State 2014 NBA Draft: 1st Rnd, 19th by the Chicago Bulls
2013 Zak Irvin Hamilton Southeastern Michigan
2014 Trey Lyles Indianapolis Tech Kentucky 2015 NBA Draft: 1st Rnd, 12th by the Utah Jazz
2015 Caleb Swanigan Homestead Purdue
2016 Kyle Guy Lawrence Central Virginia
Awards by school

Three of ten, four if you count the commit of Trey Lyles. IMO, the pissing match with Tom Lyles was a big issue and is roughly equivalent to the many transfers RMK had.

CTC years

2007 Eric Gordon Indianapolis North Central Indiana 2008 NBA Draft: 1st Rnd, 7th overall by the Los Angeles Clippers
2008 Tyler Zeller Washington North Carolina 2012 NBA Draft: 1st Rnd, 17th overall by the Dallas Mavericks
2010 Deshaun Thomas Bishop Luers Ohio State 2013 NBA Draft: 2nd Rnd, 58th overall by the San Antonio Spurs
2011 Cody Zeller Washington Indiana 2013 NBA Draft: 1st Rnd, 4th overall by the Charlotte Bobcats
2012 Gary Harris Hamilton Southeastern Michigan State 2014 NBA Draft: 1st Rnd, 19th by the Chicago Bulls
2014 Trey Lyles Indianapolis Tech Kentucky 2015 NBA Draft: 1st Rnd, 12th by the Utah Jazz
Awards by school

Three of ten, four if you count the commit of Trey Lyles. IMO, the pissing match with Tom Lyles was a big issue and is roughly equivalent to the many transfers RMK had.
Eric was with KS, and Tyler was too soon, imo

CTC years

Awards by school

Gordon played for Sampson. Tyler Zeller signed his LOI with UNC in fall of 2007 but Crean wasn't hired until spring 2008.

Crean will be starting his 9th season so 9 teams to recruit for. Actually 8 teams if you don't count his first team since he was hired in April of '08 and he pretty much inherited what Sampson left for the '08-'09 season.

Gordon played for Sampson. Tyler Zeller signed his LOI with UNC in fall of 2007 but Crean wasn't hired until spring 2008.

Crean will be starting his 9th season so 9 teams to recruit for. Actually 8 teams if you don't count his first team since he was hired in April of '08 and he pretty much inherited what Sampson left for the '08-'09 season.
thanks for the correction

In Knight's list you failed to mention Sherron Wilkerson, who was the 93 Mr Basketball before having it out with Jim Hammel. Kojak then replaced him.

I forgot about that....didn't Bird have some issues too
Bird wasn't Mr BB. He was lost at IU and left because he felt out of place. Knight has been quoted as saying he wishes he would have took Bird aside and tried to talk with him, but at that point in his career he just wouldn't do that.

CTC years

Awards by school

Four if you count Trey Lyles??? Stop it, your embarrassing yourself.

Bird wasn't Mr BB. He was lost at IU and left because he felt out of place. Knight has been quoted as saying he wishes he would have took Bird aside and tried to talk with him, but at that point in his career he just wouldn't do that.
I think he had issues during the all star game, refused to go in(?)....I'm not sure on this but I do recall him talking about it

RMK had three transfer out prior to eligibility completion, how do they count? Bouchie, Brooks and Recker
They count as gets...who then transferred. Lyle was never "got"...counting him in anyway is a real streeeeetch

Where/when did Bouchie transfer

RMK had three transfer out prior to eligibility completion, how do they count? Bouchie, Brooks and Recker
Knight got every Mr. Basketball he pursued, save one, and he missed on a few that he should have recruited but did not. Brooks was overmatched and left, Recker was never happy and left. Bouchie never left.

Anyone who even pretends to be an IU fan must see the importance of getting in state talent.

Crean's best years were anchored by Indiana talent.

Sampson had a top team his second year because of Gordon. The best player in the state.

Davis's run to the national title game was loaded with Indiana talent.

In state talent is the life blood of this program. If you can't get in state talent....well...ask Mike Davis.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT