ADVERTISEMENT

indiana house passes 10 cent gas tax

joelefty

Sophomore
Oct 8, 2001
At what point will the working poor realize what the republican party is doing to them?

Somehow Bosma will claim that
the 30 or House Democrats are to blame.

So what happened to the ITR lease/sale Major Moves money?

Somehow Bosma will claim that
the 30 or House Democrats are to blame.

So what happened to the ITR lease/sale Major Moves money?

Daniels & Pence spent it all. That was only a band-aid solution to the road funding issues as inflation continues to happen and cars become more efficient (meaning less tax collected per car on the road).

Daniels & Pence spent it all. That was only a band-aid solution to the road funding issues as inflation continues to happen and cars become more efficient (meaning less tax collected per car on the road).

Yes, the gas tax hasn't been increased in 15 years, and has lost about 20% of its purchasing power just via inflation. Not to mention the higher fuel economies of cars on the roads.

Yes, the gas tax hasn't been increased in 15 years, and has lost about 20% of its purchasing power just via inflation. Not to mention the higher fuel economies of cars on the roads.

I agree. I don't have a problem with this gas tax hike. Having looked at the particulars, it looks like it makes pretty good sense.

Well, that was the intent -- to spend it all. And I don't think it was ever designed to be or promoted as an ongoing source of transportation infrastructure revenue.

Imagine if they'd have sat on the money while needed road projects had to rely on some other source of funding. That would've been borderline scandalous.

Nobody likes tax increases -- whether it's assessed on fuel or any other way. But, for the reasons you cite and others, I think this is appropriate and reasonable...and probably even a bit overdue.

Hoosiers will not complain to a large extent due to the current price of gas being rather low. Can you imagine how they would react if gasoline was say at the $4 gallon mark and the state assembly jacked up the price even more?

By the way, improving infrastructure is a good example of government helping improve the efficiency of workers. Spending less time driving to work, for example, simply makes our workforce more productive. Ditto for improving the efficiency and safety of our trucking industry.
We often forget how government can and does improve our business climate when we focus mainly on taxes and regulations.

I agree. I don't have a problem with this gas tax hike. Having looked at the particulars, it looks like it makes pretty good sense.
I don't either but I do have a problem with them giving the governor the power to change roads to toll roads if that is what the bill actually says. They're just trying to cover their rear if one of the roads were to be changed to a toll road.

I don't either but I do have a problem with them giving the governor the power to change roads to toll roads if that is what the bill actually says. They're just trying to cover their rear if one of the roads were to be changed to a toll road.
I like toll roads. Reduces traffic and keeps the low life away.

At what point will the working poor realize what the republican party is doing to them?
There have been numerous discussions about raising energy taxes, including gasoline taxes specifically, on this forum. Generally, the left side is all for it and the right side not so much. Now that a Republican legislature looks at doing it a self proclaimed lefty says it proves the GOP is out to get the working poor. Are energy taxes good or bad only based on who actually supports or passed them? Is it all about partisanship? I think it mostly is - on both sides.

Reactions: Chester Fried
Bravo. Bosma should be commended. It needed to happen. Has been for a long time. The price of gas fluctuates up and down at least by a dime from week to week. No one will feel it. I'm sick and tired of all the No New Taxes nonsense that's been Republican dogma for so long. As has been mentioned, the driving public has been paying less and less gas taxes over the years due to better efficiency and inflation. I doubt this even brings them back to even from the last time it was raised. I'm a poor white working class hero and can afford it, much more than I can afford repairs necessitated by unmaintained roads.

Reactions: Chester Fried
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT