ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana got a lot more red this week

I often wonder what the hell we are all going to do in 10-20 years. White collar jobs now more than ever impacted by automation and offshoring. A replay of what happened to our factories.

Everyone shops online. Working from home, it depresses me seeing the number of Amazon delivery trucks per day (on top of UPS, USPS, and FedEx). I guess we can all drive delivery trucks...at least until that goes to self driving. :(

I think it's inevitable that we're going to need UBI because of automation.

Going to be a world (and eventually a Solar System) of plenty and we need to make sure a few ultra, ultra wealthy families don't own all the robots doing the work and take everything while a very large portion of society has no meaningful job prospects.

Brazil is very, ever so slightly, worse, in terms of death as a percentage of population. Maybe add in a few very small, poor countries.

We have 4.5% of the world's population and 18.6% of the world's COVID-19 deaths. There really isn't any good way to spin that, other than that we are finally below 20% of the world's total. Yippee. We are only 4 times worse than average, as (supposedly) the most technologically advanced society.
Too much testing possibly?

In the spring, the idea that we needed to keep infections under the maximum that hospitals could treat seemed very reasonable. Now that is viewed as communism.

I heard an interview with an ER doc who was asked if they could handle a multiple car crash. His answer was no, they have no room at all. In smaller communities people in accidents, with heart attacks, strokes, are going to die because the closest hospital cannot accept them and they have to travel to a regional. And in some cases the closest regional cannot take them.

I heard a doctor in South Dakota yesterday suggest that they are heading for triage where only the patients with the best chance of surviving are accepted.

I wonder if that will be called a death panel.

The negligence of the "at-risk" population is disappointing. You are in the minority.

Testing for death?

I think that everyone tests for death...

This has nothing to do with death and everything to do with infectious spread. Our case fatality ratio is lower than Brazil and various other countries, despite our terrible health relative to other countries. Our higher case counts and death counts are a direct result of more tests.

This has nothing to do with death and everything to do with infectious spread. Our case fatality ratio is lower than Brazil and various other countries, despite our terrible health relative to other countries. Our higher case counts and death counts are a direct result of more tests.

Disagree. Infectious spread is driving much higher death counts. Even if we are doing better with mortality rates, infecting exponentially more people will still lead to a shit load of deaths. As we are seeing now.

Hillz I don’t see how any reasonable person can look at this and not think we have failed miserably. The greatest nation in the world should do better. We should have higher expectations.

The death numbers are 3-5 747s crashing everyday. If air travel was that unsafe, we’d do something about it.

Almost 1900 Americans died yesterday and the POTUS doesn’t give a shit. He gave up on pretending to care months ago. I don’t understand how he is not held accountable for the total dereliction of duty. He’s simply not doing his job.
What would you have him do?

Again for the 100th time, support the scientists and ENCOURAGE social distancing and masks until the vaccine is actually implemented. In other words...LEAD.
OMG, do you think the public hasn't been told what to do? Have you been living under a rock?

Even if he could change things, did you read the link? Marines who were quarantined and wore face coverings and washed their hands STILL got it.

But don't let a valid scientific study get in your way.

Our higher case counts and death counts are a direct result of more tests.

Huh? Our higher death counts are a direct result of more tests?

So, we should save lives and stop testing immediately?

Come on, dude. It's really simple. Our rising case counts and death counts are a direct result of the virus spreading thanks to our pathetic response as a nation to this pandemic.

OMG, do you think the public hasn't been told what to do? Have you been living under a rock?

Even if he could change things, did you read the link? Marines who were quarantined and wore face coverings and washed their hands STILL got it.

But don't let a valid scientific study get in your way.

Totes. We're rounding the corner on this thing and should be mostly past it by Easter 2021 just like President Trump said we would be.

Reactions: Bill4411
OMG, do you think the public hasn't been told what to do?

Then been given a wink by the POTUS.

Then been told to resist by the POTUS.

Then been told it's just a guideline.

Then been told that POTUS "hears" that the scientists are all wrong and have been all wrong since day 1, so we can't let the cure be worse than the disease.

Have you been living under a rock?

OMG, do you think the public hasn't been told what to do?

Then been given a wink by the POTUS.

Then been told to resist by the POTUS.

Then been told it's just a guideline.

Then been told that POTUS "hears" that the scientists are all wrong and have been all wrong since day 1, so we can't let the cure be worse than the disease.

Have you been living under a rock?
Thanks. I give up with Dan. I can't deal with a man who thinks down is up and right is wrong. Exhausting.

Nothing you can do is 100% protective. You can indeed do everything right and still get it, if the disease is rampant enough. 80% effective 6 months ago would do a lot, but it does less now.

But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't all be doing whatever we reasonably can to lower the carnage.

Come on, dude. It's really simple. Our rising case counts and death counts are a direct result of the virus spreading thanks to our pathetic response as a nation to this pandemic.
It’s interesting, and more than a little sad, to note that if you compare COVID to the 1918 pandemic, the world has had 3% the number of deaths. However, the United States has already reached 37% of its deaths from the 1918 pandemic.

I know it's old, but...

1200x0.jpg

Looking at the Indiana website, we had on the 16th 372 people in the hospital with COVID. That number is still preliminary as some data arrives late. Our highest number in the spring was March 30 with 194. So we are very close to double the number hospitalized from our highest day in the spring. The statewide deaths are now equal to the spring numbers, but the rate is lower. Since we know there is a roughly 10-day gap between infections and hospitalizations and the infection rate is going up it is safe to assume hospitalizations in 10 days will be higher still.

Bloomington bars/restaurants lost Little 5 and graduation money entirely. My neighbor used to be a manager at Nicks, he said how those two events gave restaurants the money to make it to September. They now will lose 8 weeks of students, some of it during B10 basketball for the bars. I think we will lose more.

The government could easily pay 100% of rent until April for restaurants everywhere. With that covered, they might well make it until the vaccine.

when this all hit last winter/spring, i immediately said it was going to be with us much longer than others were thinking, and that the key to the recovery once this did pass, was how financially intact Joe Worker and Joe Small Business Owner was at that point in time, and laid out the best way to insure everyone came out of this not financially decimated.

and everyone here couldn't spit in my face enough.

then i laid out that there was one, and only one, way to hold down deaths once it was obvious that many refused to mask or distance, which was to keep the at risk universe separated from the non at risk universe, and that the key to that was the govt financially and logistically enabling so.

and everyone here spit in my face for that too.

as beyond incompetent and heartless as Trump and others in govt have been, i can't help but see total and complete idiocracy everywhere i look. (of course, being able to distinguish idiocracy from malevolence isn't always easy).

we could be looking at far less economic damage, and far less deaths, even with much of the stupid and self absorbed population refusing masks or distancing.

we knew our "rents" economy was the economic obstacle, and flat refused to strategize around that.

we quickly learned who healthwise was at risk, and who wasn't, and flat refused to strategize around that game changing discovery as well.

incompetence, malevolence, and idiocracy, have ruled the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaxCoke
BB&B was going under before Covid. It may have just slightly accelerated the timeline.

I actually thought they had an "everything must go" sale last summer. I remember I went in one day summer 2019 and it seemed like people were emptying out everything on the shelves. Sort of like Radio Shack 3 or 4 yrs ago...

when this all hit last winter/spring, i immediately said it was going to be with us much longer than others were thinking, and that the key to the recovery once this did pass, was how financially intact Joe Worker and Joe Small Business Owner was at that point in time, and laid out the best way to insure everyone came out of this not financially decimated.

and everyone here couldn't spit in my face enough.

then i laid out that there was one, and only one, way to hold down deaths once it was obvious that many refused to mask or distance, which was to keep the at risk universe separated from the non at risk universe, and that the key to that was the govt financially and logistically enabling so.

and everyone here spit in my face for that too.

as beyond incompetent and heartless as Trump and others in govt have been, i can't help but see total and complete idiocracy everywhere i look. (of course, being able to distinguish idiocracy from malevolence isn't always easy).

we could be looking at far less economic damage, and far less deaths, even with much of the stupid and self absorbed population refusing masks or distancing.

we knew our "rents" economy was the economic obstacle, and flat refused to strategize around that.

we quickly learned who healthwise was at risk, and who wasn't, and flat refused to strategize around that game changing discovery as well.

incompetence, malevolence, and idiocracy, have ruled the day.
Not everyone here spit in your face. You’re a top twenty poster on this board. You bring content and ideas to the board

In the spring, the idea that we needed to keep infections under the maximum that hospitals could treat seemed very reasonable. Now that is viewed as communism.

I heard an interview with an ER doc who was asked if they could handle a multiple car crash. His answer was no, they have no room at all. In smaller communities people in accidents, with heart attacks, strokes, are going to die because the closest hospital cannot accept them and they have to travel to a regional. And in some cases the closest regional cannot take them.

I heard a doctor in South Dakota yesterday suggest that they are heading for triage where only the patients with the best chance of surviving are accepted.

I wonder if that will be called a death panel.

The irony of your reference to SD, is that Noem is such a COVID denier that she has convinced people in her state the virus is a "hoax". It was SD where the nurse was talking about some of her patients even on their deathbeds who refuse to acknowledge that they are dying of COVID. Seemingly with their dying breaths, they are maintaining that COVID is a hoax, and doesn't really exist.

Goebbels would be proud. And maybe just a touch envious...

Reactions: gcovey and Bill4411
Global warming and several other problems are ultimately caused by overpopulation. Especially of polluting Americans. Trump stumbled into a solution for that. If there are still humans in 150 years he may get some credit for that.

Supermarkets most common Covid exposure location in England, data show

Here are the proportions of all common locations reported in the data:

Supermarket - 18.3%
Secondary school - 12.7%
Primary school - 10.1%
Hospital - 3.6%
Care home - 2.8%
College - 2.4%
Warehouse - 2.2%
Nursery preschool - 1.8%
Pub or bar - 1.6%
Hospitality - 1.5%
University - 1.4%
Manufacture engineering - 1.4%
Household fewer than five - 1.2%
General practice - 1.1%
Gym - 1.1%
Restaurant or cafe - 1.0%

Supermarkets most common Covid exposure location in England, data show

Here are the proportions of all common locations reported in the data:

Supermarket - 18.3%
Secondary school - 12.7%
Primary school - 10.1%
Hospital - 3.6%
Care home - 2.8%
College - 2.4%
Warehouse - 2.2%
Nursery preschool - 1.8%
Pub or bar - 1.6%
Hospitality - 1.5%
University - 1.4%
Manufacture engineering - 1.4%
Household fewer than five - 1.2%
General practice - 1.1%
Gym - 1.1%
Restaurant or cafe - 1.0%
That's an awful article.

Not everyone here spit in your face. You’re a top twenty poster on this board. You bring content and ideas to the board

The problem was he demanded we do nothing but wait on the unicorn. To get it passed we need 51 Senators. One of them would need to be Mitch. Since at least one Dem would vote against it, getting to 51 just was not going to happen. So while we waited on the unicorn we needed to take protective measures.

If the Democrats win both Georgia seats (will not happen), maybe Romney or Collins will make up for Manchin and vote for something.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Covid, not politics. Twenty-one counties are now in the red (highest) restriction zone. NE Indiana is getting hit especially hard. At least three counties (Marion, Allen, Floyd) have taken advantage of the options offered by the governor's new order to impose additional restrictions on businesses, including limiting restaurant/bar/gym capacity and hours. I assume more will be following suit shortly. It seems the governor is determined not to impose these restrictions on a state-wide level this time around.

I suspect he is trying desperately to keep the economy chugging through the holiday shopping season as much as possible. This is the time of year that really pumps life into the retail world. In restaurants, it's often said that November and December are when you make the money you need to pay February and March bills. But with hospital resources reaching critical limits, I wonder how long he can hold out.

Daviess County feels like the worst it’s been. Seems many more people testing positive but with less severe symptoms. I’ve lost 3 clients/friends in last couple weeks. One harsh circumstance is a 80 year old father and 53 year old son. A second son age 57 nearly died over a month ago. Crazy story with him. The family was expecting he would pass. During the night he somehow got himself off the ventilator. The next morning they didn’t reconnect the ventilator. Within in days he went home from the hospital. He’s still doing therapy and has health issues. The wife of the father has early stages of dementia and she avoided contracting Covid.

An IT person of a client contracted a very light case over two weeks ago. He returned to work this week. Yesterday he went home early feeling worse than he ever did during his quarantine. He was still home today.

The great unknown is what harm this does to your body after you have recovered.

Last edited:
Talked with 3 different friends working in 3 different Indy hospitals. All paint the situation as dire and 2 of the 3 are having to send patients to other hospitals because they are full. Said it is much worse than spring, with no relief in sight and they expect it to get worse right before Christmas, due to Thanksgiving get togethers.

• Sad
Reactions: TommyCracker
There's something to be said for not being on speaking terms with family.
You could social distance like the Clampetts did, with their green felt "fancy eatin' table" and those long "pot passers" for Grannies possum stew.

Disagree. Infectious spread is driving much higher death counts. Even if we are doing better with mortality rates, infecting exponentially more people will still lead to a shit load of deaths. As we are seeing now.

Hillz I don’t see how any reasonable person can look at this and not think we have failed miserably. The greatest nation in the world should do better. We should have higher expectations.
I want flying cars!

Reactions: 76-1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT