ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana Fever - Caitlin Clark

Where do you see the Caitlin Clark effect taking the WNBA

• Total voters
I've seen literally zero people talk about her salary.
I’ve seen it quite a bit on social media. Every time I do I say that the league can’t afford to go bankrupt so the way to support is by going to games and watching. The stars like Caitlin, will be fine, the others are the ones that will struggle. I think her Nike deal was 20 million and she’s getting her own shoe.

Because they don't have to shoot that far out. I'm betting there are countless men who could hit those shots if needed.
True. She doesn't have to but it's the same line for men and women in college - 22 feet, 1 ¾ inches. Clark could beat most college men in 3 point shooting.

The NBA all star game had a three point contest and Steph barely eked out a win over Sabrina Ionescu. It was exciting.

True. She doesn't have to but it's the same line for men and women in college - 22 feet, 1 ¾ inches. Clark could beat most college men in 3 point shooting.
I realize the line is the same distance as well as the ball is the same size, oh wait.

Doubtful. If she had to use a men’s ball, her range would shrink considerably. If men were using a women’s ball most D1 men would have logo range.
True the women's ball is smaller than the men's. If they both use the balls they normally play with (no jokes), I'd bet on Clark over most men in a 3 point shooting contest. If they both use the women's ball, I'd still bet on her over most men in college, but maybe not quite as many men. We don't know, but it would be interesting to watch.

I enjoy a women's game now and then. But it's just too obvious the difference in skill and physical ability to be something I ohh, and ahh over.

Now, women's tennis. I don't know why the difference, but the high skill level stands fine on it's own, it doesn't show up as "wow, they can't power the ball as hard as men" or "they run and cut slower than the men", it just stands 100% fine on it's own. So I can sit down and watch hours of a women's match.

But I don't know why basketball looks so slow and awkward while tennis doesn't. I enjoy the basketball in shorter doses. But unlike a women's tennis major, I'm not going to schedule watching a playoff game, except maybe the Hoosiers.

I watch women's billiards too, but in that case they are nearly equal with the best of the men anyway.
Alot of it comes down to whether the viewer can picture themselves dominating these women at their sport. Sounds weird but that's what it is. Vast majority of us have some playing background in basketball, baseball, or football at some level. Lesser extent golf and tennis. I find myself watching more womens golf and tennis than basketball and softball and that's a big reason why.

Last edited:
Always smart to take harder shots than needed in basketball.
Yup when you hit a decent percentage it sure is. Especially when they haven’t even started guarding you yet. Your theory kind of forgets the fact that three points generally is worth more than two.

I've seen literally zero people talk about her salary.
Must just be Yahoo then. Was front page. Googled some things to check some facts, and that led to different ones.
Of you don't have any internet news feed then no. you will see zero talk. Need to have internet portal stuff. Then it's in many places. The one I saw first:

salary outrage

Alot of it comes down to whether the viewer can pictures themselves dominating these women at their sport. Sounds weird but that's what it is. Vast majority of us have some playing background in basketball, baseball, or football at some level. Lesser extent golf and tennis. I find myself watching more womens golf and tennis than basketball and softball and that's a big reason why.
That makes sense. Interesting

Must just be Yahoo then. Was front page. Googled some things to check some facts, and that led to different ones.
Of you don't have any internet news feed then no. you will see zero talk. Need to have internet portal stuff. Then it's in many places. The one I saw first:

salary outrage
It’s a Facebook, Instagram meme also

How do women support men's sports? If they go to games it is probably because their guys are going. Now that is admirable but not the same thing as being a fan themselves. The bottom line is women generally are not into sports as much as men.

Men are generally more interested in sports, but the rest of your post is so wrong that it's almost beyond belief.

Reactions: outside shooter
Yup when you hit a decent percentage it sure is. Especially when they haven’t even started guarding you yet. Your theory kind of forgets the fact that three points generally is worth more than two.
Are 29 foot three pointers generally worth more than 23 foot three pointers? I think in the MTV celebrity game they may have been.

Men are generally more interested in sports, but the rest of your post is so wrong that it's almost beyond belief.
Yeah I’d like to hear the laughs coming from my friends if he said that about me. And many of my friends. My mom and dad were both sports fans. They had three daughters, all sports fans with me being the most avid.

That makes sense. Interesting
And to extend those comments a bit back to Clark...her two best basketball skills are her stepback deep 3s and her passing skills. Yes she has some ill-advised passes here and there but the wow factor on those two skills are off the charts. Those two skills are what brought the masses to watch her play. Breaking records, playing for the home state team and getting to the finals 2 years in a row were the icing on top. Fun to watch, and I'll tune in as much as I can to see how it translates to the wnba.

I believe I read that Doyel made a heart shape with his hands. Very creepy, especially from a reporter covering Indy sports. I used to like Doyel, but I it seem like he is turning into a cranky and creepy old man.
It wasn't that he made the heart symbol. It was that he implied to a young woman that his acceptance was conditional on her compliance. There is some overreaction to it, but it was at the very least unprofessional in that setting.

He was trying to be funny, but in a professional setting compliance beyond the actual task of your job has kind of a slippery slope to it.

Alot of it comes down to whether the viewer can picture themselves dominating these women at their sport. Sounds weird but that's what it is. Vast majority of us have some playing background in basketball, baseball, or football at some level. Lesser extent golf and tennis. I find myself watching more womens golf and tennis than basketball and softball and that's a big reason why.
Works for me. The ladies could kick my butt at golf . (My best handicap in my 30s was 9) Other than distance, and now at my age they'd outdrive me too and outscore me by miles. I never wanted to know if the top ladies could beat me at tennis... (In 8th grade I was starting to play quite a bit and could easily beat the ladies on our high school team, the difference in power was clear and I didn't even grow till senior year. Local high school ladies though, no Serenas.)

At IM pickup basketball in college, I wasn't great, just played for hours and hours so could shoot and got picked for a lot of games, and I'm short, 5 9, but ladies from the college team would mix in and play with our scrimmages sometimes, and they wouldn't score. Unless you gave a big cushion they wouldn't get off a shot. That was very small college though (after IU) and nowhere near the UConn, S. Carolina, and Caitlin Clark level of talent.
(In high school a neighbor junior high girl, very short, used to score against me and her brothers out on their patio by going way deep where she could get off a shot. She later played college ball and was a ringer three point shooter, still only about 5 feet tall.)

Last edited:
How do women support men's sports? If they go to games it is probably because their guys are going. Now that is admirable but not the same thing as being a fan themselves. The bottom line is women generally are not into sports as much as men.
There are more men who enjoy sports than women. That's probably true, but I'd say within the last 20 years that gap has shrunk tremendously. You might even say the difference more and more might be just in the casual fan aspect.

Example, going out and watching IU or PU mens basketball games, I see close to an equal number of women watching. How many of either are there just for the social scene is hard to tell. The bottom line though is it doesn't matter. The more girls who grow up interested in sports, the more women down the road will support it.

Reactions: Baller23Boogie
And to extend those comments a bit back to Clark...her two best basketball skills are her stepback deep 3s and her passing skills. Yes she has some ill-advised passes here and there but the wow factor on those two skills are off the charts. Those two skills are what brought the masses to watch her play. Breaking records, playing for the home state team and getting to the finals 2 years in a row were the icing on top. Fun to watch, and I'll tune in as much as I can to see how it translates to the wnba.
Yes it wasn’t until late this year I really started appreciating her passing. Man, she consistently hit floor length fast break passes to her teammates in stride.

It wasn't that he made the heart symbol. It was that he implied to a young woman that his acceptance was conditional on her compliance. There is some overreaction to it, but it was at the very least unprofessional in that setting.

He was trying to be funny, but in a professional setting compliance beyond the actual task of your job has kind of a slippery slope to it.
Yeah it was the follow up that was the killer. And he should have gauged by her reaction from the start that he was treading on thin ice. I don’t know him at all but others that do say he is awkward at social exchanges. Wonder if he is possibly even on the spectrum?

Yeah it was the follow up that was the killer. And he should have gauged by her reaction from the start that he was treading on thin ice. I don’t know him at all but others that do say he is awkward at social exchanges. Wonder if he is possibly even on the spectrum?
I don't see the issue in his question to the coach. If it was Victor Wembanyama sitting there, "You've been blessed with that..."

The objectification of it doesn't change, but I doubt we care. Not everything is about sex or gender, and it shouldn't change just because she's a woman. If a woman asked Gregg Popovich a question that started with, "You've been blessed with that..."

No, but the ability to hit them consistently creates more space defenders have to guard.
True but if it were a good shot guys like Curry would take them all the time. Its the type of shot that looks good when it goes and if you miss it leaves most thinking why. It is also a shot you can get at anytime during a possession.

True but if it were a good shot guys like Curry would take them all the time. Its the type of shot that looks good when it goes and if you miss it leaves most thinking why. It is also a shot you can get at anytime during a possession.
He takes them more than most.

Plus as women have gotten stronger, the smaller ball is getting easier and easier to shoot.

He takes them more than most.

Plus as women have gotten stronger, the smaller ball is getting easier and easier to shoot.
It is entertaining and that is what the women's game needs to become more relevant so she should fire away. It still doesn't make it a good shot. The ball being smaller is a decided advantage for the women you don't realize it until you see the difference.

I don't see the issue in his question to the coach. If it was Victor Wembanyama sitting there, "You've been blessed with that..."

The objectification of it doesn't change, but I doubt we care. Not everything is about sex or gender, and it shouldn't change just because she's a woman. If a woman asked Gregg Popovich a question that started with, "You've been blessed with that..."
I hadn’t even seen that it was a problem until today. I don’t see one with that either.

It is entertaining and that is what the women's game needs to become more relevant so she should fire away. It still doesn't make it a good shot. The ball being smaller is a decided advantage for the women you don't realize it until you see the difference.
I agree with that.

There are more men who enjoy sports than women. That's probably true, but I'd say within the last 20 years that gap has shrunk tremendously. You might even say the difference more and more might be just in the casual fan aspect.

Example, going out and watching IU or PU mens basketball games, I see close to an equal number of women watching. How many of either are there just for the social scene is hard to tell. The bottom line though is it doesn't matter. The more girls who grow up interested in sports, the more women down the road will support it.
We need to tell all these women to get out and support the team. I am excited Clark is playing in Indy.

I get some people are concerned about the athleticism. But for me, I like good competition. Be it pro, college, high school, I just like a good game. In the rare years the IU men are good, I don't like the cupcake games. A 35 point IU game that isn't even that close doesn't interest me. Yet when my kids were young and we got there for there 7PM game and the 6PM game was winding down, if it was a good close game it didn't bother me that they were 11, it was fun to watch.

Back before kids, I would like to look at Friday night high school games, find one that looked good, and go. Two teams I've never seen before, but that didn't matter. The energy of the crowd and a good game made it exciting. I couldn't do that once we had kids, and haven't started back. I should.

I like NBA less than college or high school partly because the energy of the crowd isn't the same. At least not until the playoffs. And the NBA's lax rule interpretations. One of the bloopers in that reel was Westbrook literally carrying the ball to halfcourt without trying to dribble. Once he crossed over without dribbling, the ref called travel.

But the NBA picks up once the playoffs start.
My dad doesn't watch much pro anything but he travels all over northern Indiana to see all types of high school games.

My dad doesn't watch much pro anything but he travels all over northern Indiana to see all types of high school games.
Man I used to love high school games, but like everything else, they aren’t the same any more. My high school gym seated over 8,000 and ,y uncle had front row seats, due to a disability. Games were often televised and seats were handed down in wills. The lottery for tourney tickets was unreal. Not like that any more. I miss it.

Man I used to love high school games, but like everything else, they aren’t the same any more. My high school gym seated over 8,000 and ,y uncle had front row seats, due to a disability. Games were often televised and seats were handed down in wills. The lottery for tourney tickets was unreal. Not like that any more. I miss it.
You're talking regular season games? What happened to the fan enthusiasm?

When I was a pup, Columbus High School had a season ticket lottery. You would by your tickets and a stub would go in the hopper. For two hours they would call numbers to let people go choose their seats. Most of that gym was sold out with season tickets.

Although Columbus had the opposite problem, I think consolidation hurt high school basketball. All those small schools went away and many families had no connection to the school that replaced them. Columbus had the same issue in a different way, a lot had no connection to North or East.

Oh, I agree completely. I was merely explaining to someone what he did with his hands, as the audio of him made only alluded to it. It was creepy as f.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT