ADVERTISEMENT

Indiana Elite AAU Schedule?

Like I stated earlier, some games Moreno will give you 5 pts and another he'll give you 20. This morning he gave them 20. He may have the highest ceiling because of his height but right now, he's not the best player on that team. I've coached with and against them all since their middle school days. And he's also leaning towards UK.

I don't see why not, if you recruit the right type of kids who want to develop and stay its easily sustainable, there not losing 3 or 4 kids to the portal every year.
I agree with Jim, and think for top programs you're mostly going to see them take 2-3 highly ranked kids (top 50/100; higher the better program you are) and then address needs with proven players in the portal. Some lower rated kids will certainly pan out, but if they do it at a mid major school, they'll be looking to transfer. Look at all the kids we've had wash out that were 3 stars or even 4. Why risk that when you can take kids with a high confidence of succeeding and then fill needs with proven college players. There might be an outlier and PU may well be it, but I don't think you'll see those teams in NC/F4s and probably mostly outside the top 25 going forward. The portal and now NIL have changed things so greatly, and I agree with Jim, it will make classes with many guys outside the top 100 too risky and unbalanced.

Like I stated earlier, some games Moreno will give you 5 pts and another he'll give you 20. This morning he gave them 20. He may have the highest ceiling because of his height but right now, he's not the best player on that team. I've coached with and against them all since their middle school days. And he's also leaning towards UK.
probably been 80 years since UK lost an in-state kid they wanted

I agree with Jim, and think for top programs you're mostly going to see them take 2-3 highly ranked kids (top 50/100; higher the better program you are) and then address needs with proven players in the portal. Some lower rated kids will certainly pan out, but if they do it at a mid major school, they'll be looking to transfer. Look at all the kids we've had wash out that were 3 stars or even 4. Why risk that when you can take kids with a high confidence of succeeding and then fill needs with proven college players. There might be an outlier and PU may well be it, but I don't think you'll see those teams in NC/F4s and probably mostly outside the top 25 going forward. The portal and now NIL have changed things so greatly, and I agree with Jim, it will make classes with many guys outside the top 100 too risky and unbalanced.
time will tell, been hearing Purdue will fall off the last 10 years, yet them seem to always be at the top of the Big 10 year in and year out. personally, don't give a damn about them. but would be foolish to think they are going away. same with Wisconsin they took a big hit this year, but some big white slug we have never heard of will probably eat our ass again in Madison.

I don't see why not, if you recruit the right type of kids who want to develop and stay its easily sustainable, there not losing 3 or 4 kids to the portal every year.
It's sustainable if a national title is not your goal. That's irrefutable. The last 6 NCAA champions have had no less than 4 players on their roster that were either drafted or signed work an NBA team.

Good team effort win in Semis over Compton Magic. Compton looked like the better team much of the game, but IE made the plays in OT. Zachary and Ertel came up big late. And Morenos presence inside probably the difference in OT. Mullins and Sisley pretty quiet. Mullins did hit some big FT late.

Reactions: kkott
Indiana Elite has Utah Prospects tomorrow for the title. They knocked off top seed Team Loaded (VA.). Looking good for IE to bring it on home.

Good team effort win in Semis over Compton Magic. Compton looked like the better team much of the game, but IE made the plays in OT. Zachary and Ertel came up big late. And Morenos presence inside probably the difference in OT. Mullins and Sisley pretty quiet. Mullins did hit some big FT late.
Sign of a resilient bunch. Go IE!!!

time will tell, been hearing Purdue will fall off the last 10 years, yet them seem to always be at the top of the Big 10 year in and year out. personally, don't give a damn about them. but would be foolish to think they are going away. same with Wisconsin they took a big hit this year, but some big white slug we have never heard of will probably eat our ass again in Madison.
True on Purdue, but the last 10 years don't matter a lot at this point, imo. The change with NIL and the portal are monumental. I think you can make yourself competitive developing a culture and finding "your type of players" but I think the top of every conference and in the tourney are going to be teams who also tap players from the portal. The funny thing is that PU did that with Lance Jones and I thought he made a difference for them last year. But, then they got to UConn and the difference was startling. Their best chance at a NC and they really got toyed with in the final game.

Last edited:
Indiana Elite has Utah Prospects tomorrow for the title. They knocked off top seed Team Loaded (VA.). Looking good for IE to bring it on home.
Its just one week, but I have to admit I came away from watching 4-5 of their games this week pretty underwhelmed with all 3 of the IU targets on IE.

I'd be excited if any of them ended up choosing IU, obviously all 3 are highly coveted, so my evaluations from 1 weeks worth of play don't mean anything... But here are a couple concerns with each of them...

Mullins...streaky shooter, and in these games where the athleticism was higher and the physicality was higher, he essentially became relegated to just being an outside shooter. He rarely even attempted to make attacking plays going to the basket. And when he did, while showing really good bounce and athleticism, he wasn't often able to finish the plays. Defensively I'd say he didn't stand out as "bad", but he certainly wasn't impactful.

Moreno...supsect hands, not an overly strong finisher through contact, poor free throw shooting. His size and athleticism overwhelmed some of his opponents. But really any bigs that had adequate size, that were strong physically, really gave Moreno problems. He also left multiple games, at key times, with little injuries. NOT saying he should be dumb and play through everything...but he's a guy that looks to show all his bumps and bruises to everyone. Again, just one week, but I would think that's an environment he'd want to show all his best attributes to everyone. There weren't just college scouts at these games. There was an NBA presence as well.

Sisley...each time I see him play I'm reminded that he's quite a lot more athletic than he appears in most game film. But sitting watching him this week, it hit me why that is...he doesn't use it as much as he should in the games. For his size and length, I'd go as far as saying he's elite athletically. But he struggles using that consistently. He also struggles a little bit with physicality and contact. He settles for 12 foot fadeaway turn around jumpers on mismatched/smaller defenders, often, as an example. Sisley is an intriguing prospect, to me. If Monteverde helps him utilize his size and athleticism more than he currently does, he could end up being a really high level player in a couple years. Like Moreno, he needs to get a little stronger and tougher to realize that...I could see either of them being very frustrating players for our fan base to follow...or I could see either of them being great.

There were probably 20 players from the 25 and 26 classes I saw this week, that I'd rather have over these 3 guys though. Probably more of a testament to how stacked the talent was at this event. Crazy to think its just one of the big 3 national shoe circuit events.

Reactions: bkiefer7 and kkott
Its just one week, but I have to admit I came away from watching 4-5 of their games this week pretty underwhelmed with all 3 of the IU targets on IE.

I'd be excited if any of them ended up choosing IU, obviously all 3 are highly coveted, so my evaluations from 1 weeks worth of play don't mean anything... But here are a couple concerns with each of them...

Mullins...streaky shooter, and in these games where the athleticism was higher and the physicality was higher, he essentially became relegated to just being an outside shooter. He rarely even attempted to make attacking plays going to the basket. And when he did, while showing really good bounce and athleticism, he wasn't often able to finish the plays. Defensively I'd say he didn't stand out as "bad", but he certainly wasn't impactful.

Moreno...supsect hands, not an overly strong finisher through contact, poor free throw shooting. His size and athleticism overwhelmed some of his opponents. But really any bigs that had adequate size, that were strong physically, really gave Moreno problems. He also left multiple games, at key times, with little injuries. NOT saying he should be dumb and play through everything...but he's a guy that looks to show all his bumps and bruises to everyone. Again, just one week, but I would think that's an environment he'd want to show all his best attributes to everyone. There weren't just college scouts at these games. There was an NBA presence as well.

Sisley...each time I see him play I'm reminded that he's quite a lot more athletic than he appears in most game film. But sitting watching him this week, it hit me why that is...he doesn't use it as much as he should in the games. For his size and length, I'd go as far as saying he's elite athletically. But he struggles using that consistently. He also struggles a little bit with physicality and contact. He settles for 12 foot fadeaway turn around jumpers on mismatched/smaller defenders, often, as an example. Sisley is an intriguing prospect, to me. If Monteverde helps him utilize his size and athleticism more than he currently does, he could end up being a really high level player in a couple years. Like Moreno, he needs to get a little stronger and tougher to realize that...I could see either of them being very frustrating players for our fan base to follow...or I could see either of them being great.

There were probably 20 players from the 25 and 26 classes I saw this week, that I'd rather have over these 3 guys though. Probably more of a testament to how stacked the talent was at this event. Crazy to think its just one of the big 3 national shoe circuit events.
Sleepers just did a review of Mullin's recruitment and said Duke just offered too, as did Calipari and KU. Something about the kids game everyone seems to like. Think his "visit" schools are like: IU, PU, TN, UConn, UNC, UM, KU, UK with AR and Duke offered. Doesn't feel like a kid we'll get with that list, but you assume all those blue bloods will be offering higher rated guards also. But, damn, Duke and UConn?

True on Purdue, but the last 10 years don't matter a lot at this point, imo. The change with NIL and the portal are monumental. I think you can make yourself competitive developing a culture and finding "your type of players" but I think the top of every conference and in the tourney are going to be teams who also tap players from the portal. The funny thing is that PU did that with Lance Jones and I thought he made a difference for them last year. But, then they got to UConn and the difference was startling. Their best chance at a NC and they really got toyed with in the final game.
So, I guess the 375 other teams in Division 1 other than UConn will need to change their model if they want to win a championship, Purdue has been knocking at the door that's all anyone could ask for. in a 1 and done tournament shit happens, great teams get knocked out every year. at the end of the day there are only so many quality players to go around, and the highly sought after ones will have a ton of suitors. I hate Purdue but think you all are crazy if you don't think they can be successful without a major overhaul in philosophy and/or how they manage their program.

So, I guess the 375 other teams in Division 1 other than UConn will need to change their model if they want to win a championship, Purdue has been knocking at the door that's all anyone could ask for. in a 1 and done tournament shit happens, great teams get knocked out every year. at the end of the day there are only so many quality players to go around, and the highly sought after ones will have a ton of suitors. I hate Purdue but think you all are crazy if you don't think they can be successful without a major overhaul in philosophy and/or how they manage their program.
No, absolutely not. If they can sign the 300+ something guy who can turn into NPOY, they'll probably still be good. It's not just UConn, look at the rosters at Duke, UNC, Bama, UK, AR, and even teams like UM, IU and UK who have retooled into what looks to be much more competitive rosters in the space of 1 year with transfers. Can you catch lightning in a bottle with a player or group of players? Sure. Can you do it repetitively? I don't think so. It will be interesting to see, but personally I think IU will jump PU this year and I think they're going to struggle vs early projections, but we'll see. I agree that Painter is a great coach and is doing better than anyone with the "old way" but check the top 20 and see how many are doing it that way. Check again at the end of the year and I think it will be even fewer.

Sleepers just did a review of Mullin's recruitment and said Duke just offered too, as did Calipari and KU. Something about the kids game everyone seems to like. Think his "visit" schools are like: IU, PU, TN, UConn, UNC, UM, KU, UK with AR and Duke offered. Doesn't feel like a kid we'll get with that list, but you assume all those blue bloods will be offering higher rated guards also. But, damn, Duke and UConn?
Ye of little faith.

Ye of little faith.
I was talking it over with a friend, but I think we have 3 advantages: 1) we need him and the other 2 IE kids more and they are probably more valuable to us than the likes of the blue bloods who are all going to be recruiting higher rated kids most likely (or have them on their roster now). 2) the "package deal" with Moreno and Sisley. Those never seem to work out, but these kids do seem to really like playing together and we have space and PT for them; especially if Mbako is gone, and possibly Carlyle. 3) NIL... because they are worth more and we'll probably be losing Ballo, Mbako and Galloway with the possibility of Reanu and Carlyle, we should have NIL, even if donors don't come forward.

Obviously all those coaches/schools know a hell of a lot more than I do.

I listed the concerns I had, here are the positives, probably driving the interest...Deep range on jumper, A LOT more athletic than he appears, very confident overall player, elevates well on jumpers when defended. I think he's going to be prone to streaky shooting, he was streaky this week, but there's no question there's a premium being put on outside shooting nowadays. And he probably is one of the better shooters in the class, that also has a little size and athleticism. I'd love for IU to get him, but this was the first time I had seen him play multiple games in a row, up close and personal...maybe I just had an inflated expectation coming in, but he didn't seem like a guy that should be coveted by the teams he is.

But he is. Value is what someone is willing to pay or offer...and he's getting the highest offers anyone could possibly get. So that means his value is incredibly high, evidently.

No, absolutely not. If they can sign the 300+ something guy who can turn into NPOY, they'll probably still be good. It's not just UConn, look at the rosters at Duke, UNC, Bama, UK, AR, and even teams like UM, IU and UK who have retooled into what looks to be much more competitive rosters in the space of 1 year with transfers. Can you catch lightning in a bottle with a player or group of players? Sure. Can you do it repetitively? I don't think so. It will be interesting to see, but personally I think IU will jump PU this year and I think they're going to struggle vs early projections, but we'll see. I agree that Painter is a great coach and is doing better than anyone with the "old way" but check the top 20 and see how many are doing it that way. Check again at the end of the year and I think it will be even fewer.
The year Virgina won the tournament, Purdue absolutely gave the game to them it was either a sweet 16 or elite 8 game. the way it unfolded Purdue probably had a 1 percent chance to lose the game but did. Edey wasn't on that team, they easily could have won a title that year. last year they went to the final game. Talent and coaching are what it takes to win, Painter has proven he can coach and get talent, there are different ways to do the latter.

Obviously all those coaches/schools know a hell of a lot more than I do.

I listed the concerns I had, here are the positives, probably driving the interest...Deep range on jumper, A LOT more athletic than he appears, very confident overall player, elevates well on jumpers when defended. I think he's going to be prone to streaky shooting, he was streaky this week, but there's no question there's a premium being put on outside shooting nowadays. And he probably is one of the better shooters in the class, that also has a little size and athleticism. I'd love for IU to get him, but this was the first time I had seen him play multiple games in a row, up close and personal...maybe I just had an inflated expectation coming in, but he didn't seem like a guy that should be coveted by the teams he is.

But he is. Value is what someone is willing to pay or offer...and he's getting the highest offers anyone could possibly get. So that means his value is incredibly high, evidently.
I wonder how old he was. Of the 3, I thought he looked the youngest in terms of body development and he's still athletic and bouncy. Wondering if that's part of the appeal, and that shooting stroke. As you said, it's highly valued and it looked better than it worked this past week, but it's obviously been working pretty well this summer and I think they see a player than can mold.

The year Virgina won the tournament, Purdue absolutely gave the game to them it was either a sweet 16 or elite 8 game. the way it unfolded Purdue probably had a 1 percent chance to lose the game but did. Edey wasn't on that team, they easily could have won a title that year. last year they went to the final game. Talent and coaching are what it takes to win, Painter has proven he can coach and get talent, there are different ways to do the latter.
Again, what happened 7-8 years ago, is irrelevant. NIL and the portal have changed the landscape of college bball more in 3 years than it had in the previous 40. I agree on coaching and talent, but how those coaches are acquiring that talent is wholly different now than it was 3+ years ago.

Again, what happened 7-8 years ago, is irrelevant. NIL and the portal have changed the landscape of college bball more in 3 years than it had in the previous 40. I agree on coaching and talent, but how those coaches are acquiring that talent is wholly different now than it was 3+ years ago.
no, it's not, Purdue has built a very solid program without landing the McDonalds all American types, there's no reason they can't continue to do so. you are assuming they won't be able to retain the talent they bring in, will they have to pay the smiths Kaufmanns to keep them going forward, they certainly will. we are in the NIL era now, they retained everyone they wanted to keep this year, and have a solid class coming in. they will have a lot more continuity starting next season than most teams.

PU didn’t retain their top recruit. Just sayin’. Their class is pretty mediocre.
I bet you would say their classes have looked mediocre on paper the last 10 years. Catchings deal seemed odd from the beginning with the rumors of a decommitment going back a year. I don't think money was an issue. might be wrong though

I bet you would say their classes have looked mediocre on paper the last 10 years. Catchings deal seemed odd from the beginning with the rumors of a decommitment going back a year. I don't think money was an issue. might be wrong though
When their undervalued recruits show their value…will Purdue be able to/be willing to pay them their market value?

Thats the crux of their potential problem.

No more discounted studs because no one knows how good they actually are due to Edeys presence.

If Smith has a similar or better year this year to what he had last year…his value will skyrocket. Purdue gonna pay that? Smith gonna “pass up” his best opportunity to make 7 figures to take less at Purdue?

Same question for when any other of their “program” guys develop and become impactful.

And then on the flip side, if they don’t have many guys increase their NIL value…that most likely means they aren’t all that good.

It’s not good to have one of the best years in program history and then lose your top recruit.

I think PU will be a top-20 team going forward, but not quite winning B1G titles and threatening F4’s. Painter is very good, but it’s a harder job without top talent. We’ll see.

When their undervalued recruits show their value…will Purdue be able to/be willing to pay them their market value?

Thats the crux of their potential problem.

No more discounted studs because no one knows how good they actually are due to Edeys presence.

If Smith has a similar or better year this year to what he had last year…his value will skyrocket. Purdue gonna pay that? Smith gonna “pass up” his best opportunity to make 7 figures to take less at Purdue?

Same question for when any other of their “program” guys develop and become impactful.

And then on the flip side, if they don’t have many guys increase their NIL value…that most likely means they aren’t all that good.
they paid Edey 2 million last year per reports. I have no idea what their NIL situation is now and will be going forward. will IUs big donors keep throwing money at players, who knows.

they paid Edey 2 million last year per reports. I have no idea what their NIL situation is now and will be going forward. will IUs big donors keep throwing money at players, who knows.
I saw $1M, which is a steal, but there could be reports I missed.

Jasper Johnson will NOT go to UK. In fact his "dream school" is UNC. But it will come down to them and Bama. That report is correct. Moreno is likely to UK but IU is definitely in the mix. Staying close to home is a high priority for him.

no, it's not, Purdue has built a very solid program without landing the McDonalds all American types, there's no reason they can't continue to do so. you are assuming they won't be able to retain the talent they bring in, will they have to pay the smiths Kaufmanns to keep them going forward, they certainly will. we are in the NIL era now, they retained everyone they wanted to keep this year, and have a solid class coming in. they will have a lot more continuity starting next season than most teams.
We'll see and agree to disagree. Teams are now purging their rosters of the lower rated kids and ones that don't pan out for proven players. UT didn't develop Dalton Knecht, but he was undoudtedly better than anyone on their roster. If you can sign an Edey and have him develop into the best player in college bball or a lottery pick, you can compete at the top level. If you can't and you aren't filling needs with proven players, you're going to fall back a few tiers.

Basically zero chance of Purdue having the same levels of money as the IUs, UKs, UNCs of the world.

But you're right, no one knows how much they'll have, AND be willing to facilitate paying. Purdue, and their fans, have earned the right to be smug about all this with how they played this past year...it'll be interesting to see how they react now that the anomaly has moved on, and they actually have to compete and function in this new NIL/Portal world.

Jasper Johnson will NOT go to UK. In fact his "dream school" is UNC. But it will come down to them and Bama. That report is correct. Moreno is likely to UK but IU is definitely in the mix. Staying close to home is a high priority for him.
UK isn’t Moreno dream school either. UK insiders are saying adidas is steering him to an adidas school but you know how insiders can be.

Last edited:
Never said it was Moreno's "dream school" Just that they have the inside track. IU certainly in the mix. Only 15-20 minutes from Lexington deff. helps their chances.

It would take BIG money to land Haralson, Mullins, Sisley, and Moreno. IU have that and would they spend it on 4 true freshmen?

Never said it was Moreno's "dream school" Just that they have the inside track. IU certainly in the mix. Only 15-20 minutes from Lexington deff. helps their chances.

It would take BIG money to land Haralson, Mullins, Sisley, and Moreno. IU have that and would they spend it on 4 true freshmen?
very doubtful we're going to go 4-0 there. Maybe we're in that good a shape with Haralson but I don't feel like we're good there and he wants to go to an elite and get out of state. I'm hinging my hope with the other 3 on the group thing, and that rarely works out, but I think it's our best chance. But, on the positive, I don't think anyone needs or values those 3 more than IU does so I think there's a good chance we'll be at the top of programs willing to pay them as freshman. We have an open starting spot for Moreno immediately, and now I'm thinking maybe the way things work out is that Mbako takes off this year and makes a big jump and is gone and CMW convinces Reanu to come back for one last season and be the absolute lead dog next year.

Edey was 400+, where was Carson Edwards rated, or Jaden Ivey? Duke and UK has had twice the talent of the current dream team of IU, and has done what? And oh boy you know those players cost a mint! UM, IU and UK may have retooled, but of those three teams, UM is the only one with a coach! UCONN is great because they have a COACH! UM will surprise, because they have built the best roster, and unlike IU they can shoot! And I will be the first to tell you that the freshman guards at Purdue (Cox and Harris) will have better careers than IU's guards. Painter said it best, if the guys who went around ranking high school players where good at what they do, they would be coaching somewhere! Maybe you should COOL your jets and maybe see what the product looks like before jumping into the empty pool of expectations!

very doubtful we're going to go 4-0 there. Maybe we're in that good a shape with Haralson but I don't feel like we're good there and he wants to go to an elite and get out of state. I'm hinging my hope with the other 3 on the group thing, and that rarely works out, but I think it's our best chance. But, on the positive, I don't think anyone needs or values those 3 more than IU does so I think there's a good chance we'll be at the top of programs willing to pay them as freshman. We have an open starting spot for Moreno immediately, and now I'm thinking maybe the way things work out is that Mbako takes off this year and makes a big jump and is gone and CMW convinces Reanu to come back for one last season and be the absolute lead dog next year.
Has Haralson talked about going out of state? He's already had that decision once, and he chose to stay in state, with La Lu. He could have gone to any prep school in the country, I'd contend he chose a "lesser" one vs some of the other notable factories out there...possibly to stay closer to home?

I would think Woody's success with TJD and Ware, would help with Moreno. I would think with the other two IE kids, the combination of need, playing time opportunities, and then our NIL capacities, should all help our chances.

I'll agree that getting all 4 of these guys is incredibly unlikely, getting 3 of them probably isn't likely either. But for any of them singularly, I think we've got a great chance.

Basically zero chance of Purdue having the same levels of money as the IUs, UKs, UNCs of the world.

But you're right, no one knows how much they'll have, AND be willing to facilitate paying. Purdue, and their fans, have earned the right to be smug about all this with how they played this past year...it'll be interesting to see how they react now that the anomaly has moved on, and they actually have to compete and function in this new NIL/Portal world.
I'd guess PU's NIL took a pretty big hit this year. I'd guess they rallied some boosters who made a one time type commitment to keep Edey for another year. That sounds like a more plausible explanation than PT to me. Don't think good players are flocking to BYU because they have more PT than other programs.

I'd guess PU's NIL took a pretty big hit this year. I'd guess they rallied some boosters who made a one time type commitment to keep Edey for another year. That sounds like a more plausible explanation than PT to me. Don't think good players are flocking to BYU because they have more PT than other programs.
Tough one to gauge. I would think they're collective NIL capacity is probably "bigger" now than it was this time last year, because of the natty run. One thing they're going to have to face though...ALL their players were very likely "underpaid"...because of Edey, his dominance, and his willingness to take less from Purdue than probably dozens of other schools would have paid him. I'm not sure Purdue fans are giving the new, truly open market conditions, as much credit as they should. They've been largely insulated from the new dynamics, which have fully emerged in the last couple years, because they've been led by Edey, and a few unheralded "Indiana kids". Those days are effectively over now. I'm sure there is a lot of loyalty to Painter, and Purdue, for all their players. But the full benefits of the open market is available to all these kids now. No more Edey umbrella.

Braden Smith's value if he has any similar type of year this year...Easily 7 figures, potentially a couple million.
Any of the more talented and athletic wings if they breakthrough and have impactful years (Heide, Colvin, etc...)...potentially 7 figures.
Their new big...if he's good, he'll either leave for the NBA, or his value will be 7 figures plus.

Thats just a few players, the other players "cost money" too. If they're good and worth anything they do anyways.

Maybe Purdue has that capacity, AND the willingness to pay it...but I doubt it.

The past year??? Been a pretty amazing decade run with amount of wins. Yeah the disappointment of tourney can't forget but everyone here focuses on that. Big 10 titles, great wins whether in November or March are amazing memories. Oh yeah recent as well. This year was pinnacle but past years were super strong also. Purdue will be fine and strong that's a given. IU obviously will be stronger so all good. A lot of fans here sound like New York baseball fans lol. Money is great but doesn't guarantee results. Going to be fun see how it plays out.

• Haha
Reactions: LifelongIU77
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT