ADVERTISEMENT

Inconsistent punting

kpbucks4454

Junior
Sep 8, 2004
Lots of reasons we have struggle this year year, and another is inconsistent punting. If you have an offense that is struggling and has trouble
Moving the ball, you at least need a punter who can “flip” the field. When we start a game on offense, like Maryland, three and out is a killer.
Sometimes, like Maryland, it’s not just three and out. It’s minus yardage and out. When you are punting from deep in your own territory you gotta have a punter who can “boom” a punt .. When you give the ball to your opponent where one first down and they are in four down territory, you are giving away points. That’s tough on a defense. Yes, we have a young punter, but a scholarship player, like any player, has to perform. I hope we see improvement in that area of special teams in the future.

Hard to believe he was the best available at the “Down Under Kicking School.” Invite some walk-ons in to challenge him in Spring. They couldn’t do much worse.

I think 2020 made IU over confident across the board. Expecting a QB to come back in 9 months and play well, expecting a new punter to come in and play well, expecting a bunch of transfers to come in and play well, expecting everyone to stay healthy, expecting 2020 momentum to continue, expecting the defense to continue to force a high number of turnovers. I think Tom Allen was drinking his own Koolaid. The year was only going to go well if all those variables turned out the right way. They didn’t and the year didn’t.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I think 2020 made IU over confident across the board. Expecting a QB to come back in 9 months and play well, expecting a new punter to come in and play well, expecting a bunch of transfers to come in and play well, expecting everyone to stay healthy, expecting 2020 momentum to continue, expecting the defense to continue to force a high number of turnovers. I think Tom Allen was drinking his own Koolaid. The year was only going to go well if all those variables turned out the right way. They didn’t and the year didn’t.
And we’re back to a normal schedule again. We’ll likely never play a schedule again as easy as 2019 and 2020. That led to a false sense of improvement. We’ve been at the same level for 5-8 years, our record has just fluctuated based on strength of schedule.

Yes, everything that needed to go well for IU this year hasn't and the result is a disappointing year. This year has also pointed out some of the shortcomings on the staff and Hopefully coach Allen will upgrade those positions this off-season. Add in that it looks like a few players on defense have been put in the wrong positions IE Bonhomme and Zeimba, and it just creates issues not seen last season.

Reactions: mk23
Hard to believe he was the best available at the “Down Under Kicking School.” Invite some walk-ons in to challenge him in Spring. They couldn’t do much worse.
I looked at the roster a few weeks back and I think there are a couple walk-on punters currently. I imagine they had to be at least decent in HS that could give some consistency, but maybe not.

I'm 100% on board with inviting some walk-ons to give competition this offseason, because he needs to really up his game. We were spoiled with Whitehead for a long time.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and mk23
And we’re back to a normal schedule again. We’ll likely never play a schedule again as easy as 2019 and 2020. That led to a false sense of improvement. We’ve been at the same level for 5-8 years, our record has just fluctuated based on strength of schedule.
Six teams in the top 9 is not "normal" and never has been.

This year is as much of an anomaly as last year, actually moreso with the injuries piled on top.

Reactions: ESalum86
Yah, i don't get it.

Field position game is and always has been essential, particularly when we are playing teams that are deeper with more stud players.

Reactions: mk23
When I first heard the guy had NEVER played in a game, I thought it was a joke. Turns out it really was. And it's on all of us. And Tom Allen. And whoever thought it was a great idea to recruit and offer a scholarship to him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT