ADVERTISEMENT

I'm dejected

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
There was that two-year stretch where Indiana was 14-7. The Hoosiers won at least 5 games 6 years in a row. A Bowl Game 4 out of 6 seasons. Recruiting classes were better. It seemed like Indiana had turned the corner. No more being a laughing stock at the bottom of the standings every single year. No longer the worst Power 5 football program. No longer being a punch line.

I knew there was still work to do but I never dreamed that in just two-and-a-half seasons the bottom would drop out.

We can't even be competitive against Rutgers? rutger? I am totally dejected. I stopped watching during the DiNardo era and I'm about that point again. Call me fairweather if you want but there comes a point where I can no longer abide. I do not like losing and if the product is not even romotely competitive I feel no obligation to feign interest. If you can abide losing 10 games year in and year out congratulations to you I guess. 🏅

I like Tom Allen personally and have been a pretty outspoken supporter. That said I'm not going to pretend he is not flawed. I definitely have things I wonder about. The evidence shows that 2020 was a flash in the pan. DeBoer, Womack, Penix, Covid Year. A sustainable long-term trend it was not. But the 30 wins in the five seasons before that...that was real. What I can't answer is how we don't at least fall back to that baseline? No, instead we plumet like a tungsten rod fired from space back to the whale excrement.

I do think there is truth to the idea that at a university level Indiana is not committed to a winning football program. We can debate who the next head coach will be or should be but really if the apathetic approach by IU continues then does it really matter much? I mean with the right coach we might get 2 Bowls in 12 years instead of one. Oh joy.

But but but Crimson Cast says IU has shown good commitment...

Go ahead and light me up...free red meat. 🍖

Last edited:
I recall seeing threads from people questioning why Rutgers was allowed in the conference in 2014.

Here’s a sobering fact:

IU and RU are 5-5 in football head to head. We’ve played every year since they joined. They went through their Chris Ash period. We are going through our Tom Allen period.

In basketball, we’ve played 15 games against each other. The result?
Rutgers 8. IU 7

Not a good look.

Reactions: Stlgator2223
We can't even be competitive against Rutgers? rutger? I am totally dejected. I stopped watching during the DiNardo era and I'm about that point again. Call me fairweather if you want but there comes a point where I can no longer abide. I do not like losing and if the product is not even romotely competitive I feel no obligation to feign interest. If you can abide losing 10 games year in and year out congratulations to you I guess. 🏅
Fairweather fan?
Anyone who has watched this shit on a weekly basis for more than three years isn't a fairweather fan, he/she is a masochist.

This might seem harsh, but I get the impression Tom Allen doesn’t think much beyond the surface level. It takes second and third order thinking & strategizing to be competitive. He is simple minded and that’s great for LEO and building relationships with kids & parents…not so great for winning football games against good teams.

Not sure what the answer is but IU def needs a change of the goal is to win games.

Reactions: Crusty The Baker
There was that two-year stretch where Indiana was 14-7. The Hoosiers won at least 5 games 6 years in a row. A Bowl Game 4 out of 6 seasons. Recruiting classes were better. It seemed like Indiana had turned the corner. No more being a laughing stock at the bottom of the standings every single year. No longer the worst Power 5 football program. No longer being a punch line.

I knew there was still work to do but I never dreamed that in just two-and-a-half seasons the bottom would drop out.

I like Tom Allen personally and have been a pretty outspoken supporter. That said I'm not going to pretend he is not flawed. I definitely have things I wonder about. The evidence shows that 2020 was a flash in the pan. DeBoer, Womack, Penix, Covid Year. A sustainable long-term trend it was not. But the 30 wins in the five seasons before that...that was real. What I can't answer is how we don't at least fall back to that baseline? No, instead we plumet like a tungsten rod fired from space back to the whale excrement.

I do think there is truth to the idea that at a university level Indiana is not committed to a winning football program. We can debate who the next head coach will be or should be but really if the apathetic approach by IU continues then does it really matter much? I mean with the right coach we might get 2 Bowls in 12 years instead of one. Oh joy.

Damn dude. Those kinds of stats are enough to make anyone depressed. Hell, I'd bet Tom Allen would cry if he actually knew those numbers.

CrimsonCast has constantly felt the need to make excuses for the administration when it comes to its treatment of the football program. I don't get it. I think it is because Clavio works for the university and is afraid or unwilling to say things that need to be said, even when they're true.

Reactions: daddyhoosier
Imo that two yr stretch was fools gold....
I still didn't look at Indiana as some decent progam..
Covid yr..Total fluke..
It'll take ten yrs of around 6 -7 wins ..
And then win 3 out of 7 bowl games for me to think..Ok Indiana football is coming..
With six decades behind me..
The administration better hit a home run in the next couple yrs..Or us older fans well never see something like that..

CrimsonCast has constantly felt the need to make excuses for the administration when it comes to its treatment of the football program. I don't get it. I think it is because Clavio works for the university and is afraid or unwilling to say things that need to be said, even when they're true.
From what I've heard from Crimson Cast, they are not shy about criticizing IU football or the admin.

I recall seeing threads from people questioning why Rutgers was allowed in the conference in 2014.

Here’s a sobering fact:

IU and RU are 5-5 in football head to head. We’ve played every year since they joined. They went through their Chris Ash period. We are going through our Tom Allen period.

In basketball, we’ve played 15 games against each other. The result?
Rutgers 8. IU 7

Not a good look.
The concerns with Rutger’s fit was not really about FB

Covid yr..Total fluke..
And then win 3 out of 7 bowl games for me to think..Ok Indiana football is coming..
The administration better hit a home run in the next couple yrs..Or us older fans well never see something like that..
We wisely exploited our advantages, especially defensively, during the Covid season, which is precisely why we haven’t been able to duplicate those results since.

Covid yr..Total fluke..
So the 2019 gator bowl, the best bowl we’ve been to since the peach bowl, was a fluke? And then you put two years back to back and they were both a fluke?

Reactions: ESalum86
So the 2019 gator bowl, the best bowl we’ve been to since the peach bowl, was a fluke? And then you put two years back to back and they were both a fluke?
I don't see the point to disparage those 2 good years. The teams we beat the covid year would have had winning records had they played a full season. And we had a good run for us of winning 5 or 6 games a year consistently for several years leading up to that. One can knock being happy with 5 or 6 wins but it beats the past few years, watching a discipline free team that is rarely competitive.

The wheels have completely fallen off since then. Allen did a decent job early on of starting with the team left to him by Wilson, then getting some very coordinators and having some success, but absolutely nothing has gone well since then. There's zero excitement in the program. No stars. Fans that make it to their seats don't stick around past halftime. No one seems happy with the in-game experience outside the game, and the game is bad enough on its own. IU has a great campus, a decent enough stadium to enjoy watching a team if they were even mediocre, and boat loads of big ten money.

I don't know if IU has it in them to make the commitment to be competitive.

The “demeanor” of our defense since 2019 has gone from a group that had swagger and was aggressive, made plays and disrupted things to a group that looks uncertain, tentative and zero confidence in making stops.
This is entirely on Allen. That is what he hangs his hat on and it is at the bottom of almost every category.

This might seem harsh, but I get the impression Tom Allen doesn’t think much beyond the surface level. It takes second and third order thinking & strategizing to be competitive. He is simple minded and that’s great for LEO and building relationships with kids & parents…not so great for winning football games against good teams.

Not sure what the answer is but IU def needs a change of the goal is to win games.

He has an odd obsession for talking about big plays. Last week he was talking about how the offense needs big plays so it doesn't have to sustain long drives. And takeaways on D have been something he's talked about for years. I wonder if some of the frequent mistakes they make are because of this - being too aggressive when the play isn't there, instead of focusing on the doing the basics.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and TMFT

That is pretty much how I feel as well, totally dejected. I really thought Allen was going to be good, with his culture and that 2-year stretch where we seemed to turn the corner. Turns out, it was only because of DeBord. 35 years of being a season ticket hold (and going to games 15 years before that with my parents), it has been awhile since I have been this dejected. Despite all of the bad years, I have always had a hope that we could be good, looking at certain players going into a new year. Even going into this year, I had a little hope because of all of the unknown guys we had coming in. (I was excited about Carter, and others on the D.). But I have zero hope right now. I see nobody that can bail us out. And with the how the transfer portal is now, if we do get that good player, he is more than likely gone the following year. Allen has lost all momentum from those 2 years, and looking at next year's recruiting class of all 3 stars, I see us always being like this. Having a couple of mediocre QB's battling it out to pretty much see who can not suck as bad as the other, below average (or worse) OL, coaching that doesn't utilize the skill we do have in places (i.e. - getting the ball to Lucas behind the line of scrimmage with 3 guys on him)......I could obviously go on and on, but just total dejection. I'm pretty much now just excited to tailgate and see my daughter who is a student currently, not even really wanting to go into the game. But I do, anyway.....

Last edited:
He has an odd obsession for talking about big plays. Last week he was talking about how the offense needs big plays so it doesn't have to sustain long drives. And takeaways on D have been something he's talked about for years. I wonder if some of the frequent mistakes they make are because of this - being too aggressive when the play isn't there, instead of focusing on the doing the basics.
Could be a big part of it. Just watched a video the other day talking about how after Joe Greene had already been to 10 Pro Bowls or something on the first day of practice Chuck Noll would back him get down in his stance and he would make adjustments to his foot placement.

Could be a big part of it. Just watched a video the other day talking about how after Joe Greene had already been to 10 Pro Bowls or something on the first day of practice Chuck Noll would back him get down in his stance and he would make adjustments to his foot placement.
He’s far more emotional than he is analytical, which means he lacks an attention to detail. That’s usually not great when you’re running the show.

I think too much of the transfer portal has hurt us. Allen had good recruiting classes during those good seasons. Recruiting and developing players builds relationships as you build players and continuity. When half of your two deep players were on another team the previous year, you lose a lot. I believe some, a few, transfers can help. But buiding and developing the players recruited brings the most desire, loyalty, and knowledge of the system. Imho

That makes sense. And when you're cycling through coordinators and other coaches as quick as he is, the new coaches are probably trying to find the quick fix rather than build the fundamentals.

Reactions: bang63 and midwolfe
That is pretty much how I feel as well, totally dejected. I really thought Allen was going to be good, with his culture and that 2-year stretch where we seemed to turn the corner. Turns out, it was only because of DeBord. 35 years of being a season ticket hold (and going to games 15 years before that with my parents), it has been awhile since I have been this dejected. Despite all of the bad years, I have always had a hope that we could be good, looking at certain players going into a new year. Even going into this year, I had a little hope because of all of the unknown guys we had coming in. (I was excited about Carter, and others on the D.). But I have zero hope right now. I see nobody that can bail us out. And with the how the transfer portal is now, if we do get that good player, he is more than likely gone the following year. Allen has lost all momentum from those 2 years, and looking at next year's recruiting class of all 3 stars, I see us always being like this. Having a couple of mediocre QB's battling it out to pretty much see who can not suck as bad as the other, below average (or worse) OL, coaching that doesn't utilize the skill we do have in places (i.e. - getting the ball to Lucas behind the line of scrimmage with 3 guys on him)......I could obviously go on and on, but just total dejection. I'm pretty much now just excited to tailgate and see my daughter who is a student currently, not even really wanting to go into the game. But I do, anyway.....
I presume you meant DeBoer and not Debord.

At any rate, I don’t know how many times we have to point out to folks, DeBoer was NOT the OC in 2020.

I can get behind the rest of the post.

Absolutely a fluke, Michigan, Penn St and Mich St all having down seasons the same year was all related to covid.

Reactions: jsenleo
Unfortunately the qb’s are mediocre and the coach is below mediocre. But what would you expect when the AD rewards mediocrity by giving Allen an extension for winning only half of the games and then dumbs down the schedule to try to make it happen.

I too am very dejected. I have drawn much criticsm for my support of Tom Allen on this board. However after the Rutgers game I have come to the realization that Tom Allen needs to be gone. You can not get totally whooped by Rutgers like they were on Saturday. No matter what he has lost the support the support of the fans. Which in itself is a joke. Because it has never really existed. The IU Fan base consists of several thousand that show up and are positive no matter what. You have the group that shows and just sits and waits for something bad to happen. Your next group of fans that show up and criticsizes everything no matter whether IU wins or loses. Then last you have the group that just does not show up but still criticsizes everything about the program. I am both a Florida and Indiana fan. I remember when Florida was bad. But Florida fans still showed up. It was not until Steve Spurrier showed up and changed Florida's fortune in football. I went to the Florida -Tennessee game a few weeks ago and remembere all the Gator fans except for one of my brothers thinking Florida had no shot at winning. However the stadium was packed and the crowd was loud and low and behold the Gators rolled. They then turn around and get hammered by Kentucky, yes I hate them as both a Gator and Hoosier, they also struggled against Vandy. Although again I am not sure Florida has a shot I will be driving 5 hours to Jacksonville to cheer for the Gators against those stinkin Dogs. Sorry for getting off course but my point is the fans need to be part of the solution and not part of the problem. They need to show up and be positive and generate some excitement and not leave at half time of a close game to go tailgate. I hope that IU finds their Steve Spurrier. I am going to now act like one of the delusional fans and I hope they throw a boat load of money at Kalen DeBoer. I believe he would be crazy to leave Washington, but he is a Midwest guy, so who knows.

Who cares at if it's a fluke or the result of good assistants or solid recruiting at the time.... 2-22 or whatever the current trend is now isn't a fluke.

Reactions: midwolfe
Who cares at if it's a fluke or the result of good assistants or solid recruiting at the time.... 2-22 or whatever the current trend is now isn't a fluke.
We’ve already discussed the advantages that we capitalized on to make 2020 a reality, and we've seen the results change drastically when those advantages were removed. I get why people want to ignore those realities, but it’s tougher to ignore 2-20. Leadership and facts matter.

Reactions: midwolfe
Along with 12 or 13 other user names which were not deleted by the mods and are simple to link and have been dozens of times. Facts matter to some of us
Yes, they do matte. I’ve issued the same challenge to you and you’ve failed to provide anything factual whatsoever. Bumpity bump bump. lol.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT