ADVERTISEMENT

illegal screens

Ty Webb iu

All-American
May 16, 2009
College refs should start calling fouls on screeners who have their feet more than shoulder width apart, which is the rule. Allowing players to screen with their feet more than shoulder width apart makes it nearly impossible for the defensive player to get around the screen. Cupps repeatedly got tangled up with Okpara because his feet were way beyond should width apart when setting ball screens. All of those should have been fouls on Okpara.

There is way too much illegal screening going on in games. They need to clean that up.

College refs should start calling fouls on screeners who have their feet more than shoulder width apart, which is the rule. Allowing players to screen with their feet more than shoulder width apart makes it nearly impossible for the defensive player to get around the screen. Cupps repeatedly got tangled up with Okpara because his feet were way beyond should width apart when setting ball screens. All of those should have been fouls on Okpara.

There is way too much illegal screening going on in games. They need to clean that up.
If they did that Edey would foul out in the first half or be lost on the bench forever.

Okpara was moving on every ball screen he set. Every. Single. One.

if they called this accurately, Jay Edwards would have only averaged 12 ppg in 1988-89 and Sloan-Screen 45 would not have been made legend by Dick Vitale. Brian Sloan was the jedi master of the tokyo drift screen and Jay took full advantage of it.

The refs were really focusing on this for many years, but in recently years it appears that they have softened.

In all honesty, over that last 50 yrs, there have probably been more 'moving' screens set inside Assembly Hall than any other court in the nation. It was a staple within the RMK motion offense. Not blatant moving screens...but....subtle.

if they called this accurately, Jay Edwards would have only averaged 12 ppg in 1988-89 and Sloan-Screen 45 would not have been made legend by Dick Vitale. Brian Sloan was the jedi master of the tokyo drift screen and Jay took full advantage of it.

The refs were really focusing on this for many years, but in recently years it appears that they have softened.

In all honesty, over that last 50 yrs, there have probably been more 'moving' screens set inside Assembly Hall than any other court in the nation. It was a staple within the RMK motion offense. Not blatant moving screens...but....subtle.
Not totally sure I agree with that. Knight was a stickler on getting set correctly and for the cutter to damn near bust elbows with the screener. If he didn’t, or he went too early, there’d be hell to pay.

Often times the screener will extend his buttocks to disrupt the defender. Pretty sure that’s a violation also.

Your worried about screens ? And the program is in free fall.
It's really not true that Indiana fans know basketball 🤔

• Wow
Reactions: Bucket Getter
My post wasn't about Edey and Purdue specifically. Illegal screening is running rampant in college basketball. I should be cleaned up. It won't be though. The idiots in charge think people like to see high scoring games. Dumb
I don't notice Edey extending his legs out, but I do think he's moving on his screens a lot. Often repositions himself into the defender, which I thought was a moving screen.

I don't notice Edey extending his legs out, but I do think he's moving on his screens a lot. Often repositions himself into the defender, which I thought was a moving screen.
It is. If the officials corrected the illegal screening, basketball would start to look like basketball again instead of football or the holding/hugging game defenders have to employ to have a chance at beating those illegal screens.

Exactly!!!! There are some that like to do the little "HIP CHECK" at the end.... that's never called.
Knight always taught as a screener once contact is made by defender roll into defender and shape up to ball. So if cutter is going baseline snd defender is trailing once degender makes contact with screener you roll your ass into defender and shape up to ball as you are doing it.
Knight also used to teach knee in ass on post defense and once offensive player is mid post side front and deny.
The moving screen is something IU was very good at doing but not getting called for. It is like holding in football.

Knight always taught as a screener once contact is made by defender roll into defender and shape up to ball. So if cutter is going baseline snd defender is trailing once degender makes contact with screener you roll your ass into defender and shape up to ball as you are doing it.
Knight also used to teach knee in ass on post defense and once offensive player is mid post side front and deny.
The moving screen is something IU was very good at doing but not getting called for. It is like holding in football.
Brian Evans would get his knees up under guys from behind better than anyone I remember. His thighs and lower back were strong he could almost sit up under you.

Reactions: Tscurlo
I agree. He sets moving and illegal screens every game.
Not unlike sll the other teams in college, high school and NBA. You sre more apt to be called for a moving screen being a ball handler than as screener on the ball. There are basically no moving screens called away from the ball.

Wow. Thank you.

Oh to go back to the days for the real Pick and Roll.

Defender has to be set.... NOT MOVING AT ALL into position... before the guard cuts around you.

Feet.... shoulder width apart.

Arms crossed and within your shoulders, hands across each other covering your privates.

Then roll DIRECTLY towards the basket... not RIDING the defender off the lane to shield him from the shooter.

If Edey gets any wider on screens, Smith might accidentally dribble underneath him without ducking.

If Edey gets any wider on screens, Smith might accidentally dribble underneath him without ducking.
Just finished watching the Rutgers/Wisky game. Something I noticed it that game.... #22 for Rutgers.... during his screens..... his feet had to be 36-42 inches apart.

Just finished watching the Rutgers/Wisky game. Something I noticed it that game.... #22 for Rutgers.... during his screens..... his feet had to be 36-42 inches apart.

My biggest annoyance is that in my grade school youth basketball league sometime in the 80's, I got foul calls all the time for moving screens and all the shit Edey gets away with.

My over under/under for uncalled Edey travels, uncalled Loyer flops, and Gillis acting like a tough guy in today's game is 8 1/2.

• Haha
Reactions: Nieman
My post wasn't about Edey and Purdue specifically. Illegal screening is running rampant in college basketball. I should be cleaned up. It won't be though. The idiots in charge think people like to see high scoring games. Dumb
I agree. Every screen shows the player lean, shift the hips, or moves his feet.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
I agree. Every screen shows the player lean, shift the hips, or moves his feet.
Watch Edey's dancing feet next time he sets a screen. He not only hipchecks and leans but his feet are usually not stationary either.

The most dramatic thing I've seen tonight us how Edey drawfs Ware when they were standing side by side during a foul shot.

Reactions: Ty Webb iu
Haha yep! Those teams with Mandeville, Lindeman, Eggers & Mujezinovic lead America in moving screens lol.

We may suck but remember 5-0. National titles for Indiana…..a big fat goose egg for that shit team of yours

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT