ADVERTISEMENT

If we assume FSU ends up destroying the ACC...

...which 2 ACC related schools do you think we would add to the B1G?

• Notre Dame

Votes: 33 45.8%
  • Florida State

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • Miami

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • Clemson

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • North Carolina

Votes: 28 38.9%
  • Virginia

Votes: 22 30.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%

• Total voters
The ACC is not going to break up. They will be similar to the Big 12……which is one step below the BIG and SEC.

FSU is forcing this move in order to get into the SEC.

The answer to your question is Notre Dame and either Clemson or Virginia. Virginia is a strong academic school and provides another rival for Maryland. Although UNC makes sense academically, they will always stay together with Duke.

So what markets is btn in without having a school in the vicinity?

So you don't think the Big Ten cared about getting BTN into the California, Washington and Oregon markets?
if that were the case (markets not brands) they could have taken WSU, OSU and Cal at yard sale prices
markets =/= brands

Reactions: vesuvius13
My biggest question, and what I think is being extremely under-reported, is does FSU breaking the grant of rights with the ACC open the floodgates to the same thing happening in other leagues - thus allowing the quick formation of a super league at any time?
I guess the answer to that one goes back to that old punch line, " Now that We have established Who and What We are, it;s just a matter of agreeing on the price."

Saw an article yesterday where a ticket broker was interviewed and stating that the demand for tickets for the Georgia -FSU Bowl Game was considerably less than anticipated, and the demand from FSU fans was much less than the demand from Georgia. I can understand the disappointment of not being in the Championship Bracket, but it seems a little strange given the fact that the game is being played in Florida.

Saw an article yesterday where a ticket broker was interviewed and stating that the demand for tickets for the Georgia -FSU Bowl Game was considerably less than anticipated, and the demand from FSU fans was much less than the demand from Georgia. I can understand the disappointment of not being in the Championship Bracket, but it seems a little strange given the fact that the game is being played in Florida.
All of their guys have opted out or are hurt.

Um.. Notre Dame’s market is the entire country, plus Ireland, of course. Traditionally, they are the Yankees of college football and have fans everywhere.
Notre Dame has such a huge following today because several generations ago the Pope made brilliant marketing decisions. He said “no” to birth control, “no” to divorce, “no” to marriage outside an all-Catholic bond and promoted the 3 F’s-“Faith, FAMILY, and Football.

Having 8-10 kids in just about every Catholic family is paying major dividends today. Catholics stick together as if glued by their disciplined upbringing based upon blind obedience to the Pope, thus there are a huge number of them today with a stranglehold on support. The Pope is their “Jesus” who walks amongst them today, uniting their way of thinking as One.

A basic law found throughout nature: strength is found in large numbers, especially when those numbers act alike. Think about it…today, Notre Dame gets to call their own shots as to where they play. Everyone else wants what they have to bring to the table…large numbers, numbers with “$” signs!

Reactions: hoosier roadtrips
It's all about markets.

Big Ten is already in Indiana so Notre Dame doesn't really add anything even if they could be convinced.

I'm Florida State or Miami to get the Florida market and then Clemson or North Carolina to get one of the Carolinas.
Totally wrong. CF is all about TV eyeballs which translates to the huge money we're seeing today. ND is always among the top watched CF programs year in and out. Here's a list of the top 2022 programs

ND will eventually have to join either the SEC or BIG and the BIG makes a ton more sense for them. Once the ACC breaks up they won't have any decent teams to schedule as an independent. I doubt SEC/BIG teams will want to schedule them out of conference.

Right on target. Their schedule will consist of C-USA, academies, M-West and maybe B12 if they survive. Tuff to build a playoff resume from that bunch.

They can build a playoff résumé from that bunch when it’s a 12 team playoff because they will continue to play Southern Cal, and not everyone is going to say no to scheduling them.. And it might get bigger than 12.
They're terrified of playing a real schedule and that's why they won't join a conference. They prefer to try and gimmick their way into the playoffs each year. It will never happen until they are absolutely forced to which I don't foresee happening anytime soon.

Totally wrong. CF is all about TV eyeballs which translates to the huge money we're seeing today. ND is always among the top watched CF programs year in and out. Here's a list of the top 2022 programs

Yes, it's about tv eyeballs and you get more of those by adding more markets.

ND wouldn't add any more markets because it is located in Indiana. Random states across the country wouldn't add BTN just because they have some ND fans living in the area.

There are tons of IU fans living in California. California wasn't in the BTN footprint until the Cali schools joined.

They're terrified of playing a real schedule and that's why they won't join a conference. They prefer to try and gimmick their way into the playoffs each year. It will never happen until they are absolutely forced to which I don't foresee happening anytime soon.
I despise Notre Dame but their schedule is fine almost every year.

Yes, it's about tv eyeballs and you get more of those by adding more markets.

ND wouldn't add any more markets because it is located in Indiana. Random states across the country wouldn't add BTN just because they have some ND fans living in the area.

There are tons of IU fans living in California. California wasn't in the BTN footprint until the Cali schools joined.
In 2022, streamers surpassed cable subscribers. That’s obviously going to continue. Markets just aren’t as important as they were.

In 2022, streamers surpassed cable subscribers. That’s obviously going to continue. Markets just aren’t as important as they were.

Even streaming tv is localized on stuff like sports channels.

Does anyone have an example of an area that has BTN commonly placed in base packages (streaming or not) that doesn't have a big ten campus anywhere in the state or vicinity?

Does anyone have an example of an area that has BTN commonly placed in base packages (streaming or not) that doesn't have a big ten campus anywhere in the state or vicinity?
So?

The markets were all about the number of subscribers they could charge for BTN. Now that BTN is on YouTube, Fubo, name your streaming service, it doesn’t matter where you live. Cable subscribers just aren’t as important with more people streaming than subscribing.

So?

The markets were all about the number of subscribers they could charge for BTN. Now that BTN is on YouTube, Fubo, name your streaming service, it doesn’t matter where you live. Cable subscribers just aren’t as important with more people streaming than subscribing.

I have youtube tv. Only have BTN and SEC (not sure when that got added). I don't recall it being on there originally but I'm guessing there are more conference based stations than those 2.

The stats tell the story of how complicated the decision on which ACC schools to add really is. Let's assume ND will never join the B1G. The two most attractive from a football viewer (i.e., media overlord) perspective are Clemson (#10) and Florida State (#15), neither of which are AAU members. The Presidents (prizing AAU membership) and Hoops favorites are notably further down the list with North Carolina at #46 and Virginia #79.

The stats tell the story of how complicated the decision on which ACC schools to add really is. Let's assume ND will never join the B1G. The two most attractive from a football viewer (i.e., media overlord) perspective are Clemson (#10) and Florida State (#15), neither of which are AAU members. The Presidents (prizing AAU membership) and Hoops favorites are notably further down the list with North Carolina at #46 and Virginia #79.
Fox has an amount they have pre-agreed to for FSU to join.

Reactions: Rags to Roses
Notre Dame has such a huge following today because several generations ago the Pope made brilliant marketing decisions. He said “no” to birth control, “no” to divorce, “no” to marriage outside an all-Catholic bond and promoted the 3 F’s-“Faith, FAMILY, and Football.

Having 8-10 kids in just about every Catholic family is paying major dividends today. Catholics stick together as if glued by their disciplined upbringing based upon blind obedience to the Pope, thus there are a huge number of them today with a stranglehold on support. The Pope is their “Jesus” who walks amongst them today, uniting their way of thinking as One.

A basic law found throughout nature: strength is found in large numbers, especially when those numbers act alike. Think about it…today, Notre Dame gets to call their own shots as to where they play. Everyone else wants what they have to bring to the table…large numbers, numbers with “$” signs!
ND is really a monopoly among Catholic fans and players because (except for Boston College) no other Catholic program plays in the FBS division. if the large number of Catholic schools which play major basketball also played top level football it would cut into ND's fandom.

ND is really a monopoly among Catholic fans and players because (except for Boston College) no other Catholic program plays in the FBS division. if the large number of Catholic schools which play major basketball also played top level football it would cut into ND's fandom.
Every young Catholic boy grows up dreaming of one day playing for the Fighting Irish. It’s their birthright.

So, is it fair to say Fox (& other networks) are cool with any choice, they merely pay different amounts based on the B1G presidents choice(s)? Or, do they skew the amounts to the degree where it becomes very hard for the presidents to make any choice other than what Fox desires?
I don’t know for sure but I’d say neither

Reactions: Rags to Roses
Every young Catholic boy grows up dreaming of one day playing for the Fighting Irish. It’s their birthright.
And I have always resented the favoritism given to ND regarding voting for the polls and often the bowl games. I remember Lee Corso, the biggest ND fan among the broadcasters, getting into a discussion with Mike Gottfried about ND going to a bowl. Corso basically admitted that ND was not good enough, but made the position that ND would create a sellout for the bowl. Gottfried said that ND was not worthy of playing. Corso also once said that "everybody" wants to play for the Irish. I was mad about hearing that because it was so ridiculous.

I was told by many that they had this elite defense yet gave up 42 points in one half.
They were missing all the players up front except one DE player which included LBs. They all sat out of the game and it showed. This doesn't include offensive players including the QB that took over the starting job when the starter got hurt that sat out.

Reactions: red hornet

My biggest problem is the players who opt out , not due to injury , but still travel to the game with the team , get all the perks , and are pictured standing on the sidelines.I think if you opt out , then you have chosen not to be part of the team anymore. You have abandoned your teammates and team . So stay home , or buy a ticket and sit in the stands . The sidelines are for the team , which you are no longer part of .

Media doesn't seem to have a handle on what the chances are of a settlement in the lawsuits that FSU or ACC will accept.

I see some sites saying it'll cost FSU $450 million to leave. FSU says $570 mil. So they are suing.

I can't find any legal sites giving any estimates or odds of what amounts or what will happen in the lawsuit.

Reactions: red hornet

The B1G was actually dropped on a bunch of comcast affiliate cable areas. It’s more complicated than Mac and Cheese thinks. You want the market area. It’s a combination of things. Credits for certain games.

Reactions: jsenleo
I think those schools only make sense when looked at through a basketball lens. They add little to the football TV inventory which is what drives the bus nowadays.
They add more probably wins for us in Football. I think they'd be the two I'd allow in

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT