ADVERTISEMENT

If only this team did the fundamentals well

No improvement either since the Michigan game. They’ve regressed.

Confidence is gone and the same three guys are being asked to do it all. When you have to press every time you have the ball bad things happen. Hard to have an offensive flow when it is 2-3 vs 5.

You forgot no outside shooting to spread the court and actually make us hard to defend.
Despite all the other problems, we lost it at the line. Hit the free ones, especially the front end of the 1-and-1's and we get the W.
Smith has been playing good defense for several games, nice to see him score. He was the only real bright spot.

You forgot no outside shooting to spread the court and actually make us hard to defend.
Despite all the other problems, we lost it at the line. Hit the free ones, especially the front end of the 1-and-1's and we get the W.
Smith has been playing good defense for several games, nice to see him score. He was the only real bright spot.

If only we could:

Pass, dribble, rebound, shoot, guard, box out, coach and defend....we’d have a pretty good basketball program.

Unfortunately, every single aspect of the game of basketball we are terrible including coaching.

This is like saying: “If only my car had an engine, I could get it to move.”

Reactions: Upset Alert
If only we could:

Pass, dribble, rebound, shoot, guard, box out, coach and defend....we’d have a pretty good basketball program.

Unfortunately, every single aspect of the game of basketball we are terrible including coaching.

This is like saying: “If only my car had an engine, I could get it to move.”

now was this going on all season when we were winning all those games or has this been like a last few games thing when we haven't been playing well? please, break it down for us. you have a lot to say about this. and i do mean a lot, but i'm not seeing a lot of specifics.

If IU could have been respectable at the line and 3, it's a different ball game. Purdur doesn't and didn't cover the 3 very well. Part of that was their strategy this game but IU needs a couple shooters.

When a screen by Morgan at half-court freeing up RP to drive for a lay-up during early come back is the best offensive play run all day, there is certainly a problem. Doesn't seem to be a lot of purposeful movement, on or off ball screens, or pulling our big men outside to the arc to make the other teams bigs vacate the lane once in a while. What exactly is the IU offensive philosophy??

When a screen by Morgan at half-court freeing up RP to drive for a lay-up during early come back is the best offensive play run all day, there is certainly a problem. Doesn't seem to be a lot of purposeful movement, on or off ball screens, or pulling our big men outside to the arc to make the other teams bigs vacate the lane once in a while. What exactly is the IU offensive philosophy??

Who are we trying to free up? Zach? Al? RP? Green? JS? What good is it to free up someone that has a 30% outside shot? RP may be the best option of the group and he is not back to full speed yet. This is a two man team pure and simple. Not hard to play 5 on two and we showed it the last two games.

IUBBALL, you started this thread re fundamentals. At this level, it's my opinion a competent offensive system is fundamental also. I don't see one. When teams take away options 1 and 2, Running SOMETHING to free up Romeo would be a good start vs him just going 1 on 1 to the hole. And yes, I think RP and Al could hit some 3's when/if screens were run for them. Totally agree with you re FTs, bad passes and missed box outs.

Reactions: glidresquirrel
I have trouble understanding how a major college basketball team can be so terrible at the free throw line. At this level, a team should be able to hit a team average of 70-75% of its free throws. Free Throw Shooting is a matter of repetition and technique. Once you are comfortable with your technique, you should be able to repeat the technique time after time and be a consistent free throw shooter. One has to wonder how much practice time is devoted to free throws, and what they are doing if anything to improve technique for the poor shooters.

I have trouble understanding how a major college basketball team can be so terrible at the free throw line. At this level, a team should be able to hit a team average of 70-75% of its free throws. Free Throw Shooting is a matter of repetition and technique. Once you are comfortable with your technique, you should be able to repeat the technique time after time and be a consistent free throw shooter. One has to wonder how much practice time is devoted to free throws, and what they are doing if anything to improve technique for the poor shooters.
It is funny that Alford was a 90% free throw shooter but his UCLA team was worse than we are shooting free throws.

Reactions: glidresquirrel
It isn't what you think should happen, it is what does happen. Shooting, in general has been turned into drive or 3. The art of shooting well is less common and less emphasized than it used to be. Modern players are better with the ball on the drive though. No question there.

I suppose if anyone watched IU practice they could find out how many reps guys are taking at the line. Obviously not enough.

It isn't what you think should happen, it is what does happen. Shooting, in general has been turned into drive or 3. The art of shooting well is less common and less emphasized than it used to be. Modern players are better with the ball on the drive though. No question there.

I suppose if anyone watched IU practice they could find out how many reps guys are taking at the line. Obviously not enough.
My question is when did basketball become jus having you drive all the way to the basket or shoot threes/ To me this philosophy is totally hurting the game of basketball and it is not as fun to watch. I have been able to rewatch a few of the tournament games from 81 and non of those teams dribbled more than a couple of times in the half court offense before they passed the ball. The game seemed more fluid and less rushed than it does today because players just dribble way to much today. I just don't understand why any coach thinks this style is a better way of running a offense. It is funny that scoring and shooting is lower today than it was the even though there is a shot clock and a 3 pointer. Anyone who thinks that the pace was slower back then needs to watch some of those games because most of our shots came off of 3 or fewer passes.

It is funny that Alford was a 90% free throw shooter but his UCLA team was worse than we are shooting free throws.
I suspect this is the same thing we see in other sports. The people who are really good at a particular skill didn't have to think about how they did it, and can't convey it to other people. Ted Williams in my opinion was the best pure hitter ever in major league baseball. Yet, when he became a manager, he couldn't convey that knowledge, method, and skill to his players. In fact, if you look at the hitting coaches in major league baseball, many of them had very pedestrian careers, and some never made it to the majors. However in order to develop their ability as hitters, they had to pay attention to technique and detail. Therefore, they are better positioned to convey this knowledge to current players and help them improve.

I suspect this is the same thing we see in other sports. The people who are really good at a particular skill didn't have to think about how they did it, and can't convey it to other people. Ted Williams in my opinion was the best pure hitter ever in major league baseball. Yet, when he became a manager, he couldn't convey that knowledge, method, and skill to his players. In fact, if you look at the hitting coaches in major league baseball, many of them had very pedestrian careers, and some never made it to the majors. However in order to develop their ability as hitters, they had to pay attention to technique and detail. Therefore, they are better positioned to convey this knowledge to current players and help them improve.
My Dad would like you. He's been a Red Sox fan since 46 because of Ted Williams. He knows everything about the Splendid Splinter. At his age he might forget certain people's names. But he can tell you just about ever stat from William's career.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT