ADVERTISEMENT

If not Allen who do (and can) you fire?

MMcCormick

Sophomore
Dec 7, 2004
If you can't fire Allen, who can you fire to try and improve the team? Obviously you want to get rid of Bell. That's a good starting point, but you also need a real defensive coordinator. Allen has to be fired as DC. Chad Wilt has brought nothing to the table and he's coaching out of position. Linebacker play has been terrible. He's a natural and well respected line coach. The defensive line coach has been terrible. You could replace him with Wilton. The Oline coach seems to have at least improved the position group and is well respected. I supposed you try and keep him. The special teams coach needs to go in my mind. Isn't he related to Allen?

I would just let it be at this point. Who can a lame duck HC convince to come to IU?

Maybe he'll turn it around next year. Maybe he won't. If he does that's great. If he doesn't then we're no worse off.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Both coordinators are new hires. Allen is , in essence, his own DC. So many position groups are trainwrecks. Not sure, at this point, any replacements would matter. Plus, as previously noted, who could he get, he's a dead man walking as an HC at this point?

Ever since Wellman was brought on, we have had a dramatic increase in injuries and a significant decrease in performance of individual players across the board. Of all the players on the roster, I can only come up with 2 players who have physically improved under Wellman (Cam Jones and Fitzgerald). When the evidence of improvement is that scarce, you can argue that those 2 improved despite Wellman and not because of him.

For the obscene amount we are paying him, Wellman should provide the program with a distinct advantage. He has failed, and it is time to move in another direction. CTA cannot afford to drag his feet on this one like he did with Hiller. He needs to be a leader and make the right decision for the program.

Ever since Wellman was brought on, we have had a dramatic increase in injuries and a significant decrease in performance of individual players across the board. Of all the players on the roster, I can only come up with 2 players who have physically improved under Wellman (Cam Jones and Fitzgerald). When the evidence of improvement is that scarce, you can argue that those 2 improved despite Wellman and not because of him.

For the obscene amount we are paying him, Wellman should provide the program with a distinct advantage. He has failed, and it is time to move in another direction. CTA cannot afford to drag his feet on this one like he did with Hiller. He needs to be a leader and make the right decision for the program.
This. I was so optimistic when we managed to replace our excellent strength and conditioning coaches with a guy from the NFL, but almost everything has gone wrong since then. Injuries have piled up massively in both the last two years and we tend to just look weaker than a lot of our opponents in the trenches. He's been a massive disappointment.

Reactions: DANC and Indianaftw

In Wellman’s defense, he was told to lighten guys up this year, particularly up front on O. Bell sold Allen on his spread tempo approach and convinced him we needed to follow the model other teams had used to make that system work (think Oregon under Chip, when O linemen were routinely much lighter than their counterparts at other P5 schools). Everybody up front got put on stricter diets, with target weights and weigh ins leading up to the season.

It’s hard to say without being able to observe how the members of the coaching staff work together. Maybe just leave it intact and let it cook over the offseason.

Reactions: midwolfe
It’s hard to say without being able to observe how the members of the coaching staff work together. Maybe just leave it intact and let it cook over the offseason.
As has been the case in previous off seasons, staff turnover is very likely to occur.

Bell is coaching for his job on Saturday I think. I’m strangely sanguine. Dexter and Lucas have me feeling better about the future. Go Iowa, seal out Purdue and let’s play for pride and win the bucket!

Reactions: DANC
In Wellman’s defense, he was told to lighten guys up this year, particularly up front on O. Bell sold Allen on his spread tempo approach and convinced him we needed to follow the model other teams had used to make that system work (think Oregon under Chip, when O linemen were routinely much lighter than their counterparts at other P5 schools). Everybody up front got put on stricter diets, with target weights and weigh ins leading up to the season.
None of that matters. Zero. The bottom line is results. Ballou and Rhea had their guys on massive diet plans. It worked, Wellman doesn't. You want me to post his record for the 50th time. Every team was in a downward spiral.

Reactions: IUgradman
I would just let it be at this point. Who can a lame duck HC convince to come to IU?

Maybe he'll turn it around next year. Maybe he won't. If he does that's great. If he doesn't then we're no worse off.
I thought the consensus was he had two more years? If fired before Dec 1 2024 his buyout would be more than $20m including his 2024 salary. If they wait until then it’s only like $8m. Just don’t see it for football. Indiana probably has more talent than they’ve had in football in decades. Firing Allen would set them back pretty far as it could cost them a lot of talent in the NIL and portal world. They’re better off paying record price for coordinators than shelling out an extra $12m (plus whatever you would pay your new coach) who can coach up the talent.

None of that matters. Zero. The bottom line is results. Ballou and Rhea had their guys on massive diet plans. It worked, Wellman doesn't. You want me to post his record for the 50th time. Every team was in a downward spiral.
You don’t think Wellman was told to lighten guys up? You don’t believe Wellman has players on diet plans? You’d be completely wrong on both matters.

Wellmans record
Michigan 2011-2014
11-2
8-5
7-6
5-7

Giants 2016-2019
11-5
3-13
5-11
4-12

IU 2020
6-2
4-10
4-7

Yep, I said this after last year when we had so many injuries.

Wellman's big selling point was that injuries when he was with the Giants went down. It doesn't appear his method works with college players.

And we're sure as hell not any faster, Lucas nothwithstanding.

Reactions: Indianaftw
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT